Adam Gase officially fired: MERGED

AbstraKt

Just now, T0mShane said:

Gase was a bad on-the-field coach, but his hiring was far and away a net positive. Too many of the revisionist clowns in this thread wanted Mike McCarthy (and Mike Maccagnan) winning six games per here for four years. That would be orders of magnitude worse than anything Gase produced. 

The saddest part of this is that the Johnsons needed Gase to tell them Macc sucked. And they aren't going anywhere...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rid of Mac and exposing Darnold was worth the hire.  biggest failure was not getting Woody to sell the team.  I'm not at all optimistic that Chris or Woody will get us a better HC.  And no that's not an endorsement of Adam Gase.  Gase had a thin resume when he was hired but he is hardly the worst HC in the NFL.  He actually did a good job last year and the team failed miserably this year.  If we are going to be realistic about this Jets roster, it was bad, injured and the franchise QB is not a franchise QB.  

Gase was a victim of a bad team, bad owner, terrible draft in year 1 and a projected franchise QB who isn't a franchise QB.  He deserved to get fired because in the NFL the head coach, like franchise QB's aren't allowed to be victims.  Only owners have that privilege.   I wish Gase and Sam happiness and success in whatever they decide to do going forward.  Obviously they both were in over their heads at the NFL level.

• Upvote 1

Gase was a bad on-the-field coach, but his hiring was far and away a net positive. Too many of the revisionist clowns in this thread wanted Mike McCarthy (and Mike Maccagnan) winning six games per here for four years. That would be orders of magnitude worse than anything Gase produced. 

Mike McCarthy winning percentage .600

Adam Gase winning percentage .400

Super bowl wins as HC: McCarthy 1 Gase 0

Playing for the Division Title on the last day of the season: McCarthy and the Boys

Began season 0-13: Gase the Loser and the Jets.

Yeah...It’s real close: HaHaHaHa

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This is a dark day in Jets history, nothing to celebrate.  Let's see, we leave the season with:
1.  The knowledge that Sam Darnold is a bust and we have wasted 3 years for nothing.
2.  A complete tear down of our coaching staff and likely another lame defensive coordinator in over his head as a rookie head coach taking a job no one else wanted.
3.  The keys to the kingdom in the hands of a meek scout still learning how to be a GM.
Gase wasn't the problem.  This fixes nothing.  It just sets us back again.  
SAR I

Pathetic Post at best. Your boy Gase was the biggest problem with the Jets!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:
8 hours ago, SAR I said:
This is a dark day in Jets history, nothing to celebrate.  Let's see, we leave the season with:
1.  The knowledge that Sam Darnold is a bust and we have wasted 3 years for nothing.
2.  A complete tear down of our coaching staff and likely another lame defensive coordinator in over his head as a rookie head coach taking a job no one else wanted.
3.  The keys to the kingdom in the hands of a meek scout still learning how to be a GM.
Gase wasn't the problem.  This fixes nothing.  It just sets us back again.  
SAR I

Just adding that the day couldn't be any clearer.  @SAR I 

This is a day to celebrate more than ever.

We are finally rid of the person who called himself an offensive football expert.

He couldn't call a game if he had Bill Walsh helping him.

The keys to the kingdom are finally in the hands of someone who isn't a psychopath.

We should only celebrate one thing that AG did right by this franchise, and that was getting rid of Macc...

Lastly, Gase was the problem, and this fixes everything. He actually took a QB that could have been something, and made him worse, (the reason he was hired as HC), and that's not saying all that much about Darnold who I did like, but see now I was wrong, like many others.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Mike McCarthy winning percentage .600

Adam Gase winning percentage .400

Super bowl wins as HC: McCarthy 1 Gase 0

Playing for the Division Title on the last day of the season: McCarthy and the Boys

Began season 0-13: Gase the Loser and the Jets.

Yeah...It’s real close: HaHaHaHa

Go ask a Cowboys fan if they’d rather have McCarthy or no coach at all right now. Haha. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Official Statement From SAR:
I'm a Jets fan and support the team in what they are trying to accomplish.  The failure of another coaching staff, the failure of another franchise quarterback prospect, the reenactment of the revolving door at head coach, the repeat of the blind faith in a GM that most thought was in over his head, it's all very 2015, it doesn't feel like anything has changed in Florham Park.
But, I support the Jets, I support the Johnson's, and if this is what they thought was the best course of action, so be it, on to 2021.
SAR I

GFY you piece of garbage.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Go ask a Cowboys fan if they’d rather have McCarthy or no coach at all right now. Haha. 

Wrong: Ask a Cowboys Fan who they would rather of hired as HC Adam Gase or Mike McCarthy? They were playing for the division on the last day of the season. Please do not compare Gase the loser to McCarthy. Please stop!!! It’s not even close.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Dude, you can scream that the sky is falling all you want. There is no way you are wiping this smile off my face. Let me tell you something, I am not upset that you wanted Gase to stay, what I am upset with is you were an obnoxious prick while taking that position. So go weep for your savior, go tell me how sad you are because I am loving your misery. 

This. He is an obnoxious prick and the moderators here allowed it.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

And that's why firing Adam Gase right now is such a dumb move.  We haven't reversed the perception of dysfunction when we fire a well-liked member of the coaching community who the entire NFL knows was put in the worst situation possible in 2020 after a reasonably successful 2019.  And if Cimini is to be believed, Elhai and Douglas are vetting candidates and Chris is going to make the final decision.  It's the same old revolving door, the same dysfunction.

"Sheer desperation because of a bungled HC search"  We're set up for that again.

SAR I

What is this image of well liked. Two members of the team liked tweets about him being fired, Adams and Bell both trashed him. It is obvious that if there was a contingent  of players that liked him and another that didn't  so this image of lockerroom unity you espoused really did not exist.  Now if you are talking about other HC's or even owners liking Gase, first let's  see how fast he lands on his NFL feet. Let's  see how quickly a guy with a life time of his O's finishing in the bottom of the NFL gets offered another job if other HC's like him. If there was a guy I knew I would play against who doesn't  develop players and has no way shape or form of an O I should fear, Hell, I would like him too. 

That fact is you were wrong about a lot. You were wrong thinking Gase would be retained, the Media would kill the Jets for it, and the Johnsons would ignore it, you were wrong about Gase running things here and how he had absolute power to do what he wanted. Gase was a HC and that was it, he made no trades, he made no personnel  decisions, and he never told the team we are looking for effort, not wins this season. Own it.

• Upvote 1

Gase was a bad HC saddled with a non competitive roster. Until the Jets figure out talent acquisition, it will be tough sledding for any HC. Besides the Gore love (which to be fair, he was beloved by everyone), I felt the Jets under Gase were more willing to bench underperforming players than they were with Bowles. They were also more organized.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You want to resort to name calling?

Ok. Cool. 

I'll just call you a RAT BASTARD TROLL with my every quote of you. 

You little rat bastard, troll

You're also a liar

You talk about and brag about (on a message board) having a "Rolex collection" but yet you've never once posted pictures of your FAKE Rolex collection. 

You RAT BASTARD TROLL of a LIAR. 

Honestly, having a Rolex isn't  even a big deal. Rolex is a commercially produced watch. If he really wants to impress someone, getting a Rolex isn't what you brag about. You can get one for 2000 on 47th Street so who cares. You want to impress someone, tell them you have a collection of Patek's or Jaegar's.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, having a Rolex isn't  even a big deal. Rolex is a commercially produced watch. If he really wants to impress someone, getting a Rolex isn't what you brag about. You can get one for 2000 on 47th Street so who cares. You want to impress someone, tell them you have a collection of Patek's or Jaegar's.

$280,000.

s-l400.jpg.7f3520af31e9c24f99543395017cb472.jpg

Nuts. 

I could pay off my mortgage. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

They were playing for the division on the last day of the season

Mike McCarthy: First year 6-10 and playing for division title. 

Adam Gase: First year 7-9 and not playing for division title. 

I think you need to rethink your argument here boss lol. 

• Haha 1

Mike McCarthy: First year 6-10 and playing for division title. 
Adam Gase: First year 7-9 and not playing for division title. 
I think you need to rethink your argument here boss lol. 

There’s nothing to rethink, Pal, you can’t fault the Boys for a weak division. As it stands, the Boys were playing for the division on the last day of the season while Gase opened 0-13!

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

That is the thing and in a weird way I agree with you. If the base line is the Super Bowl I am not sure any of those candidates last year where the answer. Rhule and McCarthy didn't light the world on fire. So Gase in a way was punting and setting up a new plan.

My hope is you are 100% right and Joe Douglas fixes things with this hire.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

I thought Christopher Johnson was going to be different than Woody Johnson and I was wrong.  I met him, I thought he was going to be a bowling ball with knives, it was going to be glorious.  Nope.

And that's no reason for you to gloat; it's actually reason to be angry.  You won the battle.  But you've lost the war.  No, not with me, I'm just a poster on a message board.  The Jets ownership isn't what we hoped it was.  They actually haven't changed. 

And I don't know if I can stick with them anymore.  I've seen this show before.  Replacing Maccagnan, Glat, and Bowles with their exact clones?  Better not be.  Or I'm out.

SAR I

How is it that most of us saw this coming and all you did was stick your fingers in your ears screaming not listening.

And BTW, this is just football. It's  a distraction from things like the ? show 2020 has been. I still enjoy talking about the Jets when there is a reasonable argument to be had. Right now I am looking at the coaching search and hoping we get Daboll. Next I will be looking at Fields and Wilson and deciding who I will hope to be the Jets next QB. That is what sports is for a fan, not hoping that some miracle happens and the light goes on in the Johnson's  head. 

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

There’s nothing to rethink, Pal, you can’t fault the Boys for a weak division. As it stands, the Boys were playing for the division on the last day of the season while Gase opened 0-13!

Yea, you can fault the boys for a weak division.

Again, first year comparison for the coaches is what matters. 

They were 6-10 and got to play 3 crappy teams TWICE with a loaded Pro Bowl roster. 

Jets were 7-9 and had to play 3 decent teams TWICE with 1 Pro Bowler. 

Not sure what you dont understand about that. 

Jets did better against tougher opponents when you compare the first year of McCarthy/Gases tenures. Fighting for a division title this year in the NFC East was a joke. Fighting last year for a division title in the AFC East was barely possible with that Patriots team. 

I cant believe I actually have to defend Gase on this. Ridiculous. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Wrong: Ask a Cowboys Fan who they would rather of hired as HC Adam Gase or Mike McCarthy? They were playing for the division on the last day of the season. Please do not compare Gase the loser to McCarthy. Please stop!!! It’s not even close.

And they lost their franchise QB to injury.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Getting rid of Mac and exposing Darnold was worth the hire.  biggest failure was not getting Woody to sell the team.  I'm not at all optimistic that Chris or Woody will get us a better HC.  And no that's not an endorsement of Adam Gase.  Gase had a thin resume when he was hired but he is hardly the worst HC in the NFL.  He actually did a good job last year and the team failed miserably this year.  If we are going to be realistic about this Jets roster, it was bad, injured and the franchise QB is not a franchise QB.  

Gase was a victim of a bad team, bad owner, terrible draft in year 1 and a projected franchise QB who isn't a franchise QB.  He deserved to get fired because in the NFL the head coach, like franchise QB's aren't allowed to be victims.  Only owners have that privilege.   I wish Gase and Sam happiness and success in whatever they decide to do going forward.  Obviously they both were in over their heads at the NFL level.

This is such BS. Yeah, you aren't  a good QB. Let me expose you by putting my foot on your throat. How did Gase expose Darnold? By not developing him? By calling runs on second and long, by playing Gore so he gets some stupid record that was totally meaningless to the Jets? When Gore goes to the HOF, do you think he goes in as a Jet? Gase did Darnold no favors and as a HC, that is wrong. He literally shoved the kid off a cliff. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is the thing and in a weird way I agree with you. If the base line is the Super Bowl I am not sure any of those candidates last year where the answer. Rhule and McCarthy didn't light the world on fire. So Gase in a way was punting and setting up a new plan.

My hope is you are 100% right and Joe Douglas fixes things with this hire.

giphy.gif

?

Gase was a disastrous hire and obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that this was going to be a failure.   Anyone saying it was a net positive because he got rid of Mac is just trying to save face.  Gase isnt some genius for recognizing that Big Mac sucked, he's not angel for getting him fired, he's the worst coach in the history of the franchise and while we all want to be optimistic about JD, we dont have any evidence he's any good at his job.  He wasnt here to fire Mac, he was here to develop Sam and he failed miserably. 

I will say this, Adam Gase handled himself like a pro on his way out.  I will respect him for that because I really didnt see him being so grateful when he knew his days were numbered.  I expected a save face type of approach but he just owned it and really did handle himself well.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

How is it that most of us saw this coming and all you did was stick your fingers in your ears screaming not listening.

Because I was wrong.  I thought there was a master plan here that Chris, Joe, and Adam were all bought into and were working on together.  This morning I wake to find that wasn't the case.  You saw a bad coach.  I saw an ownership and their FO working together on a patient rebuilding plan which was more important than playcalling ability.  So while you feel liberated, I feel depressed. 

And the thought that we let a generational quarterback slip through our fingers when we knew we were getting rid of the guy who led us to improbable wins over two playoff teams?  That those wins, which I thought were important for the team to continue to believe in Douglas and Gase, were actually for nothing and could have been avoided entirely?  Its mind-boggling.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is such BS. Yeah, you aren't  a good QB. Let me expose you by putting my foot on your throat. How did Gase expose Darnold? By not developing him? By calling runs on second and long, by playing Gore so he gets some stupid record that was totally meaningless to the Jets? When Gore goes to the HOF, do you think he goes in as a Jet? Gase did Darnold no favors and as a HC, that is wrong. He literally shoved the kid off a cliff. 

I rooted for both of them to succeed.  The reality is they were both victims.  Elite NFL HC and QB's aren't victims of destiny, they make their destiny.  In this case Gase and Darnold proved they weren't good enough for the big stage.  Sorry you can't see that.  He was overhyped and overmatched.  Gase has a lot you can blame him for.  Darnold not having the goods isn't one of them. 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Because I was wrong.  I thought there was a master plan here that Chris, Joe, and Adam were all bought into and were working on together.  This morning I wake to find that wasn't the case.  You saw a bad coach.  I saw an ownership and their FO working together on a patient rebuilding plan which was more important than playcalling ability.  So while you feel liberated, I feel depressed. 

And the thought that we let a generational quarterback slip through our fingers when we knew we were getting rid of the guy who led us to improbable wins over two playoff teams?  That those wins, which I thought were important for the team to continue to believe in Douglas and Gase, were actually for nothing and could have been avoided entirely?  Its mind-boggling.

SAR I

You have your savior to thank for everything you just wrote. And to think the wins came against Cleveland and LA. Two teams that needed the wins. 

Here is also the problem with your position. It was a constantly changi g one over the season. I think I saw you take at least 5 different position, each one was to suit the new reality of this team as the season evolved.  At least for me, I said Gase sucked, I always said he sucked, and I always said the Johnson's  are not going to sit around and take the heat for this team. 

You and I go back a long way. I think I liked you a lot better when you hated Gastineau for the late hit on Kosar. Right now I'm not sure what you stand for but it was ugly to watch. I actually had you on ignore for like a month.