Why not let Sam and WIlson compete with a revamped supporting cast, and let the cream rise to the top?

jetscrazey

If there's one thing NFL GMs like, it's flexibility.  If you're Joe Douglas, why lock yourself into one choice with so much uncertainty surrounding the franchise?  The draft is a crapshoot, and evaluating QBs under Adam Gase is also a bit of a crapshoot, as Ryan Tannehill has taught us, so the degree of confidence in evaluating both Sam and Wilson are low.

So why not draft  Zach Wilson, keep Sam Darnold with no 5th year option, revamp the offense in free agency with spending on WR & OL, and let the cream rise to the top?  This way, the players can make the choice for Douglas.  Either Wilson or Darnold will step up under the new regime and seize the job.

If it's WIlson, great we let Sam walk in free agency and take a comp pick. and we have a good QB under his rookie contract.

If it's Sam, we give him a franchise QB contract and go forward with him, and then we have a Jimmy Garropolo-like trade chip in WIlson for 2022 to get us some draft capital, or a good player in return.  Yeah we'll be paying Sam a lot more, but Joe Douglas won't mind paying a QB as long the QB is actually good.

(PS -Yeah, Yeah I know, the doomsday scenario is that neither QB is good.  And since its the Jets it's probably what will happen.)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

It wouldn't be a controversy.  It would be a camp competition.

Controversies happen when you think about a switch after the preseason.

I prefer to get a solid QB and let him play and practice without always looking over his shoulder. 

I prefer a backup who knows his place. 

• Upvote 1

Didn't read your post, but read your thread title. Answer is simple.. Sam sucks. The longer we hold onto him, the more competition we throw his way and he loses said competitions.. the less he is worth. Sure, we can only get a box of Cracker Jacks for him now but after he loses out to Wilson he won't be worth a Henry Anderson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Didn't read your post, but read your thread title. Answer is simple.. Sam sucks. The longer we hold onto him, the more competition we throw his way and he loses said competitions.. the less he is worth. Sure, we can only get a box of Cracker Jacks for him now but after he loses out to Wilson he won't be worth a Henry Anderson. 

Sam sucked under Gase.  In 2018 he looked to be on a good track.  I'm willing to see how he does in a new program with better OL and WRs, and to be able to do that with the aforementioned flexibility helps us evaluate 2 QBs at once in camp.

4 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Sam sucked under Gase.  In 2018 he looked to be on a good track.  I'm willing to see how he does in a new program with better OL and WRs, and to be able to do that with the aforementioned flexibility helps us evaluate 2 QBs at once in camp.

why not forget QB, and focus on getting the best mileage out of your draft picks this year. Trade back maybe, stock the cupboards. 

I don't think forcing a QB at #2 is the way to go. If they love 'him, so be it. But it can't be the ONLY option, 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

If there's one thing NFL GMs like, it's flexibility.  If you're Joe Douglas, why lock yourself into one choice with so much uncertainty surrounding the franchise?  The draft is a crapshoot, and evaluating QBs under Adam Gase is also a bit of a crapshoot, as Ryan Tannehill has taught us, so the degree of confidence in evaluating both Sam and Wilson are low.

So why not draft  Zach Wilson, keep Sam Darnold with no 5th year option, revamp the offense in free agency with spending on WR & OL, and let the cream rise to the top?  This way, the players can make the choice for Douglas.  Either Wilson or Darnold will step up under the new regime and seize the job.

If it's WIlson, great we let Sam walk in free agency and take a comp pick. and we have a good QB under his rookie contract.

If it's Sam, we give him a franchise QB contract and go forward with him, and then we have a Jimmy Garropolo-like trade chip in WIlson for 2022 to get us some draft capital, or a good player in return.  Yeah we'll be paying Sam a lot more, but Joe Douglas won't mind paying a QB as long the QB is actually good.

(PS -Yeah, Yeah I know, the doomsday scenario is that neither QB is good.  And since its the Jets it's probably what will happen.)

Actually I'm good with this scenario.   It could happen if Douglas puts a draft pick price on Sam that no one meets.   

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

why not forget QB, and focus on getting the best mileage out of your draft picks this year. Trade back maybe, stock the cupboards. 

I don't think forcing a QB at #2 is the way to go. If they love 'him, so be it. But it can't be the ONLY option, 

Agree. But Darnold is terrible. Get someone else if they dont like Wilson or Fields. There is no reason Darnold should be on the team next season. He is basura.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Ask Sam who he would prefer blocking his blind side: Penei Sewell or Zach Wilson. 

So goddam true. 

All this Wilson sh*t; we still need 4/5 positions on the offensive line upgraded, need to find a legitimate #1 receiver, a starting calibre receiving TE and a starting runningback. 

Instead of taking some kid out of BYU with a reconstructed shoulder and one year of high level play, why don't look to address the other 7 needs on offense. 

• Upvote 1

Sam is getting his final chance next year..  If he flames out then we still have 2 firsts in 2022 and either a stacked O-line, or potentially 3 firsts in 2022 if a trade goes down.

There is 0 reason to go all in on Doogie Howser with the 2nd pick.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

So goddam true. 

All this Wilson sh*t; we still need 4/5 positions on the offensive line upgraded, need to find a legitimate #1 receiver, a starting calibre receiving TE and a starting runningback. 

Instead of taking some kid out of BYU with a reconstructed shoulder and one year of high level play, why don't look to address the other 7 needs on offense. 

lets have a 4th year in a row of the worst QB in the NFL, THATS HOW TO DO IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

lets have a 4th year in a row of the worst QB in the NFL, THATS HOW TO DO IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!

I'm not defending his production, and the kid might be done, I totally respect that opinion.

But I'm not tryna throw the next guy into this clusterf*** and expect different results. I really don't think we're an attractive destination for free agents, so I don't think this a short term fix. 

Let's just build the roster up and we can move on from Sam in a year - and I'm happy to bring in a vet to compete this year in camp.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

What is the point of drafting Wilson if Sam is still going to be on the team? You will not get the same value in a trade for Wilson. Nobody is going to offer the second pick in the draft for him. 

28 minutes ago, Pac said:

Sam is getting his final chance next year..  If he flames out then we still have 2 firsts in 2022 and either a stacked O-line, or potentially 3 firsts in 2022 if a trade goes down.

There is 0 reason to go all in on Doogie Howser with the 2nd pick.

Awesome another inevitable sh*tty year of QB play that ultimately gets us no where. Sign me the hell up.

• Sympathy 2

14 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm not defending his production, and the kid might be done, I totally respect that opinion.

But I'm not tryna throw the next guy into this clusterf*** and expect different results. I really don't think we're an attractive destination for free agents, so I don't think this a short term fix. 

Let's just build the roster up and we can move on from Sam in a year - and I'm happy to bring in a vet to compete this year in camp.

By that logic why would you throw a 3 year scrub back in this into the cluster **** and expect different results? 

besides Zach Wilson or Justin Fields cannot be any worst than the literal worst starting QB in the league. The bengals backup QB is in more of a “cluster ****” and looks lightyears ahead of Darnold. I just don’t see the logic in keeping Darnit ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I have had Sam's back for most of his career here and it is possible he becomes a competent QB, but it isn't happening next season. If that was to happen, he would make the leap Allen took look like a toddlers first steps. 

It's completely bizarre to me - there's never been an easier time as a QB to transition from college FB to the pros, yet people need to see another year of Darnold tripping over his dick to make sure he's a bust.

Almost every QB drafted in the top 2 rounds of the 2020 NFL Draft have played and started for their teams and played competently(except Love, who is behind the MVP in the depth chart).

Sam sucks. I know - it's a bitter, bitter pill to swallow that the Jets traded up to draft the wrong guy but don't delude yourself. It is what it is and the sooner we cut the rope the better.

• Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Why so harsh? 

You never know, Sam could surprise.  Upgrade the OL.  Add a stud WR in FA.  Another weapon like Pitts or Smith in the first round.  He might even be able to crack the top 30 among NFL QBs .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

By that logic why would you throw a 3 year scrub back in this into the cluster **** and expect different results? 

besides Zach Wilson or Justin Fields cannot be any worst than the literal worst starting QB in the league. The bengals backup QB is in more of a “cluster ****” and looks lightyears ahead of Darnold. I just don’t see the logic in keeping Darnit ?‍♂️

Darnold was younger than all QBs drafted and still only 23. He has to continue to play like he has the last few games of just get yourself a few TDs and no INTs and not try to be Superman. If they use the draft picks to get him that many players maybe he is the answer with better coaching. I only see it being Darnold, or Fields and trade Darnold, or a trade down keeping Darnold. Wilson seems to risky. He seems more boom or bust. Fields seems much safer a QB pick then Wilson.

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

This is Darnold was younger than all QBs drafted and still only 23. He has to continue to play like he has the last few games of just get yourself a few TDs and no INTs and not try to be Superman. If they use the draft picks to get him that many players maybe he is the answer with better coaching.

So we pick up his 25 million option too huh and hopes he improves his accuracy and decision making? Sounds legit 

3 years of this is enough for me personally I have seen enough, if it isn’t clear as day what type f player darnold is I don’t know. No ty for me tho ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1