Schefter- "Jets Joe Douglas expected to execute big trade"

Matt39

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That is interesting because I live in PA and it is 100% true for every steeler fan I know, which is about 70% of the football fans where I live.

I’m telling y’all if I had a dollar for the amount of times I heard/seen typed : “I hope the Jets are dumb enough to keep Darnold” - especially from AFC rival teams. 

so embarrassing 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Fields sits behind the worst qb to play qb in the whole league for the l;ast 3 years...    you like losing, eh?

The Darnold defenders are officially onto the "bargaining" stage of grief. "We understand that Jets need to hedge their bets here but just let him have a few more games until the new guy is ready."

It's like asking the girl who just dumped you "out for a coffee, nothing more, just for closure." We all know what the real motive it. They still hope/believe he will show well enough that the new guy can be traded.

9 hours ago, doitny said:

god why dont some people get that you cant keep Sam if you draft a QB

so under your plan Sam starts for 10 weeks right? what if Sam plays really good, are we going to trade him without knowing what Fields is? and we just wasted the #2 on a QB we didnt need,

you cant strike out on the @2 pick in the draft. whoever it is must be our starter right away. no distractions

If Sam plays well with the better cast, then we have a nice problem.  We pick one and trade the other to NFC West.  But thats not going to happen, Sam is gonna Sam.

The important point is to not rush Fields.  We can start Flacco instead of Sam for all I care.

Fields has only started 1.5 seasons in college about the same as Sanchez. He should be brought along slowly.  

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

If you draft a QB at #2 you can not keep the old starting QB on the roster unless he's the presumed starter going into the season, which Darnold wouldn't be. There is no benefit to having Darnold on the team as a backup and after a year of being on the bench he would not get a good enough contract to figure into a comp pick. Let's say they do trade him for a 4th in 2021 they would also be shedding another $5 million in cap space that could be used to sweeten a deal for a top Guard or WR in FA. There is zero benefit for the Jets to keep Darnold. 

Some good points.  Darnold would have to be pronounced as the starter at the beginning much like Tyrod Taylor was.   Fields has only started 20 games or so, like Sanchez when he came out.  Fields should watch early and learn.  

Your 2nd point about the $5M cap savings - I didn't realize we get $5M cap relief in a trade, I'm not a cap expert.  I thought  Darnold money was fully "cap-itized"  since it's mostly guaranteed.  That changes my opinion - if we can get a 7th from someone dumb enough, pull the trigger.

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

James Morgan is not better than Fields or Wilson. 

Lol maybe he meant Flacco

11 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Some good points.  Darnold would have to be pronounced as the starter at the beginning much like Tyrod Taylor was.   Fields has only started 20 games or so, like Sanchez when he came out.  Fields should watch early and learn.  

Your 2nd point about the $5M cap savings - I didn't realize we get $5M cap relief in a trade, I'm not a cap expert.  That changes my opinion if we can get a trade offer from someone dumb enough, pull the trigger.

If it's sitting and watching Darnold he'll be learning bad habits. This could work if you bring in a professional vet to hold down the fort. Not Flacco, he's nearly done. But a guy like yes Tyrod or even Fitzpatrick. Still think the #2 pick is starting week 1, though. In any case we do need a QB2. The two guys mentioned above would not be the worst options. Prefer Minshew but JAX may just squat on him and his cheap 6th rd rook deal. In fact, if I'm new JAX GM I extend Minshew this off season for respectable backup QB money to smooth over what the last regime put him through.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Fields sits behind the worst qb to play qb in the whole league for the l;ast 3 years...    you like losing, eh?

Rooting for losing wasn't too bad.  My root was rewarded almost every week!

Point is Fields should sit so as not to be "ruined".  Flacco can play.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

If it's sitting and watching Darnold he'll be learning bad habits. This could work if you bring in a professional vet to hold down the fort. Not Flacco, he's nearly done. But a guy like yes Tyrod or even Fitzpatrick.

Fitz ruined Tua!  Pick another guy.  ?

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

If it's sitting and watching Darnold he'll be learning bad habits. This could work if you bring in a professional vet to hold down the fort. Not Flacco, he's nearly done. But a guy like yes Tyrod or even Fitzpatrick. Still think the #2 pick is starting week 1, though. In any case we do need a QB2. The two guys mentioned above would not be the worst options. Prefer Minshew but JAX may just squat on him and his cheap 6th rd rook deal.

Flacco has had a nice career, but he is not better than Fields or Wilson at this point in his career. I know you're joking, but someone might actually believe this. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Flacco has had a nice career, but he is not better than Fields or Wilson at this point in his career. I know you're joking, but someone might actually believe this. 

You're right. Shouldn't assume much these days.

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, dcJet said:

If Sam plays well with the better cast, then we have a nice problem.  We pick one and trade the other to NFC West.  But thats not going to happen, Sam is gonna Sam.

The important point is to not rush Fields.  We can start Flacco instead of Sam for all I care.

Fields has only started 1.5 seasons in college about the same as Sanchez. He should be brought along slowly.  

Nah yo we gots to trade Sam to the Steelers for a 7th

I’m sure that will work out just great

On 1/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, dcJet said:

Fitz ruined Tua!  Pick another guy.  ?

I'm not sure about this.  Maybe Tua ruined Tua?  I saw this post game interview with Fitz and he was saying how he was trying to teach Tua about plays, what he was seeing, why he did what he did on those plays etc.  I think we need a vet that can still play at a high level.