New York Rangers 2021

BROOKLYN JET

5 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Way to jinx things ?

Jinx?

I haven't created a KNICKS thread in 10+ years lol however here in 2020-2021? 

I called playoffs game 1 vs Indiana before the season started while listing all my favorite Players. Got laughed @. lol 

Some Jinx.

We're in the playoffs first time since 2012-2013 and I'm enjoying the ride as a diehard NYK fan dating back to the early 90s.

Even celebrated the draft picks of Obi Toppin and that dude QUICKLEY on draft night; Right here on JN too. 

?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 7:28 PM, EM31 said:

Nice try but Victor Hedman is a lock this year.

Fox starts out next year already in the conversation which is the way these things tend to work.

Well this post aged well.  Holy sh1t!!! 

Fox wins Norris !

Happy to be wrong.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/06/29/rangers-adam-fox-wins-2020-21-norris-trophy/

Normally these things tend to take a year or two as a finalist before you get the award.  Particulalry if a former winner is also a finalist and has had a strong year.....

But not this year :D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, EM31 said:

Well this post aged well.  Holy sh1t!!! 

Fox wins Norris !

Happy to be wrong.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/06/29/rangers-adam-fox-wins-2020-21-norris-trophy/

Normally these things tend to take a year or two as a finalist before you get the award.  Particulalry if a former winner is also a finalist and has had a strong year.....

But not this year :D

The only way Fox wouldn't win is if it was fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

In a quest to add playoff experience and a reliable forward who can change the dynamic of their lineup, the Rangers may have gotten both in Barclay Goodrow.

Now they’ll just have to keep him. 

The Blueshirts acquired the 28-year-old Goodrow, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent after winning his second straight Stanley Cup with the Lightning. The move was a last-minute trade that sent their 2022 seventh-round pick to Tampa Bay on Saturday before the NHL roster freeze period ahead of Wednesday’s expansion draft.

Thinking Think GIF by The official GIPHY Page for Davis Schulz

• Upvote 1

#NYR protection list for the #Seakraken expansion draft: 

Forwards: Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Buchnevich, Strome, Chytil, Rooney

Defense: Trouba, Lindgren, Hajek

Goalie: Georgiev

Notable exposures: Goodrow, Gauthier, Blackwell, Smith, Bitetto, Kinkaid, DeAngelo, PDG

Not sure why Roons is protected over Goodrow, Gauthier and Blackwell, but I would imagine one of them is gone.

Hopefully we get lucky and the Kraken take DeAngelo.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

That is a steep price to pay.  We cannot buy our way to a cup and there is a limit to the number of these kinds of contracts that any one team can take on or Tampa Bay would have simply resigned him themselves.  I hope we picked the right guy and I think we may have done that but there is still risk here for the Rangers.

The flip side of this may be that we cannot afford to re-up all of our own guys like Buchnevich for example.

With that said I just finished watching a segment on the NHL network on this and it is clear the Rangers are in a "win now" mode.

Good.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, EM31 said:

That is a steep price to pay.  We cannot buy our way to a cup and there is a limit to the number of these kinds of contracts that any one team can take on or Tampa Bay would have simply resigned him themselves.  I hope we picked the right guy and I think we may have done that but there is still risk here for the Rangers.

The flip side of this may be that we cannot afford to re-up all of our own guys like Buchnevich for example.

With that said I just finished watching a segment on the NHL network on this and it is clear the Rangers are in a "win now" mode.

Good.

Yes they are in a win now mode, they went after the guy they wanted and got a deal done. 

Definitely a steep price to pay, and it's a 6 year deal too, so he'll be on the wrong side of 30 for the half of that contract .

He's a good player, but it's always better to just draft the next guy like him, then to pay thru the nose in free agency.

Buuch earned his payday and is in negotiations, but he may have to give a hometown discount if he wants to remain a Ranger.

6 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yes they are in a win now mode, they went after the guy they wanted and got a deal done. 

Definitely a steep price to pay, and it's a 6 year deal too, so he'll be on the wrong side of 30 for the half of that contract .

He's a good player, but it's always better to just draft the next guy like him, then to pay thru the nose in free agency.

Buuch earned his payday and is in negotiations, but he may have to give a hometown discount if he wants to remain a Ranger.

It does change the dynamic a bit where Rangers players in the past would head south to play in Tampa.  Finally one comes the other way.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Any chance the Rangers can make the playoffs this up coming season? 

I can't lie I was mad jealous watching Zach Wilson and our Jets rooting for the Islanders during the playoffs ?

I think the "we are rebuilding with a bunch of kids" card is a thing of that past.  Two reasons to feel good about a playoff run this year.  Make that three reasons.

1)  I think the Rangers were disadvantaged to be in the extremely strong "East" division which was manufactured to keep COVID somewhat under control.  They should do better being in the top-8 when they revert to a normal schedule

2)  We were the youngest team in the NHL last year I think and the lids will have an additional year of NHL experience under their belts.

3)  I like the change at head coach.

Actually without a painfully slow start we might have even made it in last year.  Over the last half of the season the Rangers record was very competitive with the teams that did make it it.  I think we would have been killed if we did make it in but still there are plenty of reasons to think the team should be better this year.

3 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yes, Zibanejad was in a COVID fog the first few months.

Difficult seeing John Davidson as the Blue Jackets President of Hockey Operations. Talent always finds a home. 

He just pulled off a big trade dealing Seth Jones to Blackhawks swapping his #32 1st pick for Chicago #12 & 2nd round #44 OA + ‘22 #1 & Adam Boqvist

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, EM31 said:

Good.

The Chris Drury pick is in…….. Brennan Othman (LW) 6’0”. 175 lbs

image.thumb.png.cf1bd7de4b8315d2c1345873731cf694.png

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The Chris Drury pick is in…….. Brennan Othman (LW) 6’0”. 175 lbs

image.thumb.png.cf1bd7de4b8315d2c1345873731cf694.png

That display just reminded me how good Kravtsov was in very limited action at the end of last year.   Even though I am still expecting big things from Alexis and Kaapo this year, I am really excited to see what Kravtsov can do in a full season.

Miller has already arrived as far as I am concerned.

• Upvote 2