Ohio State's offensive line and the need to improve ours

I know it's human nature to live in the moment. Absolutely Fields outperformed Lawrence on the national stage and deserves the spoils. But let's keep it in perspective. There will be no debate in the Jags war room, Lawrence will be selected #1 overall and it won't be close.

What impressed me the most is Ohio State's OL. They dominated that game. They made Trey Sermon look like Adrian Peterson and they allowed Justin Fields to make it look easy.

If we can bolster our OL a little, on top of a great foundation with Becton, I think we can have similar success. 

Fields' performance most likely just made the #2 pick worth a small fortune of picks. Trade out, take the extra compensation, and target Wyatt Davis of Ohio State. Pair him next to Becton for the next 10 years and dominate the left side of the line. *I would also add Thuney for right guard in FA*. After selecting Davis, add at least 2 high level skill players with the extra picks (Devonta Smith, Etienne, Kyle Pitts, Kadarius Toney, Sage Surratt, Olave, Harris, etc). If Sam still falters (I don't think he will) then you have the ammo in 2022 (at least two firsts, maybe more depending on what they get to trade out of #2 this year) to go get Spencer Rattler or Sam Howell, etc.

But whoever takes over at QB will have an OL of Becton, Davis, McGovern, Thuney, Fant. And some excellent skill players around him. Would be the best offense in NY since the Walker, Toon, McNeil days.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Champions are built in the trenches.

Put TL, Fields, Wilson or anyone else behind the current Jets O-line......and we still suck.

Same for our skill players, especially RB.  We are among the least talent teams on O in the NFL.

There are no saviors.  

O-line MUST remain a primary target in both FA and the Draft, along with WR, RB and QB (if you like one at #2).

Lawrence looked very ordinary when the OSU pass rush was getting to him.  

• Upvote 1

Guys there are no prefect situations and if the team is picking in the top 10 it will be more than less ideal 9 times out of 10. 

Cincinnati is a far worst situation than the current jets and both Joe and the backup QB have played better than Sam Darnold who has a better o-line and more weapons. 

For the jets to hope for and wait for a theoretical ideal situation to insert a QB......  how is that logic working out for the Vikings, Bears etc? 

Do some of you think you’re takes though or is it made from personal biases and wants ?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

No good team, starts without good LINE play, both OL and DL. We need a STUD Center, and Guard from this draft on the OL, and 1 FA signing. PERIOD

I'd like to come away with the C from Oklahoma Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith G Tennessee.

• Upvote 4

No good team, starts without good LINE play, both OL and DL. We need a STUD Center, and Guard from this draft on the OL, and 1 FA signing. PERIOD

I agree. Although I do think we should stick with McGovern at Center and look to improve at Guard. McGovern has had a bad year but he's got a better track record than Lewis and Van Roten. I think with all the needs we have we're probably better off looking to sign a FA Guard like Thuney and drafting another Guard early while sticking McGovern for one more year at Center. Just my opinion. 

Lewis has actually not been terrible either and Joe D clearly likes him. We could look to add Thuney in FA and then draft a right tackle with our second first rounder or second rounder as well.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of whether the Jets go QB at #2, or trade down and keep Darnold for some reason, the OLine has to continue to be the priority.  LOTS of good options with our late 1st and early 2nd picks.  C Creed Humphrey, OTs Sam Cosmi and Alex Leatherwood, etc.

I'd love to see the Jets take Fields at #2 and then come back in the early 3rd round to get his Ohio State teammate, C Myers.  And in between those two Buckeyes we find two of either WR, TE, RB.  How about a Fields, RB Najee Harris, TE Freiermuth, C Myers kinda Draft?

• Upvote 2

Sign OG Thuney and Draft either Center Creed Humphrey (late 1st?) or Josh Myers (early 3rd?).  Two big upgrades on the inside.  Have McGovern, Lewis and Elflein compete for the other OG spot.

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Guys there are no prefect situations and if the team is picking in the top 10 it will be more than less ideal 9 times out of 10. 

Cincinnati is a far worst situation than the current jets and both Joe and the backup QB have played better than Sam Darnold who has a better o-line and more weapons. 

For the jets to hope for and wait for a theoretical ideal situation to insert a QB......  how is that logic working out for the Vikings, Bears etc? 

Do some of you think you’re takes though or is it made from personal biases and wants ?

Tee Higgins, AJ Green and Gio Bernard are all better than what we have right now.

And I’d trade coaches with the Bengals in an instant.

The Bears are going to the playoffs.

Not quite sure what your point is - keeping Sam for one more year while we improve the rest of the roster isn’t the same as giving Kirk Cousins a 100 million dollars. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Tee Higgins, AJ Green and Gio Bernard are all better than what we have right now.

And I’d trade coaches with the Bengals in an instant.

The Bears are going to the playoffs.

Not quite sure what your point is - keeping Sam for one more year while we improve the rest of the roster isn’t the same as giving Kirk Cousins a 100 million dollars. 

Those 3 guys are better than what the Jets have????? Are you serious or are you trolling ???? ??

and dude if we keep Sam we would have to either pick up his 5th option or give him an extension... can’t believe I have to really explain that smh 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Round 2 is a little early for him but yes, that would be a solid move.

I'm not so sure about that, but we'll see. I'm seeing him rated as high as the 2nd best C in the draft (2nd-4th best, though I know that could change), so he might go in the 2nd. He's huge at 6'5"/315.

I watched Myers quite a few times in the game last night, and he looked to be dominating. His feet did appear freakishly big and kind of splayed, so I wonder if that might be a concern at the NFL level.

Whatever the case, I really hope the Jets take a C before the 3rd round.  Not just a good one, but a great one. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I know it's human nature to live in the moment. Absolutely Fields outperformed Lawrence on the national stage and deserves the spoils. But let's keep it in perspective. There will be no debate in the Jags war room, Lawrence will be selected #1 overall and it won't be close.

What impressed me the most is Ohio State's OL. They dominated that game. They made Trey Sermon look like Adrian Peterson and they allowed Justin Fields to make it look easy.

If we can bolster our OL a little, on top of a great foundation with Becton, I think we can have similar success. 

Fields' performance most likely just made the #2 pick worth a small fortune of picks. Trade out, take the extra compensation, and target Wyatt Davis of Ohio State. Pair him next to Becton for the next 10 years and dominate the left side of the line. *I would also add Thuney for right guard in FA*. After selecting Davis, add at least 2 high level skill players with the extra picks (Devonta Smith, Etienne, Kyle Pitts, Kadarius Toney, Sage Surratt, Olave, Harris, etc). If Sam still falters (I don't think he will) then you have the ammo in 2022 (at least two firsts, maybe more depending on what they get to trade out of #2 this year) to go get Spencer Rattler or Sam Howell, etc.

But whoever takes over at QB will have an OL of Becton, Davis, McGovern, Thuney, Fant. And some excellent skill players around him. Would be the best offense in NY since the Walker, Toon, McNeil days.

I agree almost completely with your thoughts about the OL and the role it plays in winning. If there's a way, I'd love for JD to trade down one or two spots, collect extra picks, and still be able to take Sewell. I can't see Sewell getting past Cincy at 5.

But trading out of number 2, collecting a kings ransom, and still fixing the OL is an excellent philosophy IMO. 

You can have all studs on offense, but if you have the OL the Jets had from this season (besides Becton of course), you're not going to do much winning.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Those 3 guys are better than what the Jets have????? Are you serious or are you trolling ???? ??

and dude if we keep Sam we would have to either pick up his 5th option or give him an extension... can’t believe I have to really explain that smh 

We have the least talented skill position group in the league.

An aging AJ Green would instantly be our best offensive player. Tee Higgins is doing far better than Mims. Gio Bernard is at least a proven commodity; not an over-the-hill Gore or a smattering of idk wtf’s.

Why does it matter to you so much if they keep Sam on his fifth year option? That’s what, one year of big money for a team with a massive amount of cap space and the least attractive situation for any free agent? 

It’s not like we have to lock up Sam long term and it isn’t like free agents will be itching to sign  up for this dumpster fire. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think our OL is as dire of a need as a lot of people make it around here.  I could see JD chasing a big money guard in FA and adding a RT in the 2 or 3rd, but we have so many other areas of need I can’t see multiple high draft picks being used to ‘rebuild’ the line.  

• Upvote 1

The OLine can be upgraded without trading out of the #2 spot. I'm torn because I'd rather just take Fields or Lawrence with the 2 spot and call it a day, but I really feel like JD is going to trade out of that spot and add even more capital.

Jets have holes everywhere, if Fields is only a marginally better prospect than Sam at this point, is it worth burning a high pick on him? Especially if he's walking into another hellhole of a situation? Look how JD played the draft last year, only reason he stayed put in the 1st is because he loved Becton.

45 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I don’t think our OL is as dire of a need as a lot of people make it around here.  I could see JD chasing a big money guard in FA and adding a RT in the 2 or 3rd, but we have so many other areas of need I can’t see multiple high draft picks being used to ‘rebuild’ the line.  

Agree

IMO the Jets will press hard, maybe even over pay Thuney, or Scherff.  If the price is to high Miller or Blythe.

Suspect they will draft the best WR on the board with SEA. pick, and maybe OT top of the 2nd

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Unless I'm missing something no, we do not. 2021 will be Sammy's 4th season, not his 5th. We can decide on the 5th year option after the 2021 season concludes. If he's a dud we let him hit FA. If he improves like I think he will, we can sign him long term or exercise the 5th year. The Jets hold all the cards with Sammy. So I'm not sure how your post makes any sense? Not trying to be rude, just genuinely inquisitive......

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

The "over emphasis" on the OL is because it leverages so many other positions.  Your QB, WR and RB all look better because the holes are bigger and more consistent for the running game and the time the QB and WR's have is longer.  The D is forced to focus on the los creating more room for the passing routs.

Added to that is the Jets historic weakness at OL for the last few years.  We have all had to watch the downside of mediocre or worse OL's.

We have all seen how a great edge rusher can make a D look better.  It's the same with the OL only more so!

49 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Unless I'm missing something no, we do not. 2021 will be Sammy's 4th season, not his 5th. We can decide on the 5th year option after the 2021 season concludes. If he's a dud we let him hit FA. If he improves like I think he will, we can sign him long term or exercise the 5th year. The Jets hold all the cards with Sammy. So I'm not sure how your post makes any sense? Not trying to be rude, just genuinely inquisitive......

Lol gotta love it....

The decision on the 5th year option needs to be made in May... ?????????‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Lol gotta love it....

The decision on the 5th year option needs to be made in May... ?????????‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

They can keep Sam, but decline the 5th year option.  They will just have to franchise him.

The franchise tag might be cheaper than the 5th year option. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

31 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

They can keep Sam, but decline the 5th year option.  They will just have to franchise him.

The franchise tag might be cheaper than the 5th year option. 

Franchise tag is somewhere north of 30 million, Sams 5th option 25 million ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Lol gotta love it....

Do you even have the ability to make a logical, coherent statement? As if any of what I'm suggesting is not routinely done by other teams.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Do you even have the ability to make a logical, coherent statement? As if any of what I'm suggesting is not routinely done by other teams.

“Lol gotta love it....

The decision on the 5th year option needs to be made in May“

^^^
I’m sorry you cannot comprehend my post, stone me ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Your plan will not work, good sir. The 5th year option needs to be exercised before May 3rd at the beginning of the player’s 4th contract year.