Sam back? Don’t kill the messenger

NFL

Will Sam Darnold stick around under Joe Douglas’ new regime?

There’s a belief around the league that Jets’ General Manager Joe Douglas will stick with QB Sam Darnold for the foreseeable future.

Published

2 hours ago

What's in this article?  Click to show 

With no Trevor Lawrence to select in the 2021 NFL Draft, what will the New York Jets do with their current QB Sam Darnold? Ultimately, Darnold’s future could be in the hands of a new head coach with Adam Gase’s future all but decided. However, according to PFN Insider Benjamin Allbright, current Jets General Manager Joe Douglas has an opinion on what the team should be doing with their young third-year QB.

Joe Douglas has plenty of belief in Sam Darnold

During this week’s PFN Weekly, Allbright reported what he has heard surrounding Douglas and his feelings towards Sam Darnold.

“Internally, Joe Douglas looks at Sam Darnold like a quality quarterback. I think that they believe they can get there [win a Super Bowl] with him. The question is, what do they have to surround him with and if the next HC believes in that the same way he does. Are they even drafting at number two or do they trade back and acquire more picks? I think that’s the most likely destination for them right now.”

Allbright mentioned that the Jets could try and get one of those QB-hungry teams to trade up for Zach Wilson or Justin Fields. However, whenever it comes to top draft picks, things remain fluid and can change in a heartbeat.

With this strategy involving a trade, the Jets could continue to fill out holes on this roster. Allbright highlighted some of the talents on the offense but mentioned the offensive line as a key focus for the Jets.

Allbright even went as far as to say, “If it’s me and I’m the Jets, I’m shopping the number pick, sticking with Darnold, and we’re moving backward in the draft. There’s an internal belief in some league circles that the Jets will stick with Darnold. There were teams lining up to pursue Sam Darnold.”

While it will ultimately hinge on the next head coach, that seems to be the strategy GM Joe Douglas is pursuing.

Note: You can view Allbright talking about the latest on what he’s hearing in the video above. Don’t forget to visit and subscribe to the PFN YouTube Channel for more inside information from around the NFL.

Some previous examples of similar trades

The Jets had the reverse happen with them in the 2018 NFL Draft when they moved up for Sam Darnold. The Colts had the third overall pick and were preparing for Andrew Luck to come back for another season with a new coaching staff. Indianapolis moved the third pick to the Jets for the sixth overall pick and three second-round picks. The Colts went on to draft Quenton Nelson with that sixth pick.

In the 2017 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills both received two first-round picks when they moved down with a QB-needy team. The Browns used Houston’s picks to select Jabrill Peppers and Denzel Ward. The Bills used their picks as part of a package deal to move up for Josh Allen.

The Jets, if they do decide to stick with Sam Darnold, can use these picks to address other needs on their roster. They could also flip these future picks to move up for a quarterback later if this decision doesn’t work out.

How might the Jets build around Sam Darnold?

As Allbright said, the Jets could focus on building the offensive line around Sam Darnold. This includes moving stud left tackle Mekhi Becton over to right tackle if they draft OT Penei Sewell. That may not happen if the team trades down, however. Luckily for the Jets, the 2021 NFL Draft is full of talented offensive linemen.

The Jets could also look to surround Darnold with more skill-position talent. Allbright highlighted WR Denzel Mims and TE Christopher Herndon as talented players, but the team will need more. The 2021 NFL Draft features several elite WR prospects.

With plenty of top talent at critical positions, the Jets’ strategy to trade down and dip into these talent pools repeatedly could pay off.

The Jets will also need to build up the defensive side of the ball to help Sam Darnold. While the defensive line has played well this season, the Jets need to improve their pass-rush and secondary. Unlike the offensive prospects, these talents are at more of a premium in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Acquiring more picks to nab these positions early might be Joe Douglas’ ultimate goal. In Philadelphia, he saw the benefits of having an outstanding pass rush up front.

Is building around Jets QB Sam Darnold the best strategy?

Joe Douglas’ gamble on Sam Darnold is a risky maneuver. While Darnold has had flashes of good play, he’s been inconsistent for three years now. While much of the blame might be placed on Adam Gase, it doesn’t change Darnold’s rocky tenure with the Jets.

Passing on a quarterback is always a risky gamble, especially quarterbacks as talented as Zach Wilson and Justin Fields. While it’s important to build up a team, nabbing a quarterback is always step #1 in a rebuild. If Wilson and/or Fields hits big on the team that trades up for him, Douglas will look like he got played.

Douglas’ strategy, if it works, will be regarded as genius. If it doesn’t, he could find himself out of a job.

• Upvote 1

This definitely worries me, but the big question will be - what does the new coach think of Sam?

I would expect most new coaches to want to start fresh with their own guy and not be saddled with the burden of having to turn a 4th year QB around. 

The caveat here is that Douglas could only focus on coaches who like Darnold, which would be a huge mistake. 

• Upvote 4

If JD believed in Sam, he would’ve gotten FA offense help to put him in a situation to succeed this year. Absent a miracle turnaround that obviously did not occur, JD takes control of this team in the draft and finds a QB to hitch his wagon to with the #2.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This definitely worries me, but the big question will be - what does the new coach think of Sam?

I would expect most new coaches to want to start fresh with their own guy and not be saddled with the burden of having to turn a 4th year QB around. 

The caveat here is that Douglas could only focus on coaches who like Darnold, which would be a huge mistake. 

cia GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Douglas probably moves on, but I think part of the reason he chose the job was Sam

I mean if that makes you feel better but his attempts to bring real talent in should show you how he really feels, not the media fed sweet nothings. I mean if he thinks darnold sucks he would never admit, not now and not when he was hired  

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

It’s not what I want, but it’s what I’ve been told as well.

I really hope this isn’t the case.

Respectfully, I don’t care if Joe Douglas himself was your source, it is way to early for anyone to make a assumption one way or the other. So many variables and so many things to play out. This is smoke screen season 

• Upvote 1

I will hold my opinion until I see whom the Jets choose as their next HC.

To believe that Darnold is ok to go forward with is be believe that his phenomenal throws at times will not continued to be an essentially minimized by his boneheaded bottom line inconsistent play.  Yes Sam is a good person, quality teammate and at times passable QB but the bottom line is this year Darnold was awful and looked worse than he did under OC Bates and that is truly frightening. 

Throw in Sam's contract situation in two years and you have a scary situation.

Obviously if the new HC and JD think that Sam is the man going forward ...well it is what it is....

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, oatmeal said:

Respectfully, I don’t care if Joe Douglas himself was your source, it is way to early for anyone to make a assumption one way or the other. So many variables and so many things to play out. This is smoke screen season 

I made it clear in my large post with info that I also heard that nothing is set in stone, that the head coach hire will truly determines Sam’s fate, along with how well the other QBs test in the next few months.  Trust me, I’m not automatically assuming the worst, but there is definitely a Pro-Sam sentiment within the organization.  The big question, that no one knows, is does that sentiment outweigh the belief that it’s time to move on and try again with another guy of JDs choosing.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

If Sam is back next year than this year makes Joe look unbelievably incompetent.

The only way anyone can rationally explain this season is if we were intentionally tanking and getting a new coach and QB this season.

Pretty clear to me as well. If Darnold is starting Week 1 then Douglas is not the guy.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

1. This could be a smokescreen and an effort to elevate Sam's trade value.

2. The case of Indy trading back when the Jets moved up to #3 for Sam is interesting.  The Colts loaded up on picks and are poised to make the playoffs this year with a recycled Philip Rivers under Coach Frank Reich.  You could make an argument that a similar strategy (getting a new HC like Indy did, trading back for a boatload of picks, etc.) and keeping Sam might appeal to JD.  You could also look at what swapping out Jeff Fisher for Sean McVay did for the Rams while keeping Goff.

3. This 100% comes down to what the new HC and Douglas think of Fields and/or Wilson.  If they think it's an upgrade over Sam then they pull the trigger and start fresh with a new HC/QB combo.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It probably would also limit the choices. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty clear to me as well. If Darnold is starting Week 1 then Douglas is not the guy.

If Sam is the starter next year, I’m officially going dark side on Douglas and will unhesitatingly call him a bust. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I made it clear in my large post with info that I also heard that nothing is set in stone, that the head coach hire will truly determines Sam’s fate, along with how well the other QBs test in the next few months.  Trust me, I’m not automatically assuming the worst, but there is definitely a Pro-Sam sentiment within the organization.  The big question, that no one knows, is does that sentiment outweigh the belief that it’s time to move on and try again with another guy of JDs choosing.  

I would expect there to a pro Sam sentiment , after all he's a #3 draft pick . However I trust they'll take every position on the team into evaluation especially one as critical as QB.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

2. The case of Indy trading back when the Jets moved up to #3 for Sam is interesting.  The Colts loaded up on picks and are poised to make the playoffs this year with a recycled Philip Rivers under Coach Frank Reich.  You could make an argument that a similar strategy (getting a new HC like Indy did, trading back for a boatload of picks, etc.) and keeping Sam might appeal to JD.  You could also look at what swapping out Jeff Fisher for Sean McVay did for the Rams while keeping Goff.

3. This 100% comes down to what JD and Douglas think of Fields and/or Wilson.  If they think it's an upgrade over Sam then they pull the trigger and start fresh with a new HC/QB combo.

I take the view that McVay is overrated as a coach, but he is talented. Goff, however, is a bottom tier quarterback that has conned the Rams into giving him an unwieldy contract. Had McVay had a decent quarterback at his disposal against the Patriots, I would wager that they score more than 3 points in the Super Bowl.

Yeah, a great coach might coax a few extra wins out of a team with a mediocre quarterback but it is a strategy doomed to failure when the whips are cracking.

Personally, while I think that Darnold is salvageable in the league, the Jets would be making a mistake if they stand Pat St #2 but don't take a QB. 

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think he does not want to give Darnold away but would do so if the price is right, if not he can stay one more year and ease the New Qb into it.

The big worry for me is that James frickn Morgan is the new Hackenburg for this regime.

I wish I could worry about James Morgan but I have like 20 more serious concerns in front of the queue lol 

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

3. This 100% comes down to what JD and Douglas think of Fields and/or Wilson.  If they think it's an upgrade over Sam then they pull the trigger and start fresh with a new HC/QB combo.

JD AND Douglas? 

The Jeff Fisher/Sean McVay upgrade is interesting but not a great comparison because Goff was entering his second season with three more years left on his rookie deal. Darnold is about to enter year 4 with a big financial decision on him looming.