Justin Fields: All 22 Coach's FIlm

win4ever

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Thanks for posting these, funny how there are no comments yet. I watch these and I still shake my head at what some posters are claiming when they say Fields doesn't read defenses or make quick decisions. 

People are overreacting to two bad games. 

He’s by no means a perfect prospect, but he has a lot of potential 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I've never watched All 22 film before.  Might have to give it a whirl.  I've been a big proponent of Fields for a long time.  I'll be very interested in watching Wisconsin, Clemson and Indiana tapes.  All run NFL type pressure schemes etc.  Very good defenses.  I'm sure those won't be(I know they aren't) as good as his games vs Roast Beef Tech, but that should be expected.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

FFS, are any of you older than 30? If you are, and you are watching this all-22 stuff, how are you not instantly reminded of this middling journeyman?

You can get away with bad mechanics in college, not so much in the NFL, especially with players being so much faster. Sorry, but Fields is a hard pass.

Take the best offensive players available at OL/WR/TE/RB and give Darnold a shot while setting the stage for the next guy if he fails. Lawrence was the only one really worth tanking for. Since we sucked just bad enough to not get him doesn't mean we don't suck enough to address other positions of need. 

Kerry Collins was a million times better than Darnold, too

And pass on Fields because of mechanics but give Darnold a 4th year to display more bad mechanics. Got it. Cool. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

If you watched Fields from last year, he’s a no brainer at 2

if you watch him from this year, you wouldn’t even think he’s a first rounder

the question is do you believe this is the real him or has this strange COVID season messed with him and last year was the real him

i would take a shot on him at 2

By this year you mean the northwestern game? He’s played 6 games. After 3 games he was legitimately giving Lawrence a run for the #1 pick. 1000 yards, 90% comp, 11 TDs, zero picks.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

I remember hearing somewhere (Cowherd show?) that after year 3, QB's rarely get dramatically better...

In other words, you know what you've got by then...

I think we've seen enough of Darnold to know his ceiling...

The Jets are going nowhere without a franchise QB...

I say at #2 we have a shot at getting one...

Draft this beast...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetworks said:

FFS, are any of you older than 30? If you are, and you are watching this all-22 stuff, how are you not instantly reminded of this middling journeyman?

You can get away with bad mechanics in college, not so much in the NFL, especially with players being so much faster. Sorry, but Fields is a hard pass.

Take the best offensive players available at OL/WR/TE/RB and give Darnold a shot while setting the stage for the next guy if he fails. Lawrence was the only one really worth tanking for. Since we sucked just bad enough to not get him doesn't mean we don't suck enough to address other positions of need. 

Fields has good mechanics, his problem is that he is slow at making reads and holds onto the ball forever. Seriously, what the hell are you looking at if you think Fields has bad mechanics? Here's a video on Fields mechanics since your blind.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

People are overreacting to two bad games. 

He’s by no means a perfect prospect, but he has a lot of potential 

I agree to an extend but those were two signature games. So you have to give it some weight. It bumped him out of being the defacto pick for us at 2. Theres work to be done now. 

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I agree to an extend but those were two signature games. So you have to give it some weight. It bumped him out of being the defacto pick for us at 2. Theres work to be done now. 

In one of those “bad games” he threw for 300 yard and 2 TDs, oh he also ran for 80 and another score. Other than two bone head picks from trying to throw the ball while getting tackled it was a showcase game. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, QB1 said:

In one of those “bad games” he threw for 300 yard and 2 TDs, oh he also ran for 80 and another score. Other than two bone head picks from trying to throw the ball while getting tackled it was a showcase game. 

Fair enough. I’m echoing the same sentiment, but was enough there to step back and take a harder look 

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Watch the games. It’s not a stat game it’s performance that’s disconcerting. It’s failure to read the rush and release the ball. His athleticism saves him but he needs to show more.

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Watch the games. It’s not a stat game it’s performance that’s disconcerting. It’s failure to read the rush and release the ball. His athleticism saves him but he needs to show more.

I watched the entire game multiple times. If he eats those two sacks it’s a great game.

Id be more concerned about Lawrence throwing balls directly into the hands of a linebacker two weeks in a row. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

see - I think Fields has some really good traits that translate to today’s NFL and I doubt that opinion will change based on what happens tomorrow 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

see - I think Fields has some really good traits that translate to today’s NFL and I doubt that opinion will change based on what happens tomorrow 

Possibly. Assessing QBs is difficult on a good day. Sometimes I think it’s obvious other times I don’t know what to believe. I’ll trust in JD for now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That’s really not the questions anymore.

Is he better than Zach Wilson?

Yes. The same people that are destroying him over 2-3 games are ignoring an absolutely mediocre season last year from Wilson.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, oatmeal said:

He’s going to be a stud, I think he will need to sit a year though, I would hate we passed on him and he’s lighting the league up. So much higher upside than Darnold 

You wanna draft a guy who you think needs to sit? This team doesnt have that luxury. wr need to get better right away

There's nothing not to like about Fields and I've been a
fan since last year.  My biggest knock on him this year
was in Ohio St. final two games his decision making appeared
to be a touch slow.  He was getting hit and sacked too much
for someone so athletic.  But as I brought up in other posts
was that because Fields has a "flaw" in his internal clock.
Or was it because Ohio St. schedule and roster was hit so hard
by the virus that Fields didn't get enough game reps to "fine
tune" his internal clock?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

@win4ever fantastic, informative post, really appreciate the time and effort.

I think people understate the simplicity of the offense Lawrence is running, this may be an unfair generalisation but it seems he’s running RPO most of the time, either dumping off to wide open short routes or making plays with his feet or lobbing up deep balls to NFL calibre WR’s, he undoubtedly benefits from the insane supporting cast as well. That said he still makes some impressive plays and Fields too has an elite supporting cast.

I just don’t feel like I see Lawrence making multiple reads and hitting on those tough intermediate routes that are the staple in the NFL. And I can’t remember seeing him take a snap under Center.

would love to see your breakdowns on Zach Wilson?....possibly harder to get hold of all-22 on BYU games maybe

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, KRL said:

There's nothing not to like about Fields and I've been a
fan since last year.  My biggest knock on him this year
was in Ohio St. final two games his decision making appeared
to be a touch slow.  He was getting hit and sacked too much
for someone so athletic.  But as I brought up in other posts
was that because Fields has a "flaw" in his internal clock.
Or was it because Ohio St. schedule and roster was hit so hard
by the virus that Fields didn't get enough game reps to "fine
tune" his internal clock?

This is something that always concerns me about qbs coming from top programs. Since guys from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state, etc, have such advantages of the talent around them when they play most games, they’re often not put in situations where they need to make many 2nd and 3rd reads or need to do it all themselves.  We’ve seen geno and darnold really fail here because they cant read defenses and have slow internal clocks.  I would prefer the guy with a quicker tempo like Wilson.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is something that always concerns me about qbs coming from top programs. Since guys from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio state, etc, have such advantages of the talent around them when they play most games, they’re often not put in situations where they need to make many 2nd and 3rd reads or need to do it all themselves.  We’ve seen geno and darnold really fail here because they cant read defenses and have slow internal clocks.  I would prefer the guy with a quicker tempo like Wilson.

Its definitely a factor and it applies to Lawrence as well.  Because no matter how many people

say he's a "generational player" he's playing with a ton of NFL caliber talent

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

@win4ever fantastic, informative post, really appreciate the time and effort.

I think people understate the simplicity of the offense Lawrence is running, this may be an unfair generalisation but it seems he’s running RPO most of the time, either dumping off to wide open short routes or making plays with his feet or lobbing up deep balls to NFL calibre WR’s, he undoubtedly benefits from the insane supporting cast as well. That said he still makes some impressive plays and Fields too has an elite supporting cast.

I just don’t feel like I see Lawrence making multiple reads and hitting on those tough intermediate routes that are the staple in the NFL. And I can’t remember seeing him take a snap under Center.

would love to see your breakdowns on Zach Wilson?....possibly harder to get hold of all-22 on BYU games maybe

Its not the "popular narrative" but you're right.  Lawrence throws a TON of simple WR

screens where he basically takes the snap and flips a 2 yard pass to a wide open receiver.

You don't see a lot of passes into the middle of the defense where coverages can be tricky

• Sympathy 2