Solve the QB Problem!!

phill1c

I say we solve the QB problem this way:

Trade Darnold for Carson Wentz.

Sure, both kinda suck. Both had the Golden Boy title at one point. That way, you let Flacco and Wentz fight it out AND you give them a bookend OT tandem. Sign Scherff or equivalent and your OL is complete.

• Thumb Down 15
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Sure, both kinda suck. Both had the Golden Boy title at one point. That way, you let Flacco and Wentz fight it out AND you give them a bookend OT tandem. Sign Scherff or equivalent and your OL is complete.

Awful idea.  Worse than Darnold for twice the money.  And his teammates detest him.

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Awful idea.  Worse than Darnold for twice the money?

ok i get that you think it's an awful idea. Heck, even I think it's very Fantasy Football. But uplift the conversation, say WHY it's bad.

geez, can you actually present an idea more than "your idea sucks..."?! [not just you..]

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

not a fan, makes little sense considering our current state

why not? Darnold and Wentz each could use a change of scenery... and you get to draft the bookend OT and have a veteran QB competition.

It's funny that you think the same organization that whiffed on Darnold can be trusted not to f*ck up another young QB?!  no offense...

• Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, phill1c said:

you are actually mentally challenged. get help/

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

So may people are overthnking this.  Justin Fields would be a legit candidate for #1 overall if Lawrence were not in this draft.  We have the 2nd pick in the draft.  Assuming Lawrence goes 1, just take the QB at 2.

Could Justin Fields Be The Future Of The New York Jets? - YouTube

So was Darnold. Just saying...

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

ok i get that you think it's an awful idea. Heck, even I think it's very Fantasy Football. But uplift the conversation, say WHY it's bad.

geez, can you actually present an idea more than "your idea sucks..."?! [not just you..]

Sorry if I was obnoxious.  But this is why I don't like the idea:  Wentz is on his second contract and it is MASSIVE.  it is much easier to build a winner with a QB on his rookie contract because you don't have to pay them 25 mil a year, which is a substantial portion of your salary cap.  And he is not that good. Unlike Darnold, he bombed out of an situation with a recent Super Bowl roster, a very good OL and better receivers.  And unlike Darnold, he apparently is disliked by his teammates.  I'd rather take a chance on a rookie.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

So may people are overthnking this.  Justin Fields would be a legit candidate for #1 overall if Lawrence were not in this draft.  We have the 2nd pick in the draft.  Assuming Lawrence goes 1, just take the QB at 2.

I dont get how hard this one is.  A guy who's been a top prospect for 3 years, has been ranked right behind Lawrence.  One game by a skinny kid against some HS team and it gets confusing?  Shouldnt 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, phill1c said:

why not? Darnold and Wentz each could use a change of scenery... and you get to draft the bookend OT and have a veteran QB competition.

It's funny that you think the same organization that whiffed on Darnold can be trusted not to f*ck up another young QB?!  no offense...

How about we start with a totally different GM is drafting now.

Not the same organization, so not really funny to think it could be differently.

Or the real funny part of the equation, trade one incompetent QB for another, at a bigger expense and think it will turn out better

I'd keep Darnold, hes younger

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

Sorry if I was obnoxious.  But this is why I don't like the idea:  Wentz is on his second contract and it is MASSIVE.  it is much easier to build a winner with a QB on his rookie contract because you don't have to pay them 25 mil a year, which is a substantial portion of your salary cap.  And he is not that good. Unlike Darnold, he bombed out of an situation with a recent Super Bowl roster, a very good OL and better receivers.  And unlike Darnold, he apparently is disliked by his teammates.  I'd rather take a chance on a rookie.  

Yeah, but you're asking the Jets franchise to build a team and QB, which they have shown no ability to do.

AND, the contract is not really a problem with all our cap room.

I think it's easier to build a QB with an OL advantage. I've always been a fan of building the other parts of the team before investing heavily in a QB. Are the Jets there? No. Would they be more there if they took a can't-miss OT as a bookend for the OL and their other 1st round pick on a pass-rusher? With Wentz and, say, Flacco the stabilizing vets on this win-some-now team?

I don't think I'm challenged by saying that's maybe an investment in the near future with proven competence at the QB spot. And I'm also not crazy to think that the Jets don't yet have the athletic roster that would support a new-fangled QB. And they come out every year...

Anyway, thanks for the football response..

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

So.  We swung and missed 3 years ago.  Does that mean you never swing again?

We have the two pick - no need to package picks and move up.  Plus we have 4 more top 100 picks.  Maybe 5 if we move Darnold.  And $80MM cap space.  And two more 1s next season.  We are in a much different position now than we were 3 years ago.  Plenty of resource to buld a good roster without passing on the QB prospect.  

I was just posing an alternative plan...for people like me who think you're better served picking an OL with #2 than a QB...for THIS Jets roster. I thought it was a HUGE mistake to draft Darnold because the Jets had no weapons and the worst OL in football. It's definitely better now but, really, not enough to make Darnold look good but definitely better than when Bowles left.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I was just posing an alternative plan...for people like me who think you're better served picking an OL with #2 than a QB...for THIS Jets roster. I thought it was a HUGE mistake to draft Darnold because the Jets had no weapons and the worst OL in football. It's definitely better now but, really, not enough to make Darnold look good but definitely better than when Bowles left.

No worries.  We just disagree.  I was high on Fields since end of last season, so I am not just reacting to a great game a couple of days ago. 

If I didn't think any of the QBs at 2 had potentital to be top 10 NFL QB, I would have no problem with trade for Wentz, but if we went that route, I would rather send a pick for Wentz and let him compete with Sam. 

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Yeah, but you're asking the Jets franchise to build a team and QB, which they have shown no ability to do.

AND, the contract is not really a problem with all our cap room.

I think it's easier to build a QB with an OL advantage. I've always been a fan of building the other parts of the team before investing heavily in a QB. Are the Jets there? No. Would they be more there if they took a can't-miss OT as a bookend for the OL and their other 1st round pick on a pass-rusher? With Wentz and, say, Flacco the stabilizing vets on this win-some-now team?

I don't think I'm challenged by saying that's maybe an investment in the near future with proven competence at the QB spot. And I'm also not crazy to think that the Jets don't yet have the athletic roster that would support a new-fangled QB. And they come out every year...

Anyway, thanks for the football response..

The problem is if you build the roster first you will never be picking as high as 2 and you will have a better roster with  a mediocre QB.  But in any event, Wentz is not the guy.  Or they would be playing him and not trying to dump him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

We just disagree.  I was high on Fields since end of last season, so I am not just reacting to a great game a couple of days ago. 

If I didn't think any of the QBs at 2 had potentital to be top 10 NFL QB, I would have no problem with trade for Wentz, but if we went that route, I would rather send a pick for Wentz and let him compete with Sam. 

Very reasonably so.

I was more reacting to "that's just dumb..." and "you're challenged.." non-responses. Sorry.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

So many people are overthnking this.  Justin Fields would be a legit candidate for #1 overall if Lawrence were not in this draft.  We have the 2nd pick in the draft.  Assuming Lawrence goes 1, just take the QB at 2.

So would Zack Wilson, who I think will be a much better NFL QB

• Sympathy 1

I dont get how hard this one is.  A guy who's been a top prospect for 3 years, has been ranked right behind Lawrence.  One game by a skinny kid against some HS team and it gets confusing?  Shouldnt 

Exactly, some people just over-complicate things just for the hell of it. I would be shocked if Fields isn’t picked at 2.
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, phill1c said:

I'm not a big fan of drafting 'elite' QBs before you have the rest of the team.

Hell, had Darnold been drafted by the Cowboys, he could be a pro bowler. 

LOL

Ok Ok, that's very farfetched!!

When are you going to start making dumb racial jokes to try to get me in trouble?

Schpeil is getting old.. we get it you love Fields .. fact is Wilson has played himself into the conversation against the competition he has been given.

Trade the 2 spot for a haul of picks, trade Darnold for whatever you can get ... or keep him ... draft Wilson or Trey Lance and bolster the rest of the team.

Seems logical to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Schpeil is getting old.. we get it you love Fields .. fact is Wilson has played himself into the conversation against the competition he has been given.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Schpeil?  For agreeing with a poster?  I've said all along I love Lawrence but would take Fields if that was the option available.  I gave my reasons, if anyone thinks its a schpeil they can use the ignore feature or skip over my posts in a QB conversation.  

Guess you dont like Fields, maybe Wilson...