Schefter- "Jets Joe Douglas expected to execute big trade"

Matt39

10 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Trade out of #2 for 4 extra picks. Get it done, build around Sam with a loaded draft.

This isn't a slam dunk.  You still have to hit on the draft picks which will be lower, therefor even more risky. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Marcus Lattimore for Seattle third.  Michael Gallup and Dallas second for Seattle first.

Lattimore playing on 5th year contract. 
$15m estimate. Gallup FA in ‘22. 

I like the players but I’d like to see them extended prior to trading draft picks. 

Odd for sure.  I don't think you can trade that 2nd pick until draft night in the 1 in 1 Mil chance Jags take Fields instead of Lawrence. 

I assume they'll be setting up the parameters for multiple trades but as far as executing one I think we have to wait till April.  It's the Trevor or trade down draft and since the Jags are most certainly taking Trevor.....

Can't wait to see the team they build around Sam! 

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

nfldraftscout ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the New York Jets would make a BIG trade this off-season…but is it trading Sam Darnold or trading the No. 2 overall pick? Based on my conversations with the #Jets and with other teams, there will be a market for Darnold that could become competitive in a hurry if veterans like Ben Roethlisberger or Philip Rivers opt to retire. Darnold has “many fans” around the league according to one front office member I spoke with and expected “at least 10 teams” to be interested in his services if he were to be moved. The asking price? It probably starts with the Jets asking for a second-rounder and change given Darnold’s play and the remaining time on his contract.

Its just Matt Miller. But hey, more rumors to talk about. 
Douglas bout to get a 1 for Sammy. I feel it. 

Teams are not trading anything higher than a 6th for Sam.   Would you?  Put yourself in Pittsburgh's or Indy's position.

Do you give up your 2nd pick for Sam and pay him 30M next year?  There are so many better options available to teams that want a QB and if you specifically want Sam for some dumb reason, just wait for the Jets to cut him and sign him for 10M backup money.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Honestly, I don't think the timing is right? JD will want to respect his new HC by allowing him the decision of whether to hold on to Sammy or cut bait? Once that decision had been made, then that big trade will be made. However, whether Sammy is around or not I still think JD is looking to possibly trade down and grab more picks.

My feeling is if JD simply relies on seven picks every year for the duration of his contract he'll never fix this team? There's simply too many problems in too many areas. I think JD needs to add draft capital and end up with more than seven players for a few years. 

I think passing on a QB at 2 if you like Fields or Wilson is a huge mistake when we already have a ton of picks and a ton of cap space. Accumulating more picks when you already have a ton of picks doesn't make sense to me. You miss out on the cream of the crop QBs and end up with a team down the road that needs to mortgage future picks to grab the most important piece. However, If you keep Sam then you do it - its a no brainer. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The only way I trade for Wentz is if WE get a first rounder for taking his awful contract. He would be the most expensive back up QB in the league, but not the worst.

Jets get Eagles #1 draft pick and Wentz's awful contract.

Eagles get Jets 6th rounder

I do this, but make the 6th a 7th

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Darnold has “many fans” around the league according to one front office member I spoke with and expected “at least 10 teams” to be interested in his services if he were to be moved.

But the JN intelligentsia says Sam sucks.  ?

This is mostly filler nonsense.  First order of business is a coach.  FA isn't until March, draft in April.

It's one thing for a bunch of "whacko fans" like us to throw out speculation.  Shefter is theoretically a professional.

Part of any strategy to increase the value of our picks is to create the fear in other teams that a rival may leap frog them by making a deal with the Jets for the QB that they just have to have.  Advertising that we are open for business is obvious part of the formula. Whether or not it manages to create desperation in another team remains to be seen,

While pre-draft or even draft-day fleecing can still happen I think it is riskier for a GM today than years ago and as a result is far far less likely to happen.

Like most years i suspect that all the real juicy trades only happen on boards like this or in the real world where we are the buyers (Drob, Mark, etc.) but who knows, 

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Odd for sure.  I don't think you can trade that 2nd pick until draft night in the 1 in 1 Mil chance Jags take Fields instead of Lawrence. 

I assume they'd be setting up the parameters for multiple trades but as far as executing one I think we have to wait till April.  It's the Trevor or trade down draft and since the Jags are most certainly taking Trevor.

Can't wait to see the team the build around Sam! 

How can anyone say it's Trevor or trade down draft after watching one of the gutsiest QB performances on a big stage in history. Let's pass on a guy that is built to win like we did Watson so we can keep Sam - even though no-one else would do this. I don't get the reasoning. It's not like Fields has had just one good game. He's only had 2 bad ones in his career - one when missing half the team and with a bad thumb on his throwing hand. The kid is tough, big and fast and accurate. How can we pass up on him? Reset the clock with a rookie and build around him with all of or assets. The only trade I would even consider would be one where we could still get Fields or Wilson and add another couple of high picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

How can anyone say it's Trevor or trade down draft after watching one of the gutsiest QB performances on a big stage in history. Let's pass on a guy that is built to win like we did Watson so we can keep Sam - even though no-one else would do this. I don't get the reasoning. It's not like Fields has had just one good game. He's only had 2 bad ones in his career - one when missing half the team and with a bad thumb on his throwing hand. The kid is tough, big and fast and accurate. How can we pass up on him? Reset the clock with a rookie and build around him with all of or assets. The only trade I would even consider would be one where we could still get Fields or Wilson and add another couple of high picks.

I think it's simple.  JD blames Gase, the injuries, the lack of continuity, and himself for not building a better supporting cast.

Fields was passing to a WR and RB that will be drafted in the first 2 rounds.  Sam has had Gore and Berrios as his 2 mainstays all season.  Fields would not have won with Gore and Berrios.

• Thumb Down 1

Does trading the worst QB in the NFL who is a mega bust constitute "executing a big trade"?   I wouldnt imagine so, nobody gave a **** when Josh Rosen was traded and he's an afterthought like Sam soon will be.

This is just JD talking through Shefter.  There is no trade in the works or some type of idea of a trade.  It's basically just putting up the open for business sign.  If there was any meat on this bone, I would imagine it's for the #2 overall, which would be absolutely moronic considering TL and JF havent even declared for the draft.  Or maybe there is a player in mind.  Doubt both, this is just lighting the vacancy sign. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Wait a second what about signing some free agents? Will Douglas likely do that too?

Not with only close to 100 million! Jets need at least 120 million before they’ll reach out to any agents. 

Just now, JiF said:

Does trading the worst QB in the NFL who is a mega bust constitute "executing a big trade"?   I wouldnt imagine so, nobody gave a **** when Josh Rosen was traded and he's an afterthought like Sam soon will be.

This is just JD talking through Shefter.  There is no trade in the works or some type of idea of a trade.  It's basically just putting up the open for business sign.  If there was any meat on this bone, I would imagine it's for the #2 overall, which would be absolutely moronic considering TL and JF havent even declared for the draft.  Or maybe there is a player in mind.  Doubt both, this is just lighting the vacancy sign. 

I'll be looking for your reaction on draft night when it sinks into that saltwater-logged pea brain of yours that Darnold is staying.

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Lattimore playing on 5th year contract. 
$15m estimate. Gallup FA in ‘22. 

I like the players but I’d like to see them extended prior to trading draft picks. 

That’s a prerequisite! 

Joe Douglas will exercise the fifth year option on Sam Darnold. If not because he wants to keep him, simply to give the illusion that he’s not taking a quarterback at number 2. I think there will be rumors of Cincinnati trading up from number 5 to take Sewell. That’s when the Douglas magic will take place and he will rob Miami blind to move up one spot so they can take the OT instead of Cincinnati. Douglas then gets his quarterback at number 3 anyway.

Sitting at number 3 and being so close to getting the premiere OT in this draft, and after trading away Laremy Tunsil, Miami will move up.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Teams are not trading anything higher than a 6th for Sam.   Would you?  Put yourself in Pittsburgh's or Indy's position.

Do you give up your 2nd pick for Sam and pay him 30M next year?  There are so many better options available to teams that want a QB and if you specifically want Sam for some dumb reason, just wait for the Jets to cut him and sign him for 10M backup money,

A 6th? Come on man! 

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

I think it's simple.  JD blames Gase, the injuries, the lack of continuity, and himself for not building a better supporting cast.

Fields was passing to a WR and RB that will be drafted in the first 2 rounds.  Sam has had Gore and Berrios as his 2 mainstays all season.  Fields is not winning with Gore and Berrios.

I get that Sam hasn't had Mims for most of the year and that Crowder and Perriman have been hurt. I also don't see the confidence in Sam and he checks down when receivers are open for big gains down the field - even when he has plenty of time to throw. I've always liked Sam, but Fields is more accurate, looks like a better leader, and takes care of the football. The guy is a gamer. He will have a much better cast to play with and the QB clock is reset. He also seems like a better fit with Mims would can catch the long ball.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'll be looking for your reaction on draft night when it sinks into that saltwater-logged pea brain of yours that Darnold is staying.

Are you dense?  I just said that this isnt about Sam because trading the worst QB in the NFL wouldnt be considered "big".

And it's no surprise that you're throwing your support to the worst QB in the NFL, this is what you do.  Nobody loves sh*tty QB's more than you and hates great ones more than you do.  Loved Chad, Sanchez, Geno and now Sam, you sh*t on guys like Watson, Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes.  lmfao. I mean, you're basically the joke of all jokes when it comes to QB's (or any NFL takes for that matter).

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Exactly! Sams going onto his 4th year! I think Sam can be a good QB in this league with the right coaching, I think Fields can be a 21st century QB with his attributes. 
You don’t think Sam was watching that Ohio State vs Clemson game? 
Sam was packing his suitcases ? for his move out of New York for good after the Patriots game!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

I get that Sam hasn't had Mims for most of the year and that Crowder and Perriman have been hurt. I also don't see the confidence in Sam and he checks down when receivers are open for big gains down the field - even when he has plenty of time to throw. I've always liked Sam, but Fields is more accurate, looks like a better leader, and takes care of the football. The guy is a gamer. He will have a much better cast to play with and the QB clock is reset. If Sam doesn't get better we miss out on potentially two great QBs in a year when we wouldn't have to give up picks to get our guy. If we do keep Sam, we should without a doubt trade back though and pick up one of the two receivers to help him out.

That's perfectly reasonable and it's not like I'd be pissed if they took Fields.  It wouldn't exactly be Brady over Sapp.

From all the articles and interviews I've read this year I am just convinced that JD is going to give Sam a final chance.

If they can get another 1st and 2nd next year, and another 2nd and 4th this year to move a few spots down, how do you say no?  You could get Chase or Smith, a blue chip RB prospect, more o-line help, and a CB to pair with Bless, Hall, a returning CJ and Q etc..  This team could turn it around QUICKLY.

If Sam sucks then you'll have 3 first rounders and 2 seconds in 2022 to address the position.  If Sams balls drop - which I fully expect once Gase is gone - the team could be set up for a decade!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Are you dense?  I just said that this isnt about Sam because trading the worst QB in the NFL wouldnt be considered "big".

And it's no surprise that you're throwing your support to the worst QB in the NFL, this is what you do.  Nobody loves sh*tty QB's more than you and hates great ones more than you do.  Loved Chad, Sanchez, Geno and now Sam, you sh*t on guys like Watson, Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes.  lmfao. I mean, you're basically the joke of all jokes when it comes to QB's (or any NFL takes for that matter).

I sht on Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes LOL?  I guess if you're going to make stuff up may as well go big.  Say something like I think Montana is the most overrated QB of all time, I once called Walter Payton no better than Joe Morris, and that despite the career I thought drafting Toon over Rice was the right call.