Fix the Jets

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Translation: I don't know football.

I know Pro football better than most here, as history more than proves.  I don;t know minor league football, no, admittedly.

Unlike most here, I admit when there is something I do not know.  

You seem VERY defensive for simply being asked a few basic questions, mate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Its OVER. Thank heavens.  Time to move forward. Its not a quick fix but this coming year is vital for JD to cement his legacy as Jets GM.

1st - Hire Matt Campbell.  Make him an offer he cant refuse. He is the man needed to change the culture around here.  

2nd - Trade Darnold.  He's done and if you saw him on SNY after today's game, he even knows it.

3rd -Draft a QB @ 2.  Fields proved he's worthy. You don't get cute by trading down or stick with Darnold.  

4th - Get a damn lock down CB and edge rusher for the defense.   Edge: Judon,, Dupree, Barrett, Reddick   CB: This one is difficult. No top CB's entering FA. We need to also get a young guy on the rise.  Resign Poole and hopefully JD can trade for a corner or you savants may know of a FA CB. 

5th - Sign Allen Robinson WR.  This is a must.  Vet WR for Fields, takes pressure off Mims. 

6th - Sign Thuney. Draft a Center and move McGovern over to guard.  Improves OL. drastically.  Draft a RT and G later in draft. Its a deep draft for OL.   

7h - Draft a CB and an edge with 26 and 33. Yea yea offense offense offense. BUT the defense desperately needs help.  Two good pass rushers and two good CB's makes QW and the DL that more effective.  

8th - Draft a bull RB like Sermon. We have Ty Johnson who looks explosive. We need a bulldozer.

9 - Draft a blazer like Robbie to open things up: Schwatrz. this kid has world class speed. Is raw but he is a weapon.  

Add to the list

mostly agree.  i think the whole darnold situation is still a little in doubt because they can parlay the second pick for more good picks. of course they can also trade darnold for some picks. if they decide to keep darnold they should also bring in a guy like winston or mariota and have a true qb competition.  not sure if they should draft a "blazer" if they pick up robinson or shuster-smith.  at least not this year.  offense is the big issue because scoring about 17 ppg just isn't going to cut it. 

the thing is they don't need a whole lot of impact players to make this team work.  get the oline straightened out so they can run and pass block.  get receivers and other players that can stay on the field.  get better qb play and this team can be good.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

mostly agree.  i think the whole darnold situation is still a little in doubt because they can parlay the second pick for more good picks. of course they can also trade darnold for some picks. if they decide to keep darnold they should also bring in a guy like winston or mariota and have a true qb competition.  not sure if they should draft a "blazer" if they pick up robinson or shuster-smith.  at least not this year.  offense is the big issue because scoring about 17 ppg just isn't going to cut it. 

the thing is they don't need a whole lot of impact players to make this team work.  get the oline straightened out so they can run and pass block.  get receivers and other players that can stay on the field.  get better qb play and this team can be good.

Keeping Darnold IMO is a mistake.  He's better off going elsewhere. Get a #2 or #3 and dont look back.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I know Pro football better than most here, as history more than proves.  I don;t know minor league football, no, admittedly.

Love ya war but 80% of people say they’re above-average drivers, too :D 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

If we are getting Fields, #26 and #34 better be offense. 

If we are not getting Fields, #26 and #34 still better be offense. 

And #2 better be offense too. It’s that simple. 

Our defense was next to last in every stat. Our secondary is atrocious.  A CB and edge at the top of the draft improves the D tremendously.  JD used 2 of teh top picks on offense and will use a top  pick on QB. There has to be some balance and address the greater needs.

1 hour ago, mrmajix said:

I like the plan but somehow I believe as obvious as some of these moves seem to be, JD is too conservative and we'll be disappointed again with what he'll end up doing. 

Maybe maybe not. JD in his first year didn't want to spend much due to extenuating circumstances.  Now is the time to strike.  He has to get some prime talent in here. The money is there. There's just no excuse.  Get the right HC in here, sign 3-4 top FA's @ CB, Edge, WR, G and we can turn this around.  

JD going all in this off season to build around his guy. Congratulations to him for resisting the urge to prop up Darnold with a FA spendapalooza. With the amount of defenders Sam has here even now can you imagine how difficult it would be to move on if he put up 3,000 yards, 15TDs, 18 picks or something en route to a 6 win season?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Our defense was next to last in every stat. Our secondary is atrocious.  A CB and edge at the top of the draft improves the D tremendously.  JD used 2 of teh top picks on offense and will use a top  pick on QB. There has to be some balance and address the greater needs.

Our defense suffered cuz offense couldn’t move the ball. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Defensive? No. Minor league football?  You mean like where 99% of all NFL players come from. And you know nothing about them or the HC's that coach them?  

• WTF? 1

My plan would be hire the most experienced HC. So give Cowher a call,  check in on Harbaugh, etc. For me Matt Campbell is much farther down the list.

Hold on to Sammy

Trade DOWN from 2 and pick up a kings ransom. The Jets have a lot of holes and apparently this is a good draft rich with talented players. 

Utilize FA only for like one starter and utilize FA for a few depth players. Roll the unused cap space into next year.

Draft an OL. Maybe a Tackle in the late 1st? Maybe Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round? Or both?

Should draft a QB to compete with Sammy. I still believe in Sammy but I'm not going to give him the job. He has to prove it. 

Draft a running back. This is just as important as fixing the OL. It's one thing to protect the QB, but creating a productive running game helps the QB infinitely more.

Just now, NYJ1 said:

My plan would be hire the most experienced HC. So give Cowher a call,  check in on Harbaugh, etc. For me Matt Campbell is much farther down the list.

Hold on to Sammy

Trade DOWN from 2 and pick up a kings ransom. The Jets have a lot of holes and apparently this is a good draft rich with talented players. 

Utilize FA only for like one starter and utilize FA for a few depth players. Roll the unused cap space into next year.

Draft an OL. Maybe a Tackle in the late 1st? Maybe Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round? Or both?

Should draft a QB to compete with Sammy. I still believe in Sammy but I'm not going to give him the job. He has to prove it. 

Draft a running back. This is just as important as fixing the OL. It's one thing to protect the QB, but creating a productive running game helps the QB infinitely more.

He has to do much more than prove it. First he has to unprove that he sucks.

• Haha 1

WAAAAAAAAAAY too much focus on D by the OP.

It's like some of you aren't actually watching the NFl.  It absolutely amazes me people can be on this board, start threads (which I have to believe means they watch the league) and have been Jet fans...

And still want to draft a QB at #2 and then draft defense with our next two picks...

I just can't take it anymore!

Its OVER. Thank heavens.  Time to move forward. Its not a quick fix but this coming year is vital for JD to cement his legacy as Jets GM.

1st - Hire Matt Campbell.  Make him an offer he cant refuse. He is the man needed to change the culture around here.  

2nd - Trade Darnold.  He's done and if you saw him on SNY after today's game, he even knows it.

3rd -Draft a QB @ 2.  Fields proved he's worthy. You don't get cute by trading down or stick with Darnold.  

4th - Get a damn lock down CB and edge rusher for the defense.   Edge: Judon,, Dupree, Barrett, Reddick   CB: This one is difficult. No top CB's entering FA. We need to also get a young guy on the rise.  Resign Poole and hopefully JD can trade for a corner or you savants may know of a FA CB. 

5th - Sign Allen Robinson WR.  This is a must.  Vet WR for Fields, takes pressure off Mims. 

6th - Sign Thuney. Draft a Center and move McGovern over to guard.  Improves OL. drastically.  Draft a RT and G later in draft. Its a deep draft for OL.   

7h - Draft a CB and an edge with 26 and 33. Yea yea offense offense offense. BUT the defense desperately needs help.  Two good pass rushers and two good CB's makes QW and the DL that more effective.  

8th - Draft a bull RB like Sermon. We have Ty Johnson who looks explosive. We need a bulldozer.

9 - Draft a blazer like Robbie to open things up: Schwatrz. this kid has world class speed. Is raw but he is a weapon.  

Add to the list

To be fair this is a better plan than what we have had for a while and although I disagree on best way to fix the jets the truth is you can do it a bunch of different ways ...  But having a long term plan is key

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

WAAAAAAAAAAY too much focus on D by the OP.

It's like some of you aren't actually watching the NFl.  It absolutely amazes me people can be on this board, start threads (which I have to believe means they watch the league) and have been Jet fans...

And still want to draft a QB at #2 and then draft defense with our next two picks...

I just can't take it anymore!

Fi relax. Who would you take at 27 and 33?  There's legit reasons I would go edge/CB there.

Add to the list

1 thing I'll add. Try as hard as hell to pry Kittle away from the 49ers.  They don't want to pay him and the Jets have the money and picks to do it.  Adding him would completely remake this offense even without adding Robinson. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Fi relax. Who would you take at 27 and 33?  There's legit reasons I would go edge/CB there.

No there aren't legit reasons to do that.  If you draft a QB you do EVERYTHING you can to support said QB.

EVERYTHING you do must start and finish with - does it help our new QB.  If the answer is no then you don't do it.

I would take the highest ranked offensive player on the board.  I simply wouldn't have defense on my board in the first 3 rounds...

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

To be fair this is a better plan than what we have had for a while and although I disagree on best way to fix the jets the truth is you can do it a bunch of different ways ...  But having a long term plan is key

Definitely! There is no quick fix here.  We need a new HC to be a leader of men.  Campbell - Check.  We need a FQB that can throw a ball over 50 yards.  Fields - Check. We need a GM that knows how to draft past the 2nd round.  JD? Unknown.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RJIII said:

I'd like to have Matt Campbell as well. If we are lucky enough to pull him from Iowa State, you guys better start getting use to major TE involvement. I haven't seen one post about multiple TE which tells me you don't enough about Matt Campbell and his offensive scheme. He will have 3-4 TE on this team. 11, 12, 13 pr, often.

Yep.  Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett or another tight end moves to the top of the free agent list.  Pitts would be perfect, being so athletic, and a little taller.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No there aren't legit reasons to do that.  If you draft a QB you do EVERYTHING you can to support said QB.

EVERYTHING you do must start and finish with - does it help our new QB.  If the answer is no then you don't do it.

I would take the highest ranked offensive player on the board.  I simply wouldn't have defense on my board in the first 3 rounds...

Highest rated offensive player? Like who? A rookie WR? We have one.  A RB? Many on this board would fry you picking a RB so high especially with the depleted roster we have. A Guard/Center/tackle? This draft is stupid deep in OL.  It can wait.  Edge and CB totally fall off the cliff mid way into the 2nd round. You get a VETERAN WR on this team to help out Fields and in turn it helps out Mims.  Our secondary SUCKS!!!!!! We need a CB and a good one. You can only get so many FA's and there are no FA CB's worth getting next season.

Get respectable so we can get free agents.

Players loved coming to Jets when we had Rex and a team.  Now, not only does no one come here, but they mock us. 

"That ain't enough to come run with the Jets"   -  Le'Veon sh*thead

And I'm positive other players feel the same way, which is why no one ever comes here (unless their smokin hot wife gets a job in the city).

Fix that somehow.

7 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Highest rated offensive player? Like who? A rookie WR? We have one.  A RB? Many on this board would fry you picking a RB so high especially with the depleted roster we have. A Guard/Center/tackle? This draft is stupid deep in OL.  It can wait.  Edge and CB totally fall off the cliff mid way into the 2nd round. You get a VETERAN WR on this team to help out Fields and in turn it helps out Mims.  Our secondary SUCKS!!!!!! We need a CB and a good one. You can only get so many FA's and there are no FA CB's worth getting next season.

Nope.  You take the best offensive player on the board.   PERIOD.

Anything else would be complete and utter incompetence!  JD should be fired on the spot if he did that.

I am honestly, well I shouldn't be, but still am amazed that you watch the NFL week in and week out and still think it makes sense to draft a QB #2 overall and then go and use your next two picks, when you have close to nothing on offense, on defense.

There is really no excuse for that...NONE.

10 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I would also assume you're one of the many here that couldn't wait to jettison one of the leagues best pass rushers and now want to use those picks to draft a potential pass rushers?

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I would also assume you're one of the many here that couldn't wait to jettison one of the leagues best pass rushers and now want to use those picks to draft a potential pass rushers?

You still haven't said who you'd take? And that 'best pass rusher' got us 2#1 picks and was a huge liability in pass coverage and a pain in the ass, jive ass narcissistic wannabe promo queen.