What do you think of this mock draft?

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I don't follow college ball.  So I realize I don't know as much as many here.

With that said, for months I've been hearing "Lawrence is the best thing since boobs were invented!"

So I watch the game the other night vs Fields.  And...  eh...  

Plus I heard during the game TL didn't do great in the 3 games he had vs quality teams.  

That tells me he's not a "generational" talent.  All that hype was BS.  And here on this board, because Fields played great, now guys are saying maybe Fields is the top QB.

It's all just a crap shoot.  Sometimes the best QB is the 3rd or 5th QB taken.

Yeah if there was a truly great, can't miss, rookie QB, sure I'd be for it.

I am pretty sure though that TL or Fields would not have done well on the Jets the last 3 years.  No one would have.  We really sucked.

So I think Sam can be (or is) just as good as those two.  At least it's worth a shot to try with a solid team/coach around him.

I mean why waste a #2 pick on a QB when we could have one already?

If we build a great oline, add a top WR, and a good RB, and Sam does suck...  no biggie.  Draft one next season.  Then at least the new QB in 2022 benefits from the resources spent this year (including the #2 pick Sewell hopefully).

You can’t use the board as representative of draft stuff. As a whole  posters here vacillate with each game and are obscenely reactionary. Lawrence still is the number one prospect. Fields is the number two and logically always was. There still almost always be questions about top QBs. Do not taking one because it’s not a guarantee is foolish. There is a higher likelihood of fields being good than there is off darnold magically turning it around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if your gonna use all those picks to trade up for a qb next year whats the point of the trade down? Just take fields and be done with it.

Could you imagine if Joe Douglas passed on a QB this year to stick with Sam Darnold and Sam has the same type of year next year as he did this year? Douglas will go immediately on the hot seat if he i

They’re desperate to manufacture a way to make it seem logical to keep the worst qualifying QB in the NFL. Getting sad to watch.

7 minutes ago, TheMo said:

There is a higher likelihood of fields being good than there is off darnold magically turning it around. 

Do you think Fields would have been a good QB here the last 3 years?

Keep in mind highlights such as:

1.  A Center who literally could not snap a football.

2.  WRs off the street.

3.  Gase.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
3 hours ago, jgb said:

They’re desperate to manufacture a way to make it seem logical to keep the worst qualifying QB in the NFL. Getting sad to watch.

I doubt if JD sticks with Sam next year.  Trade Sam and either draft a QB somewhere or sign a vet placeholder.  SF picking 15th is not all that far to move back considering how much ammo we already have and how much more we'll be netting.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-crabbs-4.0

San_Francisco_49ers_logo.svg.png
49ers

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

TRADE: San Francisco trades 2021 1st & 2nd round picks, 2022 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks & 2023 3rd round pick to New York (Jets) for No. 2 overall

The 49ers make a big splash. The Jets make a shocking move. Welcome to pandemonium, everyone!

Yeah !!!  Go Embrace the Suck!!

You got it !!!

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We will have lots of ammo to trade up if we have to.

History suggests you do not need to be picking 1st or 2nd to get a good QB.

Hey I would be surprised if the jets seriously get a big enough trade down offer. 

I'm just saying QBs are out every year and often 3 or 4 of them.

Do you realize what you are advocating? Trading down this year and passing on a high potential QB to pick up future first and then using those firsts next year to trade up to take a QB? Trading up for Darnold cost the Jets dearly. The Jets may never get a shot at a talent like Fields. It’s a QB league. Stay put and take Fields.Trade Darnold for a 3rd. That gives the Jets 2 firsts , a second, and three thirds, plus two firsts in 2022, plus a ton of cap space. The assets are already there for a complete rebuild. Passing up Fields/Lawrence after last night is nuts.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Do you think Fields would have been a good QB here the last 3 years?

Keep in mind highlights such as:

1.  A Center who literally could not snap a football.

2.  WRs off the street.

3.  Gase.

Flacco and tanehill both looked better under gase. Deshaun Watson has put up great numbers with basically will fuller s as his only deep threat. Rest of that team is trash. No o line. This is why I think the likelihood of darnold turning it around are slim. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, jgb said:

Can we think of one GM who has traded out of a top 2 pick when his team needed a QB?

Have mentioend this repeatedly...

a trade down and haul MUST STILL ADDRESS QB. ...  trade down and

one of these 2 listed w/o regard to preference...

1)draft Trey Lance  

2) acquire Matt Stafford

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

With that said, for months I've been hearing "Lawrence is the best thing since boobs were invented!"

Plus I heard during the game TL didn't do great in the 3 games he had vs quality teams.  

That tells me he's not a "generational" talent.  All that hype was BS.  And here on this board, because Fields played great, now guys are saying maybe Fields is the top QB.

I am pretty sure though that TL or Fields would not have done well on the Jets the last 3 years.  No one would have.  We really sucked.

So I think Sam can be (or is) just as good as those two.  At least it's worth a shot to try with a solid team/coach around him.

If we build a great oline, add a top WR, and a good RB, and Sam does suck...  no biggie.  Draft one next season.  Then at least the new QB in 2022 benefits from the resources spent this year (including the #2 pick Sewell hopefully).

This is different, the problem with people like you is reviewing all the information. Trevor and Justin have been and are highly ranked highly regarded QB prospects, literally sense highschool. Both have < then 5 games where they sucked and many on here knew and still knows he’s great same for Trevor, you are literally allowing media driven hype cloud your precipitation.

Once you said “ I looked at Trevor last night and meh” - like is this a serious statement? And you couldn’t see the obvious greater QB prospects in Justin and Trevor? Sam college career stats, win record, talent level can’t hold a candle to Trevor or Justin.

Sam has been a overrated a victim of a good pen state game, many were wrong about him that’s why everyone gets the blame for Sams short comings. 

And the assumption that building a fortress around Sam will make him a better QB instantly is extremely comical, all we would be doing is giving him more time to mess up. I listen to other teams media platforms and fan bases across America are literally “hoping the Jets are dumb enough to keep Darnold” - can’t tell you how many times I’ve read and heard this. 

it’s like everyone knows Sam blows and keeping him and “adding weapons” is polishing a turd but the Sam Darnold fan club and the clickbait driven mainstream media. The media, well they know Sam blows but Jet fans are low hanging fruits and the topic of Sam is polarizing.

It’s always this SOJ attitude here, this reminds me of when Watson showed this same greatness his last year in college and how people like you destroyed him during the draft process.(I know you “liked Watson coming out” 🙄) - like everyone says  

What Justin did on Jan 1st had that Deshaun Watson vibe, and just put a !, on a great career and great prospect. This is not some flash in the pan situation like Sam Darnold and his situation coming out of USC. You and the biased blind Sam fans really need to understand this 👍

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
4 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Seriously it’s very cringe worthy, basically telling us our eyes and the stats are lying. Even if we bring up a situation like Cincinnati, literally worst situation (talent wise) but magically have better playing QBs(starter and backup) and they will still ignore those facts. They will say washed up A.J. and rookie Tee Higgins are all world players. 

It’s literally like living out that saying: “piss down my leg and tell me it’s rain”

i made a joke last week...  

GOP-ade        (Gods Own Piss)-Ade...    they piss in a vat and market it as thrist quenching trickle down economics..  it worked too.

its really a ripoff of Idiocracy's Brawndo.

Brawndo GIF by Idiocracy

• Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1
6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i made a joke last week...  

GOP-ade        (Gods Own Piss)-Ade...    they piss in a vat and market it as thrist quenching trickle down economics..  it worked too.

its really a ripoff of Idiocracy's Brawndo.

Brawndo GIF by Idiocracy

Love this post 

5 hours ago, jgb said:

But based on what??

It’s very hard for some people to admit they are wrong on the Internet. I thought Sam was The One and Macc fell ass backwards into a bed of roses when Giants took Saquon. But then evidence happened. I was wrong and I changed my mind. See, not that hard.

broken-record.gif

So the Jets trade down and end up with 3 additional picks in 2022 plus a 2nd this year and a 3rd in 2023.

AND we managed to draft DeVonta Smith, Kyle Pitts, Trey Smith and Javante Williams. I don’t really know the defensive guys in this mock but that’s one hell of a haul of offensive talent. If we add a WR and iOL in FA, the offensive supporting cast would be top notch.

Staying put at 2 and drafting a non-QB is the only thing that would give me pause. I’m fine with a QB at 2. I’m fine with a trade down.

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Have mentioend this repeatedly...

a trade down and haul MUST STILL ADDRESS QB. ...  trade down and

one of these 2 listed w/o regard to preference...

1)draft Trey Lance  

2) acquire Matt Stafford

Dangerous game to trade down and hope your dude is still there. Also the Matt Stafford thing — all we hear is how we shouldn’t spend the #2 on a QB because there are holes everywhere and the team is not “ready for a QB.” If that’s true why do we pay Stafford $30M to come to a team that’s going nowhere?

5 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I want you on my jury if I’m ever on trial for murder and the prosecutor has DNA, video, eye witnesses, and a confession.

I don't think JD will throw out trading down for a QB.  He lives to acquire more draft capital.  But you have to go Top 5 for a QB or Top 10 with  somebody like Trey Lance.  Sam is as good as gone now no matter how well he throws today.

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yup, @Jimmy 2 Times raised that one. Anyone have any others?

The Bills traded down with KC, built their team and then got Josh Allen. Mahomes was a homerun but likely would not be the same player in Buffalo as he is in KC. Either way, Buffalo is now poised to be the top team in our division for a while and Allen is a pro bowl QB.

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The Bills traded down with KC, built their team and then got Josh Allen. Mahomes was a homerun but likely would not be the same player in Buffalo as he is in KC. Either way, Buffalo is now poised to be the top team in our division for a while and Allen is a pro bowl QB.

Thanks, Bills traded #10. I was curious if any GM traded a top 2 pick whilst needing a QB. So far Sashi Brown was raised. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Dangerous game to trade down and hope your dude is still there. Also the Matt Stafford thing — all we hear is how we shouldn’t spend the #2 on a QB because there are holes everywhere and the team is not “ready for a QB.” If that’s true why do we pay Stafford $30M to come to a team that’s going nowhere?

we dont have to pay him 30 million. i believe i read his nut this next year is 9 million. i am basing it on that.

i know the trade down is dangerous. i like that about it just cos of the "**** traditional thinking" angle.

my pref is defo take a QB @ #2.  

more and more the sadistsic side of me wants Fields to ball out, Jax to take Fields and then we take Trev and he flops.

so that 95% of JetNation can find a ndw list of QB bad play excuses.

this is the 1st film i see that doesnt kiss Trevs ass like a 2$ whore...

• Thumb Down 2
8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

we dont have to pay him 30 million. i believe i read his nut this next year is 9 million. i am basing it on that.

i know the trade down is dangerous. i like that about it just cos of the "**** traditional thinking" angle.

my pref is defo take a QB @ #2.  

more and more the sadistsic side of me wants Fields to ball out, Jax to take Fields and then we take Trev and he flops.

so that 95% of JetNation can find a ndw list of QB bad play excuses.

this is the 1st film i see that doesnt kiss Trevs ass like a 2$ whore...

I dunno man lions are still pro rating $20M of his signing bonus against their cap through 2022, I think it’s more complicated than that. Still doesn’t make sense to me to forgo resetting the rookie QB contract clock on a team that’s being built back from zero. Expensive vet QB is usually an option for a team like the Bears that has pieces in place and isn’t drafting high IMHO.

And FYI I think Stafford is criminally underrated for what that’s worth.

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Thanks, Bills traded #10. I was curious if any GM traded a top 2 pick. So far Sashi Brown was raised. 

Yea it’s likely only the Browns then.

Sounds like you are pretty set on QB. But here’s one way to look at a non-QB scenario.

The likely outcome of Darnold is that he is a bust. What trading down does is flip the order of when you build around the QB. If we trade down, we’d be able have quality players at all the non-QB positions on offense. Then even if we have to trade up, said 2022 QB would be in an ideal situation to develop. We’re likely picking 8-14 in 2022 (unless Darnold has some crazy turnaround). So, we can trade up and still have plenty of picks. Like we could get into the 2nd or 3rd spot with say pick 10 plus the SF first and two seconds. That’ll still leave us with the Seattle pick.

It would essentially be punting on QB in order to setup the team first.

What I think is truly a bad decision is going non-QB at 2. In that scenario, Darnold busting hurts us since we’d have less draft capital to move up with.

11 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Yea it’s likely only the Browns then.

Sounds like you are pretty set on QB. But here’s one way to look at a non-QB scenario.

The likely outcome of Darnold is that he is a bust. What trading down does is flip the order of when you build around the QB. If we trade down, we’d be able have quality players at all the non-QB positions on offense. Then even if we have to trade up, said 2022 QB would be in an ideal situation to develop. We’re likely picking 8-14 in 2022 (unless Darnold has some crazy turnaround). So, we can trade up and still have plenty of picks. Like we could get into the 2nd or 3rd spot with say pick 10 plus the SF first and two seconds. That’ll still leave us with the Seattle pick.

It would essentially be punting on QB in order to setup the team first.

What I think is truly a bad decision is going non-QB at 2. In that scenario, Darnold busting hurts us since we’d have less draft capital to move up with.

I’m not sold on anything. I greatly prefer Lawrence but I’ve been wrong about tons of college QBs. I was just pointing out that there is almost no precedent for JD to trade down with the current state of the Jets. And with all due respect the Texas two step of trading down this year just to trade up next year doesn’t make sense unless you really hate Fields and are certain JAX is going Lawrence. Jets have picked top 2 very rarely despite being a bad team for a long time... last time we traded up for a QB we whiffed on Darnold and the loss of three 2nd rounders greatly contributed to this mess of having no supporting cast.

• Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, jgb said:

I dunno man lions are still pro rating $20M of his signing bonus against their cap through 2022, I think it’s more complicated than that. Still doesn’t make sense to me to forgo resetting the rookie QB contract clock on a team that’s being built back from zero. Expensive vet QB is usually an option for a team like the Bears that has pieces in place and isn’t drafting high IMHO.

And FYI I think Stafford is criminally underrated for what that’s worth.

am sure ur righgt that the Stafford 9 million is likely more complex. I agree that he is underrated too. whcih is why i keep bringing him up!

the whiole trading down and going for Trey still fascinates me too cos its so risky and we'd all be flabbergasted. and we'd get a crazy haul of picks that would utterly ,radically transform the roster. and we'd be thinking is JD insane, or a mad genius.

happy w/ Fields or Zach @ #2...    if Lawrence i go sadistic and hope he flops.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

am sure ur righgt that the Stafford 9 million is likely more complex. I agree that he is underrated too. whcih is why i keep bringing him up!

the whiole trading down and going for Trey still fascinates me too cos its so risky and we'd all be flabbergasted. and we'd get a crazy haul of picks that would utterly ,radically transform the roster. and we'd be thinking is JD insane, or a mad genius.

happy w/ Fields or Zach @ #2...    if Lawrence i go sadistic and hope he flops.

Also, Stafford has been rumored to be on the trading block seemingly for five years. Believe it when I see it.

10 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-crabbs-4.0

San_Francisco_49ers_logo.svg.png
49ers

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

TRADE: San Francisco trades 2021 1st & 2nd round picks, 2022 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks & 2023 3rd round pick to New York (Jets) for No. 2 overall

The 49ers make a big splash. The Jets make a shocking move. Welcome to pandemonium, everyone!

Make this trade, roll with Sam. Finish his rookie contract cheap. 
if he sucks you we take our QB next year.  Hi s he doesn’t your team is loaded with talented. 
font draft defense with any of it. Build a dominant offense.  

What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to do to think trading down and forgoing a QB is a good idea because you can get a bunch of picks that you can use to trade up later and pick a QB if you have to?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Mike135 said:

If you still believe in Sam I understand your point. That makes sense.

For me, the idea of drafting a rookie QB and having a quality coach and his staff develop him is the route we need to take. I just haven't seen enough from Sam, and the Jets have a huge decision to make on him coming up. They have a 5th year option they have to pickup or decline. 

It's impossible to predict what position you'll be in draft wise next year. We have the number 2 overall pick right now. Next years draft could be a 3 QB draft, and we could have the 11th pick. I would strike while you have the opportunity.

But like I said, if you believe in Sam still I understand your point.

18 minutes ago, freestater said:

What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to do to think trading down and forgoing a QB is a good idea because you can get a bunch of picks that you can use to trade up later and pick a QB if you have to?

mOaR pIcKs!!!!!1!!

• Upvote 1

What is this infatuation with trading back for more draft picks? We just saw a guy who lost a CFC before by throwing an interception, play half a schedule due to Covid, play a game with 22 players out on his team & not play well but will them to victory, then in this years semi final vs a team that lost 1 game because their QB was out and aniliate them by throwing for 6 TDs, one a bomb that traveled 62 yards in the air, and finish a game inwhich he was speared & injured (a hit that probably would have cracked Zack Wilson in half), a guy with all the intangibles required to do well in this new NFL, size (6-4"), Arm strength (2 long TDs vs Clemson), speed (probably run a 4.4 at the combine), can run, can throw on the run & is tough as nails! 

So we already have 18 draft picks over the next 2 years, we'll have almost 100 million in free agency, so let's trade back & if we can't solve our QB problems, we'll reset next year by moving up in the draft for a QB. 

WTF? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I get some of you guys who are for sticking with pick #2, and those who want to trade down. The draft is never and exact science. That's for sure. I guess the point of trading down, even if you think TL or JF are going to be good QB's is that this team is VOID of the talent in this league to ensure you have a football team to compete Sunday after Sunday.

Passing on a QB would not be the worst thing to happen to this team while accumulating more picks in the top 3 rounds. Who knows if JD might have a QB targeted in the later rounds, or even next years draft. All I know is that this team needs talent all over the place and the more picks in the top 3 rounds would probably have a better chance at getting us that talent then less picks. We've seen while JD is not perfect, that he has shown the ability to sniff out talent better than our last 2 GM's so whatever he decides for now, I'll trust him, until he proves otherwise. Everything else being bantered around is a MOOT point at this time.