I'm not willing to start over with a new rookie quarterback

Alka

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

That’s where you are wrong because Fields is guaranteed to suck in the NFL. On the other hand Wilson can and will be great.

The last two highly-touted QBs I felt were guaranteed to suck were Geno and Rosen. Just not getting that vibe from Fields. But I also thought Darnold would be good so my record ain’t too hot!

• Haha 1

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

I don’t get what them sharing an agent has to do with anything. Won’t the agent do what’s best for his client? 

You make it sound like nobody in this league share the same agent. That doesn’t attach them to the hip. 

Im saying there are agencies that are able to take advantage of bad ownership. CAA is certainly one of them. I hope it's not the case, but Darnold isnt starting anywhere else...and there seems to be a growing narrative that Darnold should be brought back. From a football standpoint, there is no reason he should be the Jets QB next season. There would be no other reason than the conflict of interest with the agent/player.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

I realize that as fans, we like to believe that it's that simple, but to me it is quite complicated.

By bringing back Darnold, I'm not guaranteeing him the QB job.  But by bringing him back with legitimate competition, I'm guaranteeing that I'm giving the Jets and Darnold the opportunity to see if Darnold's lack of success was as a result of coaching, offensive line, lack of surrounding talent, etc..

Also, by picking a no-brainer in Sewell, I'm ensuring that the Jets will be fairly set on the O line for the next decade. 

This is not simple, and as the options are analyzed, I believe that this is what the Jets will do.

Sam is 23 years old, and anyone other than the #1 QB in the draft is not a guarantee.  Sewell is a guarantee.  Other QB's in free agency can be brought in to vie for the starting job.

This is the smart move.

Sam has shown he is not very good. Its been years. He has not progressed. His numbers have never been good.

No one is a guarantee. Sewell included. Trevor Lawrence included too. Because "experts" call for their busts in Canton prior to one real snap, doesn't mean you should drink the Kool-Aid. ™

There is no qb in free agency that will be what we need.. a knock down, killer who will lead us to the Promised Land. There are reasons a QB becomes a free agent, and none of them are good. 

We have a LT. 

The smart move is taking the second best pick in the draft and picking the best available option at the most important position. 

Period. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is what I want to do:

1. Bring back Darnold.   Sign Mariotta or Minshaw and allow Morgan to all fight for the starting QB position.

Neither Mariota nor Minshew are available. Mariota signed a multi year contract with LV, Minshew is still on his rookie deal with the Jags.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@Alka

My advice to you is pick a new team. 

Never!!  I was at the AFC Championship game in Shea Stadium in 1969 rooting for my Jets and never looked back.  

I don't try to tell other Jets fans what to think, and I don't tell other Jets fans what to do.

I guess you're better than that.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Its possible with the relationship with Sexton, that Darnold and Douglas are a packaged deal. That's the only thing that would keep him as a starter. I'd hate that to be the case, but it's certainly possible. From a winning football games standpoint, there is no reason for Darnold to be starting for the Jets. He is awful and the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Douglas didn't bring in Sam. I doubt anything ties their careers together, outside of a conspiracy theory rivaling that of Georges St. Pierre thinking he "lost time" because he was abducted by aliens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alka said:

Never!!  I was at the AFC Championship game in Shea Stadium in 1969 rooting for my Jets and never looked back.  

I don't try to tell other Jets fans what to think, and I don't tell other Jets fans what to do.

I guess you're better than that.

You said it not me  I'm not willing to start over with a new rookie quarterback

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

So, you think my opinion is so awful that this thread should be banned.  

I am very thankful that Joe Douglas doesn't have to listen to the fans for advice.  Thank goodness for that!  We will see what Joe will do, and then you can criticize me for what you think is my ridiculous opinion.  I'm sure your opinions are all wonderful.

bill murray yes GIF

agencylife advertisement GIF by MX Player

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

Douglas didn't bring in Sam. I doubt anything ties their careers together, outside of a conspiracy theory rivaling that of Georges St. Pierre thinking he "lost time" because he was abducted by aliens. 

Sharing an agent is a conspiracy? 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I legitimately will not watch games next year if Darnold is back as the starter. 

This is so simple; there is a top tier QB prospect available at 2 and we are in desperate need of a QB. Do not **** this up.

Me neither. As it is this year I watched one half of one game live.

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

So, you think my opinion is so awful that this thread should be banned.  

I am very thankful that Joe Douglas doesn't have to listen to the fans for advice.  Thank goodness for that!  We will see what Joe will do, and then you can criticize me for what you think is my ridiculous opinion.  I'm sure your opinions are all wonderful.

Did you not watch Sam Darnold this season and last season and the season before that he sucks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Sharing an agent is a conspiracy? 

No. But believing that sharing an agent in an industry where there are a finite amount of options at this tier, means that two individuals who are working to look out for their own careers would perhaps mean that one would risk their own neck when its an obviously terrible choice.. that is a conspiracy, for a lack of a better word. 

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think Darnold is gone but I an sure identify  with the op re not having to live with a rookie QB. A Phillip rivers type of guy for a year with a rookie on the bench would be nice.

There's never been an easier transition from college to the pros. Herbert threw for 4000 yards, 28 TD and 10 INT and had what, two weeks on the pine? Burrow looked really good before his ACL snapped. Hurts looks promising. The idea you have to sit and learn is an antiquated one.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Im saying there are agencies that are able to take advantage of bad ownership. CAA is certainly one of them. I hope it's not the case, but Darnold isnt starting anywhere else...and there seems to be a growing narrative that Darnold should be brought back. From a football standpoint, there is no reason he should be the Jets QB next season. There would be no other reason than the conflict of interest with the agent/player.

You could be right and I am personally very worried that the Jets are going to find a way to rationalize bringing Sam back, but that narrative is going to take a hit if Fields plays well against Alabama. 

Also, I still think it's likely that the new coach will want to draft his own guy. Burdening your new hire with a 4th year reclamation project QB is just a terrible, clumsy idea and my hope is that the Jets realize this when they start to seriously consider what to do. 

Lastly, even if JD loves Darnold, he has to realize that the best thing for HIM is to draft a QB at #2 overall and move on from Sam. If he drafts a QB, he buys himself a minimum of 2 years (probably even 3) to get things pointed in the right direction. It gives the fanbase hope and it resets expectations while also resetting the clock on the QB rookie contract. Meanwhile, if he brings Sam back next year, there will be a tremendous amount of pressure for Sam to play well right away. If Darnold sucks again next year, Douglas is in deep sh*t - especially if Fields or Wilson have good rookie years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Alka said:

If we start over with a new QB with the second pick of the draft, it is another crapshoot where there is no guarantee.

You are right in one sense. If the Jets follow your plan, there will be a guarantee. You’re guaranteed to have another year of terrible quarterbacking. 

What, you think the thing holding Darnold back is a lack of competition? Please. The shadow of Trevor Lawrence has served as competition to him most of the year and how did he respond?

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is what I want to do:

1. Bring back Darnold.   Sign Mariotta or Minshaw and allow Morgan to all fight for the starting QB position.

2. Sign Thuney in free agency, and draft Sewell at #2.

3. Sign a top notch wide receiver in free agency.

4. Draft an edge pass rusher with our second #1 pick.

5. Draft a CB with our top of the second round pick.

Now, you have Becton, Sewell, Thuney on the offensive line.

You have a competition at the QB position.

You have now got a pass rusher and CB in the top 34 picks.

You got a top wide receiver in free agency to play opposite Mims.  Resign Perriman to a 1 year deal.  You have Crowder as your 4th receiver.

Mosely, Basham, Hewitt as your linebackers, plus your edge pass rusher from the 1st round.  

Resign Marcus Maye at safety.  You have a CB with the 2nd pick of the second round, and you have a couple of CB's that are on the team that can compete for starting jobs.

If we start over with a new QB with the second pick of the draft, it is another crapshoot where there is no guarantee.

I stated the obvious last year, and said that our GM should ignore getting a wide receiver at #11 and get a offensive tackle.

I am stating the obvious again this year.  I believe what should happen and what will happen is that Darnold will be back, only with competition.

This to me is a no-brainer.  Perhaps I am really smart, or perhaps I am really stupid.  But I am confident in what Joe will do, even if he hasn't yet come to this decision yet.

puke GIF

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1