TL is the #1 guy? Really?

21 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I don't watch college ball so this was my first extended look.

I was very impressed by Trevor's release and velocity.   Reminded me of Herbert.  

Yeah.  If I had to admit, TL has as much natural talent than any recent QB I've ever seen.  Where Herbert separates from him is the ability to process the game.  His game IQ is off the charts and he just reads things extremely fast. Like he made a pre throw adjustment on the safety that I've only seen the top QBs like Peyton pull off.  But TL in raw talent makes throws that I never saw Herbert consistently make in college.  Elway throws.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

exactly. Fields did the best thing he could for his stock tonight for sure. No Doubt. But 6 hours ago it was a dfferent story. And it will be the exact opposite if he plays poorly against bama. Now, if he pulls out another one like tonight?  It's gonna be really interesting leading up to the combine. 

losing to Bama isn't necessarily a strike. If they lose because OSU's secondary and edge can't contain the Tide, but Fields still manages a good fame, its not going to affect his evaluation all. If he crumbles against their D, it might be another story, but even against the best defenses he's played, he has still managed *decent* games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TheMo said:

I get whiplash from you guys. So reactionary. As I’ve said Lawrence’s body of work makes him #1 in my book. Fields is also a ridiculously good and just needs more reps/good coaching since he’s played less. He’s the clear cut #2 and should have always been. Don’t want a kid from BYU who had an entire mediocre season last year and has two shoulder surgeries. 

This. This. Every bit of this. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

exactly. Fields did the best thing he could for his stock tonight for sure. No Doubt. But 6 hours ago it was a dfferent story. And it will be the exact opposite if he plays poorly against bama. Now, if he pulls out another one like tonight?  It's gonna be really interesting leading up to the combine. 

Not really true, most of that nonsense is media and fan driven, I think what many of you are missing is like Lawrence, Fields has always been highly regarded and has played just as well throughout his career. All this game do was show the ignorant hive mind, that nothing is set in stone with these players and a grave mistake could be made when Jacksonville selects Trevor over Justin. 

The one thing thing I personally seen was everyone pampering Trevor, something about it just didn’t sit right with me, especially when your rival is out there with potentially broken ribs, riding a bike toughing it out. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Last three college playoff games for Clemson and Lawrence.  Games where the talent levels are actually close team wise.

Clemson 29 Ohio State 23

LSU 42 Clemson 25

Ohio State 49 - Clemson 28

Lawrence was not impressive in any of these games.

Draft Fields!!!

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

There was a thread jumping all over Fields saying " dont wanna have anything to do w/ Fields" a few weeks back.

There might be twenty people here who know a little about football.

This entire drama has made me realize just how easily swayed humans are by the recency effect. I think people who are based in the sciences and data type jobs are less prone to this. This kind of thinking leads to bad decisions from medicine to the NFL draft. So it’s less to do with football and more to do with properly judging input data. Sorry went full nerd there lol, I agree with you would have been more succinct. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, freestater said:

losing to Bama isn't necessarily a strike. If they lose because OSU's secondary and edge can't contain the Tide, but Fields still manages a good fame, its not going to affect his evaluation all. If he crumbles against their D, it might be another story, but even against the best defenses he's played, he has still managed *decent* games. 

That's what I'm saying. Not so much a win or loss. More about how he does overall. If he crumbles under the weight of it and throws 3 INT's and no TD's or something it will undo some of what he accomplished tonight. I'm rooting for him to light em up. Nothing would make me happier than for him to lift OSU past Bama for the championship. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Not really true, most of that nonsense is media and fan driven, I think what many of you are missing is like Lawrence, Fields has always been highly regarded and has played just as well throughout his career. All this game do was show the ignorant hive mind, that nothing is set in stone with these players and a grave mistake could be made when Jacksonville selects Trevor over Justin. 

The one thing thing I personally seen was everyone pampering Trevor, something about it just didn’t sit right with me, especially when your rival is out there with potentially broken ribs, riding a bike toughing it out. 

Hive mind spreads all the way to War rooms man. There are people in the know and people who know too much. Too many GM's, like the one's we usually have, are affected by what the "experts" say. And if Fields has a bad game against bama the sh*t will fly all over again. The Clemson game will be all but forgotten. 

It it right? Nope. But don't tell Mike Maccagnan or Daniel Snyder that.  I'm rooting for a big fat upset in the big game. Id love to see Fields have the best game of his career. Id love to see what that does to the assumption machine that is the NFL media experience.  Locks for the #1 overall pick bore me. :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's what I'm saying. Not so much a win or loss. More about how he does overall. If he crumbles under the weight of it and throws 3 INT's and no TD's or something it will undo some of what he accomplished tonight. I'm rooting for him to light em up. Nothing would make me happier than for him to lift OSU past Bama for the championship. 

Nonsense bean. There will be no more weight on OSU vs Bama than there was in this rematch vs Clemson. This was THE GAME. Alabama’s defense this year isn’t that good, see what Florida did to them. Could he have a bad game? Yup, any QB can. But it won’t be because of the moment (the Clemson game was bigger) and it wont be because of the defense (Clemson defense is just as good or better). 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hive mind spreads all the way to War rooms man. There are people in the know and people who know too much. Too many GM's, like the one's we usually have, are affected by what the "experts" say. And if Fields has a bad game against bama the sh*t will fly all over again. The Clemson game will be all but forgotten. 

It it right? Nope. But don't tell Mike Maccagnan or Daniel Snyder that.  I'm rooting for a big fat upset in the big game. Id love to see Fields have the best game of his career. Id love to see what that does to the assumption machine that is the NFL media experience.  Locks for the #1 overall pick bore me. :) 

The hive mind doesn’t spread to the good franchises war rooms(check NE last draft for example) so if you and others believe in Joe Douglas you cannot think any outside talk or speculation will influence his evaluation.

And if your saying the narrative will chage with Fields if he has a bad game against Alabama by that logic the narrative is flipped with Trevor too now huh? Because I don’t understand the double standards, when both are the 2 top rated QBs of their highschool and college classes. 

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Nonsense bean. There will be no more weight on OSU vs Bama than there was in this rematch vs Clemson. This was THE GAME. Alabama’s defense this year isn’t that good, see what Florida did to them. Could he have a bad game? Yup, any QB can. But it won’t be because of the moment (the Clemson game was bigger) and it wont be because of the defense (Clemson defense is just as good or better). 

I disagree.  Bama is the big boy. Sure this one was the big game. Until the big game in 2 weeks.  Clemson is not Bama. They are gonna have like 5 guys go in the first rd. Clemson probably 2 and that's if Ettiene's talent overrides team's bugaboo of taking RB's in the 1st. Outside of that it's TLaw and that's it for the 1st. That speaks volumes. 

I'm not taking anything from Fields. believe me. I was hoping, with little belief, that it would unfold exactly like it did tonight. I could not be happier that it went that way. And Im almost a Clemson fan.  Almost :) 

We've been watching this sports media circus for too long not to know what's coming if Fields Sh*ts the bed in the upcoming game. 2-3 INT's and 0 TD's ???  It'll be the firing squad mentality.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Personally, I dont see how Bama could be favore by more than 4 pts after today.

ND controlled the clock on them running- you know what OState is goona do? Bama is in trouble.

They could barely get to Brock. Fields should have a very big day,. 

Bama gonna need 45+

Fields has another game similar to today...   then the #1 pick is entirely in doubt.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

f Fields Sh*ts the bed in the upcoming game. 2-3 INT's and 0 TD's

There is no way in hell he has ZERO TD vs Bama...  unless he gets hurt and is out in the 1stQ.

NO WAY. They are gonna make Bamas D look really, really bad. 

Easy 200+ on the ground, if not 300+ and THEN Fields on top???

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

The hive mind doesn’t spread to the good franchises war rooms(check NE last draft for example) so if you and others believe in Joe Douglas you cannot think any outside talk or speculation will influence his evaluation.

And if your saying the narrative will chage with Fields if he has a bad game against Alabama by that logic the narrative is flipped with Trevor too now huh? Because I don’t understand the double standards, when both are the 2 top rated QBs of their highschool and college classes. 

yeah? and what good teams are picking at the top of the draft again?  lol  My ideas about JD have very little to do with the overall mahem that will ensue one way or the other. 

And yes. There are already tweets coming out with Fields in a Jags uni. Come on man. What are we even talking about here? Are we new to this school?  All it took was one game and it started.  Just wait until the stuff with TLaw crying behind his coach's play sheet hits the ground. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

There is no way in hell he has ZERO TD vs Bama...  unless he gets hurt and is out in the 1stQ.

NO WAY. They are gonna make Bamas D look really, really bad. 

Easy 200+ on the ground, if not 300+ and THEN Fields on top???

Sure. Sounds good.   I'm in. 

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I disagree.  Bama is the big boy. Sure this one was the big game. Until the big game in 2 weeks.  Clemson is not Bama. They are gonna have like 5 guys go in the first rd. Clemson probably 2 and that's if Ettiene's talent overrides team's bugaboo of taking RB's in the 1st. Outside of that it's TLaw and that's it for the 1st. That speaks volumes. 

I'm not taking anything from Fields. believe me. I was hoping, with little belief, that it would unfold exactly like it did tonight. I could not be happier that it went that way. And Im almost a Clemson fan.  Almost :) 

We've been watching this sports media circus for too long not to know what's coming if Fields Sh*ts the bed in the upcoming game. 2-3 INT's and 0 TD's ???  It'll be the firing squad mentality.   

My point is more that Fields is and was the no brainer #2 pick all along. He has been incredible his entire college career outside of the northwestern game where half his team was out and he hurt his hand in the second half. One bad game erased an incredible career in the eyes of many. Today was just a reminder to those folks. The evaluation is and has been done, Fields is a blue chip.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

My point is more that Fields is and was the no brainer #2 pick all along. He has been incredible his entire college career outside of the northwestern game where half his team was out and he hurt his hand in the second half. One bad game erased an incredible career in the eyes of many. Today was just a reminder to those folks. The evaluation is and has been done, Fields is a blue chip.

I don't disagree with that but we're now talking about the finer details between #1 and #2.  It's gonna be a really fine toothed comb from here on out. And just like TLaw crying while his coach covered his face, everything is going to get blown up to Big Gulp proportions.  We know it's coming. I'm just gonna enjoy the process. A lot happens between now and the draft. The combine included. Fields can absolutely jump TLaw in that time. Especially if he has another game anything like tonight. 

In the same way, if Bama gets to him and he plays poorly the narrative will be that he can;t handle NFL level competition or something like that. Right or wrong, its comin. 

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

The fan base is gonna fall in love with this guy quickly.

It’s gonna take some big balls to pass on this guy and start Darnold next year. 

• Upvote 1

This was the first college game I watched this year only to see why we should or should not select Fields 2nd overall  

Observation: I used to be a scout back a few years ago. No longer one so take my observations with a grain of salt ?

Fields:

Thoroughly impressed. Great deep ball accuracy, nice touch, scanned the field when needed, and good decision making. Likes to sling it around. Solid arm strength. Showed good vision and can move the defenders with his eyes. He also showed some tendencies to lock on to his first read and force plays. Was lucky on that second TD but also displayed the ability to shoot passes through right windows. Saw the int but was a little distracted with my kids. Thought it was tipped. He was under pressure and made a very bad throw even if it was tipped. Had triple coverage and I think it would’ve been up for grabs had it not been a floater. Reminded me of Sanchez. Good, athletic runner. Very fast for a QB that is known for his passing. Not scared to hit but as we saw, he will need to be molded into a more classical pocket passer to reduce the injury threat. Definitely should go second at the very least.

Lawrence:

He’s tall. Stands out. Can see the field. Relies on his playmakers. Loves to check down but does take deep shots when needed or sees the opportunity. Does lock in to his first read for longer than he should. Will not be good at the pros where you don’t get 5 seconds to throw. Good accuracy can bail him out most of the time but good NFL safeties will trap him. Had good stats but didn’t put up a good fight. Stopped watching after the third quarter. 

Sermon:

Showed up nicely on the stats but his major and obvious weakness is his speed. Looked very slow. Very shifty and powerful. Closest Jet comparison would be Shonn Greene. Could be a good third day pickup. I don’t see him in the top 3 rounds, maybe not even in the  4th round. Today’s performance just might Squeeze him into the 4th. Don’t be fooled by one game, his stats show why you can wait until the 5th, although he looked amazing today. 

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

JD is the real winner tonight.  All he has to do is sit back and let the Jags decide.  

Jags have all the pressure now to pick “the right one”.  

Not only that but with Fields performance tonight, the 2nd pick just became that much more valuable if JD wants to trade back to a QB needy team. Jets are sitting in the catbird seat.

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Why? Non of what I heard about him was not on display tonight. I understand I only watched one game of college for either QB, but Fields looks studly whereas TL looks like a tall goofy guy with little pocket presence. One game doesn't make a career, but I'm far less upset about being at @2 if the JAGs draft TL @1 and Fields is there for the taking. Sign me up for Sermen and that 6'6 Te too. 

Same reasons people knocked me for wanting Fields at #2, told me he would bust?  

Now they would take Fields over Lawrence. 

Feeding my theory that like Wilson, this is a one game reaction trumping a career.  

• Upvote 2