Mekhi Becton, Quinnen Williams & some rebuild thoughts

3 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I agree with what you're saying.  Though - where did you get the stat that Becton only allowed 3 sacks?  I feel like I can think of 3 sacks off the top of my head, 2 of which were forced fumble sacks...  I've seen others say 9 or 11 sacks.

It might not be updated but it was per PFF.

8AB68F00-DF21-485E-8699-06876C00DF00.jpeg

I think the key may be how Becton approaches the offseason, starting next week. If the Jets know that he's working hard to improve his fitness a bit (and thus maybe his lateral quickness a bit, too), then they can stick with him at LT and pass on taking a T early like Sewell.

However, if not, they probably need to consider moving him to RT. He'd be a monster over there.

As of right now, I don't think any QB is worthy of #2. So, either Sewell or trade down a few slots, then reevaluate.

No matter what, a stud young C to captain the line is needed (move current C to G).  So, either the Seattle pick or early 2nd should go there.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Whether it's Sam, or a newly drafted QB, JD has to upgrade the running game to take some of the pressure off.  That requires an investment in the interior line + better talent at the RB position

They can start by letting Gore retire. I think that was a big part of the problem. We seen Ty Johnson & Josh Adams run wild on the left side. It might not of been sustained production but we never know how little or big the drop off would of been from the Raiders game because Gase went back to Gore. I like the push Becton and Pat got on the left side in numerous games after that one.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I agree with what you're saying.  Though - where did you get the stat that Becton only allowed 3 sacks?  I feel like I can think of 3 sacks off the top of my head, 2 of which were forced fumble sacks...  I've seen others say 9 or 11 sacks.

doesn't sound like the cleveland game was included.  garrett did pretty well getting around becton.  garrett does this to a lot of tackles.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is true too. I also wouldn’t be mad with a Center early on.

Imagine if they could sign Thuney for RG and draft a stud C early.  You'd have Becton, Thuney, young C, McGovern and Fant.  Add a young RT prospect in the 3rd or 4th round to push (and hopefully soon replace) Fant.

That would still leave the early first and either the Seattle pick or early 2nd (after drafting the C) for two of QB/WR/RB.  And, even more if a trade down from #2 that nets at least another 2nd round pick.

Of course, the Jets could go "all in" on OL with Sewell, Thuney, young C, McGovern, and Becton. Look to build a monster line.  But then only 1 early pick for a QB/WR/RB.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is true too. I also wouldn’t be mad with a Center early on.

QB Wilson or Fields or trade back and take Jones or Lance.  JD needs to take a QB in this draft with his 1st pick. Center Humphrey or Dickinson round 2 or Myers round 3.  I'd prefer Myers in round 3 and focus on CB and edge with 27 and 34. Slide McGovern over to guard, sign Thuney. Grab a joystick wr in round 3 to compliment Mims.  Those are some good upgrades to the offense and defense. 

• Haha 1

If we pick QB at #2, we must protect him and give him weapons. At a minimum with the next 4 picks we need some combination of WR, TE OL and RB. After that we can take BPA

If we take Sewell at #2 we need to draft QB in the first round. And then keep drafting offense.

I think the way the draft lays we might be able to trade down a little and still get QB. Something like a 3rd from Miami to move down one spot. We could consider moving to Cin spot at 5 but very real possibility you lose out on both Fields and Wilson. Then the decision becomes best WR or trade down again. Three way trade with Cinci and Mia seems like a possibility as well. Cincinatti trades 1st, 2nd and 3rd, we move to 3 and get Cinci 3rd, Mia moves to 5 and gets Cinci 2nd.