What Was Darnold's #1 Shortcoming/Flaw?

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In my opinion, which isn't worth a lot, he just never was able to process 2 things.

1. When the play was lost and to just take a sack/or throw away.  He seemed to struggle with this more his first two seasons than this year, but is still an issue.  He just always forced things when it was wise not to be.  There was a quote from Belichick about his punt returner on today's forecast.  He said he's aggressive not reckless.  That's a fine line. Darnold us reckless.

2.  He couldn't process what defenses were trying to do to him coverage-wise.  I think this actually got worse over time.  The 2nd pick today is a great example.  He sees a certain coverage pre-snap and just completely stops processing what's going on and throws directly to someone that should have easily been identified.  I never thought this was a huge issue last year, far more turnovers due to #1, but this year he just has no idea what's happening around him and where the ball should go as a result.

interesting.

not a good processor of information in real time and making real time adjustments.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Bad decision making. He runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, yet he sometimes throws the ball away on 3rd down when a sack is not the end of the world. Takes too many bad sacks. 

His inability to locate open receivers, or targeting the better option. 

He throws too many inexcusable interceptions. His interceptions are not from tipped passes. They are "who the hell were you throwing to?" interceptions.

He almost NEVER pulls someone offsides with a hard count. Has he ever hard counted someone offsides?

to me this says one thing: intelligence.

Just now, southtown24th said:

that's not like a character trait of his game.

that was a direct result of the lack thereof.

He’s gifted athletically. He had a high wonderlic score. IMO, he doesn’t work hard to be the best QB he can be. Oh, he goes through the motions, studies with Chili Palmer (or whatever his name is) and says all the right things, but ultimately he does not have a burning desire to be great. Frankly, I don’t know why more don’t see this. Just look at him during games. He looks like there are other places he’d rather be.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He’s gifted athletically. He had a high wonderlic score. IMO, he doesn’t work hard to be the best QB he can be. Oh, he goes through the motions, studies with Chili Palmer (or whatever his name is) and says all the right things, but ultimately he does not have a burning desire to be great. Frankly, I don’t know why more don’t see this. Just look at him during games. He looks like there are other places he’d rather be.

interesting.

He plays too much hero ball. Needs to understand he isn't in high school or the Pac-12. So many plays where he has an easy completion but looks elsewhere for a bigger play, only to throw a pick or get sacked.

There are other issues, such as his poor footwork and general difficulty reading coverages, but he could be at the very least be a game manager type if he stopped trying to emulate Favre.

1 minute ago, fullblast said:

He plays too much hero ball. Needs to understand he isn't in high school or the Pac-12. So many plays where he has an easy completion but looks elsewhere for a bigger play, only to throw a pick or get sacked.

There are other issues, such as his poor footwork and general difficulty reading coverages, but he could be at the very least a game manager type of he stopped trying to emulate Favre.

interesting

lack of efficacy and efficiency.

His arm for me. Yes his O-Line sucked, but there were so many missed throws by him being too weak and too many times where he was giving easy picks.

Maybe his vision can be filled with that, I watch guys like Jackson and Mahomes and they just know where the pass is, Sam never ever knows.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Love this post, thought I was the only one who noticed this 

35 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I've sort of racked my brain...

I am no peewee football wannabe Belichick rolling around in my team sweatpants all weekend at the local bagel shop on Long Island--you know the type--always has a whistle around the neck.

Tell me: out of ALL of Sam Darnold's flaws, what was his #1 most tragic flaw?

What was Sam Darnold's #1 "achilles heel" in his game?

Sum it up in one sentence of less.  No diatribes.

Met fans