Just the beginning

Last night was a very important game between Clemson vs Ohio State or Lawrence vs Fields to some. But in the end Ohio State beat Clemson badly and advances Ohio State vs Alabama for the Championship. 

Justin Fields out did Trevor Lawrence last night

Fields -  22 of  28  passes 385 yards with 6 TDS: 8 carries 42 yards

Lawrence - 33 of 48 passes 400 yards with 2 TDS 1 INT: 10 carries minus 8 yards 1 TD

Fields has the championship game against Alabama to prove that he deserves to be the #1 pick. Meanwhile Lawrence will now have to be ready for the All Star bowl games later this month, then the NFL combine next month and the pro day. Both have to do a great showing at the combine's and pro day to be considered #1 or #2 QB in the draft. 

Jacksonville is on the clock from now until draft day to make a decision!!!!

Its not over yet, this is just the beginning!!!!

• Haha 2

Fields, Lawrence, Sermon, Olave, Etienne, Mac Jones, Devonta Smith, Najee Harris.

None of them should have played yesterday, they all should have sat out and 'prepared for the draft and the combine' and not risked injury.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

I'm curious what is this statement based on? Is this because he is an OU player and they don't pan out or because you had no actual thought on it.  

Hive mind parrot, nothing to see here imo 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

I'm curious what is this statement based on? Is this because he is an OU player and they don't pan out or because you had no actual thought on it.  

I would argue it's based on the actual numbers. 

The only comparable year is each of their sophomore years. 

Haskins Pass
373/533 70% 4831 9.1 Per Pass 50 TD / 8 Int
Haskins Rush
79/108 4 TD

= 54 TD / 8 Int (13-1 record)

Fields Pass
238/354 67% 3273 9.2 Per Pass 41 TD / 3 Int
Fields Rush
137/484 10 TD

= 51 TD / 3 Int (13-1 record) 

What Haskins lacked in rushing, he more than made up for in passing. 

Same coaching staff, same talent around them, same competition. I'm not sure how much more direct of a comparison that you can really get? 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Haskins Pass
Haskins Rush
79/108 4 TD

Fields Pass
Fields Rush
137/484 10 TD

Same coaching staff, same talent around them, same competition. I'm not sure how much more direct of a comparison that you can really get? 

If your truly comparing Haskins to Fields you haven't watched a lick of either play. 

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If your truly comparing Haskins to Fields you haven't watched a lick of either play. 

I simply put the numbers up and they tell a story that some of you dont want to hear. 

Fields probably is better than Haskins but I've seen both play, BOTH were great in college. 

But it is undeniable that Haskins had more success passing the ball than Fields, a LOT more success, not just a wee bit. 

Again, same coaching staff, same talent around them, same level of competition and Haskins obliterated Fields in the passing department. Better completion percentage, more yards, more TDs, and the same Average passing yards. 

Think about this, again comparable sophmore years with a full 13 games plus a bowl game... 

-Haskins had 5 performances just like what Fields showed last night, by all of your standards, you would have drafted Haskins in a heartbeat. 

-Haskins also never once threw for under 227 yards in a game, while Fields had 9 games under 227 yards! (3/4 of his season!) 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ToonforPrez said:

Joe Burrow = Jamarcus Russell 

Am I doing it right?

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The thought that Fields won’t be successful just because he’s from OSU is just lazy.  Name me the last great qb to come from Clemson before Watson?  Name me the last great qb out of LSU before Burrow? Cal before Rodgers, Texas Tech before Mahomes.  It doesn’t matter.

I think the big college environments can morally and mentally corrupt these “king of the campus” QBs.  The challenge for JD is to distill what QB wants to be a great pro.

For one like Josh Rosen, Leinart or Darnold or even Sanchez, life does not get better than being the star QB for a LA university.  It just doesn’t.  I think the NFL is a huge lifestyle dropoff.  Look at the trouble Darnold (mono) and Sanchez (underaged dating) got into.  I think Leinart had similar issues.

I don’t think OSU is providing its football players with a real life experience.  Haskins was supposed to be a high quality person.  Stripclubbing during the COVID season ain’t a great look.

Zach Wilson will be all business, but homesick.  

From JD’s perspective though, if a takes one of the QBs he is fine reputationally.  If he busts, I don’t think people hold it against him.  If he passes and the one he passes on becomes a star, he is finished in the NFL, like Maccagnan is.  Seems like an easy choice to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1

One of the touchdowns fields threw concerned me a bit it was in tight 1 on 1 coverage but he didn't throw it to where only his reciever could grab it he threw it through the hands of the opposing defensive back. The play resulted in a touchdown and it was only one play but it stuck out to me and could have easily been a redzone interception.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

25 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The thought that Fields won’t be successful just because he’s from OSU is just lazy.  Name me the last great qb to come from Clemson before Watson?  Name me the last great qb out of LSU before Burrow? Cal before Rodgers, Texas Tech before Mahomes.  It doesn’t matter.

And yet...the amount of times I've read about USC QBs... Even I who hate this kind of generalization found myself trying to remember how Cardale and Haskins played and if they were similar - it's tempting if unfair and wrong. 

On the other hand, this is kinda how we got Denzel late in RD2. 

Gotta trust that our scouting dept puts in the work to see past the stereotypes. 

9 minutes ago, freestater said:

Joe Burrow = Jamarcus Russell 

Am I doing it right?

HAHA i think you got you got it right. Take College QB projected to be Top 5 and insert sh*tty QB from years past to fit the Narrative you wan to project on the thread.    

• Upvote 4
10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I simply put the numbers up and they tell a story that some of you dont want to hear. 

Fields probably is better than Haskins but I've seen both play, BOTH were great in college. 

But it is undeniable that Haskins had more success passing the ball than Fields, a LOT more success, not just a wee bit. 

Again, same coaching staff, same talent around them, same level of competition and Haskins obliterated Fields in the passing department. Better completion percentage, more yards, more TDs, and the same Average passing yards. 

Think about this, again comparable sophmore years with a full 13 games plus a bowl game... 

-Haskins had 5 performances just like what Fields showed last night, by all of your standards, you would have drafted Haskins in a heartbeat. 

-Haskins also never once threw for under 227 yards in a game, while Fields had 9 games under 227 yards! (3/4 of his season!) 

Obliterated is hyperbole, no? I think there were concerns that Haskins, while seemingly accurate (throwing to very open receivers) didn't move as well in the pocket and could get himself in trouble in the NFL. He also struggled learning and dedicating himself to the playbook if the post waiving leaks can be believed (one assumes he fell in the draft because these worries existed and WFT thought they could work around them). 

As good as Haskins was in college, Fields' performance last night is being discussed as an all timer for the program in a game they were favored to lose and against top opposition. 

They are different players with different styles. And last night we learned, if nothing else, that Fields deals well with adversity. That was crazy. I thought for sure he was coming out at half time up 20. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Haskins Pass
Haskins Rush
79/108 4 TD

Fields Pass
Fields Rush
137/484 10 TD

Ok I get it but you provided numbers to back up the Theory or opinion you have not just throw Fields= Haskins.  

1 minute ago, ToonforPrez said:

Ok I get it but you provided numbers to back up the Theory or opinion you have not just throw Fields= Haskins.  

Nothing I posted is either a theory or opinion. 

Those ARE the numbers, and the coaching staff, surrounding talent, and competition were all the same.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Obliterated is hyperbole, no? I think there were concerns that Haskins, while seemingly accurate (throwing to very open receivers) didn't move as well in the pocket and could get himself in trouble in the NFL. He also struggled learning and dedicating himself to the playbook if the post waiving leaks can be believed (one assumes he fell in the draft because these worries existed and WFT thought they could work around them). 

As good as Haskins was in college, Fields' performance last night is being discussed as an all timer for the program in a game they were favored to lose and against top opposition. 

They are different players with different styles. And last night we learned, if nothing else, that Fields deals well with adversity. That was crazy. I thought for sure he was coming out at half time up 20. 

That's generally the "go to" excuse when arguing why or why not someone has more passing yards isnt it? The ol "he had open recievers" doesnt justify a difference in 1600 yards. They were quite literally in the EXACT same system, same receiver talent level, same power run game talent level, same coaching staff, same opponents. 

Again, people can discuss things all they want, but Haskins did what Fields did last night about 5 or 6 times on the regular. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

One of the touchdowns fields threw concerned me a bit it was in tight 1 on 1 coverage but he didn't throw it to where only his reciever could grab it he threw it through the hands of the opposing defensive back. The play resulted in a touchdown and it was only one play but it stuck out to me and could have easily been a redzone interception.

What?? So??
The other bombs for touchdowns he threw were perfect dimes but if he would’ve under thrown them just a bit they would’ve easily been interceptions..smh. All this nitpicking of a guy who played lights out with half his torso still attached is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Those ARE the numbers, and the coaching staff, surrounding talent, and competition were all the same.

That's why numbers don't tell the whole story. People can say Lawrence didn't play badly last night by looking at his numbers. How many times did he fumble? He played a sub par game. Haskins was never considered a top pick in the draft and the second rated QB two years in a row like Fields is. Fields is mentioned as being smart and more dedicated than a guy like Haskins, not to mention more athletic. All top QBs have good stats - NFL teams dig much deeper to see if the QBs will study hard and take it seriously. Obviously the concerns about Haskins have come to fruition. I was concerned about Field's ability to scan the field and go through his progressions. He did that really well last night with a huge amount of pressure on him.

• Upvote 3
23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I was stating the whole Fields=Haskins did not use numbers my apologies if I wasn't clear in my words. I appreciate you using Numbers to validate the comparison at least i can go off of that and research and form my own hypothesis.    

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That's generally the "go to" excuse when arguing why or why not someone has more passing yards isnt it? The ol "he had open recievers" doesnt justify a difference in 1600 yards. They were quite literally in the EXACT same system, same receiver talent level, same power run game talent level, same coaching staff, same opponents. 

Again, people can discuss things all they want, but Haskins did what Fields did last night about 5 or 6 times on the regular. 

Fields dedicates more of his snaps to running proactively than Haskins who was me of a pure pocket passer in College, so would naturally have more yards in air. That isn't a lazy generalization/excuse. 

I looked them up - Fields yards/atmpt and percentage were higher than Haskins throwing and he ran for 3-5x the yards. The stats just reflect a more balanced offense being run. 

Haskins didn't best Trevor Lawrence and Clemson in the Sugar Bowl. Ever. So again thats false. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

The one where he was better off hitting 88 over the middle? That one stood out to me too.

I remember when Mike Francessa consistently opined that Deshaun Watson would not make a top flight pro QB.  Couldn't understand why.  Fields has good size, mobility, arm strength, accuracy and seems to read the defenses well. He's also tough as nails and a fierce competitor.  Last night he threw down the gauntlet and played at a very high level against an excellent team when he was obviously in considerable pain.  Maybe he won't become a great pro, but I have no problem if JD and the new HC decide to draft him with the second pick.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, heymangold said:

bert jones was a pretty good lsu qb.

9 minutes ago, TMAC said:

I remember when Mike Francessa consistently opined that Deshaun Watson would not make a top flight pro QB.  Couldn't understand why.  Fields has good size, mobility, arm strength, accuracy and seems to read the defenses well. He's also tough as nails and a fierce competitor.  Last night he threw down the gauntlet and played at a very high level against an excellent team when he was obviously in considerable pain.  Maybe he won't become a great pro, but I have no problem if JD and the new HC decide to draft him with the second pick.

I think with the right coaching he can turn into a solid pro on a cheap contract for the next 4 years. I’d sign for that. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Looked like hell of throw to me .

or you talking bout this one

• Upvote 1

Fields is Geno 2.0

Remember Geno was touted as the # 1 pick months from the Draft.

He slipped into the 2nd round where the Jets had their first pick of that Draft.

The Jets thought they had the steal of the Draft. We all know what happened.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, hungry jackson said:

Fields is Geno 2.0

He slipped into the 2nd round where the Jets had their first pick of that Draft.

Not really seeing the connection, TBH. Outside of skin color and the fact they both play/ed the same position. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Fields is Geno 2.0

Not even close. There is zero chance Fields falls out of the top five. Other than both being black nothing in common.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

That was one of the best college performances in a big spot that you will ever see.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

That was one of the best college performances in a big spot that you will ever see.

Closest thing I remember is maybe Watson beating Bama or Vince Young beating USC?

I see Fields as a Lamar Jackson style player with a frame closer to Josh Allen's (the fact he finished that game yesterday shows you his frame can take a hit, yikes). So maybe Cam is the better comparable as a combination of those attributes - though I get the sense Fields would rather throw than run a bit more in that balance. I hear the Moon comparison but I just remember Warren as a more classic drop back QB...it's been a while though.

• Like 1