Adam Gase officially fired: MERGED

AbstraKt

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

The Jets are officially searching for their next head coach after relieving Adam Gase of his duties Sunday evening.

And Joe Douglas is running the point.

According to multiple league and team sources, the Jets general manager is the one primarily in charge of finding Gase’s replacement. CEO Christopher Johnson and president Hymie Elhai will contribute and have roles, sources said, but it will be Douglas who identifies the traits he wants in a coach, finds the coach who has those traits, conducts the majority of the interviews, and eventually highlights the one he believes is the perfect man for the job.

“It’s Joe’s show,” one source said.

And he has the green light from ownership to do whatever it takes to get the coach he desires on the Jets’ sideline.

This will be the first head-coaching vacancy Douglas fills largely by himself. He spent the first 14 years of his career in the Ravens organization, training underneath Ozzie Newsome, before leaving the team in 2014. He then went to the Bears (Director of College Scouting) for one year before spending just over three seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles (Vice President of Player Personnel). The Jets hired Douglas after the 2019 NFL Draft.

In Baltimore and Chicago, Douglas worked almost exclusively in collegiate scouting. With the Eagles, Howie Roseman did everything he could to expose Douglas to various front-office workings, but that didn’t include a head-coaching search. Doug Pederson was already there when Douglas arrived.

Still, Douglas has the Jets’ full confidence and the complete trust of Johnson. Johnson will be privy to all potential moves. He’ll be made aware of why Douglas believes those moves will or won’t work. He’ll be involved in all interviews. He will not step on Douglas’ toes, though.

The Jets have basically given Douglas the keys to the franchise. He’ll pick the coach. He has no financial restrictions in free agency. He runs their draft.

Douglas is well-respected around the league and was considered a significant hire for New York in 2019. After the Jets fired Mike Maccagnan, Gase helped compile a short list of potential replacements, with Douglas’ name at the top. After one interview, Johnson knew who he wanted. The two sides went back and forth before Douglas agreed to a six-year contract.

“Christopher was not going to let him get away,” one team source said. “He found his guy, and he got him.”

The Jets believe the chance to work with Douglas will be a beacon that attracts coaches to their opening.  What Douglas has worked to build the last two years won’t hurt, either.

The Jets had a reputation for horrid drafting, worse free-agent signings, and front-office discombobulation before Douglas’ arrival.  Their 10-year playoff drought, and brutal 2-14 record this season, is a final result of those years of ineptitude — from Mike Tannenbaum to John Idzik to Maccagnan. While Douglas said midway through this year he “didn’t do enough” to give Gase and quarterback Sam Darnold talent, it was always going to take more than one offseason to fix this team.

And while the Jets aren’t good, Douglas has positioned them to turn a corner sooner rather than later.

The general manager’s conservative approach in free agency last year angered fans, but it has positioned the Jets nicely for this year’s talent-rich class. New York should sit nearly $100 million under the cap when the market opens. Douglas received criticism for trading all-pro safety Jamal Adams, but in doing so, helped accumulate nine total picks within the first three rounds of the next two drafts. The Jets pick second this year, and have four first-round picks over the next two years.

Obviously, that doesn’t mean much if the Jets can’t find the right coach.

But the team is confident in Douglas’ ability to do so.

This sounds very encouraging, a bit off the mark at the end however.  Most fans were not upset at the GM being frugal in FA after so many awful bust on high  priced guys and most knew the jets were planning for down the road.

If Johnsons and Hymie smile and nod I am fine with them being in the meetings.  Finally a GM is being trusted to run the show.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

LOL what’s thats supposed to mean? You would rather we keep Gase?

Does it matter? I’m a douchebag on the internet and everything the Jets do winds up working out poorly. Safe to say that whatever the next stiff is that they prop up will suffer the same fate as the last 9 dudes. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Does it matter? I’m a douchebag on the internet and everything the Jets do winds up working out poorly. Safe to say that whatever the next stiff is that they prop up will suffer the same fate as the last 9 dudes. 

Weird take but ok

14 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I hope they didn’t even let him on the team plane. Get your rich ass the F outta here you deek

They did.  Game was over at 415.  They got on the flight say at 7. That had to be one uncomfortable plane ride for the players. Fired him as soon as plane landed. 

7 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

That’s his shtick since 08.. Don’t expect anything less 

Personally, I'd just point out that Adam Gase made something like 20 million dollars, half of which he doesn't have to do any work for, just by convincing Christopher Johnson and Mike Maccagnan that the worst QB in the NFL was salvageable.  Then, as a gift to the fans, he got rid of Maccagnan and Jamal Adams, and if that wasn't enough, Manish Mehta too.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Lith said:

Before we celebrate too much, remember how we fvcked up the last hire.  Gotta make sure to get this one right -- we get this hire right and we are well positioned to finally turn things around.  Draft capital, QB options, cap space.  Get the coaching hire right and we are i n great shape to turn things around in the next couple of years.

Get it wrong, and we are right back here in 3 years starting over again.

OK - I’ll be more alert this time. Thanks for keeping me focused. ???

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Translation: Even though Adam Gase can't hurt us anymore, the Jets still can.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Personally, I'd just point out that Adam Gase made something like 20 million dollars, half of which he doesn't have to do any work for, just by convincing Christopher Johnson and Mike Maccagnan that the worst QB in the NFL was salvageable.  Then, as a gift to the fans, he got rid of Maccagnan and Jamal Adams, and if that wasn't enough, Manish Mehta too.

^^This should be engraved on his headstone.