Sooooo Dan Mullen?

Mogglez

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I would be curious if anyone is against Mullen but for Matt Campbell and why? 

I'm actually very curious what your thoughts are for Campbell becoming the Jets HC.  I have been digging in to him the past 2 weeks or so and I like him.  I like where's he come from and what he did at Toledo too.  Seems like a teacher which I am partial to. 

Anyway, you have probably been watching him more closely in real time than I have. Any deeper thoughts than the stuff I'm getting while playing the catch up game?  Would he be the right hire from your perspective? 

Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell: “Greatness isn’t just for the chosen few. Greatness is for those who choose to be different and demand to become the best version of themselves.” Elite leader and program builder.

4 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Brady and Wilson is the best coach QB combination available to the Jets.

Tell me why his 2 years of experience makes him the guy to turn our perpetually tortured franchise around from the HC position.  I'm sincerely interested. No one has been able to give me more than a few barely impressive offensive stats so far. 20th in team offense this year is sorta meh no? 

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

Tell me why his 2 years of experience makes him the guy to turn our perpetually tortured franchise around from the HC position.  I'm sincerely interested. No one has been able to give me more than a few barely impressive offensive stats so far. 20th in team offense this year is sorta meh no? 

He turned Joe Burrow from an undraftable prospect to number one overall pick and he worked before that under Sean Payton. I wouldn’t hold it against him that he couldn’t get Teddy checkdown to become a good QB. Brady is the next McVay or Shanahan and I would hire him a year too early vs missing out on the next great coach.

Not interested in going the retread route and want to swing for the fences for once. Give me Joe Brady and Zach Wilson and we will be contenders in just a few short years.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm actually very curious what your thoughts are for Campbell becoming the Jets HC.  I have been digging in to him the past 2 weeks or so and I like him.  I like where's he come from and what he did at Toledo too.  Seems like a teacher which I am partial to. 

Anyway, you have probably been watching him more closely in real time than I have. Any deeper thoughts than the stuff I'm getting while playing the catch up game?  Would he be the right hire from your perspective? 

Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell: “Greatness isn’t just for the chosen few. Greatness is for those who choose to be different and demand to become the best version of themselves.” Elite leader and program builder.

I think Campbell is a terrific coach.  I am not sure he'd be a terrific NFL coach, but he's a very good college coach.  That said, I think it's a bit exaggerated just how good he is/has been, but good none the less.

He would not be within my first few choices as coach, but I wouldn't lose my mind about him.

The thing that gives me pause about Campbell, or something I'm not sure the average person looking at his Iowa State resume would realize is he's an "offensive" coach, but his defense at Iowa State is the reason they are successful.  His D-Coordinator put in a scheme few years ago to combat the spread offenses of the Big 12 and it has been so successful it's being copied all over the place, even in the NFL a little.  

Campbell may prove to be a good coach in the NFL but I don't think the casual observer of ISU football realizes that they run a very conservative, ball control offense and rely on their defense more than vice versa.  I'm not saying that is a bad thing.  Hell that's been Iowa's recipe for 20+ years now.  I just get the impression that is the least desirable "style" for many on this board, yet Campbell seems to be the closest thing to a consensus top choice of the board.

I also have slight concerns if his rah rah routine would fade out quickly in the pros, but I don't really know one way or another on that.  That quote he gave today for example, that's all great.  I don't know how genuine it is.  That's his brand, and he's smart enough to know that's his brand.  That type of stuff doesn't fly as much when you are 5-10 in December.

FWIW I don't think hes all that interested in the NFL, as I've said in other threads.

• Upvote 2

A lot of dots starting to connect here. 

1. Dan Mullen coached Mississippi State to be ranked #1 in FBS. The first and only coach in that state to do so. 

2. That was the year he had Dak Prescott as a Senior. 

3. Justin Fields is the same height, weight, playing style as Dak Prescott. 

4. the year before drafting Dak, Cowboys went 4-12, yet had probowl talent at WR, OT, and in the DL.  The year following, they went 13-3 with Dak replacing an injured Tony Romo (the pro comp for Sam Darnold). 

...if it’s your job to turn around a failing franchise, and create a good culture with a good (to great) roster, emulating ‘America’s Team’ to create a “good product” if not a “winner” would be a great blueprint to follow, (if you could eliminate the whole owner/GM business model).

1 hour ago, Pennington said:

He turned Joe Burrow from an undraftable prospect to number one overall pick and he worked before that under Sean Payton. I wouldn’t hold it against him that he couldn’t get Teddy checkdown to become a good QB. Brady is the next McVay or Shanahan and I would hire him a year too early vs missing out on the next great coach.

Not interested in going the retread route and want to swing for the fences for once. Give me Joe Brady and Zach Wilson and we will be contenders in just a few short years.

Interesting. So he made burrow into a #1 overall pick? Many, myself included think it's probably more to do with the all star cast that was around him. Not to take anything away from Burrow of course.  LSU broke the record for players drafted into the NFL last year. And 5 went in the 1st rd. That's not to mention Jamar Chase and Marshall probably going in the first this year too. That's pretty stout. 

The thing with Brady is that he wasn't really even the OC at LSU. He was the passing game coordinator.  The OC was the guy who is still there now. So that means JB had the singular duty of working with Burrow and the WR's essentially. Not devise the entire offense and manage it on a daily basis.   His first time ever doing that was this year. And at 20th overall he beat out 12 teams in offensive prowess. 

In honesty it looks to me like he did a good job with all stars and a lesser job with a more average bunch.  Again, I'm not hearing anything that signifies JB is the guy to take over the NY JETS and bring us to the promised land.  

The retread argument also has me a bit perplexed.  The NY Jets have only gone that route a handful of times. Parcells, Kotite, Gase. In truth we've gone for the Joe Brady's of the world many more times over the years. Walton, Coslet, Carroll, Edwards, Mangini, Rex, Bowles. 

I appreciate you replying but I'm just not seeing it. That's not to say that he couldn't be great. AI can't say anything like that, but the fuel for this Brady love is minimal at best imo.  I seriously hope that's not the route we go... again. 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think Campbell is a terrific coach.  I am not sure he'd be a terrific NFL coach, but he's a very good college coach.  That said, I think it's a bit exaggerated just how good he is/has been, but good none the less.

He would not be within my first few choices as coach, but I wouldn't lose my mind about him.

The thing that gives me pause about Campbell, or something I'm not sure the average person looking at his Iowa State resume would realize is he's an "offensive" coach, but his defense at Iowa State is the reason they are successful.  His D-Coordinator put in a scheme few years ago to combat the spread offenses of the Big 12 and it has been so successful it's being copied all over the place, even in the NFL a little.  

Campbell may prove to be a good coach in the NFL but I don't think the casual observer of ISU football realizes that they run a very conservative, ball control offense and rely on their defense more than vice versa.  I'm not saying that is a bad thing.  Hell that's been Iowa's recipe for 20+ years now.  I just get the impression that is the least desirable "style" for many on this board, yet Campbell seems to be the closest thing to a consensus top choice of the board.

I also have slight concerns if his rah rah routine would fade out quickly in the pros, but I don't really know one way or another on that.  That quote he gave today for example, that's all great.  I don't know how genuine it is.  That's his brand, and he's smart enough to know that's his brand.  That type of stuff doesn't fly as much when you are 5-10 in December.

FWIW I don't think hes all that interested in the NFL, as I've said in other threads.

ahhh. yes. Thats an interesting take on the quote.  Smart enough to know it's his brand.  

So that can be a very strong attribute. To be aware of your strengths and limitations or it can be a prison cell where he could feel he is "supposed" to do or say a thing. Sucks to get caught in that crap. Like Rex imo. 

Thanks HJ.  Those are really good points. You actually touched on a few of the exact things I've seen and am using to support my positive vibes about him.  So this creates a more specific deeper dive for me.  Interestingly I get the vibe that he is not interested in the NFL either. But I'm thinking if anyone can get him to feel the juice of possibility its JD.  Maybe. Maybe not. 

He played DE on the field so it doesn't surprise me that the D ended up being a strength. But I completely agree that winning games 13-10 is not exactly what many are looking for. We'd much rather 42-35 lol  In all honesty so would I, but I always liked a mean stifling D that punches teams in the mouth. I'm old so... :) 

Any thoughts of that D philosophy you mentioned being a testament to MC as a HC and overseer of the whole operation as opposed to "his unit" being the strength ?  I'm really looking for John Harbaugh here.  Ya know? 

14 hours ago, JiF said:

His 2 QB's and the one coming in are all obviously much bigger prospects then Trask but also more of a Mullen QB so he'll be able to run his hole playbook that he couldnt with Trask.

13 hours ago, JiF said:

He likes Emory Jones.  He's been keeping him in the program while playing Trask.  He's a much more talented athlete and can run the hole playbook.  

What's this "hole playbook" you keep talking about? 

sexy dean winchester GIF

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I just like the term "thorough and Lengthy search". That is what I want.  JD burning the midnight oil with guys like Fitzgerald, Campbell, Roman, Arthur Smith, Dabol, Swinney, Riley and whoever else not named Joe Brady. ?  It's exciting to think of a guy who actually knows things and his team of guys who also know things digging in deep. 

rigwq4t7nxu01.jpg

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interesting. So he made burrow into a #1 overall pick? Many, myself included think it's probably more to do with the all star cast that was around him. Not to take anything away from Burrow of course.  LSU broke the record for players drafted into the NFL last year. And 5 went in the 1st rd. That's not to mention Jamar Chase and Marshall probably going in the first this year too. That's pretty stout. 

The thing with Brady is that he wasn't really even the OC at LSU. He was the passing game coordinator.  The OC was the guy who is still there now. So that means JB had the singular duty of working with Burrow and the WR's essentially. Not devise the entire offense and manage it on a daily basis.   His first time ever doing that was this year. And at 20th overall he beat out 12 teams in offensive prowess. 

In honesty it looks to me like he did a good job with all stars and a lesser job with a more average bunch.  Again, I'm not hearing anything that signifies JB is the guy to take over the NY JETS and bring us to the promised land.  

The retread argument also has me a bit perplexed.  The NY Jets have only gone that route a handful of times. Parcells, Kotite, Gase. In truth we've gone for the Joe Brady's of the world many more times over the years. Walton, Coslet, Carroll, Edwards, Mangini, Rex, Bowles. 

I appreciate you replying but I'm just not seeing it. That's not to say that he couldn't be great. AI can't say anything like that, but the fuel for this Brady love is minimal at best imo.  I seriously hope that's not the route we go... again. 

I don't care what title Brady had at LSU. He was the one calling the plays and the one responsible for turning Burrow into the number one pick. Look what happened to the LSU program once Brady left.

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Weren't you the one pushing for Marvin Lewis. Yeah give me Brady over a retread like that without a doubt.

13 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

ahhh. yes. Thats an interesting take on the quote.  Smart enough to know it's his brand.  

So that can be a very strong attribute. To be aware of your strengths and limitations or it can be a prison cell where he could feel he is "supposed" to do or say a thing. Sucks to get caught in that crap. Like Rex imo. 

Thanks HJ.  Those are really good points. You actually touched on a few of the exact things I've seen and am using to support my positive vibes about him.  So this creates a more specific deeper dive for me.  Interestingly I get the vibe that he is not interested in the NFL either. But I'm thinking if anyone can get him to feel the juice of possibility its JD.  Maybe. Maybe not. 

He played DE on the field so it doesn't surprise me that the D ended up being a strength. But I completely agree that winning games 13-10 is not exactly what many are looking for. We'd much rather 42-35 lol  In all honesty so would I, but I always liked a mean stifling D that punches teams in the mouth. I'm old so... :) 

Any thoughts of that D philosophy you mentioned being a testament to MC as a HC and overseer of the whole operation as opposed to "his unit" being the strength ?  I'm really looking for John Harbaugh here.  Ya know? 

To answer the question about him being more if a CEO type coach, from what I've heard, yes that is accurate.  He trusts his assistants and is involved in all aspects.  He has 2 very good coordinators at ISU 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Pennington said:

I don't care what title Brady had at LSU. He was the one calling the plays and the one responsible for turning Burrow into the number one pick. Look what happened to the LSU program once Brady left.

And the 13 players selected in the draft.  Even if it was all Brady it's still one year.  Nowhere near enough of a sample size. 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

And the 13 players selected in the draft.  Even if it was all Brady it's still one year.  Nowhere near enough of a sample size. 

Better than the sample size of Marvin Lewis never winning a playoff game. You can strive for mediocrity I will strive to be the best.