Joe Douglas's first draft after a full year.

Beerfish

1st - Mekhi Becton - Looks just tremendous at times but goes out of at least three games hurt, missed games due to injury.  Already big durability question marks.

2nd - Denzel Mims - Looks okay but no better than a #2 WR when he has played, see Becton re injures.

3rd - Ashtyn Davis - What do you know another guy always hurt, looked good one game and no good his other games.

3rd - Jabari Zuniga - Hurt, and a rep for always being hurt in college, can;t make the roster when healthy then gets his chance and is immediately hurt on the 1st play.

4th - Lamichal Perine - Did I say hurt yet re a jets draft pick?  Looked worse than waiver pick ups like johnson and adams and 80 year old Gore

4th - James Morgan - Awful pick player wise because he can't beat out mike white or Joe Flacco, terrible pick strategy wise because you do not pick backup QBs in the 4th round.

4th  - Cameron Clarke - Hurt....did I say hurt?  then is active like for one game on about the worst oline in the league.

5th - Bryce Hall - Finally a good looking pick, started out...what?  Oh yeah hurt.  But has looked good since getting in and looks like CB #2 material.

6th - Braden Mann - Horrible pick because our incumbent punter thogh not great was at least semi competent.  Mann's one claim to fame is making tackles on guys about to score.  This guy did indeed have a rocket leg in college, what the hell happened?  (I can only guess coaching is a factor here)

Overall it is a lousy first draft after one year.  He made a fair number of bad looking picks and worse yet he left lots of talent on the board when making these bad picks.

He needs to be one hell of a lot better next year and hope many of his iffy picks look much better next year. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thumb Down 11
  • WTF? 4
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

1st - Mekhi Becton - Looks just tremendous at times but goes out of at least three games hurt, missed games due to injury.  Already big durability question marks.

2nd - Denzel Mims - Looks okay but no better than a #2 WR when he has played, see Becton re injures.

3rd - Ashtyn Davis - What do you know another guy always hurt, looked good one game and no good his other games.

3rd - Jabari Zuniga - Hurt, and a rep for always being hurt in college, can;t make the roster when healthy then gets his chance and is immediately hurt on the 1st play.

4th - Lamichal Perine - Did I say hurt yet re a jets draft pick?  Looked worse than waiver pick ups like johnson and adams and 80 year old Gore

4th - James Morgan - Awful pick player wise because he can't beat out mike white or Joe Flacco, terrible pick strategy wise because you do not pick backup QBs in the 4th round.

4th  - Cameron Clarke - Hurt....did I say hurt?  then is active like for one game on about the worst oline in the league.

5th - Bryce Hall - Finally a good looking pick, started out...what?  Oh yeah hurt.  But has looked good since getting in and looks like CB #2 material.

6th - Braden Mann - Horrible pick because our incumbent punter thogh not great was at least semi competent.  Mann's one claim to fame is making tackles on guys about to score.  This guy did indeed have a rocket leg in college, what the hell happened?  (I can only guess coaching is a factor here)

Overall it is a lousy first draft after one year.  He made a fair number of bad looking picks and worse yet he left lots of talent on the board when making these bad picks.

He needs to be one hell of a lot better next year and hope many of his iffy picks look much better next year. 

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

Atrocious 3rd and 4th rounds, absolutely terrible.

I think Davis and Perine can contribute going forward. The Zuniga and Morgan picks were head scratchers then and even more so now. Of all the injuries to me Zuniga is the most concerning. He’s constantly hurt. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Impossible to judge a draft class when a covid pandemic ruined an entire off-season along with 0 preseason games. 

This thread is an awful example of HOT TAKES. 

Nonsense, you just said the whole draft class for every team can not be evaluated,

Also covid had nothing to do with the vast majority of these players and their issues.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Impossible to judge a draft class when a covid pandemic ruined an entire off-season along with 0 preseason games. 

This thread is an awful example of HOT TAKES. 

Except, you know, for the teams had productive drafts this season. His first class to date looks poor. Outside of Becton, they got zero production from 9! picks on a 2 win team. That's hard to do. Becton, playing a position where you expect to pencil in the player and for them to not miss a snap, struggled to stay healthy.

• Post of the Week 1

Yeah, this draft was sneaky bad, at least based on the early returns. The word on Cam Clarke is that he's been healthy but he's looked so bad in practice that they basically redshirted him.

Obviously too early to tell, but I'm leaving the season pretty underwhelmed by this class.

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I think Davis and Perine can contribute going forward. The Zuniga and Morgan picks were head scratchers then and even more so now. Of all the injuries to me Zuniga is the most concerning. He’s constantly hurt. 

Davis is trash. Eric smith minus football IQ

Becton and Adams trade are literally his only good moves.

Robby Anderson, Chase Claypool, Jack Conklin, Leonard Williams - Guys playing incredible football and we either passed on them or didn’t pay up.

That’s how you go 2-14 folks. You get these decisions wrong and it shows on the field. Nothing to inspire confidence. He failed the tank to boot. Shambles.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So let's revisit this for a second.

He took a good LT who likely is the answer at position (and possibly an elite level player), in the 1st Rd, a WR who slots into a #2 WR in the second round, a possible (likely) future starter at CB in the 5th round and question marks elsewhere after 1 year. Those are your assessments mind you.

That's a lousy draft?  If the Becton is a solid LT for 10 years, Mims is a league average starting WR and Hall is a league average CB going forward, those 3 picks alone make it much better than lousy.  

When you blow 5 3rd/4th round picks - you can make the argument 

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So let's revisit this for a second.

He took a good LT who likely is the answer at position (and possibly an elite level player), in the 1st Rd, a WR who slots into a #2 WR in the second round, a possible (likely) future starter at CB in the 5th round and question marks elsewhere after 1 year. Those are your assessments mind you.

That's a lousy draft?  If the Becton is a solid LT for 10 years, Mims is a league average starting WR and Hall is a league average CB going forward, those 3 picks alone make it much better than lousy.  

Mims never plays. Impossible to slot him anywhere moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Becton and Adams trade are literally his only good moves.

Robby Anderson, Chase Claypool, Jack Conklin, Leonard Williams - Guys playing incredible football and we either passed on them or didn’t pay up.

That’s how you go 2-14 folks. You get these decisions wrong and it shows on the field. Nothing to inspire confidence. He failed the tank to boot. Shambles.

Cherry Picking 101, like @joewilly12 at lifeguard training. 

• Upvote 1

His draft sucked and he made the roster MUCH worse but fan boys love Joe D who has done nothing  but same folks loved Mac and Izadick 

lol blaming covid every freaking team had to deal with covid 

Joe gets a F for his season based on actual results 

next he has the chance to show he is not another loser jets gm- plenty of cash and lots of draft capital - if he fails there too fire his ass

parcells took a one year team right away to good team and year two the AFC championship

U are what your record says u r and Joe is GM of a two win season 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cherry Picking 101, like @joewilly12 at lifeguard training. 

Some of us were cherry picking some of these moves without the benefit of hindsight.

Even the moves that looked good at the time are looking bad. He has to be judged on the product on the field and tbe product is as bad as it’s ever been.

The way people fall over to make excuses for this guy is genuinely laughable. I’d say in a few years his name will ring out as Mac’s currently does. Certainly with a few more of these off seasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's almost like there was no real training camp and there were a rash of soft tissue injuries league wide to Rookies all year. No, it must just be the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

What a stupid thread. Evaluating picks after only one season? Dumb. It remains to be seen if the injuries is a sign that all of these players have durability issues. I'm admittedly somewhat skeptical, but to say this is a terrible draft because of injuries alone? There's a few ho him picks in Perine, QB, Zuniga. However, Becton barring catastrophic injury will be starters for this team for years to come. 

All in all, this draft is a 1000 times than any draft Mike Macagnan was involved in.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, QB1 said:

When you blow 5 3rd/4th round picks - you can make the argument 

If you are making determinations of the success of 3rd and 4th round picks based on their production as rookies, you and I probably can't see eye to eye on this subject because our expectations of a 3rd Rd and 4th round pick, especially in their 1st year, are seemingly immensely different.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you are making determinations of the success of 3rd and 4th round picks based on their production as rookies, you and I probably can't see eye to eye on this subject because our expectations of a 3rd Rd and 4th round pick, especially in their 1st year, are seemingly immensely different.

I expect some of these guys to look decent, flash a little talent, they look flat out bad. 

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The bigger point you are missing out on is that besides Zuniga and Hall none of these players ever had any injury concerns until they were drafted by the Jets.

Becton--nope

Mims---nope

Davis--nope. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

The bigger point you are missing out on is that besides Zuniga and Hall none of these players ever had any injury concerns until they were drafted by the Jets.

Becton--nope

Mims---nope

Davis--nope. 

Injuries plagued the whole NFL not just the Jets.. No mini camps,no training camp no preseason games leads to injuries..

• Upvote 2

I'm willing to give this class a pass for this year because of the wonky offseason and because Adam Gase/Loggains/Williams are just a disastrous coaching staff to start your career with but the first year returns were very bad outside of glimmers of hope in Becton and Mims.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1