I'm not willing to start over with a new rookie quarterback

Alka

This is what I want to do:

1. Bring back Darnold.   Sign Mariotta or Minshaw and allow Morgan to all fight for the starting QB position.

2. Sign Thuney in free agency, and draft Sewell at #2.

3. Sign a top notch wide receiver in free agency.

4. Draft an edge pass rusher with our second #1 pick.

5. Draft a CB with our top of the second round pick.

Now, you have Becton, Sewell, Thuney on the offensive line.

You have a competition at the QB position.

You have now got a pass rusher and CB in the top 34 picks.

You got a top wide receiver in free agency to play opposite Mims.  Resign Perriman to a 1 year deal.  You have Crowder as your 4th receiver.

Mosely, Basham, Hewitt as your linebackers, plus your edge pass rusher from the 1st round.  

Resign Marcus Maye at safety.  You have a CB with the 2nd pick of the second round, and you have a couple of CB's that are on the team that can compete for starting jobs.

If we start over with a new QB with the second pick of the draft, it is another crapshoot where there is no guarantee.

I stated the obvious last year, and said that our GM should ignore getting a wide receiver at #11 and get a offensive tackle.

I am stating the obvious again this year.  I believe what should happen and what will happen is that Darnold will be back, only with competition.

This to me is a no-brainer.  Perhaps I am really smart, or perhaps I am really stupid.  But I am confident in what Joe will do, even if he hasn't yet come to this decision yet.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 23
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

If we start over with a new QB with the second pick of the draft, it is another crapshoot where there is no guarantee.

Oh no! Another crapshoot!?!?!? What ever will we do?

Here is what is guaranteed: Sam Darnold s*cks as an NFL QB.  

Here is what is not guaranteed: Maybe Justin Fields will suck as an NFL QB and maybe he won't. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Looks like Darnold played himself off the team today...it's that simple.

I realize that as fans, we like to believe that it's that simple, but to me it is quite complicated.

By bringing back Darnold, I'm not guaranteeing him the QB job.  But by bringing him back with legitimate competition, I'm guaranteeing that I'm giving the Jets and Darnold the opportunity to see if Darnold's lack of success was as a result of coaching, offensive line, lack of surrounding talent, etc..

Also, by picking a no-brainer in Sewell, I'm ensuring that the Jets will be fairly set on the O line for the next decade. 

This is not simple, and as the options are analyzed, I believe that this is what the Jets will do.

Sam is 23 years old, and anyone other than the #1 QB in the draft is not a guarantee.  Sewell is a guarantee.  Other QB's in free agency can be brought in to vie for the starting job.

This is the smart move.

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You may not want to but I'm now 100% convinced that JD wants to start all over and with his QB pick of the future too. 

Isn’t that what we all would do if we were GM? A team with extra premium picks the next two years, huge cap space. You add a high end rookie QB and that means even more flexibility the next 4 years.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

Bring back Darnold.

I stopped reading here.

I am a big fan of Darnold. I wanted him to win in NY, and I want to see him do well on his next team. Darnold's ship has sailed and it's time to cut our losses. Three full seasons of the same bad decision making and time missed for injury. It would have been silly to give up on him after two seasons, but three strikes and you're out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, pointman said:

If Joe Douglas trades away our #2 pick and Sam is still garbage, he is signing his own death warrant. He can't be that confident in Sam. No one is. Shoot, I bet Sam isn't even that sure he can be better than the sloppy sheet we witnessed. 

Its possible with the relationship with Sexton, that Darnold and Douglas are a packaged deal. That's the only thing that would keep him as a starter. I'd hate that to be the case, but it's certainly possible. From a winning football games standpoint, there is no reason for Darnold to be starting for the Jets. He is awful and the worst starting QB in the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, jgb said:

My favorite “plan” is trade down this year to trade up next year for a QB if Sam stinks again.

There is at least one dude on here that thinks thats a smart plan. LOL. Amazing. 'lets roll the dice with Sam, if he is bad we can take our like 8th overall pick and choose whatever leftover garbage qb is available that isn't as good as Fields/Wilson and win maybe.' wtf.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alka said:

By bringing back Darnold, I'm not guaranteeing him the QB job.  But by bringing him back with legitimate competition, I'm guaranteeing that I'm giving the Jets and Darnold the opportunity to see if Darnold's lack of success was as a result of coaching, offensive line, lack of surrounding talent, etc..

Are you picking up his option? It has to be picked up before he plays another snap. If not, and let's say he turns it around...you're immediately handing a huge multi-year contract that could be Carson Wentz-esque. He would need an Allen like season to make that risk worth it so most likely, you've just pushed off having to develop a new QB by a year. 

Also, after 3 years of ineptitude, the likelihood of him turning it around is so low.. there's a better chance Morgan turns out to be a Franchise QB over Darnold. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, pointman said:

Noted.

So, you think my opinion is so awful that this thread should be banned.  

I am very thankful that Joe Douglas doesn't have to listen to the fans for advice.  Thank goodness for that!  We will see what Joe will do, and then you can criticize me for what you think is my ridiculous opinion.  I'm sure your opinions are all wonderful.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh no! Another crapshoot!?!?!? What ever will we do?

Here is what is guaranteed: Sam Darnold s*cks as an NFL QB.  

Here is what is not guaranteed: Maybe Justin Fields will suck as an NFL QB and maybe he won't. 

That’s where you are wrong because Fields is guaranteed to suck in the NFL. On the other hand Wilson can and will be great.

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

There is at least one dude on here that thinks thats a smart plan. LOL. Amazing. 'lets roll the dice with Sam, if he is bad we can take our like 8th overall pick and choose whatever leftover garbage qb is available that isn't as good as Fields/Wilson and win maybe.' wtf.

It’s a results-based analysis. “What possible scenario keeps my boy Sam on this team?”

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Its possible with the relationship with Sexton, that Darnold and Douglas are a packaged deal. That's the only thing that would keep him as a starter. I'd hate that to be the case, but it's certainly possible. From a winning football games standpoint, there is no reason for Darnold to be starting for the Jets. He is awful and the worst starting QB in the NFL.

I don’t get what them sharing an agent has to do with anything. Won’t the agent do what’s best for his client? 

You make it sound like nobody in this league share the same agent. That doesn’t attach them to the hip. 

• Upvote 1