Who takes the chance to move to #5?

Jetster

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The plan might be this Draft Fields trade Darnold and let him start right away; Draft Wilson  by trading down a few slots you keep Darnold and let him watch for a year. 

IMO Different players might require different draft strategies. 

Absolutely, as well as what the new HC wants. Remember when most of this board was crushed when we lost out on the #1 pick, and that this job is now so unappealing? After last night, I doubt that will be an issue.

• Upvote 1

We have an extra 1 in 2021 and 2022 and an extra 3 this year. We can also get a pick or 2 for Sam. Combined with the cap space, we definitely have the resources to take a QB at 2 (if JD likes the QB) and build a team. This is not a Macc trade 3 2s for Sam situation. 

• Upvote 2

I mean I would do it and roll the dice cuz it’s a hypothetical and I’m swingin for the fences but if it was my job on the line I’d prob stay put at 2 and pick best QB. 

Imagine though, trade back plus trade Darnold. We would get a lot of draft capital and still most likely end up with Wilson or Fields. 

Again though, easy to say but harder to roll that dice for JD. I think he either keeps Darnold and trades back or goes for QB at 2. 

49 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

My opinion, Jets need to come away with either Wilson, Fields, Sewell or Chase. Any potential trade they make I will ultimately be fine with if they get one of those four guys. If they drop too far and miss on them, I’ll be pissed.

trade down would be necessary with little draft capital which in the opposite of what we have. We need some blue chip players as well as good players.

56 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I would be trading back multiple times.  Jets need lots of players. 

Yes, but lots of players minus a chance at a high upside QB is not going to get us past the Bills for the division or the Chiefs if we get that far. Those are some of the great teams for us to pass now and that has to be part of the thinking.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, usanyj said:

If JD and the new coach want to take a qb and they identify fields or Wilson as a guy they want to build around, you don’t get cute, you take the qb at 2

you have another first and a high second and two firsts next year. With all the cap as well, it’s a good start to building this team.

this isnt draft day the movie. People will lose their minds down the road if we take the wrong guy or miss out on the guy we wanted to get more capital.

at some point all the draft capital means nothing, you have to start taking players that can contribute and build up the roster. Kicking the can down the road does no one good.

They are making a sequel to Draft Day called Draft Disaster. It’s a based on the true story of the New York Jets and Mac will be played by Gary Busey.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

If JD and the new coach want to take a qb and they identify fields or Wilson as a guy they want to build around, you don’t get cute, you take the qb at 2

you have another first and a high second and two firsts next year. With all the cap as well, it’s a good start to building this team.

this isnt draft day the movie. People will lose their minds down the road if we take the wrong guy or miss out on the guy we wanted to get more capital.

at some point all the draft capital means nothing, you have to start taking players that can contribute and build up the roster. Kicking the can down the road does no one good.

Moving down does make sense if a) we couldn't get Lawrence and b) you weren't impressed with Fields or Wilson.

Multiple moves  down the board could really put you in a position next year to spend draft capital to go and get the QB you want.

BUT....after Field's performance last night, it might be hard NOT picking him second overall.

I believe Sam Darnold can be a upper level NFL QB.  Sam never got the support or proper coaching with the Jets.  That said I think the ship has sailed on Sam.  The big problem with staying with Sam is his rookie contract is almost up.  Most ascending teams win with their young QB early on before the rookie contract is to expire.  That's a big reason the Jets should take a QB with the #2 pick and restart the rookie contract time frame.  Jets are fortunate they can do that.

• Upvote 1

Fields clearly has the measurables and stats. 

In that regard he checks the boxes.

However, as with all QBs, it's whether he's got it between the ears.

Not a knock on intelligence, just can he process all that information at the line pre and post snap. Make those reads, etc. Feel for pressure.

If he can do those things, it's likely he makes a rather excellent NFL QB.

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I would be trading back multiple times.  Jets need lots of players. 

Yes, UNLESS the Jets have conviction about a QB at #2.  If you think there's a FQB on the board you don't get cute and try to get him later.  You just pull the trigger.  But I wouldn't be surprised if JD uses that late 1st from Seattle to try to trade down and accumulate some 2nds and 3rds (or maybe even a 2nd and a 2022 1st).

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

My opinion, Jets need to come away with either Wilson, Fields, Sewell or Chase. Any potential trade they make I will ultimately be fine with if they get one of those four guys. If they drop too far and miss on them, I’ll be pissed.

The good news is that they will get any one of those and get additional assets if they move back.  We are actually in a real good spot 

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

The choice is obvious. stay at 2 and pick your guy. At this point that should be Sewell or Fields if Douglas believes he is the guy. Personally I want Sewell

If you are not going to take the QB why not trade down and then prioritize OG and C instead.  I'd rather parlay sewel into two of the top OG and C out there than just take a tackle when we just drafted a tackle.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I wouldn't. I want Joe to take Sewell and I'm not sure there's a safe trade down scenario where we can still get Sewell?

If you want Sewell I think you would have to take him at 2. The Bengals and The Porpoises are not letting Sewell get past them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I heard a spot on Anita Marks' show about a month ago when Tua was about to start his first game. She had on a former scout that was in the NFL for over 30 years, and spent his career scouting QB's. Most of his time he was with the Giants. They got into the whole Tua vs Herbert thing. He said he had Burrow and Herbert 1&2, and nobody else in that class was close. He said he likes Tua, great kid, hard worker, thinks he will be a good QB. But he finished with this...."I just don't think Tua is a difference maker." That really made an impression on me. I don't ever think I heard a scout ever say that about a guy picked that high in a draft, especially a QB.

I think that's the dilemma we face in a nutshell.  Scout says Tua is the 1 or 2 QB for the year, but he might just be an average NFL player.  When you draft at #2, you want a difference maker.

JD may well conclude that Fields or another QB is "the guy".  If so, don't trade down, grab him while you can.  Maybe you do a swap with Cin as the price of keeping someone else from getting Sewell.  But you aren't trading out of that QB slot because you know what Cin is going to do.

As for me, I don't care what position we take as long as the guy is a future all pro.  When you have the #2 pick, that's what you want.  My concern is that the QB decision is the riskiest position in terms of future performance.  If we end up with a turkey, we are locking up misery for another year.

• Sympathy 1

You have to look at it from the GMs career perspective.  All of the qbs except (and probably even) TL carry a lot of risk.  Ask yourself if you want to risk your career on taking Fields or Wilson high in an all or nothing move.  Meanwhile Darnold (still a young talent) is tied to the old regime.

or

you spread out the risk, rebuild the team (we currently have almost no legit players by far the fewest in the NFL) with a lot of selections and see what happens in the future with qbs.

i don’t know, it depends on the evaluation process, but I don’t quite buy the qb prospects this year.

26 minutes ago, addage said:

I think that's the dilemma we face in a nutshell.  Scout says Tua is the 1 or 2 QB for the year, but he might just be an average NFL player.  When you draft at #2, you want a difference maker.

JD may well conclude that Fields or another QB is "the guy".  If so, don't trade down, grab him while you can.  Maybe you do a swap with Cin as the price of keeping someone else from getting Sewell.  But you aren't trading out of that QB slot because you know what Cin is going to do.

As for me, I don't care what position we take as long as the guy is a future all pro.  When you have the #2 pick, that's what you want.  My concern is that the QB decision is the riskiest position in terms of future performance.  If we end up with a turkey, we are locking up misery for another year.

Good post. Pretty much nailed it.

3 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Couldn't disagree more. We already have a ton of pics. We need elite players. We also already have some nice young talent on our team that has gained experience this year. We have plenty of pics this year and next year. We need to pic franchise altering players when we have the chance to.

Ok.  We can disagree.  

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

They already have 9 picks & almost 100 million in free agency? And 9 picks next year! How many rookies you advocating? 

I would be looking to maximize late first through third round this year and next.  As many as I could possibly get.  Need a quantity of talent.  

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Yes, but lots of players minus a chance at a high upside QB is not going to get us past the Bills for the division or the Chiefs if we get that far. Those are some of the great teams for us to pass now and that has to be part of the thinking.

I would build the team before ruining another qb.  

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes, UNLESS the Jets have conviction about a QB at #2.  If you think there's a FQB on the board you don't get cute and try to get him later.  You just pull the trigger.  But I wouldn't be surprised if JD uses that late 1st from Seattle to try to trade down and accumulate some 2nds and 3rds (or maybe even a 2nd and a 2022 1st).

I would agree with that.  I just think that unless you think its a cant miss guy, its better to build the team and grab the qb later.  

33 minutes ago, flgreen said:

MOST, by far

Well...tomorrow should be telling. You got a rookie who's 6-2 starting working behind 3 rookies on the oline and probably no #1 WR Parker. He doesn't have Fitzmagic to come into the game a provide that spark...let's see.

It's all good...

15 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

Well...tomorrow should be telling. You got a rookie who's 6-2 starting working behind 3 rookies on the oline and probably no #1 WR Parker. He doesn't have Fitzmagic to come into the game a provide that spark...let's see.

It's all good...

Mc Dermott has indicated he might rest players tomorrow.  if he does will be hard to rate Tua.

The #2 seed I think is still at stake, we'll have to see how the Bills react to that.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

I would agree with that.  I just think that unless you think its a cant miss guy, its better to build the team and grab the qb later.  

I want to amend what I said slightly.  It's important to consider that those 1st round picks give you the 5th year option on a player, potentially making the last pick in the 1st round a lot more valuable than the first pick in the 2nd round, moreso than just one spot.  It shouldn't be giant consideration but you need to factor that in especially if you find a solid prospect at a premiere position like CB, LT, Edge rusher, etc.  That 5th year option can be valuable.

So maybe JD stays put....or he asks for more in return to trade out.