Jump to content

Some perspective - Miami Dolphins


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

Perspective - MIA's current roster   
(44.2%) were drafted by MIA. 
(51.9%) began their NFL careers w/ MIA 
(21.2%) were not selected in the NFL draft. 
(94.2%) are 28 yrs old or younger 
13 6th/7th rounders 
11 UDFA  
30+ Million Cap Space 
Loaded Draft 
10-5  

 

we need players before we need a Qb. 
 

BUILD THE TEAM

 

14 minutes ago, Icer said:

They aren't mutually exclusive 

This.

The Jets can build the team while taking a QB again at #2.  In fact, this team is going to get dramatically younger and more homegrown these next two years regardless given the number of Draft picks we have in 2021 and 2022.  It almost seems like a guarantee that JD will trade down again at least once.  If not from #2 then perhaps from his second 1st round pick or the early 2nd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

It all comes down to who the HC is and his vision.

No one here expected the fin's to be as good as they are now...hell most on here expected them to be last in the division after last draft.

Ask sar1.

Actually, the HC has nothing to do with it.  It comes down to whether JD's makes a smart decision on the use of the #2 pick.

That might be a QB, it might be another player ala Sewell, it might be a trade down.

Any of those could work.  The 1st and 3rd options are trickier but that's what he's getting paid to do.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the jets don't draft a QB this year and Sam doesn't work out , then likely many of these draft resources will have to be used up on a trade up in future years.   This was one issue with Sam's pick.  It costs an extra 3 second round picks to build the team (and Macc was inefficient with the other resources).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting read here.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article247314289.html

 

 

An early look at the top considerations at No. 3 for Miami if the Texans lose Sunday, with Jacksonville expected to select Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence first overall and the Jets facing a tough decision at No. 2:

 Hope that a team picking in the top 15 of the draft covets a quarterback available at No. 3 (BYU’s Zach Wilson, Ohio State’s Justin Fields or less likely, North Dakota State’s Trey Lance) and offers the Dolphins a treasure trove to move up.

The Jets could take one of those quarterbacks at No. 2 or could stick with Sam Darnold, trade down themselves, or possibly take elite Oregon left tackle Penei Sewell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ben Had said:

It all comes down to who the HC is and his vision.

No one here expected the fin's to be as good as they are now...hell most on here expected them to be last in the division after last draft.

Ask sar1.

They’re actually not very good! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dcJet said:

Interesting read here.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article247314289.html

 

 

An early look at the top considerations at No. 3 for Miami if the Texans lose Sunday, with Jacksonville expected to select Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence first overall and the Jets facing a tough decision at No. 2:

 Hope that a team picking in the top 15 of the draft covets a quarterback available at No. 3 (BYU’s Zach Wilson, Ohio State’s Justin Fields or less likely, North Dakota State’s Trey Lance) and offers the Dolphins a treasure trove to move up.

The Jets could take one of those quarterbacks at No. 2 or could stick with Sam Darnold, trade down themselves, or possibly take elite Oregon left tackle Penei Sewell.

lets see what they say after Sunday down in Mia. 

they dont have Fritz magic to bail them out. its all on Tua.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love hearing how we should emulate these smart organizations like Miami and Cleveland.   Miami lost 35 games in the last 4 years.  My hero.  Cleveland?  If only we could have a single season of playing for the playoffs on week 17.  I chuckle at the people on the Dolphin and Brown sites being so envious of the Jets at the end of 2015.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I love hearing how we should emulate these smart organizations like Miami and Cleveland.   Miami lost 35 games in the last 4 years.  My hero.  Cleveland?  If only we could have a single season of playing for the playoffs on week 17.  I chuckle at the people on the Dolphin and Brown sites being so envious of the Jets at the end of 2015.

If there's one team that looks to have "got it right" it's Buffalo. They look like reasonably legit contenders, while Miami and Cleveland feel more like those "happy to be there" teams.

Interesting article on NFL.com by Bucky Brooks, saying Miami should at least consider going QB at #3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I love hearing how we should emulate these smart organizations like Miami and Cleveland.   Miami lost 35 games in the last 4 years.  My hero.  Cleveland?  If only we could have a single season of playing for the playoffs on week 17.  I chuckle at the people on the Dolphin and Brown sites being so envious of the Jets at the end of 2015.

Last 4 years...you realize that they were trying to win with your head coach...lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

Perspective - MIA's current roster   
(44.2%) were drafted by MIA. 
(51.9%) began their NFL careers w/ MIA 
(21.2%) were not selected in the NFL draft. 
(94.2%) are 28 yrs old or younger 
13 6th/7th rounders 
11 UDFA  
30+ Million Cap Space 
Loaded Draft 
10-5  

 

we need players before we need a Qb. 
 

BUILD THE TEAM

Sounds like a dolphins fan to me. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MindOverMatter said:

Let's all just be glad they decided to draft Tua instead of Herbert. That would have sucked....

Agreed, Tua at this point is not pushing the ball down the field.  This will be a huge off-season for him.  Playing for Alabama is liken men playing against boys.  Look at all the first round WR's, RB and olinemen he had the benefit of playing with.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I love hearing how we should emulate these smart organizations like Miami and Cleveland.   Miami lost 35 games in the last 4 years.  My hero.  Cleveland?  If only we could have a single season of playing for the playoffs on week 17.  I chuckle at the people on the Dolphin and Brown sites being so envious of the Jets at the end of 2015.

I agree we need to forge our team.  Football evolves and changes so fast.  Coaches and teams need to be innovative and a step ahead and not a step behind

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 3:09 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

What is your point? 

Drafting Tua didn't stop them from rebuilding their roster. One has nothing to do with the other.

Like, you guys realize we have another first round pick? And two more next year?

We're in good shape to take a QB and rebuild the roster.

The jets need a lot more than 4 players.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 2:44 PM, Bless you....Thank you said:

Perspective - MIA's current roster   
(44.2%) were drafted by MIA. 
(51.9%) began their NFL careers w/ MIA 
(21.2%) were not selected in the NFL draft. 
(94.2%) are 28 yrs old or younger 
13 6th/7th rounders 
11 UDFA  
30+ Million Cap Space 
Loaded Draft 
10-5  

 

we need players before we need a Qb. 
 

BUILD THE TEAM

Buffalo is another good example. They gave KC Mahomes in exchange for draft picks, used those draft picks to acquire elite talent, went 9-7 and made the playoffs, turned around and drafted Josh Allen the following year. 

Mahomes would be no better than Cutler if he landed in Buffalo 2017. Buffalo wasn't ready for him and he wasn't ready for Buffalo. 

Now, they have one of the best rosters built to compete with Mahomes/KC for the next 3-5 years, and a QB with just as much upside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh wait I got it:

In 1 off season the Dolphins added through FA: Emmanuel Ogbah, Byron Jones, Kyle Van Noy, Shaq Lawson, Erik Flowers, Ted Karras, Kanu Grugier-Hill.

The reason why they have so many “homegrown players” is that they cut everyone and kept all their draft picks. Oh yeah and also THEY USED THEIR FIRST DRAFT PICK ON A QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, jetstream23 said:

 

This.

The Jets can build the team while taking a QB again at #2.  In fact, this team is going to get dramatically younger and more homegrown these next two years regardless given the number of Draft picks we have in 2021 and 2022.  It almost seems like a guarantee that JD will trade down again at least once.  If not from #2 then perhaps from his second 1st round pick or the early 2nd.

absolutely right.  there's a bit of timing involved but right now the jets are better able to start a rookie qb than they were when darnold came in, at least offensive talent wise.  they can draft the qb to replace darnold and still pick up some key pieces either in the draft or free agency.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

The jets need a lot more than 4 players.  

that depends.  i suspect there a qualifier for those players such as they have to be impact types.  and if mosely comes back ready to pick up where he left off then they only need 3.  they should be able to get those guys in the draft or free agency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 2:44 PM, Bless you....Thank you said:

Perspective - MIA's current roster   
(44.2%) were drafted by MIA. 
(51.9%) began their NFL careers w/ MIA 
(21.2%) were not selected in the NFL draft. 
(94.2%) are 28 yrs old or younger 
13 6th/7th rounders 
11 UDFA  
30+ Million Cap Space 
Loaded Draft 
10-5  

 

we need players before we need a Qb. 
 

BUILD THE TEAM

Let's get really good players and have the centerpiece be a QB that isn't the answer.

Then when we get good players at their peak we can just bring in a hall of fame quarterback.

Easy peasy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...