Trading for Carson Wentz seems like the obvious move for Douglas

Been a fan of the game for forever now and have you ever seen so many good QB's become available? This offseason Stafford, Wentz and Sam Darnold are all likely to be traded. I like Stafford but he won't want to come here at his age. Guys like him and Ryan are in their last few years. I've see these types of trades. Guys like Sam I consider similar to Rosen or Garropolo. These are QB's that really have not proven themselves at all. This happens pretty often. 

Carson Wentz being traded usually just does not happen. He has 3 very good years in the books with an MVP type season with no weapons. He is prototypical size, has a good arm and is still very young. The only time I've seen this type of trade is the Ryan Tannehill trade. That cost the Titans a 4th rounder and I would assume Wentz cost somewhere in that price range. 

Even if Wentz cost a 3rd rounder how is not the obvious move?  A few things to consider:

1. Age - Wentz turned 28 a few days ago. He is still super young for a QB. Similar to Tannehill. 

2. Contract - I don't see this as an issue as we have plenty of cap room, theres an out in his contract after next year and hes already said he would renog a contract. 

3. Stats - This guy was ranked as the 8th QB overall coming into the year. The Eagles have never given him any WR except for Ertz and this year that whole team was injured. Look at his career stats outside of this year and you'll see a guy that could put up a top 10 season any year moving forward. His INT were 7 the last few years before this disaster. 

4. Bust Rate at QB in the Draft - Fields looked great the other night. But is he just a better Haskins? Is Zach Wilson's Labrum going to tear again when hes getting sacked 50 times next year? Half of the QB's drafted bust. Its just a fact. Wentz is not going to bust. We know what he is and for his price (3rd or 4th rounder) the risk is so low. 

5. Connection with Joe Douglas - Joe just came from the Eagles. Pretty Obvious no?

This is a very rare situation just like  Tannehill's situation where you could steal a Franchise QB for nothing. Just like Tannehill he looks like total crap this year surrounded by injuries and terrible coaching. Pederson has sucked without Reich. The cost to acquire him is likely little and it avoids the whole "Draft the wrong QB and Fire everyone 2 years from now". 

Take Sewell or Ransom Fields for multiple first and we are competing for the east next year. If things break right we get a young Franchise QB for nothing just like the Titans did. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 24
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Been a fan of the game for forever now and have you ever seen so many good QB's become available? This offseason Stafford, Wentz and Sam Darnold are all likely to be traded. I like Stafford but he won't want to come here at his age. Guys like him and Ryan are in their last few years. I've see these types of trades. Guys like Sam I consider similar to Rosen or Garropolo. These are QB's that really have not proven themselves at all. This happens pretty often. 

Carson Wentz being traded usually just does not happen. He has 3 very good years in the books with an MVP type season with no weapons. He is prototypical size, has a good arm and is still very young. The only time I've seen this type of trade is the Ryan Tannehill trade. That cost the Titans a 4th rounder and I would assume Wentz cost somewhere in that price range. 

Even if Wentz cost a 3rd rounder how is not the obvious move?  A few things to consider:

1. Age - Wentz turned 28 a few days ago. He is still super young for a QB. Similar to Tannehill. 

2. Contract - I don't see this as an issue as we have plenty of cap room, theres an out in his contract after next year and hes already said he would renog a contract. 

3. Stats - This guy was ranked as the 8th QB overall coming into the year. The Eagles have never given him any WR except for Ertz and this year that whole team was injured. Look at his career stats outside of this year and you'll see a guy that could put up a top 10 season any year moving forward. His INT were 7 the last few years before this disaster. 

4. Bust Rate at QB in the Draft - Fields looked great the other night. But is he just a better Haskins? Is Zach Wilson's Labrum going to tear again when hes getting sacked 50 times next year? Half of the QB's drafted bust. Its just a fact. Wentz is not going to bust. We know what he is and for his price (3rd or 4th rounder) the risk is so low. 

5. Connection with Joe Douglas - Joe just came from the Eagles. Pretty Obvious no?

This is a very rare situation just like  Tannehill's situation where you could steal a Franchise QB for nothing. Just like Tannehill he looks like total crap this year surrounded by injuries and terrible coaching. Pederson has sucked without Reich. The cost to acquire him is likely little and it avoids the whole "Draft the wrong QB and Fire everyone 2 years from now". 

Take Sewell or Ransom Fields for multiple first and we are competing for the east next year. If things break right we get a young Franchise QB for nothing just like the Titans did. 

How you seen him play this year? He makes Sam look like Joe Montana.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, pointman said:

bwahahahahaha Carson Wentz bwahahahaha that guy is straight toilet water. I'd rather of Carson Palmer and we all know how bad he is. 

Bus station or private home?

7 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Just imagine they did throw in a pick. You’d have to listen...no?

Back to Sashi Brown he ate Schaubb’s contract for a pick. Fired. Fact is the $50M or whatever left on Wentz’s deal is worth way more than multiple firsts. I’d need like 5 firsts to eat a contract like that with a player that looks done.

edit: sorry it was osweiler, not Schaub 

• Upvote 1

The fact that JD has a history with Carson Wentz this may have some merit. 

JD wants to part ways with Sam Darnold. 

JD is not intrigued with any of the QB's other than TL in the 2021 NFL draft. 

JD would rather roll with Wentz and Morgan and use the #2 or  trade down or draft a playmaker. 

10 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

They panned exactly the same thing I suggested in another thread (didn't see yours).

lol

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

At a loss why such a trade would be "obvious". 

It actually is the worst possible QB decision we could make. I can’t believe all the Wentz buzz I’m seeing on this board. Dude is terrible with an albatross contract: How to ruin a franchise 101.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Thanks for the write up, but it's not happening.

Joe wants to stick with Darnold. If he's acquiring another QB it will be at #2. 

Yup.

Anyone that wants someone not named Sam has to hope that Fields or Wilson change Douglas’s mind in the next few months (which is very possible) or that the head coaching candidates want to move on and start with their own guy (also very possible).

Buckle up buckaroos.  We’re just getting started.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There is precedent to this, I.E. the Brock Osweiler trade a few years back.  

I would 100 % take on Philly's "salary ballast" for the right price.

Edited my comment above mistakenly listed as Schaub. When Sashi ate Osweiler’s salary it was “only” $16M. I remember at the time, pundits were saying how clever a move it was by the Browns. “Money ball mentality” blah blah blah. Seemed pretty expensive for a second rounder.  This is a salary cap league after all. Thought it was downright dumb, actually. So what would it cost to eat $50M? $70M?

Multiple (as in at least 3) first rounders you gotta think. And even then I wouldn’t do it. You ain’t hitting on all those picks so you’re laying that cash for 1 maybe 2 good players? I’d want 5 first rounders if I was a GM honestly. Which obviously would never happen.

• Upvote 1