What Was Darnold's #1 Shortcoming/Flaw?

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

I don't think Robby Anderson makes any difference to the Jets record this year.

If your intention is to give Darnold the best chance to succeed and develop, giving him worse weapons is not how you do it. 

If the intention from the beginning was to tank and Douglas never wanted Darnold, than letting Anderson walk makes sense.

Theres really only two options here, and if Darnold is back next year starting than woof.

I mean Douglas himself conceded he handled the anderson situation wrong, but fans still wont admit it.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

If your intention is to give Darnold the best chance to succeed and develop, giving him worse weapons is not how you do it. 

If the intention from the beginning was to tank and Douglas never wanted Darnold, than letting Anderson walk makes sense.

Theres really only two options here, and if Darnold is back next year starting than woof.

I mean Douglas himself conceded he handled the anderson situation wrong, but fans still wont admit it.

LOL

The notion that Robby Anderson is a great loss is not borne out by his stats or the Carolina Panthers record.

I think Darnold WAS hurt by the injuries to the WRs early. But that doesn't excuse not being able to read defenses.

7 minutes ago, phill1c said:

LOL

The notion that Robby Anderson is a great loss is not borne out by his stats or the Carolina Panthers record.

I think Darnold WAS hurt by the injuries to the WRs early. But that doesn't excuse not being able to read defenses.

Anderson was darnolds favorite receiver when he was here. He was the only WR he appeared to have ANY chemistry with. Getting rid of him to replace him with perriman was a massive blunder no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Now Darnold is a bust and should be gone sooner rather than later, but douglas set him up to fail when you're trotting out a 40 year old RB and a draft bust as his new weapons while stripping him of his favorite target. While sitting in a mountain of cap.

Its inexcusable unless Douglas wanted Darnold to fail and the team to tank.

3 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Anderson was darnolds favorite receiver when he was here. He was the only WR he appeared to have ANY chemistry with. Getting rid of him to replace him with perriman was a massive blunder no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Now Darnold is a bust and should be gone sooner rather than later, but douglas set him up to fail when you're trotting out a 40 year old RB and a draft bust as his new weapons while stripping him of his favorite target. While sitting in a mountain of cap.

Its inexcusable unless Douglas wanted Darnold to fail and the team to tank.

He was a bust last year...when Anderson was on the squad.

Joe Flacco made the WRs on the squad dangerous. 

Darnold makes good receivers invisible or hurt.

I mean, he's worst rated starting QB in the league. I don't think the lack of Anderson is really the issue.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I mean, he's worst rated starting QB in the league. I don't think the lack of Anderson is really the issue.

Perriman can do everything Anderson could and at a cheaper cost. The issue is far from missing a guy who could stretch the field. Its finding a qb tgat could use that type if speed work for him. 

8 hours ago, phill1c said:

The notion that Robby Anderson is a great loss

i mighta been his # supporter and even I dont think he was a "great loss" i think he's a solid wr2/3 in the league. and he is pretty consistent.

and durable. Perriman showed that he is a downgrade to RA. all the dummies sayn that BP was "more talented" ..smfh. u guys are maroons.

bugs bunny wwe GIF by Looney Tunes

8 hours ago, phill1c said:

LOL

So have you started trying to frame me again yet?

18 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i mighta been his # supporter and even I dont think he was a "great loss" i think he's a solid wr2/3 in the league. and he is pretty consistent.

and durable. Perriman showed that he is a downgrade to RA. all the dummies sayn that BP was "more talented" ..smfh. u guys are maroons.

bugs bunny wwe GIF by Looney Tunes

I agree to a point. This was a non-standard NFL offseason and Jets camp had virtually ALL of their receivers with hamstrings. That suggests stupid coaching...but yeah, Perriman is not a durable guy I would agree.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:55 PM, Sammybighead said:

Everyone has said it: field vision, reading defense, calm under duress, etc...

He has to know when to take a shot downfield with 1 on 1, when to check down, when to throw it away.

Couple little details that piss me off:

1. His play action fakes fool nobody, work on it for god sakes

2. He bails on a pocket when he should step up into it. This is huge and I see a lot of young qbs do it. You kill half your options when you scramble out of the pocket if you don’t need to.

3. Stop running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage

good list but shusssssh....there are posters here who think Sam is staying.  Are you trying to disillusion them or something?

His 3 biggest flaws from years 1-3:

1. Decision Making. Correction: A lot of his forced throws are a result of confusion with the route combination and how the defense is reacting to it, so he instinctively throws it if he's not able to escape the pocket under pressure. He still keeps his eyes downfield and shows the ability to scan the entire field, but need to techniques that give better "hints" what the defense is calling (motion/PA) and maintain a more simple passing philosophy. Many times we see players commit turnovers because they consistently try to make passes that are of high degrees of difficulty (see Cutler), but Darnold seems to make those throws more often than he should... his turnovers are mainly boneheaded mistakes, misreads, and misjudgements. This is the hardest thing to correct and may never leave (Romo had decision-making issues throughout his career), but mitigation can be accomplished through coaching/scheme/playcalling. 
  2. Footwork. Correction: Coaching. There's only so much time in a day, and Gase prioritized game-planning over mechanics. Next coach should simplify the game-plan on focus on ingraining more consistent mechanics. His footwork and hip rotation have been inconsistent, which has resulted in poorly placed throws. He showed the ability to improve his mechanics throughout his career - his throwing motion has been rebuilt and he showed improvement under Bates in year 1. This is the most correctable. 
  3. Trying to do too much. Correction: Emphasis on taking what the defense gives him. You don't want to remove the off-script plays from his game because it's his greatest skill, but need to better understand the situation. This typically comes with maturation. 
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/3/2021 at 5:48 PM, southtown24th said:

I've sort of racked my brain...

I am no peewee football wannabe Belichick rolling around in my team sweatpants all weekend at the local bagel shop on Long Island--you know the type--always has a whistle around the neck.

Tell me: out of ALL of Sam Darnold's flaws, what was his #1 most tragic flaw?

What was Sam Darnold's #1 "achilles heel" in his game?

Sum it up in one sentence of less.  No diatribes.

Trying to hard to make something happen in garbage time and making stupid throws, hoping they work.

To be great you need to be driven at a level that borders on insanity.  Darnold is a nice guy who's been talented enough to succeed at every level until now.  

The QB is like a pitcher.  He controls the game.  There are tons of guys in minor league ball who threw 1 and 2 hitters from little league until they reached the minors.  When he gets to double A, the guys who got the one hit against them coming up are all on the other teams.   Darnold has hit his potential without a serious change in his mental makeup and attitude.   It's the brain that separates the great NFL QB's from everyone else.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I'd say very poor at how he read defenses (teams that changed up blitzes or identifying DB threats) and very poor, sloppy mechanics.  Palmer tried to change that up but it didn't seem to help that much.  Also he tried way to much "hero ball" that neutralized any good the defense might have done and contentiously  turned the ball over.  Sam still could have probably been a functional QB if he'd have gotten somebody who knew how to use him correctly and cover his weaknesses.  But I don't think he would have had a high ceiling. 

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

To be great you need to be driven at a level that borders on insanity.  Darnold is a nice guy who's been talented enough to succeed at every level until now.  

The QB is like a pitcher.  He controls the game.  There are tons of guys in minor league ball who threw 1 and 2 hitters from little league until they reached the minors.  When he gets to double A, the guys who got the one hit against them coming up are all on the other teams.   Darnold has hit his potential without a serious change in his mental makeup and attitude.   It's the brain that separates the great NFL QB's from everyone else.

Totally, agree. People don't really understand how exceptionally skilled ALL pro athletes are. Most only ever see them from a distance competing against other people at their level so we don't get to dully appreciate how freaky athletic they are as compared to even the best athlete most of us went to high school or college with. And while the athletic skill gets them identified as prospects, it is the mental makeup that determines their level of success. Most have a burning desire to succeed and will do anything to get there. Diet, exercise, drills and film study are not part of the job, it is a way of life. 

Darnold reminds me of a story I heard about an NBA player who was taken 2d or 3d in the NBA draft a while back who washed out of the NBA very quickly. Looking back on it the GM who selected the player said up until the NBA draft the player simply had to roll out of bed and was the best player on the court. When the day arrived that he had to do more than just attend practice to become a better player, he was unable to do so. He said it was not meant as a knock against the guy because he was a good guy, but it just was not in his mental makeup to dedicate himself to becoming a great basketball player. Ultimately, being the best basketball player he could possibly be was just not a top priority for the player.  It was more like 4th or 5th on his list.

While I think Darnold wants to be a great QB, he got to be the 3d pick in the whole draft just being Sam Darnold, an athlete who goes through the motions at practice with a freaky good knack for making plays after a play has broken down. Once that all became not enough for him to succeed, he didn't know how to respond on the field. After all, he is still doing all the things he did to succeed up to this point. He puts in the "time" required by his coaches and he even trains with Chili Palmer. But, ultimately, it all about going through the motions rather than "living" to be a great QB.   

The best thing for Sam is to be traded and feel like he failed. It will be a gut check moment for him when he will finally decide if what he has already accomplished is enough or if he wants to truly dedicate himself to his craft and at least put in the full 100% effort of "living" to be a great QB.

• Upvote 2

On 1/3/2021 at 8:33 PM, 56mehl56 said:

Perriman can do everything Anderson could and at a cheaper cost. The issue is far from missing a guy who could stretch the field. Its finding a qb tgat could use that type if speed work for him. 

Perriman was a bust ever since he entered the league.

It's his body, too, not just his brain. I thought he would be athletic. He is incredibly lethargic, I thought it was the mono at the beginning, but he is just a clutzy type. I watch Bridgwater with his reconsturcuted knee, flying around and old Fitzy giving up his body, and Sam is incredibly slow moving  for a guy that should be a physical specimen.  He had this one good run for  TD many weeks ago, even put on a juke move... but most of the time, he is molasses in his movements.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, phill1c said:

JD has got to recognize that  Sam is a major factor in the poor performance of the offense.  There is no button  that is going to make Sam that much better in 2021.  You have to remember defenses have picked up on his tendencies after 3 years.  Have you seen  any development in his game were he has improved since his first year?  He is not listening to what he is being told by his coaches.  He tells you he is going to fix it but he doesn't.  The pattern will go on and on if you let it. 

darnold's biggest flaw is indecision.  i'd be willing to bet that most of the qb's throw to the guy the play is designed for.  i'm not so sure they keep looking around for a better option.  darnold seems to sit back waiting for his receiver to break free when he should just be throwing to the spot where the receiver will be.  the plays should be designed to get the primary receiver free.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:22 PM, David Harris said:

Sam looked alright when he had an actual NFL receiver in Robbie Anderson. Outside of him Sam never had a quality wideout.

He's been a bottom 3 QB each of his 3 seasons in the NFL.  Meanwhile, Anderson is having by far his best season in the league post-Darnold.  Anderson getting away from Darnold was the best thing to happen to his career.

Just stop it with this weppinz nonsense.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Yep.  Just like coaches who get promoted from coordinator to HC but suck in the latter role succumb to peter principle, some guys just aren't pro QB's.

It just goes to show how difficult it is to evaluate whether these kids can project to the pro level and how many traits are needed to succeed. 

It also demonstrates why its so important to move on quickly when one fails, then keep drafting a QB every chance you can until you find one.  A lesson the Jets just never seem to learn.  Hopefully this time will be different.

On 1/3/2021 at 5:48 PM, southtown24th said:

I've sort of racked my brain...

I am no peewee football wannabe Belichick rolling around in my team sweatpants all weekend at the local bagel shop on Long Island--you know the type--always has a whistle around the neck.

Tell me: out of ALL of Sam Darnold's flaws, what was his #1 most tragic flaw?

What was Sam Darnold's #1 "achilles heel" in his game?

Sum it up in one sentence of less.  No diatribes.

He don't really wanna play football all the time.  Same as Sanchez.  Both of them have tools.  Neither one of them is fanatical about playing the game.  Comes game day, their head is somewhere on a CA beach.   Sam was jacked up to play well for two games this year.  Just long enough to show Jets fans that he has value too while we were all salivating over Trevor Lawrence.

He turned up the juice just long enough to stick his middle finger up nice and proud.  

Now he's back to California dreaming and TL is on the way to Jacksonville 

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

a freaky good knack for making plays after a play has broken down.

I wouldn't agree. He's not very good AT ALL for making plays after a play has broken down.

• He takes unnecessary sacks (that's just after the play has broken down).
  • He often throws when he should run and runs when he should throw.
  • And he's inaccurate: I saw a couple of throws where, unpressured, he just threw high and wide.