Browns Steal OL From Jets Practice Squad

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Calvin Anderson who played 2 games? Dakota Dozier, a starter on a really bad Vikings OL? Shell has less upside and is more injury prone than Fant and was benched more than once when he was on this team. Beachum wanted to move on and was replaced by Becton so what’s the issue here? 

If this offseason sees a failure to add talent to the line, I’ll agree with you but right. Is you’re lamenting 3 players worse than JAGS and 1 good swing tackle.

Fant makes 9 million dollars and was average at best. Shell made 4.5. Beachum made 3. 

Fant was not twice as good as Shell and 3x as good as Beachum. He wasn't even as good as shell. 

Put it another way they would rather give 9 mil to Fant than 8 mil for robby. 

Also... Ryan Kalil? 

Honestly there are fans playing madden who could find better talent. Jd has been an OK drafter and awful at fa so far. That's the status quo 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fant makes 9 million dollars and was average at best. Shell made 4.5. Beachum made 3. 

Fant was not twice as good as Shell and 3x as good as Beachum. He wasn't even as good as shell. 

Also... Ryan Kalil? 

Honestly there are fans playing madden who could find better talent. Jd has been an OK drafter and awful at fa so far. That's the status quo 

Kalil was a shot in the dark hoping for some magic because trotting out Jonatthon Harrison was the plan of the old guy. 

Fant is not any better than Shell and he is much worse than Beachum. He got paid for his upside but he settled at mediocre. Still it was at worst a lateral move rather than a disaster. However, pretending like the Jets failed by letting OL go barely registers since you only use mostly bad players as your examples. 

Let’s see what he does this offseason, last year saw a small net improvement over the year before, another improvement alleviates concern. 

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Let’s see what he does this offseason, last year saw a small net improvement over the year before, another improvement alleviates concern. 

I'm not expecting jd to improve 

What he needs to do to recognize his short comings and take Sewell. Let him and Becton carry the team. It almost does not matter who plays guard at that point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not expecting jd to improve 

What he needs to do to recognize his short comings and take Sewell. Let him and Becton carry the team. It almost does not matter who plays guard at that point. 

Okay but you’re basing your conclusion on 1 offseason. Sewell will likely perform at a lower level than Becton did is first year, not because Sewell is bad but because Becton had a really good year for a rookie. The standard is more similar to Andrew Thomas. Drafting Sewell and not investing cap money into guards is basically a death sentence for JD and he should avoid it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Okay but you’re basing your conclusion on 1 offseason. Sewell will likely perform at a lower level than Becton did is first year, not because Sewell is bad but because Becton had a really good year for a rookie. The standard is more similar to Andrew Thomas. Drafting Sewell and not investing cap money into guards is basically a death sentence for JD and he should avoid it. 

Sewell is the highest graded lineman in pff history. He's going to be Quenton Nelson (the 2nd highest graded lineman) an instant all pro but at tackle. He's better than Thomas and Becton too. 

Becton actually had a mixed year. He was outstanding in run blocking and led the fan vote for the pro bowl. But he missed 2 games, gave up 7 sacks and did not make it to the pro bowl (which means coaches and other players disagreed with the fans) 

Becton is a pro bowl snub at left tackle. he could take the next step at right tackle. Don't get me wrong I love Becton. He's just like the only good player on offense and we've overrated him because of that 

We agree expensive guards are dumb 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Sewell is the highest graded lineman in pff history. He's going to be Quenton Nelson (the 2nd highest graded lineman) an instant all pro but at tackle. He's better than Thomas and Becton too. 

Becton actually had a mixed year. He was outstanding in run blocking and led the fan vote for the pro bowl. But he missed 2 games, gave up 7 sacks and did not make it to the pro bowl (which means coaches and other players disagreed with the fans) 

Becton is a pro bowl snub at left tackle. he could take the next step at right tackle. Don't get me wrong I love Becton. He's just like the only good player on offense and we've overrated him because of that 

Becton is good. His season was more up than down and if you compare him to other rookie first rounders his performance is outstanding. Yes Wirfs and possible Wills were better but all 3 performed at a level where you could expect them to develop into elite players. 

Maybe i wasn’t clear but I’d pay expensive guards to turn things around quickly. 

As for Sewell, yeah he’s done great but he didn’t many vertical sets in college and he was injury prone and he hasn’t played in over a year. Add all that and take into account that he likely will struggle year 1 and the risk isn’t worth it for Douglas, especially if he trots out Darnold while Fields or Wilson prosper. 

33 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Becton is good. His season was more up than down and if you compare him to other rookie first rounders his performance is outstanding. Yes Wirfs and possible Wills were better but all 3 performed at a level where you could expect them to develop into elite players. 

Maybe i wasn’t clear but I’d pay expensive guards to turn things around quickly. 

As for Sewell, yeah he’s done great but he didn’t many vertical sets in college and he was injury prone and he hasn’t played in over a year. Add all that and take into account that he likely will struggle year 1 and the risk isn’t worth it for Douglas, especially if he trots out Darnold while Fields or Wilson prosper. 

Becton is outstanding in pancakes. They ran behind him. Whatever offense they had was left-handed. It would be nice to run in two directions. Draft Sewell and as @Philc1 said 'punch other teams in the mouth until they cry' 

Slater btw is also a top prospect the Jets could trade down get Slater/Becton (leave Becton at LT in that scenario) and also enact this plan, which sets up the LeFleur play action WCO they want to run. Both Sewell and Slater missed a year which is not a bug it's a feature. They've been working out like beast mode with professionals while guys like Fields play with broken ribs. I'm fine with Slater at RT, if he works out as expected. 

Sewell/Slater is a bit like Quinnen/Ed Oliver. Sewell has the more traditional body type for the position, but both will be good. The difference is draft value. one's like a top 3 pick the other is a top 10 pick. 

Both will be instant starters and not bust. Guys like Wilson and Fields are honestly 50/50 coinflips 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

I too want Sewell but Quenton Nelson is the bomb.  I would be happy with a solid long term starter.  Nelson is headed for Canton.

37 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

I too want Sewell but Quenton Nelson is the bomb.  I would be happy with a solid long term starter.  Nelson is headed for Canton.

Penei Sewell is the only person to win the outland trophy as a true sophomore. His 2019 film graded better than Nelson's Notre Dame film. He's going to be instant good.  

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Also... Ryan Kalil? 

This.

I’m still waiting for our 5 draft picks from Rounds 3 and 4 to do something....like anything.

• 9 months later...