Darnold Made JD's Decision Much Easier Today

4 hours ago, football guy said:

If Sam stays, look for the team to sign him to a "3-year extension" at an average salary of around $15 million per year with $25-30 million guaranteed. The final year would be voidable. 

how is that a good idea?  fire JD 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Even if JD was a fan of Darnold, how can he not decide to move on at this point? It shouldn't come down to one game, I know. But putting recency bias aside, this game was a microcosm of Darnold's Jet career. Was it Gase's fault?  Maybe. But even when he had plenty of time, he made perplexingly bad decisions. I would be shocked if we don't draft a QB at this point.  It is time to move on.  Now get it right, Joe.

He made bad choices sure but theybwere all fixable rookie mistakes that players do not correct or make without coaching...hell not even good coaching, any decent coaching will fix most if not all the problems we see. I think Joe likes darnold and he plays for use next season. But time will tell

7 hours ago, football guy said:

If Sam stays, look for the team to sign him to a "3-year extension" at an average salary of around $15 million per year with $25-30 million guaranteed. The final year would be voidable. 

I... am at a loss for words.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He made bad choices sure but theybwere all fixable rookie mistakes that players do not correct or make without coaching...hell not even good coaching, any decent coaching will fix most if not all the problems we see. I think Joe likes darnold and he plays for use next season. But time will tell

He's not a rookie.  How long do we need to wait?

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, pointman said:

Gase is terrible. He has no place in the league. With that said, Gase may have drawn up the plays called.. but at no time did he make Sam make inaccurate passes, hold onto the ball too long, throw it to the opposition, kiss people who could keep him off the field when its his one and only job. 

Just an FYI, you can get Mono without kissing someone. I got if from daughter just by being in the car with her driving her to a Dr.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Losmeister said:

sam darnold is the worst draft bust in the hx of the NY Jets.

he's not as good as his ancient b/u's mclown and flaccid.

the #6 and 3 two's....  smfh

crash pilot GIF

Not even close Johnny Lam Jones and Blair Thomas still holds that coveted  position. Just look at who we passed up in those drafts. I think Jones we gave up 2 first round picks for.

What shocked me about Sam's bad play, is his lack of athleticism. He's this big strapping young guy - who would think that he moves so lethargically.  35 years old qb's look more swift than he does. I see Teddy Bridgewater with a reconstructed knee jumping over guys and being reckless, I see old Fitz being manly in his own way, or Andy Dalton types who are old,,,  and Darnold looks slower and less athletic than they do. This is the part that shocks me the most.  It's like he never got over the mono.

(The thing is, there was this one nice TD run he had this year, where he looked fast and actually juked and made a move, but he never did it again. )

22 hours ago, Losmeister said:

the #6 and 3 two's....  smfh

It seemed too much at the time, when I didn't even know who it would be. Because the Jets had the worst OL in football and no WRs really.

I thought, what if we got a great OL, an edge rusher, and a CB or two...and THEN you get a QB...if you really need to spend a #1 pick on one.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:58 PM, dcJet said:

The contract is also why it's hard to trade Sam.   A potential fixer GM, will only get one year to fix Sam before he becomes a free agent.   

I'm not a cap guy, but the way I understand the Sam timeline is:

May 2021:  We decline the $25M, 5th year option for 2022. 

2021 Season: If we don't get any good offers,  we can keep Sam for a measly $9M or so, much of which has already been paid and counted towards our cap.  Maybe a miracle happens in which case we can gladly pay to keep him after the season, but most probably we let him walk for a comp pick.  Edit: @choon328 says we get $5M cap savings if we trade Sam.

2022: Sam's a FA:  If you're a GM that wants Sam, this is when you strike.   You sign Sam to a one year prove it deal or a multiyear team-friendly contract and it doesn't cost a draft pick.

So the question is - Is the opposing GM willing to give away a 2021 draft pick and possibly get only one year of Sam in return?

My opinion, as JD, I would make the trade if it's a 5th or better.  Otherwise, keep Sam for 2021 in case a miracle happens and he increases his trade/comp pick value.

As an opposing GM, I wouldn't trade a bag of footballs for Sam now, but maybe I'd kick the tires in 2022 for free.

His cap hit for a new team would be $920,000 for 2021. It's a low risk/high reward proposition for a team. And worth it for a team like the Steelers to give up a 3rd.  To franchise him after the season would be similar to the 5th year option number so a team could still use that.