Browns Steal OL From Jets Practice Squad

Theresa Hance had been making plans for a nice, quiet weekend with her son.

But the Cleveland Browns had other ideas, signing Hance’s son, Jacksonville High School graduate Blake Hance, to their active roster for this Sunday’s Wild-Card playoff game with the Pittsburgh Steelers (7:15 p.m. kickoff on NBC).

Hance, who had been a member of the New York Jets’ practice squad this season, was looking forward to heading home after the Jets’ final game last Sunday when he got the news.

“Total shock,” Theresa Hance said. “Was not expecting it at all. I was expecting him to end the season on Sunday with the Jets, and then actually, I thought he was coming home this weekend, and we were going to celebrate Christmas. I was going to celebrate with him — I already have with my girls, but I was going to celebrate with him this weekend.”

Finding out her son had been signed by the Browns was a complete surprise.

surprise.

“It was kind of just, disbelief,” she said. “Kind of hard to describe. It was just really exciting. I was just really happy for him, and proud of him

It’s been kind of a crazy week,” Hance said. “Saturday was really crazy.”

It was. Hance was still a member of the New York Jets’ practice team last Saturday morning. By nightfall, he was a member of the Browns, and driving from New Jersey to Cleveland to watch his new team beat Pittsburgh to clinch a playoff berth — the team’s first since 2002.

His family headed for Cleveland, too.

“His two sisters and I decided to drive to Cleveland and go to the game Sunday,” Theresa Hance said. “So that was fun, and exciting. It was a good time.”

Blake Hance, then still technically on the Browns’ “inactive” roster, watched last Sunday’s game from a suite. He got to see his family briefly after the game. Everyone made sure to maintain social distance to avoid any possible issues with COVID-19. “I didn’t want to get too close to him or anything like that, and risk anything happening,” Theresa Hance said. “We were outside and kept our distance and everything — but got to see him briefly and talk to him a little bit, for a few minutes, before the girls and I hit the road and headed back.”

The Browns have been dealing with the coronavirus all week, and will play Sunday night’s Wild-Card game without head coach Kevin Stefanski and Pro Bowl guard Joel Bitonio.

Cleveland’s roster remains in flux, with eight players on the COVID-19 reserve list. A total of 46 players will suit up for Cleveland on game day, and the final roster won’t be announced till Sunday. Hance, a 6-foot-6, 310-pound offensive lineman, was listed as the second-string right guard on the Browns’ depth chart on Wednesday. He will be wearing No. 62.

Last Sunday was the first time Theresa Hance had seen her son since August, when she helped her oldest daughter move to Tampa. The two drove up to Jacksonville for a short visit.

Hance has been in the NFL for two seasons, first on the practice squad for the Jacksonville Jaguars, then with the New York Jets. This is the first time he’s made an active roster in the NFL.

“He’s just been working hard, putting in his time and stuff, I think,” Theresa Hance said. “But I think it’s been going OK for him.”

It’s been a long road to the NFL. Hance started playing football in New Berlin in fourth grade. Two years later, he joined the newly formed Junior Crimsons before working his way up through high school. His mom said growing up, Hance liked playing all sports.

I don’t know that he liked football any more than he did any others at that age — fourth and fifth grade,” she said. “I think honestly, he probably loved baseball more at that age than he did football. But he’s always just liked playing all sports.”

Hance went on to sign with Northwestern University, starring as a lineman on some of the best football teams in school history. He earned a master’s degree in management studies from Northwestern’s business school in 2019. But there was still some football to be played.

played.

“It was just one of those things — why not give it a shot and see what happens?” Theresa Hance said. “After talking to the coaches at Northwestern — just give it a shot and see what happens. And so far, it’s turned out OK.”

“I’m very proud of him,” she said. “He has worked so hard to get here. In high school, he quit playing baseball to focus on the weight room in hopes of earning a scholarship in football. When he did get the scholarship offers, he thought about more than just football and wanted to make sure he received a quality education. He earned academic All-Big Ten honors while playing football at Northwestern University, which is a great accomplishment. He has been successful on and off the field, which is awesome.”

Blake Hance received two tickets for this Sunday’s game in Pittsburgh — but only two, because of the pandemic. His mom will be there.

there.

“I think it will be, probably, kind of emotional for me, but exciting at the same time,” she said. “Hoping he gets in there. I hope he gets in there. But I think it’ll be emotional, and exciting, and I’m looking forward to it.”

Because of the pandemic, there won’t be many watch parties in Jacksonville Sunday night, but most every television will be tuned to NBC, and most everyone will be rooting for the Cleveland Browns.

“He’s getting a lot of support from home, and I know he appreciates that, too,” Theresa Hance said.

“I’m super-proud of him,” she said. “I just really don’t know that I can put it into words how proud I am. It’s surreal, really.”

On 1/3/2021 at 11:40 AM, jetsrule128 said:

Blake Hance Watch

Game 1-VS Steelers-INACTIVE

Should Have Stayed With The Jets 

There is no Blake Hance watch!!!! My god how the hell are you still the way you are?!?! I was reading people giving you sh*t for hiding in the bushes at Jets practice when I was in freaking high school over 10 years ago. You're still doing it and it's as impressive as it is confusing. 

• Haha 1

A week in the corona-wracked season of the Cleveland Browns begins, actually, on the Saturday before the week started. This was the day before the Cleveland-Pittsburgh regular-season finale, and GM Andrew Berry was worried. Cleveland’s two offensive line coaches, Bill Callahan and Scott Peters, tested positive for COVID-19, and the Browns couldn’t take the chance that the virus would bubble up Sunday and take a player or players off the offensive line.

Berry phoned Jets GM Joe Douglas, a friend, in New Jersey at 9:38 a.m. Berry didn’t want to blindside Douglas by pillaging one of his practice-squad players without telling him. So Berry explained about the line coaches, and his fear that there might be a spread, and he needed an insurance tackle, and he liked second-year practice-squadder Blake Hanceof the Jets. The Jets were going to Foxboro that day, and Berry wanted to make sure he could sign Hance before the Jets left for Massachusetts. Douglas understood. In fact, he had Jets personnel coordinator Christina Wedding print Hance’s Jets termination letter and his agreement with Cleveland, so Hance could sign them and they could be filed with the league.

Now for the COVID issue. It’s good that Berry liked Hance—the Browns were going to try to sign him for 2021 camp anyway—because Cleveland needed a player who was within driving distance of Cleveland and had been in a regular team testing program. Huh? If a player flies to a new city, he must test negative for five days while quarantining because of the risk of COVID-contact in an airport or airplane. If Berry had been the Seattle GM, with the nearest NFL city 15 hours away by car (Niners), it would have been totally impractical to get a player. But there are 11 NFL teams within a seven-hour drive of Cleveland. Hance was on one of them, six-and-a-half hours and 443 miles away by car, and he had tested negative that morning in Florham Park, N.J., home of the Jets. He had a car. After signing the contracts, Hance packed his things, hopped on I-80, and was at the Browns’ Intercontinental Hotel by 7 p.m., ready for virtual meetings with his new team.

In an elevator at the hotel, masked, he saw someone he recognized. Hance was a training-camp cut of Washington in 2019, blocking in camp for quarterback Case Keenum. Now he saw Keenum, the backup to Baker Mayfield.

“I know you, right?” Keenum said, trying to place the face—hard to do, when the face is masked.

“Case, it’s Blake—Blake Hance,” he said.

Whoa. Keenum wondered what this masked man from his past was doing in the Browns hotel the night before the biggest game of the year.

“I’m on the team now,” Hance said.

Blake Hance is going to have a great story to tell his grandchildren one day. Said Berry, who started the wheels turning: “It’s very much a 2020 story.”

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, Jet Nut said:

So we lost an OL who couldn't even make the Jets roster as a G?

Do we need a moment of silence?

IDK about a moment of silence, but he was obiviously thought of very highly by one of the best OL coaches in the league.

As bad as the interior of the Jets OL was this year kind of wonder why he didn't get a shot.  Have to assume that Callahan thought he was the best OL in the league who was available.

18 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IDK about a moment of silence, but he was obiviously thought of very highly by one of the best OL coaches in the league.

As bad as the interior of the Jets OL was this year kind of wonder why he didn't get a shot.  Have to assume that Callahan thought he was the best OL in the league who was available.

It was reported that he called the Jets because the Jets were located close enough that he could jump in his car and drive to their facilities.  

Thats a story for the books

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It was reported that he called the Jets because the Jets were located close enough that he could jump in his car and drive to their facilities.  

Thats a story for the books

Well, if I recall, it actually said there was 11 NFL teams within 7 hours of the Browns...........................But still

"offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who wanted desperately to find a way to keep him.

So when Callahan, now with the Cleveland Browns, needed a lineman heading into the playoffs, Hance seemed like the perfect fit."

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Well, if I recall, it actually said there was 11 NFL teams within 7 hours of the Browns...........................But still

"offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who wanted desperately to find a way to keep him.

So when Callahan, now with the Cleveland Browns, needed a lineman heading into the playoffs, Hance seemed like the perfect fit."

This is what I heard in a piece on the NFLN I believe.  Makes little difference to me, we're talking about a player who's been on 4 teams before the Browns, all as a practice squad player.  

• 1 month later...

Blake hance is the human proof why signing thuney to 18 mil per year is a waste 

This thread does not do him justice the guy played great and will have an NFL career based on his 2 playoff games 

More Jets mismanagement to let him go, also guys like Calvin Anderson, Shell, dozier, beachum all so they can sign Fant, gvr and elflein 

JD may have been a former offensive lineman but outside of drafting Becton his line moves have been garbage 

Like really bad 

Remember Ryan Kalil making 8 million without a human neck? Inexcusable 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This thread does not do him justice the guy played great and will have an NFL career based on his 2 playoff games 

More Jets mismanagement to let him go, also guys like Calvin Anderson, Shell, dozier, beachum all so they can sign Fant, gvr and elflein 

JD may have been a former offensive lineman but outside of drafting Becton his line moves have been garbage 

JD does have a bad history of letting good players walk out the door. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Calvin Anderson who played 2 games? Dakota Dozier, a starter on a really bad Vikings OL? Shell has less upside and is more injury prone than Fant and was benched more than once when he was on this team. Beachum wanted to move on and was replaced by Becton so what’s the issue here? 

If this offseason sees a failure to add talent to the line, I’ll agree with you but right now you’re lamenting 3 players worse than JAGS and 1 good swing tackle.

• Thumb Down 1