Looks like Jetnation is split down the middle

Jetster

If I am Douglas, I spend the next 3 months convincing everyone I am taking Sewell, whether he will or not.   Best trade-down is with Cincinatti at 3.  They desperately need Sewell.  Even if we just get their second rounder or a third rounder.  At 3, you take Chase or a QB.  If you don't love either, there will definitely be options to move down to 4 or 5.  Darnold absolutely needs a bonafide playmaker this offseason.  Chase, Mims, and Crowder would give no excuses next year in what is likely to be a one year prove-it moment for Darnold.  Bring in a legitimate QB vet for legitimate competition, and/or take a prospect at the bottom of the first, early second.  I would actually favor resigning Flacco... I think there's gas in the tank.

• Upvote 1

im in that 50/50 club.

but im torn between a skill pos player (ex WR, Edge Rusher) and QB 

if JD doesn't like any of the QBs then we need some weapons. someone the other team is like ... where is ( blank) we need to double team this guy. he can beat us.

and i don't like the idea of moving Becton from his natural pos. hes a kid that's trying to learn the NFL. you don't give him one year at that position and then move him. you do that to journeyman. most guys have a natural pos on the line. they move to another pos cause of an injury to another player. they dont move permanently.

i think we need to talk about the new coach. thats coming up soon. the draft is 4 months away. whos high now could change.  we got.....

PRO DAYS...

COMBINES ...

INTERVIEWS....

BACKROUND CHECKS....

a bad day in either one and all this talk is mute. its just too far away right now. don't fall in love with any player

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TNJet said:

We have a crap ton of draft picks, thats why JD might just take Sewell.

And a crap ton of free agent cash. That's just another reason why he won't take Sewell. He has plenty of other ways to improve the OL more efficiently than burning the second high pick on an OT in a row. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Reading these threads it looks like it's about 50/50 between the build the best Oline in football or take another wild swing at a QB. I know there are the trade down group but let's just say no one wants to give up the capital JD would want to move back. I can tell you having another Division foe (Miami) right between a trade back isn't optimal either. 

Take a stab at a QB to sit on the bench? No way we're keeping Darnold if we take a QB at #2. JD will sign a veteran. No free agent skill players are coming here in year 1 with a rookie starter. And no one is coming here to play with Flacco or some other retread aging QB.

Pretty wild offseason with so many differing views from fans & the media alike. This is where JD earns his money, these decisions will forge our future for the next decade. 

Stop making sh*t up. 
It’s not 50/50. We had a poll earlier in the week that showed it was 65/35 in favor of getting rid of Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

You picked a bad time to agree with Bit. 
The QBs always rise, and Sewell is currently getting the "best non-QB in the draft," status. There will teams in love with a QB, and probably one or two willing to trade up for the OT, too. Trades will be available if JD doesn't love one of the QBs enough to take them at #2. 

Yep. If not Joe D someone will fall in love between the senior bowl, the draft activities and the combine. There WILL be teams calling for 2. Question will be whether JD wants that pick to take the QB himself. If he doesn’t judge the QBs as worthy, he’ll trade back.
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Trade down.

If we can’t, depending on what happens in FA, I say go WR.

I like the options along the OL around the Seattle pick more than I like the WRs.

Chase + Slater/Cosmi/Vera-Tucker/Humphrey/Smith > Sewell + Moore/Toney/Olave

There's a good case to be made for this. Not sure however what the sweet spot for starter OL material is... seems more in the late teens early 20's range. That suggests a trade down for capital with a later trade up...

• Upvote 1

I would say take Fields, but I think taking either of the QBs in the discussion is the highest risk(highest reward too) for a "successful" JD tenure.  

If JD takes a QB at 2 and he flops, JD will need to be nearly flawless in his other moves to be competitive and keep his job down the road.  

• Upvote 1

@slats is right, it's QB or trade down. Trevor Lawrence would have been a no brain-er, but they blew that in typical Jets fashion. Unless there is another QB there that they feel so strongly about that they would have considered him at #1, then I say they should trade down.

There are so many needs, let them focus on building the entire team. If we still don't have a QB they believe in on the roster after the season, hopefully they can address it next year.

• Upvote 1

Oh boy.  I see what is developing in the AFCE.  Bills have Allen, who looks like he is going to be very good for a long time.  The Fish have a well balanced, and well coached team, with a lot of draft picks, but aren't sold on Tua.  They'll take Wilson/Fields at 3.  The Jets wil be still putting Darnold out there.  

Haven't we done this kind of thing before?

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

You don't draft an RT at 2 I can see that argument 

but Becton gave up 11 sacks this year and way better at run blocking

he missed 2 games this year, didn't actually make the Pro Bowl despite fan votes and was picked 11 overall 

maybe he's the RT making 18 mil Trent Brown money 

David Bakthiari level LT is still a need  

Wow the post that is both factually and conclusively incorrect

1 hour ago, slats said:

It's QB or trade down. That's it. He found his LT last year, taking one this year is Idzik and Mac doubling down on DTs all over again. He's not gonna do that. 

There are plenty of ways to address the OL with out the #2 pick in the draft, and that's what he's going to do. 

he did? because mekhi becton looks a hell of a lot better run blocking than pass blocking. could be he takes sewell and the best pass blocker plays LT and the other (most likely becton) goes to RT

1 hour ago, JetsFan1986 said:

Yeah pretty split which is fine.  Like I’ve mentioned before I’m fine whichever way JD decides to go.  If he wants to start over with a new QB I’m on aboard.  However I still am a believer in Sam.  Mostly because he has been out in an Awful situation.  I’ve never seen a young QB have such dreadful coaching, protection, or overall supporting cast as he has had to deal with.  I’m also fine with trading down since we can use as many assets as we can find to building the team.  Even if Adam isn’t the long term answer at least we will have a built in better team for the next WB

David Carr has entered the chat 

yeah dude - i said as much 

tanny was Rex's B word 

Rex is the exception that proves the rule (and also why it's a bad idea to let coaches pick players, see Bill Parcells)

JD is not going to bring in a HC and immediately cede draft control 

thank you Joe Douglas for informing JetNation on how you will decide the next head coach ?

Some of the assumptions made on this forum are truly amazing 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Unlike others who are enjoying making very definitive statements "JD WILL..." or "JD WON'T...", I don't know what J.D. will do.

But he has options, and that is the best thing.  He can do many things, he has the cap space, he has the draft picks, he has a draft where a trade down might in fact be possible.

I like having options.  J.D.'s future will likely be based on what he does THIS offseason, at Head Coach, at starting QB, and in rebuilding this roster.

Alot of pressure, but at least we have alot of options.

Personally, I like the idea of either the O-lineman (risky as hell tho he is, given the year off) or a trade down for more picks.  I'm unsold on the QB's as being worth #2 pick or them being legit franhcise QB prospects.  But it's a looooooong way to go, plenty of time for one or the other to win me over.

Agree, nobody actually knows what JD will do, and all offer just opinions. Just like mine will be he will hopefully hire the right coach, they will be on the same page as to how they will want to build the team and go from there.

#2 pick will have many options to go with it,  Trade down, pick the QB, pick the OT, but whatever the pick, I'm sure that it will be discussed while the HC interviewing process goes forward.

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

The tackle makes no sense 

we just added an elite tackle with higher upside than sewell

between FA and our other draft picks we are in position to develop a top flight OLine regardless 

taking Sewell is the macagnan move 

They tried for Thuney last year.  They did not get any of the top FA lineman last year.  

Who says Sewell can’t play guard? 

yeah dude - i said as much 

tanny was Rex's B word 

Rex is the exception that proves the rule (and also why it's a bad idea to let coaches pick players, see Bill Parcells)

JD is not going to bring in a HC and immediately cede draft control 

good.  That's the way it should be.  But I'm still not convinced it's JD who will be bringing in the HC.  LOL @ anyone who trusts the Johnsons not to meddle and ruin everything JD tries to do. 

43 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

We can’t let Miami get Sewell. Either draft Sewell or trade back with the bengals and let them take him. 

Dolphins have a lot of draft capital. this is a deep OT draft.  They'll take OL later.   IMO they will go Fields/ Wilson at 3.

Douglas better get this right, or the Jets are going to be a continuing mess for years to come

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

If I am Douglas, I spend the next 3 months convincing everyone I am taking Sewell, whether he will or not.   Best trade-down is with Cincinatti at 3.  They desperately need Sewell.  Even if we just get their second rounder or a third rounder.

I don't understand this.  You convince everyone you love Sewell.  Then Cincinnati says "we want the #2."  And JD says, what, "I hope you don't take my guy!"

You want to mislead people so that they'll trade *over* you - they won't trade *with* you!

19 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

They tried for Thuney last year.  They did not get any of the top FA lineman last year.  

Who says Sewell can’t play guard? 

The pats franchises thuney they won’t do it again 

Sewell can 100% play guard taking a guard at 2 is asinine 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Reading these threads it looks like it's about 50/50 between the build the best Oline in football or take another wild swing at a QB. I know there are the trade down group but let's just say no one wants to give up the capital JD would want to move back. I can tell you having another Division foe (Miami) right between a trade back isn't optimal either. 

Take a stab at a QB to sit on the bench? No way we're keeping Darnold if we take a QB at #2. JD will sign a veteran. No free agent skill players are coming here in year 1 with a rookie starter. And no one is coming here to play with Flacco or some other retread aging QB.

Pretty wild offseason with so many differing views from fans & the media alike. This is where JD earns his money, these decisions will forge our future for the next decade. 

GREAT post.

Again, people don't seem to like the trade down because they don't think he can get enough from a team to move up.

However, lets just see how good JD MIGHT be.  He doesn't need to get all the assets from one team.  

As of today, Miami has pick number three, and you know damn well they will take Sowell to help protect Tua.  Cincinnati wants to protect Joe Burrow.  So, you trade with Cincinnati to drop three picks.  But you don't ask for the moon.  Cincinnati's second pick this year and next is not bad for dropping three spots.  You know Cincy is taking Sewell, and you know Miami isn't taking a QB.  The wildcard is Atlanta: do they take a QB to replace Ryan, or wait another year?  If they take one of either Fields or Wilson, and you want a QB, then you take the other which Atlanta doesn't.  End of moving down.

But if Atlanta doesn't, and you are not tied to one specific QB, you can slide down again from 5.  LOTS of teams will need WR help, and there are 3-4 going early in many Mock drafts.  So, what if you slid down three more spots and grabbed another 2nd this year and another high pick next year?

Remember this: JD signed a 6 year deal to be GM.  He might not be that tied to any QB this year, so might use that 2nd pick and turn it into 6 more picks.  He can ride a veteran QB and Sam on one more cheap year while he builds a solid team in behind...Then, after collecting extra draft capital for 2022, might pull off a huge trade to move up and get HIS QB.  

Personally, I would love to see this.  I want JD to be Sonny Weaver here.  Don't just do the safe thing and take Sewell.  This would be a ridiculous waste of wealth.  That number two pick is worth a lot, and it could be turned into 2-5 other important pieces.  We just spent HUGE capital on a LT.  Fant has been decent.  We could draft a RT with the 2nd first pick, or our 2nd pick.  

So....not sure which side of the divide that puts me!

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

For me, the safe and boring pick of Sewell excites me more than another lotto ticket. I'm open to being convinced that one of the remaining QBs is the answer. The good thing is that I don't have to make the decision that will affect this football team for the next 5-7 years.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD is taking the QB. Finding a FQB is GM KPI #1 and he doesn't have one. We may not pick in top 2 again for 10+ years. If not now, when? Answer: it'll be the next GM's job.

That would be the safe thing to do...and unfortunately, playing it safe has killed more GM's than ones who had the balls to take a chance.

• Upvote 1