You are complicating the draft; what to do with the 2nd pick

Maxman

Just now, slimjasi said:

Fant is solid. It's  a good duo. 

Meanwhile, QB is the weakest position on the team. 

Just take the QB you like and move on

Fant sucks 

but that aside drafting the QB before there's infrastructure to support him pretty much dooms that QB 

don't believe in Sewell? Draft Davonta or best WR if you like 

the offense needs to be totally rebuilt before they bring in that rookie QB and open the Rookie QB SB window 

we just lived through this with Sam 

Just now, bitonti said:

Fant sucks 

but that aside drafting the QB before there's infrastructure to support him pretty much dooms that QB 

the offense needs to be totally rebuilt before they bring in that rookie QB and open the Rookie QB SB window 

He hasn't sucked recently. I've watched him pretty closely. He's fine. And Becton is a 10-15 year stud. 

I love Sewell and absolutely believe in him. I just don't think he's the right pick for the Jets at #2. 

I just don't buy the bolded. When you need a QB and you are picking #2 overall, you take one if you like one. I happen to like Fields and would just take him there. 

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I just don't buy the bolded. When you need a QB and you are picking #2 overall, you take one if you like one. I happen to like Fields and would just take him there. 

Fant is decent in pass protection he offers nothing in the run game which is why the Jets don't/can't run over Fant. Very predictable to always run over Becton. 

the financials of the situation mean that Fields needs an extension/5th year option before JD gets one

at 2 overall that 5th year option would be huge, bigger than Sam's 25 million dollar option they are going to refuse 

take all the Sewell/Fields/Wilson of it aside, that's not how he's going to play it, whether we want it to happen or not

the way every GM, who has a family and a mortgage, should play out their first GM job is to build the line/wr/rb/te first then find the rookie QB who can lead them 

if you do it backwards, then Sam Darnold needs a Matthew Stafford 100 million dollar extension that he didn't earn and it comes a year before the GM contract runs out 

I can buy JD was willing to do it for Trevor.

But that's not really the plan. Look at Russell Wilson, Wentz MVP year and other recent examples of the rookie contract QB with a loaded team around them. And on the other side look at Sam and all the QBs that get steamrolled without a team around them. 

QB is everything but without a functional offense around the QB, these young guys don't stand a chance. 

• Upvote 4

This

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fant sucks 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the financials of the situation mean that Fields needs an extension/5th year option before JD gets one

at 2 overall that 5th year option would be huge, bigger than Sam's 25 million dollar option they are going to refuse 

take all the Sewell/Fields/Wilson of it aside, that's not how he's going to play it, whether we want it to happen or not

the way every GM, who has a family and a mortgage, should play out their first GM job is to build the line/wr/rb/te first then find the rookie QB who can lead them 

if you do it backwards, then Sam Darnold needs a Matthew Stafford 100 million dollar extension that he didn't earn

he was willing to do it for Trevor. But that's not really the plan. Look at Russell Wilson, Wentz MVP year and other recent examples of the rookie contract QB with a loaded team around them  

JD has plenty of time and resources to rebuild the team before Fields needs an extension. He's got picks and money galore and Fields gets at least 2-3 seasons, just like Sam has. Plenty of time. 

Meanwhile, if you are JD and you pass on Fields/Wilson and one of them looks like a stud in year 1 or 2, you are in hot water immediately. 

If JD doesn't like one of these QBs, I don't agree with it but I can accept it as long as he brings in a legit vet to compete with Darnold. But if he does like one of these QBs, he has to take whoever that guy is. 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He hasn't sucked recently. I've watched him pretty closely. He's fine. And Becton is a 10-15 year stud. 

I love Sewell and absolutely believe in him. I just don't think he's the right pick for the Jets at #2. 

me too

10 Fascinating Facts About Cookies - Listverse

Before I went on Keto.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Well, I for one, other then catching the Draft Day reference, happen to be more confused then I was before opening the thread.

Well you aren't confused at all. It was just a bunch of words wrapped around a hidden Draft Day reference.

Congratulations sir, you have cracked the code.

You advance to the next level. Check your inbox for details which will be sent soon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Becton's LT performance last week vs Myles Garrett was problematic 

Garrett almost ripped Sam Darnold's arm off on that FF that was called incomplete  

he's given up, what? 8 sacks this year? 

Don't get me wrong I love Becton, the dude is a mauler but it's possible isn't very great at pass protection  

the whole team improves with his move to RT 

especially the QB who can at least see it coming from the front side

LOL talk about one game bias, yes Becton sucks now. smfh he's a rookie for crying out loud relax, acting as if it isn't possible Sewell wont wet the bed when he arrives in the NFL. Besides the kid hasn't played in a year so anything is possible.

Same goes for Trevor, Zach or Justin could turn out to be better pros, I don't know why that is so hard for some here to accept. Nothing is set in stone. People told me in 2012 that Andrew Luck would be this great transcended talent, well he's currently out the league and a guy named Russell Wilson picked in the 3rd round was the true A+ talent and is on his way to a Hall Of Fame career. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Garrett almost ripped Sam Darnold's arm off on that FF that was called incomplete  

Don't get me wrong I love Becton, the dude is a mauler but it's possible isn't very great at pass protection  

Becton at RT, with the 2nd pick you take the LT. You have a serviceable center.

Can you imagine if they paid Thuney and drafted another guard in the first two rounds?

That is probably the only scenario that you bring Sam back under. Because that unit will run the ball well.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fant sucks 

So when the team is ''built" then we go for a QB? hmmm so likely in that scenario we would need to trade up to get a good young QB OR we would have to sign a Vet and become the Vikings. Sam could have a all-star cast and he would still struggle because he struggle's with accuracy and decision making and clearly isn't the answer. 

We pick at 2 and may never have this opportunity again for another 10 years, if JD likes a QB he has to take him at this point. I just don't see the logic in your plan at all considering this is a deep O-Line class, 3 rounds deep. We don't need to draft another tackle at 2

I trade the pick ( maybe twice ).  I'm scared of the QB's.  I load up on other positions and keep building this team.  I'm with the unpopular choice to either go with Darnold one more year or bring in a veteran like Stafford or Dalton.  I just think building an elite O-line is more important. Getting more elite skill guys in here to make plays should be put in place as well.  Most of all get the right coaching staff and the rest should fall into place.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Sewell won’t be an option. 

So if you’re not crazy about Fields or Wilson and you are impressed with Sewell, how about this: you draft Sewell who I believe is the better prospect. Becton would be furious and probably gain like 300 pounds. You play it out a year or trade him before he gets to 600 pounds. Having 2 LT’s makes no sense. Do the Miami thing they did with Tunsil. You then look for a QB in 2022 since JD is not paying Darnold 25 million. 
According to NFL.com, the Texans have acquired left tackle Laremy Tunsil and wide receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick from the Dolphins. In exchange, Miami will be getting a huge package of draft picks that will include two first-rounders (2020 and 2021) and a 2021 second-round pick. 
Two #1’s and a #2. And you get to take the better prospect. Just a thought. 

I trade the pick ( maybe twice ).  I'm scared of the QB's.  I load up on other positions and keep building this team.  I'm with the unpopular choice to either go with Darnold one more year or bring in a veteran like Stafford or Dalton.  I just think building an elite O-line is more important. Getting more elite skill guys in here to make plays should be put in place as well.  Most of all get the right coaching staff and the rest should fall into place.

This was where my mind was at until I started really watching wilson three weeks ago. Still would not hate this approach. Depends on you confidence in the second tier talent this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

No interest in Sam Darnold getting the 5th year option or an extension, and based on the opportunity of picking at #2 it seems like a QB has to be heavily considered.

Treading water with Darnold or a vet next year won't cut it, nor will an upgrade at RT. If they don't love any of the QBs then trade the pick

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Becton at RT, with the 2nd pick you take the LT. You have a serviceable center.

Can you imagine if they paid Thuney and drafted another guard in the first two rounds?

That is probably the only scenario that you bring Sam back under. Because that unit will run the ball well.

I think this idea is best. You're finally giving Darnold a decent shot and you're setting up the roster for the future if Sam doesn't play well next year. 

Plus, it fits with what we know Joe Douglas's idea of team building with dominant offensive lines. 

3 minutes ago, SpankyJohnson said:

Not a terrible idea. Our roster is crap. Our OL is mediocre. Our QB has underachieved. The strategy behind building up the roster first and then inserting a Qb isn’t bad but sooner or later you will have to draft one and take a risk. KC didn’t flinch when they traded up to get Mahomes which many teams (Jets) passed on. But they did have many pieces in place and even had him sit a year. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

So you want to replace a 21 year old, former #11 overall, because he struggled against one of the best pass rushers in the league, and the way to do it is to replace him with another rookie who didn’t play a down in 2020? 

Yeah, sorry, Sewell won’t even be a consideration. 

• Upvote 4

You can go wrong drafting a safety, or fat defensive tackle, but I don't think you could ever go wrong with an OT who is a better prospect than your current prospect, especially that there are two positions for two people. Sewell is the boring pick, but the safest pick. Fant's acceptable performance at RT is nothing on what a 2nd year Becton can provide. You can't tackle a running back when you just got pancaked. 

If Douglas goes with one of the QB's, I would be happy because it would mean that he valued them over the "can't miss" OL prospect. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

To say that the Jets won't draft Sewell is one thing. To say that he would not be a consideration is another. I HIGHLY doubt that JD is not weighing his options with Sewell vs. QB vs trade down. The Jaguars are not going to consider Sewell, but I cannot for a second think that Sewell won't be considered by the Jets.

36 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

LOL talk about one game bias, yes Becton sucks now. smfh he's a rookie for crying out loud relax

No one said Becton sucked. he gave up 7 sacks over 14 games

he also dominated as a run blocker in a way this league hasn't seen since prime Ogden 

that's what happened 

can he get better at pass protection? let's hope so... but the contrary is also true let's not pretend Becton 11 overall Pro Bowl snub is the best LT of all time. He's just the best LT jets fans have seen for a while.

But he might be an even better RT and we can talk about that without insulting the man on a personal level. Maybe he's an All Pro RT and a Pro Bowl Snub LT 

38 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well you aren't confused at all. It was just a bunch of words wrapped around a hidden Draft Day reference.

Congratulations sir, you have cracked the code.

You advance to the next level. Check your inbox for details which will be sent soon.

the index card just says "Sewell no matter what" 

tom welling spoiler GIF

18 minutes ago, slats said:

So you want to replace a 21 year old, former #11 overall, because he struggled against one of the best pass rushers in the league, and the way to do it is to replace him with another rookie who didn’t play a down in 2020? 

I don't want to replace this player 

I want to move him to a position where he can better succeed

George Fant is a crash test dummy the guy only knows how to wall off - fine as a swing tackle, not really a starter 

Trent Brown and Lane johnson get 18 mil to play RT it's not like we are sending Becton to the poor house

he might not be worth 22 mil David Bakthiari money either way 

not unless he gets way better at Pass Pro 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I recently read that Becton has given up 11 sacks this yr and is ranked 50th in pass pro win% Granted a majority of the sacks have been in the last few weeks. You may have a point here. Put Sewell at LT and let becton be the road grader at RT. They would be the beginnings of an incredible O-line.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

To say that the Jets won't draft Sewell is one thing. To say that he would not be a consideration is another. I HIGHLY doubt that JD is not weighing his options with Sewell vs. QB vs trade down. The Jaguars are not going to consider Sewell, but I cannot for a second think that Sewell won't be considered by the Jets.

Sewell is potential trade bait for Joe Douglas, that’s it. He has his LT, and understands that drafting another the following year is terrible roster management. This isn’t Idzik/Mac taking four DL in the first round in four out of five years. He’s taking a QB, or he’s trading down. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Sewell is potential trade bait for Joe Douglas, that’s it. He has his LT, and understands that drafting another the following year is terrible roster management.

You know what's terrible roster management? Drafting a left tackle so you can call him your left tackle. Drafting a quarterback so you can call him your Sammy. Everybody is always way ahead of themselves declaring the Jets to be all set at anything, let alone anything important. You can always put a left tackle somewhere. They took another one in the same draft.

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It was for a time when lawrence Taylor showed OLBs how to play. For almost a decade, every team sought a LT nimble enough to block OLBs. 

The best LT’s in the league...how many of them are in the top 3 of most important player on their respective team?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The best LT’s in the league...how many of them are in the top 3 of most important player on their respective team?

It depends on the opponent. When you are playing a team with Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, Myles Garrett, Chase Young types, and you have a LT that can handle them. He is the most important player on your team that week. And at $4.3 million average salary Left Tackle is second only to QB.

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

No one said Becton sucked. he gave up 7 sacks over 14 games

he also dominated as a run blocker in a way this league hasn't seen since prime Ogden 

that's what happened 

can he get better at pass protection? let's hope so... but the contrary is also true let's not pretend Becton 11 overall Pro Bowl snub is the best LT of all time. He's just the best LT jets fans have seen for a while.

But he might be an even better RT and we can talk about that without insulting the man on a personal level. Maybe he's an All Pro RT and a Pro Bowl Snub LT 

Okay, so what if we drafted Sewell and he came here and gave up 20+ sacks? Would want to draft another tackle the following  year? Remember a lot of draft analysis had Becton being a bust and he’s good, so what if them being high on Sewell is also wrong?

Truth is, we don’t know and same goes for the QBs and any other player in this draft class.

Just now, oatmeal said:

Okay, so what if we drafted Sewell and he came here and gave up 20+ sacks? Would want to draft another tackle the following  year? Remember a lot of draft analysis had Becton being a bust and he’s good, so what if them being high on Sewell is also wrong?

Truth is, we don’t know and same goes for the QBs and any other player in this draft class.

Since you don't know, isn't the best bet to trade down from #2 to have more picks?

• Upvote 1