Solve the QB Problem!!

phill1c

Schpeil?  For agreeing with a poster?  I've said all along I love Lawrence but would take Fields if that was the option available.  I gave my reasons, if anyone thinks its a schpeil they can use the ignore feature or skip over my posts in a QB conversation.  
Guess you dont like Fields, maybe Wilson...

I like both . And yes ... calling Wilson's opponents HS caliber is a Schpeil. Needlessly shutting down the concept that maybe Wilson will actually be the better pro is a Schpeil.

Wilson + boatload of picks could easily be the better value.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I like both . And yes ... calling Wilson's opponents HS caliber is a Schpeil. Needlessly shutting down the concept that maybe Wilson will actually be the better pro is a Schpeil.

Wilson + boatload of picks could easily be the better value.

No, calling UCF, Coastal Carolina, North Alabama etc weak competition compared to a Clemson is fact.  Questioning the love for a QB I bet you havent seen more than once or twice, who shot onto peoples radar throwing to wide open WRs vs Boise State is what needs to be evaluated.  

Add to it I've said its up to JD and what he sees in these guys and that the combine will probably be the deciding factor, not one game vs Clemson 

• Upvote 1

No, calling UCF, Coastal Carolina, North Alabama etc weak competition compared to a Clemson is fact.  Questioning the love for a QB I bet you havent seen more than once or twice, who shot onto peoples radar throwing to wide open WRs vs Boise State is what needs to be evaluated.  
Add to it I've said its up to JD and what he sees in these guys and that the combine will probably be the deciding factor, not one game vs Clemson 
Fair point ... and it is true that in only started looking at Wilson 2 months ago.

That being said... his arm talent appears significant/elite to me.

Fields will be a stud ... but I fear RG3 results as much as I'd hope for Russell Wilson results.

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Fair point ... and it is true that in only started looking at Wilson 2 months ago.

Fields will be a stud ... but I fear RG3 results as much as I'd hope for Russell Wilson results.

Love Wilsons arm talent.  But I lived through Nagle, I watched him stand on his goal line at Hofstra and throw a ball to the other goal line 100 yards away.  I watched him throw fastballs into the padding and leave dents.  I saw him throw a sidearm, half underhand pass for a strike against GB in the HOF game and I drooled and got excited.  Thats when I learned it takes a whole lot more than a big arm to win.  

29 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

RG3 had a few good/great years......playing while obviously badly injured was on his HC and that HC should be held criminally responsible.

Bottom line I'd happily take a few good years of RG3 type results at this point of this franchise.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Love Wilsons arm talent.  But I lived through Nagle, I watched him stand on his goal line at Hofstra and throw a ball to the other goal line 100 yards away.  I watched him throw fastballs into the padding and leave dents.  I saw him throw a sidearm, half underhand pass for a strike against GB in the HOF game and I drooled and got excited.  Thats when I learned it takes a whole lot more than a big arm to win.  

What is it about Wilson that makes you say he only has a big arm?

Because some QB 30 years with a big arm failed?

Wilson is going to be the best QB in the class.

I can't acknowledge Darnold as ever being a "Golden Boy".  Maybe in Darnold's mind,  his parent's, or those of dunces like Woody and Mcc.  But that was never the reality on the field.

My son was also trying to pitch me Wentz as an off-season signing.  I don't like the idea.  Yeah, he would probably play better than Darnold.  But he looks to be a fraction of the player from the 2017-18 season.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Take him at 2.

Agreed.  If Douglas loves one of these QBs.  Wilson or Fields.  Or if somehhow Lawrence is avaiable at 2.  Take the QB.  Don't get cute, trade back and risk losing your guy.  We are in a much different position to build around a QB than we were 3 years ago.  We have 4 more top 100 pick.  Plus two 1s next year.  And $80MM cap space.  Much different thatn the situation be brought Darnold into in 2018 when we had to give up a ton of draft captial to get him.

If you like a QB, take him at 2.  If you don't like the QB, then I would look to trade down.  If it is me, I am taking Fields at 2 without any hesitation.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Schpeil is getting old.. we get it you love Fields .. fact is Wilson has played himself into the conversation against the competition he has been given.

Trade the 2 spot for a haul of picks, trade Darnold for whatever you can get ... or keep him ... draft Wilson or Trey Lance and bolster the rest of the team.

Seems logical to me.

Problem with trading out with the intention of getting Wilson is he has a chance of going top 5.   

I loved Lance at the start of the season.  He hasn't played this year.  it would take a lot of chops to turn a team over to him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don't like to judge a player on one game but yesterday was a microcosm of the entire season for Sam. He at times moved the ball but there were long gaps in offensive productivity and turnovers. And little scoring.  I thought his recent improvement might have given some reason to the idea of sticking with him for 2021. The learning curve for a new Qb is usually at least one season and that often means absorbing some Ls. So you'd rather go with an experienced  young Qb who went through that trial period and can produce on a regular basis. Not keep drafting new Qbs every three years. But if Jets want to move on from Sam I have no prob with it. Maybe explore the market for vet Qbs and draft someone with the Seattle no. 1 pick if there is a player they like still on the board. But I don't use that overall 2 on a Qb other than Lawrence. I'd try to trade down and rebuild a team with many weaknesses. One reason Sam not that good is because the team is not that good. 

12 hours ago, Lith said:

So many people are overthnking this.  Justin Fields would be a legit candidate for #1 overall if Lawrence were not in this draft.  We have the 2nd pick in the draft.  Assuming Lawrence goes 1, just take the QB at 2.

Could Justin Fields Be The Future Of The New York Jets? - YouTube

Yep

I’ve been a big supporter the last few weeks of trading down and building up the rest of the roster, but I can’t see that happening.

Lawrence will be a Jag. Fields will be a Jet.

Darnold is as good as gone

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't like to judge a player on one game but yesterday was a microcosm of the entire season for Sam. He at times moved the ball but there were long gaps in offensive productivity and turnovers. And little scoring.  I thought his recent improvement might have given some reason to the idea of sticking with him for 2021. The learning curve for a new Qb is usually at least one season and that often means absorbing some Ls. So you'd rather go with an experienced  young Qb who went through that trial period and can produce on a regular basis. Not keep drafting new Qbs every three years. But if Jets want to move on from Sam I have no prob with it. Maybe explore the market for vet Qbs and draft someone with the Seattle no. 1 pick if there is a player they like still on the board. But I don't use that overall 2 on a Qb other than Lawrence. I'd try to trade down and rebuild a team with many weaknesses. One reason Sam not that good is because the team is not that good. 

I was really rooting for Sam to have a big day.  Zero pressure game.  I wanted to see him sling it.  He seems like whatever little kid gunslinger that made him want to be a QB has been sucked right out of him.  The stage is too big for him.  He seems more afraid of failing than confident he can succeed.  

It was kind of sad.  At the base level your playing a game and it should be fun.  Sam looks tortured.  

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, phill1c said:

I say we solve the QB problem this way:

Trade Darnold for Carson Wentz.

Sure, both kinda suck. Both had the Golden Boy title at one point. That way, you let Flacco and Wentz fight it out AND you give them a bookend OT tandem. Sign Scherff or equivalent and your OL is complete.

disgusted mikey day GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

What is it about Wilson that makes you say he only has a big arm?

Because some QB 30 years with a big arm failed?

Wilson is going to be the best QB in the class. - read.

And yes, because were hired a coordinator that failed we would do

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I keep hearing morgan could be tom brady we just dont know....

I mean common sense tells you he is just like hackenberg but fans here said many times joe knows what he is doing ....

Many think Ozzie Newsome Joe's teacher was a great GM. When the Browns team moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens it took him 5 years to win a Bowl and that was with one of the best defenses of all time. His first draft in 1996 was Johnathan Ogden and Ray Lewis with 2 1st rd picks.. I'm also in the Joe knows what he's doing camp and with the money and picks we have it's possible to compete for the playoffs next season if the right coaching etc can be found IMO.. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I was really rooting for Sam to have a big day.  Zero pressure game.  I wanted to see him sling it.  He seems like whatever little kid gunslinger that made him want to be a QB has been sucked right out of him.  The stage is too big for him.  He seems more afraid of failing than confident he can succeed.  

It was kind of sad.  At the base level your playing a game and it should be fun.  Sam looks tortured.  

He is just playing lousy football. He's not the only Qb who has had a bad year. Even excellent Qbs throw picks, pick 6s and make bad plays. But what sticks out esp are the long periods of lack of offense by this team. There are significant dry spells and he is a big part of this. He was not selected by Douglas so he might be willing to part with him and choose his own Qb. But if they keep him there should be a Qb competition next training camp not just hand him the job. If we don't draft somebody sign a good vet Qb not sure if Flacco qualifies for that. 

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  If Douglas loves one of these QBs.  Wilson or Fields.  Or if somehhow Lawrence is avaiable at 2.  Take the QB.  Don't get cute, trade back and risk losing your guy.  We are in a much different position to build around a QB than we were 3 years ago.  We have 4 more top 100 pick.  Plus two 1s next year.  And $80MM cap space.  Much different thatn the situation be brought Darnold into in 2018 when we had to give up a ton of draft captial to get him.

If you like a QB, take him at 2.  If you don't like the QB, then I would look to trade down.  If it is me, I am taking Fields at 2 without any hesitation.

I haven't looked deeply into this draft class yet but I am getting jazzed over the ideas you're expressing.  New HC, new/revamped roster......it's getting easier being green. :)     

So the options are....

1. Overpay for Philly's dud QB who just got a huge contract and who they're trying to replace

2. Keep our dud QB who is still on a rookie deal but look to upgrade him

3. Draft a new QB who would be an unknown but have upside and would be a on a cheap rookie contract.

For a rebuilding team like the Jets I think I know my answer....and it's not 1 or 2. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1