Bill Belichick Evaluates Jets QB Sam Darnold After His Third NFL Season

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not overvaluing it.  I'm not valuing it one way or the otherAs I indicated in my post you responded to, I've never thought his arm strength was an issue, or even average as you say.  He has a strong arm. I've thought that well before Belichick just said it   Is it too top elite like Allen or Mahomes?  No, but he has better arm strength then a lot of QBs who start on Sunday's 

Unfortunately arm strength is also not exactly always a great indicator of success.

Go rewatch the Sea vs NYJ highlights, watch Russell throw and watch Darnold. Russell isn’t considered to have the strongest arm in the world but his arm strength is vastly greater than Sams. 

So who has a strong arm and what is a strong arm?????

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Darnolds arm strength is a bit at the lower tier of the scale of NFL QBs. Tired of seeing underthrown deep balls.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

If that's where you think he falls then so be it 

I will say the "under thrown deep balls" comment really has nothing to do with arm strength.  The average NFL deep ball probably travels somewhere between 30-40 yards in the air.  Almost every QB on an NFL roster can heave a ball 50 yards if able to properly step into a throw.  Deep ball accuracy is about timing and trajectory.  Deshaun Watson is one of the most accurate deep ball throwers in the league and his arm isn't as strong as Darnolds.  He is probably near the bottom of the NFL in arm strength.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Go rewatch the Sea vs NYJ highlights, watch Russell throw and watch Darnold. Russell isn’t considered to have the strongest arm in the world but his arm strength is vastly greater than Sams. 

So who has a strong arm and what is a strong arm?????

I don't need to rewatch anything. I don't just come here and spout a baseless opinion.  That's not my style. If you think Russell Wilson has a "vastly greater" arm then Darnold then I don't have a response for you.

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I will say the "under thrown deep balls" comment really has nothing to do with arm strength.  The average NFL deep ball probably travels somewhere between 30-40 yards in tbe air.  Almost ever QB on an NFL roster can heave a ball 50 yards if able to properly step into a throw.  Deep ball accuracy is about timing and trajectory.  Deshaun Watson is one of the most accurate deep ball throwers in tbe league and his arm isn't as strong as Darnolds.  He is probably near the bottom of the NFL in arm strength.

I will reiterate what Daniel Jeremiah said in a radio interview before last year’s draft. He was watching Joe Burrow working out with Darnold and Josh Allen. The question came up about Burrow’s arm strength compared to the other two. DJ said it’s unfair to compare anyone with Allen. When asked about Darnold, he said Darnold has a way stronger arm. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If anyone is going to squeeze water from a rock, it's Belichick. He would tailor his offense around Darnold's skillset and have Darnold playing at a top 16 QB level. What he has done with a past his prime Cam Newton is impressive. 

I’m not sure what Cam has done is impressive. 

I will say the "under thrown deep balls" comment really has nothing to do with arm strength.  The average NFL deep ball probably travels somewhere between 30-40 yards in the air.  Almost every QB on an NFL roster can heave a ball 50 yards if able to properly step into a throw.  Deep ball accuracy is about timing and trajectory.  Deshaun Watson is one of the most accurate deep ball throwers in the league and his arm isn't as strong as Darnolds.  He is probably near the bottom of the NFL in arm strength.
Look compared to Brady, Brees, wilson, Rogers, Allen, etcwtc darnolds velocity is not close.... and I absolutely love guys here disparaging bradys arm ... its comical.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

His system works for advanced QBs. It's hard to master, but if paired with an experienced QB where their understanding of the position is second nature to them, it can be deadly... just watch all the clips Jets X-Factor posts every week... there's an open guy on every play that Sam "misses", but in reality, it's just that Sam is late to them because he's not as developed as a 35-year-old Jon Kitna, 36-year-old Peyton Manning, 

I strongly believe this will be the case for Darnold. I think he will come away having learned a lot of the mental aspect of the position, and if he's in a simplified system that promotes easy reads (via play-action/pre-snap motion/half-field reads/RPOs/etc.) and prioritizes his mechanics, it will do him wonders whether with the Jets or someone else. 

I agree with this so much, and it’s why the common trend for young QB’s has been RPO their first few years in the league.

Add the fact that one of the knocks on Darnold coming out of USC was that he never learned to play QB...he was always succeeding on natural ability. He was a former linebacker turned QB. 

He went from Clay Helton/Todd Bowles to Adam Gase who tried to force feed him Peyton Mannings offense.

Its like adding/subtracting then jumping to calculus. He needs some multiplying/dividing.

• Upvote 2