Trading for Carson Wentz seems like the obvious move for Douglas

16 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Been a fan of the game for forever now and have you ever seen so many good QB's become available? This offseason Stafford, Wentz and Sam Darnold are all likely to be traded. I like Stafford but he won't want to come here at his age. Guys like him and Ryan are in their last few years. I've see these types of trades. Guys like Sam I consider similar to Rosen or Garropolo. These are QB's that really have not proven themselves at all. This happens pretty often. 

Carson Wentz being traded usually just does not happen. He has 3 very good years in the books with an MVP type season with no weapons. He is prototypical size, has a good arm and is still very young. The only time I've seen this type of trade is the Ryan Tannehill trade. That cost the Titans a 4th rounder and I would assume Wentz cost somewhere in that price range. 

Even if Wentz cost a 3rd rounder how is not the obvious move?  A few things to consider:

1. Age - Wentz turned 28 a few days ago. He is still super young for a QB. Similar to Tannehill. 

2. Contract - I don't see this as an issue as we have plenty of cap room, theres an out in his contract after next year and hes already said he would renog a contract. 

3. Stats - This guy was ranked as the 8th QB overall coming into the year. The Eagles have never given him any WR except for Ertz and this year that whole team was injured. Look at his career stats outside of this year and you'll see a guy that could put up a top 10 season any year moving forward. His INT were 7 the last few years before this disaster. 

4. Bust Rate at QB in the Draft - Fields looked great the other night. But is he just a better Haskins? Is Zach Wilson's Labrum going to tear again when hes getting sacked 50 times next year? Half of the QB's drafted bust. Its just a fact. Wentz is not going to bust. We know what he is and for his price (3rd or 4th rounder) the risk is so low. 

5. Connection with Joe Douglas - Joe just came from the Eagles. Pretty Obvious no?

This is a very rare situation just like  Tannehill's situation where you could steal a Franchise QB for nothing. Just like Tannehill he looks like total crap this year surrounded by injuries and terrible coaching. Pederson has sucked without Reich. The cost to acquire him is likely little and it avoids the whole "Draft the wrong QB and Fire everyone 2 years from now". 

Take Sewell or Ransom Fields for multiple first and we are competing for the east next year. If things break right we get a young Franchise QB for nothing just like the Titans did. 

NOT happening skippy.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Edited my comment above mistakenly listed as Schaub. When Sashi ate Osweiler’s salary it was “only” $16M. I remember at the time, pundits was saying how clever a move it was by the Browns. “Money all mentality” blah blah blah s Seemed pretty expensive for a second rounder. Thought it was downright dumb, actually. So what would it cost to eat $50M? $70M?

Multiple (as in at least 3) first rounders you gotta think. And even then I wouldn’t do it. You ain’t hitting on all those picks so you’re lying that case for 2 maybe 2 good players? I’d want 5 first rounders if I was a GM honestly. Which obviously would never happen.

$16M is a small price to pay for a 2nd rounder when you have a ton of cap space.  It's not the GM's money, after all.  Adding Osweiler didn't prevent them from adding someone they wanted.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

$16M is a small price to pay for a 2nd rounder when you have a ton of cap space.  It's not the GM's money, after all.  Adding Osweiler didn't prevent them from adding someone they wanted.

I guess these deals are possible because you value something the other guy has more than he does and visa versa. But $16M seems too much for a 2nd to me. Especially considering Browns returned a 4th in the deal, I believe. But I guess your point is if it’s a “use it or lose it” cash situation, sure why not. Like the office Christmas party is always as nice as whatever extra budget the departments have before year end.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I guess these deals are possible because you value something the other guy has more than he does and visa versa. But $16M seems too much for a 2nd to me. Especially considering Browns returned a 4th in the deal, I believe. But I guess your point is if it’s a “use it or lose it” cash situation, sure why not. Like the office Christmas party is always as nice as whatever extra budget the departments have before year end.

Because that kind of trade had not been previously attempted in the NFL, I imagine that played a role in dampening what Cleveland could get.  It's a regular occurrence in the NBA, of course. 

A shrewd negotiator probably could have gotten the 2nd rounder plus another late pick rather than having to give back a 4th.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because that kind of trade had not been previously attempted in the NFL, I imagine that played a role in dampening what Cleveland could get.  It's a regular occurrence in the NBA, of course. 

A shrewd negotiator probably could have gotten the 2nd rounder plus another late pick rather than having to give back a 4th.  

GMs tend to overrate their drafting ability. Of course you wouldn’t want a GM who wasn’t fully confident.

• Upvote 1

If we don’t go qb at 2, I’d much rather take a shot on Winston, mariota, or maybe even Jacoby brissett. Those guys can be had on short term deals that would be team friendly. If they pull off a tannenhill, great, if they don’t your team isn’t crushed while you wait for the contract to expire. Even if wentz is willing to restructure his contract, that guy is owed so much money I cannot see him restructuring it in a way that makes the risk worth it. I love the idea of using that number 2 pick to trade down and accumulate more picks and maybe gambling on another qb with some upside but wentz’ ink on his contract just dried. No way is he the guy I’d be ok with this team gambling on.

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

Massive contract. Hitting on a QB when they’re on their rookie deal is as close to easy mode as the NFL gets. Gotta go for it.

Absolutely true - If you hit on rookie QB its amazing. If Douglas misses though hes getting fired and we are firing the incoming HC and rebuilding again in 2-3 years. 

Wentz Contract is terrible for the eagles but wouldn't be for us. 25m is the standard contract for any starting NFL QB. 

The question is would anyone trade for Wentz? While the Wentz contract averages $32 million a year its important to remember that the Eagles paid a good chunk of that money already. For a team trading for Wentz the contract would work out to be four years, $98.4 million or $24.6 million a season. The first two years of that contract would basically be guaranteed and the remainder would be in the control of the team that trades for him. The cap figures on the contract would be $25.4 million, $22 million, $25 million, and $26 million.

To put the numbers in perspective those cap figures in 2021 and 2022 would rank 11th and 13th in the NFL. The contract value would be in line with Teddy Bridgewater ($21M a year, $42M over first two years) and Nick Foles’ Jaguars contract ($22M a year, $46.625M a year) so it is perfectly fine for someone likely considered a low level starter if he was a free agent.

https://overthecap.com/the-eagles-options-with-carson-wentz/

The deal would be absolutely fine for the Jets. However Wentz has already stated he would renegotiate. Jason OTC - Amazing Article above and you should def bump it as the offseason approaches. 

30 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Been a fan of the game for forever now and have you ever seen so many good QB's become available? This offseason Stafford, Wentz and Sam Darnold are all likely to be traded. I like Stafford but he won't want to come here at his age. Guys like him and Ryan are in their last few years. I've see these types of trades. Guys like Sam I consider similar to Rosen or Garropolo. These are QB's that really have not proven themselves at all. This happens pretty often. 

Carson Wentz being traded usually just does not happen. He has 3 very good years in the books with an MVP type season with no weapons. He is prototypical size, has a good arm and is still very young. The only time I've seen this type of trade is the Ryan Tannehill trade. That cost the Titans a 4th rounder and I would assume Wentz cost somewhere in that price range. 

Even if Wentz cost a 3rd rounder how is not the obvious move?  A few things to consider:

1. Age - Wentz turned 28 a few days ago. He is still super young for a QB. Similar to Tannehill. 

2. Contract - I don't see this as an issue as we have plenty of cap room, theres an out in his contract after next year and hes already said he would renog a contract. 

3. Stats - This guy was ranked as the 8th QB overall coming into the year. The Eagles have never given him any WR except for Ertz and this year that whole team was injured. Look at his career stats outside of this year and you'll see a guy that could put up a top 10 season any year moving forward. His INT were 7 the last few years before this disaster. 

4. Bust Rate at QB in the Draft - Fields looked great the other night. But is he just a better Haskins? Is Zach Wilson's Labrum going to tear again when hes getting sacked 50 times next year? Half of the QB's drafted bust. Its just a fact. Wentz is not going to bust. We know what he is and for his price (3rd or 4th rounder) the risk is so low. 

5. Connection with Joe Douglas - Joe just came from the Eagles. Pretty Obvious no?

This is a very rare situation just like  Tannehill's situation where you could steal a Franchise QB for nothing. Just like Tannehill he looks like total crap this year surrounded by injuries and terrible coaching. Pederson has sucked without Reich. The cost to acquire him is likely little and it avoids the whole "Draft the wrong QB and Fire everyone 2 years from now". 

Take Sewell or Ransom Fields for multiple first and we are competing for the east next year. If things break right we get a young Franchise QB for nothing just like the Titans did. 

Would be the worst possible way to start a new era. We will draft the QB the new HC likes the most

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

How you seen him play this year? He makes Sam look like Joe Montana.

Wentz looks absolutely horrible this year. That is why a former MVP candidate at 28 yrs old at QB will be available for nothing. 

The Eagles lost most of their Oline this year to injury. All their WR hurt. TE's hurt. They were starting street FA's at WR. Travis Fulgam was getting over 10 targets a game for awhile. 

Wentz has had really good years before this. Outside of his rookie year his TD/INT numbers have been:

33/7

21/7

27/7

Many QB's drafted top 10 will never have those numbers. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Wentz looks absolutely horrible this year. That is why a former MVP candidate at 28 yrs old at QB will be available for nothing. 

The Eagles lost most of their Oline this year to injury. All their WR hurt. TE's hurt. They were starting street FA's at WR. Travis Fulgam was getting over 10 targets a game for awhile. 

Wentz has had really good years before this. Outside of his rookie year his TD/INT numbers have been:

33/7

21/7

27/7

Many QB's drafted top 10 will never have those numbers. 

For what it’s worth, I still like Wentz and think he has a much better shot of being a longtime franchise QB than Darnold does - if only because he has proven before that he can consistently play at a very high level in the NFL

8 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Absolutely true - If you hit on rookie QB its amazing. If Douglas misses though hes getting fired and we are firing the incoming HC and rebuilding again in 2-3 years. 

Wentz Contract is terrible for the eagles but wouldn't be for us. 25m is the standard contract for any starting NFL QB. 

The deal would be absolutely fine for the Jets. However Wentz has already stated he would renegotiate. Jason OTC - Amazing Article above and you should def bump it as the offseason approaches. 

25m a year is still too much to gamble. He’s shown that he has talent but the red flags with this guy? A professional would of kept his mouth shut while his team was fighting for a playoff spot and waited until the off season to start talking about trades. It sounds like his team mates and coaches think he’s an entitled brat that lacks leadership qualities and professionalism. This guy cracked under pressure when the franchise drafted hurts. You know who else that happened to this passed year? Aaron Rodgers. What did he do when the organization brought in legit competition? He stepped up and probably won an MVP award this year and has his team sitting with a first round bye. The talent appears to be there with wentz but this guy is weak minded. You can’t be mentally fragile and succeed in NY. This is not the right place for him to bounce back. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Shockwave, are you Carson Wentz?  Tell the truth 

33 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yup.

Anyone that wants someone not named Sam has to hope that Fields or Wilson change Douglas’s mind in the next few months (which is very possible) or that the head coaching candidates want to move on and start with their own guy (also very possible).

Buckle up buckaroos.  We’re just getting started.

Joe Douglas Spent the majority of his Career in Baltimore. 

How many QB's did Baltimore take top 5? Zero.  How many QB's did they take top 10? Zero. How many QB's did they take top 15? Zero? 

Thats in 15 years. 

No offense to you at all but anyone thats hearing were sticking with Sam next year is just smoke to increase his trade value. Similar to how we wanted to keep Jamal or Stick with Gase which are both things Joe has said this very year. 

No idea if who we actually go for but Douglas is not your prototypical GM. I would think he's smart enough to know if he misses a QB at 2 he's getting fired. With the rate of which QB's bust in the top 10 its pretty much playing Russian roulette with your job. 

Whatever, I'll play: Philly just put in Nate Sudfeld instead of Wentz.  Think about that, Nate F***ing Sudfeld instead of their 100+ mil under 30 "rock star QB."  If Douglas trades for Philly,  at worst it should be a straight up salary dump a la Brock Oswieler and he better get a 1st rounder MINIMUM! 

41 minutes ago, extmenace said:

... The talent appears to be there with wentz but this guy is weak minded. You can’t be mentally fragile and succeed in NY. This is not the right place for him to bounce back. 

Agree, I think him watching Foles win it all, really did a number on his his head

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

At a loss why such a trade would be "obvious". 

Joe Douglas was with the Eagles in 2016, 2017 and 2018. 

Wentz was drafted in 2016. Avg rookie season. 

In 2017 Wentz threw for 33 TD's/7 int and a QB rating of 101 and got some MVP hype. In 2018 Wentz also played well with 21 TD/7 Int and a QB rating of 101 in 11 games. 

He obv has a relationship with that FO and knows this QB on a personal basis as they were in the same locker room. Same reason hell be linked to the Colts in the offseason bc of Reich. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

JD watched the same NY Jets football we all watched this season. 

Why would he want to stick with Sam Darnold. 

As critical as I have been of Joe, I cannot imagine he rolls with Darnold again. Every move he has made says he wants his own guy. To go with Darnold would be such a bizzare move that would not make any sense.

8 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I’m for trading for Wentz under to conditions, we receive compensation AND he is brought in as competition, not as the anointed starter 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There is precedent to this, I.E. the Brock Osweiler trade a few years back.  

I would 100 % take on Philly's "salary ballast" for the right price.

We have a ton of available cap money, and JD doesn't strike me as the type to go on a free agent spending spree. If the Eagles threw in a package of draft picks to go with Wentz, it's something worth considering.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sourceworx said:

We have a ton of available cap money, and JD doesn't strike me as the type to go on a free agent spending spree. If the Eagles threw in a package of draft picks to go with Wentz, it's something worth considering.

Bring in Wentz and his boy Ertz.  

• Upvote 1