It’s Daboll and Fields

A lot can change from now til the draft.  Fields lights it up again against Bama, his stock goes up.  He has a great combine.  Goes up more. Nothing written in stone that TL goes number one. We need to focus on the coaching staff and worry about the draft once the staff is in place 

1 hour ago, WhartonJet said:

I wrote back in November that Justin Fields would be the best QB from this draft class, and should be our choice (even when we had the #1 pick).

His game translates so much better to the NFL than Trevor Lawrence.  Fields is a true dual threat QB (he’ll run in the 4.4s at the combine), is built like a tank, throws the ball downfield accurately, and is exceptional on third downs.  He consistently throws the ball beyond the sticks and runs for first downs.  He is excellent in the red zone too.  The Clemson offense throws so many bubble screens to Etienne and their receivers and Lawrence does not throw the deep ball as accurately as Fields.  I think Trevor will have a good career, but Fields is the prize.

Next...on to the coaching hire.  I am surprised that so many on this board are advocating for Matt Campbell, Martindale, Bienemy, or ANYONE not named Brian Daboll.  Just like Justin Fields is the guy, Daboll is so clearly THE GUY.  He had the backup QB marching up and down the field today.  His schemes are brilliant, always has receivers running open, and has actually (gasp) developed a raw player in Josh Allen into an MVP candidate.  We weaken the division opponent who is our biggest competition going forward and gain invaluable knowledge about what Buffalo is doing.

Fields and Daboll - get onboard

make it so patrick stewart GIF

The Daboll love-fest is absolutely baffling, for a guy who prior to the last 4 months had an entire coaching career that was a complete mess, with the only highlights being as Unnamed NE Assistant #47.  Everywhere else he went was a train-wreck that repeatedly saw him getting canned with great haste.

Credit where it's due, Buffalo stepped it up this year, but the entire argument for that being reason enough for this guy to supposedly be ready for HC is looking at nothing beyond this one complete outlier from the rest of his career, which occurred in the most peculiar of all NFL seasons.  Betting everything on that is far from a formula for success, particularly given the recent supposed QB guru proclamations that never existed before this season, comes with serious questions when others have been regularly cited for Allen's improvements, and his only time coaching QBs was when he was completely useless at the job with the Jets.

Daboll is dead last on the list of "hot" names as far as I'm concerned.  The sudden infatuation for whichever guy just happened to finally have one good season on their entire resume is almost always a disastrous hire throughout the league.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

I wrote back in November that Justin Fields would be the best QB from this draft class, and should be our choice (even when we had the #1 pick).

His game translates so much better to the NFL than Trevor Lawrence.  Fields is a true dual threat QB (he’ll run in the 4.4s at the combine), is built like a tank, throws the ball downfield accurately, and is exceptional on third downs.  He consistently throws the ball beyond the sticks and runs for first downs.  He is excellent in the red zone too.  The Clemson offense throws so many bubble screens to Etienne and their receivers and Lawrence does not throw the deep ball as accurately as Fields.  I think Trevor will have a good career, but Fields is the prize.

Next...on to the coaching hire.  I am surprised that so many on this board are advocating for Matt Campbell, Martindale, Bienemy, or ANYONE not named Brian Daboll.  Just like Justin Fields is the guy, Daboll is so clearly THE GUY.  He had the backup QB marching up and down the field today.  His schemes are brilliant, always has receivers running open, and has actually (gasp) developed a raw player in Josh Allen into an MVP candidate.  We weaken the division opponent who is our biggest competition going forward and gain invaluable knowledge about what Buffalo is doing.

You appear to be 100% correct, as Jags seem to be on the fence a little bit from what I am hearing......He is a Jags prospect, instead of simply a player in the draft.

The magic Daboll worked with Allen? Would make him HC in a heartbeat......

People are forgetting, Allen was missing routine throws......Darnold can at least make routine throws.......And now, this dude is a MVP canidate?

Daboll the true MVP here.

21 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Daboll love-fest is absolutely baffling, for a guy who prior to the last 4 months had an entire coaching career that was a complete mess, with the only highlights being as Unnamed NE Assistant #47.  Everywhere else he went was a train-wreck that repeatedly saw him getting canned with great haste.

Credit where it's due, Buffalo stepped it up this year, but the entire argument for that being reason enough for this guy to supposedly be ready for HC is looking at nothing beyond this one complete outlier from the rest of his career, which occurred in the most particular of all NFL seasons.  Betting everything on that is far from a formula for success, particularly given the recent supposed QB guru proclamations that never existed before this season, comes with serious questions when others have been regularly cited for Allen's improvements, and his only time coaching QBs was when he was completely useless at the job with the Jets.

Daboll is dead last on the list of "hot" names as far as I'm concerned.  The sudden infatuation for whichever guy just happened to finally have one good season on their entire resume is almost always a disastrous hire throughout the league.

Good points

I think it is due to Josh Allen.....This guy was not very good.....until Daboll comes along.

I like Daboll, would hire. But, who do I really want? Not sure.....gotta think about it.........Gotta be offensive minded though.

1 minute ago, GothamLurker said:

Good points

I think it is due to Josh Allen.....This guy was not very good.....until Daboll comes along.

I like Daboll, would hire. But, who do I really want? Not sure.....gotta think about it.........Gotta be offensive minded though.

Daboll has been around for as long as Allen, meaning he was also the coach when Allen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  It's simply that Daboll's first 2 years in Buffalo are ignored in these discussions because, much like the rest of his coaching career, they did not go well.

The entire pitch for Daboll is based on the argument that he is completely responsible for Allen's turnaround this year, despite no other evidence from his entire coaching career to support such an expertise, while it also being in a year where players were spending more time than ever with their own coaches-for-hire, given the complete lack of offseasons the teams were able to have.  I can't really hold that alone against him, as it's impossible to really prove either way, but considering it's pretty much the only thing he's got on his resume for HC, that's a bit unsettling.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out anything that would support him as the right guy, that existed prior to the past 4 months, and I'm just not seeing it at all.

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Naah. 

It's not the worst plan out there, but it's definately plan B. Roman is a better coach and TLaw is the better Qb  If it ends up this way due to the aspects out of our comtrol, so be it. Again, there are much worst plans. Like taking a DT or S up top. But I would be much more confident in plan A. 

In what areas? Because I don’t see a large gap, I actually have Fields higher because of the toughness factor but anything other than that is splitting hairs imo ?‍♂️

10 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

maybe.  won't they have to wait until after the playoffs to interview unless the bills give permission?  if they don't name a coach in the next two weeks then it could be daboll or smith are the main targets.

10 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Positive outlook category: Campbell, Daboll, Smith, or Martindale

Worth a shot category but not ideal: Fitzgerald, Day, Brady, Beinnamy, Roman, Colts DC, Mullen

Kill me now: Lewis, Caldwell

Ehhhhh I would have to throw Wink in the “worth a shot category” but otherwise agree! Also would put Saleh in the worth a shot category as well. I would prefer an established HC but it’s slim pickings in that category 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rayzor said:

Daboll is definitely on the top of my list.  I'd be ok with Fields or Wilson.  If Daboll is a hot commodity, i worry he could spurn the Jets.  Maybe his experience working for the Johnsons in the past soured him on the organization.

It's not about the Johnsons FINALLY, they are doing the right thing putting Joe Douglas out front of the coaching search. 

This hire will be all about their comfort level of working with Joe Douglas with a multitude of assets to work with including the all important #2 in the draft to take a QB they both agree on. 

This is the best position for a head coaching search that we've ever been in. Even Parcells came in with a timeframe in the back of his mind & pulled a super nova leaving us with a scorched earth short term success. 

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe.  won't they have to wait until after the playoffs to interview unless the bills give permission?  if they don't name a coach in the next two weeks then it could be daboll or smith are the main targets.

No they can interview now I believe.  They changed that rule to help assistants from teamsget interviewed if their teams deep into the playoffs and missing out on interviews and jobs.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Ehhhhh I would have to throw Wink in the “worth a shot category” but otherwise agree! Also would put Saleh in the worth a shot category as well. I would prefer an established HC but it’s slim pickings in that category 

I forgot about Saleh, but he has been linked to the lions for months now.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

It's not about the Johnsons FINALLY, they are doing the right thing putting Joe Douglas out front of the coaching search

"Ownership decided against a complete overhaul, opting to retain embattled general manager Mike Maccagnan, who was hired the same day as Bowles in 2015.

Bowles and Maccagnan were thought to be a tandem -- their contracts run concurrently -- but the general manager was spared, in part, because he flipped the roster in a massive rebuild and acquired promising quarterback Sam Darnold.

Maccagnan will work closely with CEO Christopher Johnson in the search for Bowles' replacement, the team said."

SAR I

10 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Credit where it's due, Buffalo stepped it up this year, but the entire argument for that being reason enough for this guy to supposedly be ready for HC is looking at nothing beyond this one complete outlier from the rest of his career, which occurred in the most peculiar of all NFL seasons.  Betting everything on that is far from a formula for success, particularly given the recent supposed QB guru proclamations that never existed before this season, comes with serious questions when others have been regularly cited for Allen's improvements, and his only time coaching QBs was when he was completely useless at the job with the Jets.

Whoa!  Damn!  Not so fast!  lol

I've said before, I cant pretend to know who's going to be a better coach between; Beineimy, Daboll or Smith or any Coordinator for that matter. 

Let's be real, no fan has enough info to really know how this would pan out.  I like the idea of a HC with NFL HC'ing experience but that list isnt exactly sexy.  So I'm kind of like, whatever, let's do it with the OC's.  I know the only shining example of when we've gone that direction is Kotite but that shouldnt keep you from never trying again.  There was a pretty good amount of success around the league with guys who were coordinators before the current job.  The playoffs for example; Ried, Carroll, Rivera and Arians are the only coaches to have been an HC before this job.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Whoa!  Damn!  Not so fast!  lol

I've said before, I cant pretend to know who's going to be a better coach between; Beineimy, Daboll or Smith or any Coordinator for that matter. 

Let's be real, no fan has enough info to really know how this would pan out.  I like the idea of a HC with NFL HC'ing experience but that list isnt exactly sexy.  So I'm kind of like, whatever, let's do it with the OC's.  I know the only shining example of when we've gone that direction is Kotite but that shouldnt keep you from never trying again.  There was a pretty good amount of success around the league with guys who were coordinators before the current job.  The playoffs for example; Ried, Carroll, Rivera and Arians are the only coaches to have been an HC before this job.  

Oh yeah, I could absolutely be totally wrong on this one, but then again, that argument could be made for just about everything we debate around here.  That same unknown could similarly be applied to the lovefest Daboll's suddenly getting here based on nothing more than 4 months of a 20+ year coaching career.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not nearly as down on Daboll as I was on Gase 2 years ago, but the truth is that after Marvin Lewis, the record-holding worst postseason coach in NFL history, Daboll is at the bottom of the list for me of the names that have come up this year.  The only thing he's got going for him is if he's single-handedly credited for the turnaround of Josh Allen, which happened over the course of the same offseason where they were hardly ever allowed to see one another, and Allen was instead paying for the coaching prowess of the immortal Jordan Palmer.

I'm not going to pretend to know how well Daboll as a HC will work out based on all of this alone, but if we're guessing based on the information we have available, the point quite simply is that there's an outpouring of love for a guy who is nothing more than the most recent one-season wonder of a coordinator, which has had a pretty awful track-record for HC hires throughout the league for many years.  There's a laundry list of guys with one good season as a play-caller that turn out to be terrible coordinators for their careers, never mind even slightly qualified to be HC.

If he had more to his name than a single season in the most ass-backwards year of football imaginable, I would feel very differently.  Since he doesn't, I'd much rather consider any of those who actually do.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh yeah, I could absolutely be totally wrong on this one, but then again, that argument could be made for just about everything we debate around here.  That same unknown could similarly be applied to the lovefest Daboll's suddenly getting here based on nothing more than 4 months of a 20+ year coaching career.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not nearly as down on Daboll as I was on Gase 2 years ago, but the truth is that after Marvin Lewis, the record-holding worst postseason coach in NFL history, Daboll is at the bottom of the list for me of the names that have come up this year.  The only thing he's got going for him is if he's single-handedly credited for the turnaround of Josh Allen, which happened over the course of the same offseason where they were hardly ever allowed to see one another, and Allen was instead paying for the coaching prowess of the immortal Jordan Palmer.

I'm not going to pretend to know how well Daboll as a HC will work out based on all of this alone, but if we're guessing based on the information we have available, the point quite simply is that there's an outpouring of love for a guy who is nothing more than the most recent one-season wonder of a coordinator, which has had a pretty awful track-record for HC hires throughout the league for many years.  There's a laundry list of guys with one good season as a play-caller that turn out to be terrible coordinators for their careers, never mind even slightly qualified to be HC.

If he had more to his name than a single season in the most ass-backwards year of football imaginable, I would feel very differently.  Since he doesn't, I'd much rather consider any of those who actually do.

Fair enough, the fact Marvin Lewis has a playoff record is attractive to me.  That's how desperate I am.

• Haha 1