Bill Belichick Evaluates Jets QB Sam Darnold After His Third NFL Season

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've said it before, the perfect landing spot for Darnold if he was tossed by the Jets would be the Pats.  Would not happen due to same division but he would be a good fit for them.

If anyone is going to squeeze water from a rock, it's Belichick. He would tailor his offense around Darnold's skillset and have Darnold playing at a top 16 QB level. What he has done with a past his prime Cam Newton is impressive. 

He doesn't say much and I have no idea if he really means any of the actual praise he gives in the opening part.

Let's just pretend he does mean those things, would anyone's opinion change?  

One thing I do find interesting is that Belichick talks about his strong arm.  I agree Darnold has a strong arm, plenty strong enough, but many here think he has a weak arm.  I never see that.  He makes weak throws because of poor mechanics in my opinion, but for physical tools he has it all.  Other aspects, not as much.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Belichick keeps mentioning that Darnold getting good coaching. Do you think he really means it? 

maybe.  little joshy and gase both worked under saban and he worked under the bellichicken.  there's more here than just a guy saying things about an opposing coach.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He doesn't say much and I have no idea if he really means any of the actual praise he gives in the opening part.

One thing I do find interesting is that Belichick talks about his strong arm.  I agree Darnold has a strong arm, plenty strong enough, but many here think he has a weak arm.  I never see that.  He makes weak throws because of poor mechanics in my opinion, but for physical tools he has it all.  Other aspects, not as much.

Its because there isn’t much to compliment about his game, it sounds better than saying “he has a average arm”(which is the truth). Wouldn’t overvalue a compliment like this from a dude like Bill 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Sam has a very good NFL arm. Throws plenty of 20-30 yard frozen ropes. Lack of arm strength isn't why he sucks. 

Sam's problems are mostly between his ears. He has trouble getting through his progressions and finding the right guy to throw to, particularly when blitzed. He also has terrible deep ball accuracy and really bad mechanics (that tend to completely erode when he is under pressure). This year, he just seems to lack confidence and I always get the impression he is super nervous.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Its because there isn’t much to compliment about his game, it sounds better than saying “he has a average arm”(which is the truth). Wouldn’t overvalue a compliment like this from a dude like Bill 

I'm not overvaluing it.  I'm not valuing it one way or the otherAs I indicated in my post you responded to, I've never thought his arm strength was an issue, or even average as you say.  He has a strong arm. I've thought that well before Belichick just said it   Is it too top elite like Allen or Mahomes?  No, but he has better arm strength then a lot of QBs who start on Sunday's 

Unfortunately arm strength is also not exactly always a great indicator of success.

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ironically I don't believe Belichick is being disingenuous. It's easy for us to bash Gase for his lack of managerial skills, inability to adjust, playcalling, and his ego, but there is a reason why he's respected for his offensive mind. His system works for advanced QBs. It's hard to master, but if paired with an experienced QB where their understanding of the position is second nature to them, it can be deadly... just watch all the clips Jets X-Factor posts every week... there's an open guy on every play that Sam "misses", but in reality, it's just that Sam is late to them because he's not as developed as a 35-year-old Jon Kitna, 36-year-old Peyton Manning, 32-year-old Jay Cutler, 32-year-old Matt Moore, and even Joe Flacco this season. 

Gase puts a lot on his QBs. More than most coaches. His scheme works through the QB, and he expects his QB to read the defense pre-and-post snap, call out protections, and make his progressions to find the open man. The QB has immense amounts of responsibility and a lot to process. It's the "school of hard knocks" for a young QB that's not necessarily developed on the mental side of the game. But players come away from the experience having gained greater understanding of the position, what defenses are trying to do to them, how to handle situations, etc. 

My unpopular opinion that I've held since before Gase coached his first game with the Jets: there is a good chance Darnold comes out of working with Gase and is better both in spite of and because of Gase. In retrospect the easy and popular comparison has been Ryan Tannehill. 

Like Darnold, Tannehill struggled under Gase. He was better in some statistical categories, but horrific in QBR, EPA, and PFF (last in the league among starters). Unlike the other QBs Gase had worked with and similar to Darnold, Tannehill was under-developed in the mental aspect of the game; he didn't become a full-time QB until his RS-Sr. season in college (was a WR prior). Like Darnold, he was raw when he entered the NFL despite his age (24). He struggled under Gase, yet gives him a tremendous amount of credit for the QB he is today. I don't think it's disingenuous. No doubt Arthur Smith deserves the bulk of the credit for getting the most out of Tannehill, but Tannehill learned a lot from Gase, which has become second nature to him in a simplified scheme and allowed him to just go out and play rather than think. 

The best analogy I can give is a golf comparison. If you are an amature golfer and go play Bethpage Black, you're going to get destroyed. You can play the course 100 times, and you're still going to get destroyed every time. Despite the results, you're learning a lot more about golf philosophy and approach - the types of swings, club usage, angles, etc. - that you wouldn't have learned if you're just grippin' and rippin' it. Assuming you're not a mental midget, you'll come away from your experience a much better golfer and produce insanely better results if you go play at a simple course. The Bethpage Black experience serves as the "school of hard knocks", and you ultimately become a good golfer because of it. 

I strongly believe this will be the case for Darnold. I think he will come away having learned a lot of the mental aspect of the position, and if he's in a simplified system that promotes easy reads (via play-action/pre-snap motion/half-field reads/RPOs/etc.) and prioritizes his mechanics, it will do him wonders whether with the Jets or someone else. 

Hm, nope. No, don't like all this Gase praise. Take it back.

• Haha 1

I'm not overvaluing it.  I'm not valuing it one way or the otherAs I indicated in my post you responded to, I've never thought his arm strength was an issue, or even average as you say.  He has a strong arm. I've thought that well before Belichick just said it   Is it too top elite like Allen or Mahomes?  No, but he has better arm strength then a lot of QBs who start on Sunday's 
Unfortunately arm strength is also not exactly always a great indicator of success.
Darnolds arm strength is a bit at the lower tier of the scale of NFL QBs. Tired of seeing underthrown deep balls.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

He never bad mouths players. But with how much Rodney Harrison oozes his Jets hate on the Sunday night pregame, you know BB hates the Jets so much that it sticks with his players.

I don’t think he’s being entirely disingenuous. Darnold can make all the throws. His biggest issues is consistency because of poor mechanics. I don’t believe him at all when he says he is being well coached and is in a good system.

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Belichick is complimentary of other players and coaches. He is not going to give anyone bulletin board material. He's complimentary of Darnold like a woman is complimentary of her less attractive friend. "My friend is GORGEOUS! You would love her."

Or...he doesn't underestimate his opponent. Like any half-decent strategist. 

You hope for the best, but you plan for the worst.

Bear in mind that the Jets nearly beat the Patriots last time. 

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

He never bad mouths players. But with how much Rodney Harrison oozes his Jets hate on the Sunday night pregame, you know BB hates the Jets so much that it sticks with his players.

I don’t think he’s being entirely disingenuous. Darnold can make all the throws. His biggest issues is consistency. I don’t believe him at all when he says he is being well coached and is in a good system.

Coach-speak isn't targeted at the media, its targeted at the players.

He's telling his players what he wants them to think so they take the game as seriously as possible. Its easy to switch-off before a game against a 2-14 team. 

• Upvote 1