Adam Gase officially fired: MERGED

AbstraKt

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I rooted for both of them to succeed.  The reality is they were both victims.  Elite NFL HC and QB's aren't victims of destiny, they make their destiny.  In this case Gase and Darnold proved they weren't good enough for the big stage.  Sorry you can't see that.  He was overhyped and overmatched.  Gase has a lot you can blame him for.  Darnold not having the goods isn't one of them. 

Darnold wasn't  going to be the answer here, there are obviously flaws but Brett Farve was also a flawed QB. Did you know when they drafted Roger's, they told him not to emulate Farve? Sam is bad, there is no denying  that but he was made worse by Gase. I don't  think there is any denying that either. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

We all have our breaking point.

More than Gase as an actual head coach, he represented everything I wanted-  Experienced (no more rookies), Offensive Background (no more defensive guys), and a known Head Coaching Hardass (no more fluffy Bowles types) to change the culture.  And along with that, autonomy from new CEO Christopher Johnson who had knowingly hired himself a Football Man and was going to let him rip through Florham Park like a hurricane and destroy everything in his path.  Get onboard or get out.  The enema this post-Ryan post-Idzik post-Maccagnan team desperately needed.

I don't feel bad for having a wrong opinion on the situation and embarrassing myself on your find message board; I feel bad because being wrong means the Johnson's haven't learned a damned thing.  It makes me ill to think it's 2015 all over again.  And I think it is.

SAR I

i was with you, until i wasn't on Gase. To me the thing that made Gase great, which was his lack of caring about what anyone else thought, and his conviction in his own ability to get the job done is also the thing that made him run old Frank Gore into the line over and over (even when we were clearly horrible and not going anywhere), and his inability to adjust to accomodate the players we have as opposed to the system he wants to run.

Finally, he came here to coach up Darnold...that was the gig...he brought his sidekick even though he wasn't qualified to be an OC on any other team probably...whatever it was...he had 1 job...and he took it. You can tell me that Darnold sucks, but Gase took the job...and at this point even i dont have any confidence that Darnold would take a stop forward with Gase next year. So he had to go, and the jets either find someone else who wants to work with Sam, or they reboot the entire thing.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Darnold wasn't  going to be the answer here, there are obviously flaws but Brett Farve was also a flawed QB. Did you know when they drafted Roger's, they told him not to emulate Farve? Sam is bad, there is no denying  that but he was made worse by Gase. I don't  think there is any denying that either. 

Glad you brought up Favre.  Way more talented than Sam physically.  Way more driven.  He wasn't as hyped out of college and went in the 2nd round.  Favre wouldn't have been held back by anyone.  He's a HOF QB who had great tools and was an absolute gunslinger who could see the play and make it in fractions of a second.  That wasn't developed, he had it.  Sam doesn't have it.  

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Glad you brought up Favre.  Way more talented than Sam physically.  Way more driven.  He wasn't as hyped out of college and went in the 2nd round.  Favre wouldn't have been held back by anyone.  He's a HOF QB who had great tools and was an absolute gunslinger who could see the play and make it in fractions of a second.  That wasn't developed, he had it.  Sam doesn't have it.  

Farce threw picks all the time. 

22 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You have your savior to thank for everything you just wrote. And to think the wins came against Cleveland and LA. Two teams that needed the wins. 

No, it's not Adam Gase's fault that we blew a generational quarterback in December.  We now know there was a wedge between he and Douglas and Gase was desperately trying to win to keep his job and that could have been avoided entirely if they got rid of Gase along with Gregg after the Vegas debacle.  That's on Chris and Douglas.  Gase was a gonner.  They should have prevented him from costing us Lawrence.

Here is also the problem with your position. It was a constantly changi g one over the season. I think I saw you take at least 5 different position, each one was to suit the new reality of this team as the season evolved. 

That's because an NFL season is dynamic and ever-changing.  In June, I thought the team was going to build off the 6-2 finish.  Then we lost Jamal and Mosley.  At 0-0 I still had hopes that we could overcome.  At 0-4 it was clear the injuries were going to cost us the season.  at 0-6 it was clear that Darnold was a bust.  At 0-8 it became a Douglas housecleaning.  At 0-12 it was all about Trevor Lawrence.  That's not moving the goalposts.  That's reacting to what I'm seeing the team do and management do.

You and I go back a long way. I think I liked you a lot better when you hated Gastineau for the late hit on Kosar. Right now I'm not sure what you stand for but it was ugly to watch. I actually had you on ignore for like a month. 

Currying the favor of other posters never meant anything to me.  People tend to like those who have the same opinions that they do.  This wasn't one of those times.  I thought there was a well-thought-out master plan in place and there wasn't.  It's just more of same.  Out with the old Bowles, in with the new.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Farce threw picks all the time. 

So what?  So did Namath.  They had talent and were supremely confident.  They had fun and they won.  Sam looks like a tortured soul playing a kids game.  As a football fan if you didn't enjoy watching Bret Favre, I'm not sure why you bother to follow the game. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, it's not Adam Gase's fault that we blew a generational quarterback in December.  We now know there was a wedge between he and Douglas and Gase was desperately trying to win to keep his job and that could have been avoided entirely if they got rid of Gase along with Gregg after the Vegas debacle.  That's on Chris and Douglas.  Gase was a gonner.  They should have prevented him from costing us Lawrence.

That's because an NFL season is dynamic and ever-changing.  In June, I thought the team was going to build off the 6-2 finish.  Then we lost Jamal and Mosley.  At 0-0 I still had hopes that we could overcome.  At 0-4 it was clear the injuries were going to cost us the season.  at 0-6 it was clear that Darnold was a bust.  At 0-8 it became a Douglas housecleaning.  At 0-12 it was all about Trevor Lawrence.  That's not moving the goalposts.  That's reacting to what I'm seeing the team do and management do.

Currying the favor of other posters never meant anything to me.  People tend to like those who have the same opinions that they do.  This wasn't one of those times.  I thought there was a well-thought-out master plan in place and there wasn't.  It's just more of same.  Out with the old Bowles, in with the new.

SAR I

I still can't  figure out what this master plan was and how removing Gase changed it. You said yourself Gase was a goner in another year or so so we have a HC that wasn't  going to take the team to a SB, that wasn't  going to lead, so what is the point of keeping him here? What was he doing here? He was hired as a HC, he was also hired to develop Darnold. He was horrible at doing both. Seeing this you concocted this idea that Gase was brought here to burn it all down and rebuild? Well he was sure good at the former. Gase took a flame thrower to the team, there is no denying that, I just can't  figure out what he did that was any good. 

As far as where the Jets are, we are in full rebuild. We probably were in full rebuild by mid season. This hasn't  changed.  Darnold is a goner. There is no way he is retained and the biggest reason is not his lack of talent, drafting Fields or Wilson is red meat for the fans and CJ as well as Woody want that. The only thing I see that has changed is the next HC might have a clue about developing  young players. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I still can't  figure out what this master plan was and how removing Gase changed it. You said yourself Gase was a goner in another year or so so we have a HC that wasn't  going to take the team to a SB, that wasn't  going to lead, so what is the point of keeping him here? What was he doing here? He was hired as a HC, he was also hired to develop Darnold. He was horrible at doing both. Seeing this you concocted this idea that Gase was brought here to burn it all down and rebuild? Well he was sure good at the former. Gase took a flame thrower to the team, there is no denying that, I just can't  figure out what he did that was any good. 

As far as where the Jets are, we are in full rebuild. We probably were in full rebuild by mid season. This hasn't  changed.  Darnold is a goner. There is no way he is retained and the biggest reason is not his lack of talent, drafting Fields or Wilson is red meat for the fans and CJ as well as Woody want that. The only thing I see that has changed is the next HC might have a clue about developing  young players. 

The master plan, as I saw it, was what everyone has been clamoring for-  an owner, a GM, and a HC all on the same page, all showing patience, all onboard with every roster move, looking at this as a 5 year plan, no knee-jerk overreactions, no individual agendas.

For the sake of argument, let's agree that for the next 2 years the Jets are going to be rebuilding and doing a good share of losing.  And that, if things go well, by 2023 we would have a rebuilt roster, Douglas would have proven to be a savvy player-picker, and the NYJ HC job would be very attractive to A+ caliber head coaching prospects.  

Moving Gase after the dirty rebuild and the ugly losing is over would have a) given continuity to the players currently here, b) shown HC prospects that the organization is no longer overreactive, and c) allowed us to get one of the A+ candidates out there,  I'm not going to rush to judgement, but call me skeptical I don't think the Jets are going to get a great coach.  I think we're going to get Todd Bowles II.  Because Johnson and Douglas made two big mistakes-  they let Gase go prematurely and they blew Trevor Lawrence. 

The time to grab a great head coach isn't when your QB busted, the roster is in shambles after getting rid of all your skill players, and you blew the first pick in a generational draft.  We have the appeal of an expansion team with a bad reputation in a market that causes head coaches and their families humiliation.  This isn't good.  Could have been avoided by sticking with Gase until the team is truly rebuilt *or* getting Trevor Lawrence.

SAR I 

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, SAR I said:

The master plan, as I saw it, was what everyone has been clamoring for-  an owner, a GM, and a HC all on the same page, all showing patience, all onboard with every roster move, looking at this as a 5 year plan, no knee-jerk overreactions, no individual agendas.

For the sake of argument, let's agree that for the next 2 years the Jets are going to be rebuilding and doing a good share of losing.  And that, if things go well, by 2023 we would have a rebuilt roster, Douglas would have proven to be a savvy player-picker, and the NYJ HC job would be very attractive to A+ caliber head coaching prospects.  

Moving Gase after the dirty rebuild and the ugly losing is over would have a) given continuity to the players currently here, b) shown HC prospects that the organization is no longer overreactive, and c) allowed us to get one of the A+ candidates out there,  I'm not going to rush to judgement, but call me skeptical I don't think the Jets are going to get a great coach.  I think we're going to get Todd Bowles II.  Because Johnson and Douglas made two big mistakes-  they let Gase go prematurely and they blew Trevor Lawrence. 

The time to grab a great head coach isn't when your QB busted, the roster is in shambles after getting rid of all your skill players, and you blew the first pick in a generational draft.  We have the appeal of an expansion team with a bad reputation in a market that causes head coaches and their families humiliation.  This isn't good.  Could have been avoided by sticking with Gase until the team is truly rebuilt.

SAR I 

This is like sticking with a messy roommate because you're afraid the new roommate won't want to help you get things in order.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Currying the favor of other posters never meant anything to me. 

SAR I

Of course not, that's not what Trolls do.

It was a good run, now you'll have to find a new thing to troll us all with.

Good thing for you, the Coach hiring process and draft will give you a ton of new material.

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

raw

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The time to grab a great head coach isn't when your QB busted, the roster is in shambles after getting rid of all your skill players, and you blew the first pick in a generational draft.  We have the appeal of an expansion team with a bad reputation in a market that causes head coaches and their families humiliation.  This isn't good.  Could have been avoided by sticking with Gase until the team is truly rebuilt *or* getting Trevor Lawrence.

SAR I 

The positives that you saw in Gase I think are there. I agree with them. He was good with the media, he understood that we needed a total rebuild. He trimmed the fat. He as a good CEO. I agree. But the football side of things was SO bad that it couldn't be forgiven. The right man for the job needs to be able to lead the team on and off the field. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I 

Gase took the job when Douglas wasn't here.  They are not on the same page.  They are on the owners pages independently.  Gase took the job knowing full well that Darnold development was a huge part of his job.  You can make the argument that Darnold busting had nothing to do with Gase but you can't make the argument that Gase took the job and sold the job in large part because of Darnold.

I have no agenda against Gase.  I rooted for him to succeed.  I thought he did a good job last year.  I would not have him on the staff to develop another QB under any circumstances.  HC of NFL teams don't get to play the victim card.   

The Jets probably won't get a great HC but Douglas may make the decision and he may be a good GM.  To be determined.  Gase and Sam are tied at the hip.  Time to move on.  You gave this troll job the full monty.  Put on your big boy underpants and move on.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is like sticking with a messy roommate because you're afraid the new roommate won't want to help you get things in order.

A roommate can be evicted and replaced the next day.  Just one person.  No co-dependencies.  You can keep flipping them every month until you get one that sticks.

NFL head coach, different story.  Whoever we are about to hire is going to get 2 years minimum and won't have much more success than Gase did.  The problem is the roster, not the head coach.  Of course we can do better than Gase-  the bar is rather low.  But we don't get guys like Shanahan or McVay, never have.  We can't be as bad as we are right now and attract an A+ guy.  We needed a QB in place, we needed an OL in place, we needed a strong secondary in place to attract one of those A+ guys.

And that's why we always wind up firing our head coach in 2-3 years.  Because we don't think through the best way to attract a really good one.  We always knee-jerk overreact when the going gets tough.  We were 7-9 last season.  And we sold off all our best playmakers to tank this season.  Gase is to blame, how?  That's how other NFL head coaching prospects and their agents will see it.  We set Gase up to be in peril and instead of standing by him we cut him loose.  And the torture the fans and media put him and his family through is just another part of why this is the worst HC job in all of professional sports.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

A roommate can be evicted and replaced the next day.  Just one person.  No co-dependencies.  You can keep flipping them every month until you get one that sticks.

NFL head coach, different story.  Whoever we are about to hire is going to get 2 years minimum and won't have much more success than Gase did.  The problem is the roster, not the head coach.  Of course we can do better than Gase-  the bar is rather low.  But we don't get guys like Shanahan or McVay, never have.  We can't be as bad as we are right now and attract an A+ guy.  We needed a QB in place, we needed an OL in place, we needed a strong secondary in place to attract one of those A+ guys.

And that's why we always wind up firing our head coach in 2-3 years.  Because we don't think through the best way to attract a really good one.  We always knee-jerk overreact when the going gets tough.  We were 7-9 last season.  And we sold off all our best playmakers to tank this season.  Gase is to blame, how?  That's how other NFL head coaching prospects and their agents will see it.  We set Gase up to be in peril and instead of standing by him we cut him loose.  And the torture the fans and media put him and his family through is just another part of why this is the worst HC job in all of professional sports.

SAR I

I hear you but it's a chicken or egg type of situation and not a justification to keep a guy who is a proven failure. Maybe the best option is to pay an obscene amount of money to a Cowher type who you know won't be here for the long term due to age. A bridge HC with the credibility to change the culture and hopefully help get things in place for your forever-coach. Whether those guys are interested or not, who knows. But money talks... I bet if you offer Cowher four years for $40M-$45M he takes it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I 

First off, did you watch Clemson OSU?

Lawrence looked anything but generational. He still may have a good career but I would say the difference between he and Fields is a lot closer than anyone may have thought. I'm not concerned at all with losing out on this guy. 

Secondly, the Jets are taking a QB in this draft. Again, this leads back to sports headlines. If we build around Sam, the fan base divides, if we trade Sam and get a new QB, everyone is on board and that is what this ownership  cares about. To this end, seeing what a bad coach Gase is, do you really want him to be the guy working with Fields or Wilson in the first year or so. I think this was the main reason Gase was let go. We are taking a QB at 2 and we want Gase nowhere near him. To me, this is the master plan JD and the Johnsons came up with so you are correct in thinking there was one, the problem was Gase was never a part of the plan.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I 

tenor.gif

9 minutes ago, QB1 said:

The positives that you saw in Gase I think are there. I agree with them. He was good with the media, he understood that we needed a total rebuild. He trimmed the fat. He as a good CEO. I agree. But the football side of things was SO bad that it couldn't be forgiven. The right man for the job needs to be able to lead the team on and off the field. 

Agreed.

Problem is, we have more problems now than we did when we got Gase.  The roster is worse.  The QB is broken.  The GM just demolished the roster and sold his head coach down the river.  The ownership is in flux with Woody maybe maybe-not returning.  The NY media has never been more vicious.  Fans have never been more impatient.

If you think Adam Gase was bad, just you wait.  I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but this thing is set up for disaster and it didn't need to be.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

5 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

SAR is the new Pats TX Fan?

Sar has been doing his thing for just as long. Not as funny as TX, but at this point the only people deserving of discipline are the guys that fall for it. Especially those that have posted ugh him for 10+ years. I mean, come on... Darwin.

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

First off, did you watch Clemson OSU?

Lawrence looked anything but generational. He still may have a good career but I would say the difference between he and Fields is a lot closer than anyone may have thought. I'm not concerned at all with losing out on this guy. 

Secondly, the Jets are taking a QB in this draft. Again, this leads back to sports headlines. If we build around Sam, the fan base divides, if we trade Sam and get a new QB, everyone is on board and that is what this ownership  cares about. To this end, seeing what a bad coach Gase is, do you really want him to be the guy working with Fields or Wilson in the first year or so. I think this was the main reason Gase was let go. We are taking a QB at 2 and we want Gase nowhere near him. To me, this is the master plan JD and the Johnsons came up with so you are correct in thinking there was one, the problem was Gase was never a part of the plan.

Major League Baseball Sport GIF by MLB

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agreed.

Problem is, we have more problems now than we did when we got Gase.  The roster is worse.  The QB is broken.  The GM just demolished the roster and sold his head coach down the river.  The ownership is in flux with Woody maybe maybe-not returning.  The NY media has never been more vicious.  Fans have never been more impatient.

If you think Adam Gase was bad, just you wait.  I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but this thing is set up for disaster and it didn't need to be.

SAR I

b7d.jpg

• Post of the Week 2

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think this was the main reason Gase was let go. We are taking a QB at 2 and we want Gase nowhere near him. To me, this is the master plan JD and the Johnsons came up with so you are correct in thinking there was one, the problem was Gase was never a part of the plan.

Praying this is the case.  But the quality of the person we are about to hire is going to be weak, may not be better than Gase, and Gase did have some success with Tannehill and Darnold in spurts.

Truth is, it's the OC that's the most important hire.  We need an HC who can coerce a great OC to come here.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, SAR I said:

Praying this is the case.  But the quality of the person we are about to hire is going to be weak, may not be better than Gase, and Gase did have some success with Tannehill and Darnold in spurts.

Truth is, it's the OC that's the most important hire.  We need an HC who can coerce a great OC to come here.

SAR I

You're quoting me quoting @More Cowbell (hat tip) but I agree with it.

I'm 99% certain JD is staying pat at #2 and taking Lawrence/Fields.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Gase took the job when Douglas wasn't here.  They are not on the same page.  They are on the owners pages independently.  Gase took the job knowing full well that Darnold development was a huge part of his job.  You can make the argument that Darnold busting had nothing to do with Gase but you can't make the argument that Gase took the job and sold the job in large part because of Darnold.

I have no agenda against Gase.  I rooted for him to succeed.  I thought he did a good job last year.  I would not have him on the staff to develop another QB under any circumstances.  HC of NFL teams don't get to play the victim card.   

The Jets probably won't get a great HC but Douglas may make the decision and he may be a good GM.  To be determined.  Gase and Sam are tied at the hip.  Time to move on.  You gave this troll job the full monty.  Put on your big boy underpants and move on.  

I’d like to hear from Douglas what exactly his plan is, what he wants in a coach, how he saw his first draft class etc. He’s hid behind the curtain for close to two years getting the benefit of the doubt while Gase took the bullets. Time to clearly explain the plan. The fanbase deserves something.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’d like to hear from Douglas what exactly his plan is, what he wants in a coach, how he saw his first draft class etc. He’s hid behind the curtain for close to two years getting the benefit of the doubt while Gase took the bullets. Time to clearly explain the plan. The fanbase deserves something.

Amen.

When it appeared that Douglas and Gase were a tight pairing, it made sense that Adam took all the bullets as he was the public face of the franchise.  Time for Douglas to step up and wow us, none of this meek schoolboy stuff.  I'd better be blown away by his passion and bravado today. 

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

As we have discussed, for an NFL team to have a winless season is incredibly difficult.  Very few teams have done it.  One win was too many for the Jets to have the top pick in the 2021 Draft.

There was a very strong argument that leaving Gase in place was actually the best plan to losing every game.  The fact that he suddenly became more creative on offensive at the end of season was frustrating.

But as bad as the Jets were, there were when healthy not a winless team.  They should have beat the Raiders.   That should have been the loss of the top draft pick.  

Gase as HC with Loggains as OC was not working.  Just like Bowles and Kacy.   The strength, conditioning and training is not working.   Maybe the next step should have been to hire Gase a real OC.  I agree with SAR that firing Gase did not have to be the answer and it is a repeat of the Johnson way.  Something needs to change.

Most of us wanted to be optimistic but feared that Gase was another weak Jets HC.  I think we will know whether the next chapter is an improvement, more of the same, or a toss up.  But I don't think it will improve unless the Johnsons spend 2x on coaching than they have previously.  Bowles and Mac are off the payroll now, but Gase is still on it.