******Official Jets vs Pats gameday Hey Adam dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya thread***** (merged)

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Thoughts? @RedBeardedSavage

He looked like sh*t at the end of the game.

No excuses for that last pick.  

Think about this, though. Let’s say we take Fields, the guy with 2 great wideouts, a good RB and a dominant offensive line in college and trot him out on Sundays. 

You don’t think we ruin him too? The argument for keeping Sam is that the rest of the offense needs to add more talent before we can even talk about developing a quarterback. 

If you take Sewell or Chase, you add a superstar... or maybe trade down and take the volume approach. Either way you’re setting up the guy after Darnold, whomever it is. 

Because right now, the Pats rushed the three, got pressure, and played man coverage because we don’t have anyone that can routinely beat man coverage. 

And yes, Sam played like sh*t in the fourth quarter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Think about this, though. Let’s say we take Fields, the guy with 2 great wideouts, a good RB and a dominant offensive line in college and trot him out on Sundays. 

You don’t think we ruin him too? The argument for keeping Sam is that the rest of the offense needs to add more talent before we can even talk about developing a quarterback. 

If you take Sewell or Chase, you add a superstar... or maybe trade down and take the volume approach. Either way you’re setting up the guy after Darnold, whomever it is. 

Because right now, the Pats rushed the three, got pressure, and played man coverage because we don’t have anyone that can routinely beat man coverage. 

Well this is why I said Draft Fields or Wilson and keep Sam for one more year, but I am concerned about his mentality going forward

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

You're talking like the only pick we have is the #2 pick, and that the only position that's going to change from this season to the next is the QB, with every other starting player being carried over into 2021.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

SAM MUST GO!!!

SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

I have stated all of the reasons why the Jets have a hand in Darnold's POOR PLAY!!!

Nice guy, Good Person, Hard Worker...

However Sam hasn't played well taking into account the poor talent around him!

Unfortunately ........ SAM must GO! :( 

Nice guys finish last especially when they are banging their girlfriends.. Too bad Sam's a good kid I wish him well..

22 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No taking a qb is not going  make it a sb winning team overnight. But sticking with Darnold will set the franchise back 3 more years. 

I never said stick with Sam.  But I would pick a QB late and let the two fight it out for starter.  I’d use the high picks and free agency to build the lines and get some playmakers.  The QB shouldn’t be the first brick in the wall unless you’re giving him something to work with.  

3 years ago, after training camp ended and having won the starting spot, we all thought that this franchise FINALLY landed the right guy. 

Now we’re pressing the re-set button once again. I’m not happy. nobody should be. Ownership picked the wrong coach to make him better, the GM’s including JD I might add, didn’t do enough to put a better OLine and playmakers around him. Lastly, Sam himself just didn’t get any better with the basic fundamentals.

Everyone’s to blame. Now the ball is in ownership’s court once again. Will they finally learn from their past mistakes and get the heck out the way and let the guy they gave a 6 year contract sink or swim?

l’ll have to see it to believe it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Well this is why I said Draft Fields or Wilson and keep Sam for one more year, but I am concerned about his mentality going forward

Trade Darnold for whatever you can get, cut Flacco (who will probably retire anyway) and sign a veteran to hold the fort while you give Fields time to absorb the playbook without the pressure of starting. Mix Fields into the game script after a month or so, and then look to give him half of his rookie season at least if he is showing progress.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

Trade Darnold for whatever you can get, cut Flacco (who will probably retire anyway) and sign a veteran to hold the fort while you give Fields time to absorb the playbook without the pressure of starting. Mix Fields into the game script after a month or so, and then look to give him half of his rookie season at least if he is showing progress.

This might be a prudent way to go because then you are not in a quandary if Sam says plays at a Kirk Cousins level with a new HC....

Just now, jetswinbaby! said:

Can we put this trainwreck of a season in the rear view mirror now?

I hope so...

We're all here having a glass of sparkling wine to not only end the Holiday Season, but our season.  Difficult year not only watching all the losses but also rooting against the team.  Better days ahead, we hope.  But as you know, we've said this many times before.

Best to you and all us on here in 2021.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We can successfully rebuild the team and add talent at premium positions while taking a QB at 2. We have the resources to do that. You don’t have to sacrifice one for the other. I, too, would question if Pat Mahomes could look good in green back in 2017 & then I realized if you are good enough, it will shine thru in some way or another. You always take your swing if you like the guy and worry about building around him with your follow through. You don’t just pass on that.

My concern is that it’s going to be difficult to attract free agents and that anyone we take in the draft will take time to develop.

Granted, since free agency is before the draft, if we were to add some true talent on the line or at receiver, I think taking a quarterback is far more viable @ 2. 

But if that’s not the case, then it’s Fields + rookies + what we got now. That’s what I don’t want to see and think will produce a lot of the same results we see now every week. 

Because let’s be fair here - if it’s another offseason of signing guys like McGovern, Van Roten and Perriman, we’re not getting better anytime soon, even with a different quarterback. 

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

My concern is that it’s going to be difficult to attract free agents and that anyone we take in the draft will take time to develop.

Granted, since free agency is before the draft, if we were to add some true talent on the line or at receiver, I think taking a quarterback is far more viable @ 2. 

But if that’s not the case, then it’s Fields + rookies + what we got now. That’s what I don’t want to see and think will produce a lot of the same results we see now every week. 

Because let’s be fair here - if it’s another offseason of signing guys like McGovern, Van Roten and Perriman, we’re not getting better anytime soon, even with a different quarterback. 

But if you draft Wilson or Fields, you have three years to get things fixed and prove to yourself the you have a QB you can win with going forward. 

Sam is a lame duck QB in year 4 if you don't pick up his 5th year option or extend him. Unfortunately, he hasn't earned either of those things. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

But if you draft Wilson or Fields, you have three years to get things fixed and prove to yourself the you have a QB you can win with going forward. 

Sam is a lame duck QB if you don't pick up his 5th year option or extend him. Unfortunately, he hasn't earned either of those things. 

Lame duck?

More like lame cuck, amirite?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't get that reference because I'm uneducated swine, but because it's you, I'm gonna trust that it's funny and apt

That goes back to me in college English.  Just suffice it to know that one of the Canterbury Tales deals with a character being cuckolded.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sam is a lame duck QB in year 4 if you don't pick up his 5th year option or extend him. Unfortunately, he hasn't earned either of those things. 

The real question here for me is; will there be prospects like Fields, Wilson and Lance every year? 

Mahomes is incredible, but he also landed in the best possible situation. Watson was throwing to D Hop from day 1. 

The last quarterback I remember transcending a situation similar to ours was Andrew Luck. Do you think Fields, Wilson or Lance are on that level? 

And hell, by the time the Colts built a good team around him, he was so beat up and exhausted, he walked away. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

We can successfully rebuild the team and add talent at premium positions while taking a QB at 2. We have the resources to do that. You don’t have to sacrifice one for the other. I, too, would question if Pat Mahomes could look good in green back in 2017 & then I realized if you are good enough, it will shine thru in some way or another. You always take your swing if you like the guy and worry about building around him with your follow through. You don’t just pass on that.

considering the extra 1st and another 3rd, we have more than a complete draft besides 2-OA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t know why people refuse to comprehend that we have plenty of resources to add the pieces we need to build around the QB we select at two. We can easily add a #1 receiver, top guard and a corner just in free agency, as well as a LB. Just in the first round we can add the QB and a top wideout and early in the second a TE or elite RB. That’s plenty to turn the team completely around. The new QB will have plenty of support and talent around him with a MUCH better coach. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The last quarterback I remember transcending a situation similar to ours was Andrew Luck. Do you think Fields, Wilson or Lance are on that level? 

Again, the QB we draft doesn't have to "transcend" anything. 

There is this silly strawman argument floating around on this board that the folks who want to draft a QB expect a savior. I think the vast majority of us are just looking for a guy who can tread water and show some potential while we build a good team around him. I don't think any of us expect the Jets to be 12-4 next year. However, what we expect, is to not have the worst QB in the league after 38 career starts. 

The problem is, in his 3rd season as an NFL starting QB, Sam wasn't able to tread water. He sank and played like the worst QB in the sport. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Again, the QB we draft doesn't have to "transcend" anything. 

There is this silly strawman argument floating around on this board that the folks who want to draft a QB expect a savior. I think the vast majority of us are just looking for a guy who can tread water and show some potential while we build a good team around him. I don't think any of us expect the Jets to be 12-4 next year. However, what we expect, is to not have the worst QB in the league after 38 career starts. 

The problem is, in his 3rd season as an NFL starting QB, Sam wasn't able to tread water. He sank and played like the worst QB in the sport. 

If you're asking a quarterback to just tread water for the next few years, why can't we build out the rest of the roster first and then draft a quarterback?

Neither of us are expecting a quick turnaround, so why not do the goddam job properly - build a situation that realistically can develop a quarterback prospect.

Do you really think there won't be prospects like Fields or Wilson most years going forward?

Bring in a vet for next year if you desperately want a change. I'm cool with that.

But to throw a rookie into this mess is just repeating the same mistake.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This is 2021. Rookie QBs are more prepared for the nfl game than ever before. The learning curve is not what it used to be. Also, having a mobile QB allows you to be more creative with the offensive scheme.  This is the reason mobile QBs like Lamar and Jalen Hurts are successful early. You need a QB in this league to win games. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If you're asking a quarterback to just tread water for the next few years, why can't we build out the rest of the roster first and then draft a quarterback?

Neither of us are expecting a quick turnaround, so why not do the goddam job properly - build a situation that realistically can develop a quarterback prospect.

Because we need a QB and we are picking #2 overall.

We have only picked #2 overall two other times in franchise history. This is golden opportunity to draft a good QB. Your solution is to wait until we are a middling 8 win team with a good roster but no QB? Then what, use more draft capital to trade up for our guy? I just don't get this silly "build the team first, then find a QB" argument. 

Again, QB is part of the team. Finding the right QB is part (actually, the most important part) of doing the "goddam job properly." 

I guess the Jags shouldn't take Trevor, since their team is doodoo? To be safe, I guess no team with fewer than 8 wins should take a QB, otherwise they might not be good enough team to develop him!!!!. So, maybe Trevor drops to the Raiders? Am I doing this right?

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is 2021. Rookie QBs are more prepared for the nfl game than ever before. The learning curve is not what it used to be. Also, having a mobile QB allows you to be more creative with the offensive scheme.  This is the reason mobile QBs like Lamar and Jalen Hurts are successful early. You need a QB in this league to win games. 

Too many of you, IMO, are making it a necessity to take a quarterback this year.

Unless we sign a series of quality, high-priced free agents, this team isn't going to be drastically better next year. Why do we want throw another talented prospect into that mess?

Jalen Hurts has what, one win so far as a starter? How are the Texans and Deshaun Watson doing this year? 

The team around you counts for a lot. There are Fields and Wilson's in the draft every year.