Jump to content

Report: Jets Are Incapable Of Learning, Will Never Be Good


Recommended Posts

Just now, jgb said:

New in position. Used to report to Glatt, I think. Pretty sure he’s a lawyer. He’s a business manager. concessions, marketing, website, communications, concessions, that stuff. Obviously a big job but who cares about his opinion on a HC?

Been with the team his whole career. As part of Douglas coming on board he seemed to elbow glatt to the side in favor of elhai. Glatt was considered more of a meddler and elhai is more hands off. 
 

it’s always a good idea to have a lawyer in the room and he knows everything about the business side of operations 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“Jets don’t want to be rushed.” Same story two years ago. Translation: “Jets don’t want to compete with other teams for a coach. Will wait for the music to stop and low-ball one of the guys left

The guy writing the check will sign off at the end, what’s wrong with that?

Could be a phrasing thing. Costello’s makes the process sound a little different:    I stand by my thread title.

Posted Images

Well if he's good at his job, I'm sure he's hired successful people before.  He might not have any input on whether the guys schemes are sound, but maybe he'd have experience identifying good leaders etc?  That's more of me hoping aloud than saying it as fact.


You have clearly never worked in corporate america.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jgb said:

More like a car wreck in slow motion. But we survived. Gase was falling from a cliff into a spike pit coated with cobra venom.

Move fast. This is a competitive business. Skip Hymie’s input. One man show. CJ gets a “nice to meetcha” interview so he can feel involved. Then write a check and get working on the draft.

Hymie sitting in on meetings because hes a VP and thats the way it works, makes no difference whether he is or isnt, hes not adding deep input

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Well if he's good at his job, I'm sure he's hired successful people before.  He might not have any input on whether the guys schemes are sound, but maybe he'd have experience identifying good leaders etc?  That's more of me hoping aloud than saying it as fact.

I dunno. He’s been president for a year after Glatt got fired for — I’m spitballing here — the most cringe uniform roll out since Hugo Boss introduced its Fall 1945 collection in newly-liberated France.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just happy that Douglas is leading the search and making the final selection. This is a departure from the committee approach — ie, cluster**** — that is their usual modus operandi. The owner having to give final OK is what happens with all teams. 

But Im still a long ways from having faith they will make a good decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Predicted this. 

Absolutely terrible owners. Stop Meddling. The Johnsons are the reasons the Jets have sucked for the last decade. 

So you dont think owners of a multi-billion dollar org should sign off on the hiring of one of the most important positions on the team?

Think its, meddling?  😳

Link to post
Share on other sites
I dunno. He’s been president for a year after Glatt got fired for — I’m spitballing here — the most cringe uniform roll out since Hugo Boss introduced their Fall 1945 collection in newly-liberated France.


The new uniforms were the modern equivalent to “new coke”


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
So you dont think owners of a multi-billion dollar org should sign off on the hiring of one of the most important positions on the team?
Think its, meddling?  


You hire a football guy and you get out of his way. Johnsons dont have any experience in operations or finance sections of these businesses. No other business runs like this. Every other business hires a CFO and CEO. Those people are given a budget and goals to meet. Thats it. The board of directors doesnt hire the head of marketing. Its ridiculous and I can now see why they have nothing to do with J&J


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RSJ said:

 


The new uniforms were the modern equivalent to “new coke”


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Can’t believe with all the A-list celebrities who are Jets fans Glatt comes up with JB Smoov. And the production value and venue. Wow. Looked like where you’d go to see an underground hip hop battle. Thought the garage doors were gonna whip open at any second and cops swinging billy clubs were gonna storm in to break it up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Can’t believe with all the A-list celebrities who are Jets fans Glatt comes up with JB Smoov. And the production value and venue. Wow. Looked like where you’d go to see an underground hip hop battle. Thought the garbage doors were gonna whip open at any second and cops in billy clubs were gonna storm in to break it up.


Lol. The A Listers probably took one look at the new helmets and said they were all booked up. I will literally never buy or wear that garbage. I only wear the old ones.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

 


Lol. The A Listers probably took one look at the new helmets and said they were all booked up. I will literally never buy or wear that garbage. I only wear the old ones.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Not buying any named jerseys except for Jets retired all time greats. Sick of using $100+ clothing items to wash my car.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RSJ said:

 


You hire a football guy and you get out of his way. Johnsons dont have any experience in operations or finance sections of these businesses. No other business runs like this. Every other business hires a CFO and CEO. Those people are given a budget and goals to meet. Thats it. The board of directors doesnt hire the head of marketing. Its ridiculous and I can now see why they have nothing to do with J&J


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Every single team does it this way, the football guy finds the guy he likes, the HC he can work with and the owner who signs the checks signs off on the hire.  

No one anywhere has said anyone will get in the way of JDs hire.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Very common practice. 


The problem is anyone on this board could make a better football decision than the Johnsons. I know this for a fact since literally no one anywhere wanted Gase. They should just let JD perform the whole thing. It’s literally impossible to do worse than the Johnsons, let alone the Johnsons and the head of ticket sales and merchandising.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not buying any named jerseys except for Jets retired all time greats. Sick of using $100+ clothing items to wash my car.

Speak ffg or yourself- I rock wearing my Glen Foley jersey

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So you dont think owners of a multi-billion dollar org should sign off on the hiring of one of the most important positions on the team?

Think its, meddling?  😳

Like last time when he forcibly paired Adam Gase and Greg Williams together? When we could have had Rhule here but didn't come bc of Chris Johnson wanting to pick his DC for him? 

Yes the Johnsons love meddling. They need to walk away and hire who Joe Douglas tells them to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Like last time when he forcibly paired Adam Gase and Greg Williams together? When we could have had Rhule here but didn't come bc of Chris Johnson wanting to pick his DC for him? 

Yes the Johnsons love meddling. They need to walk away and hire who Joe Douglas tells them to. 

What does any of this have to do with it?  One its JDs hire, thats what was said and what youre about.  Bringing up Macc?  

The Jets didnt want Ruhle with a college OC and a 2nd year QB, Ruhle said no, the said bye.  So?

Now where does it say, anywhere that they wont hire whoever Joe Douglas tells them to? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Like when they jumped in and hired Bowles when it was rumored that Atlanta would hire him?

Or when the jumped at JD when the Texans jumped into the mix?  When they upped the deal in time and money? 

Not really fair

 

To be totally fair, at the end of the day, it became two jackasses playing pin the tail on a jackass. It's a bigger indictment, especially with Gase. 

I know I'm not misreading that you're somehow defending an awful business decision here, because I know you aren't. No owner of an NFL team wants their team to be a perennial dog, but the Johnsons spend/spent money in all the wrong ways, dropping tons of cash on Chimps and idiots. Hearing Tannenbaum criticize FO decisions NOW is laughable to me. I'd love to ask him if ASKING him about Tim Tebow is somehow rude or irrelevant.   

If the Johnsons wanted to "change the culture" blah blah blahbeedy blah so much but then get in bed with the Maras who cheaped Woody the Rube out of a roof then the ineptitude probably continues until the lease is up. Or probably until the earth breaks of its axis and we all go hurtling like ants into the sun. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jetophile said:

To be totally fair, at the end of the day, it became two jackasses playing pin the tail on a jackass. It's a bigger indictment, especially with Gase. 

I know I'm not misreading that you're somehow defending an awful business decision here, because I know you aren't. No owner of an NFL team wants their team to be a perennial dog, but the Johnsons spend/spent money in all the wrong ways, dropping tons of cash on Chimps and idiots. Hearing Tannenbaum criticize FO decisions NOW is laughable to me. I'd love to ask him if ASKING him about Tim Tebow is somehow rude or irrelevant.   

If the Johnsons wanted to "change the culture" blah blah blahbeedy blah so much but then get in bed with the Maras who cheaped Woody the Rube out of a roof then the ineptitude probably continues until the lease is up. Or probably until the earth breaks of its axis and we all go hurtling like ants into the sun. 

Yeah, not arguing against their bad moves, they've made many.  One hire changes it though, so what can you do, nothing on this end.

One thing though, Woody didnt want a dome, Woody had nothing when NYC fell through, asked in on MetLife and the Giants let him in.  They were building an 800 M stadium and Woody got them to go for 1.6 B but they wanted a cold weather, home field advantage.  Have no idea if Woody agreed or not

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, not arguing against their bad moves, they've made many.  One hire changes it though, so what can you do, nothing on this end.

One thing though, Woody didnt want a dome, Woody had nothing when NYC fell through, asked in on MetLife and the Giants let him in.  They were building an 800 M stadium and Woody got them to go for 1.6 B but they wanted a cold weather, home field advantage.  Have no idea if Woody agreed or not

That second paragraph is part wildly wrong, part revisionist history, part like that show 'Finding Bigfoot'. Ha, whatever happened to that old 'Bigfoot' thread, come to think of it, lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

What does any of this have to do with it?  One its JDs hire, thats what was said and what youre about.  Bringing up Macc?  

The Jets didnt want Ruhle with a college OC and a 2nd year QB, Ruhle said no, the said bye.  So?  

The whole season we have seen actions that would indicate the GM is not running the show here (Starting Gore, Flacco etc while other franchises play younger talent). Up until today Gase reported to Chris Johnson - Not Douglas. Same way it's been here since Rex Ryan. 

Mccagnan was part of the search for Gase. So saying Douglas will lead this search means nothing. 

Quote

Maccagnan was hired in 2015 on the same day as former head coach Todd Bowles. In an unusual organizational restructure, Woody Johnson had Bowles and Maccagnan report directly to him, eschewing the more traditional dynamic where a coach reports to the GM. Christopher Johnson fired Bowles in December, but surprisingly allowed Maccagnan to stay despite the subpar rosters he put together. The younger Johnson returned to the conventional structure by allowing Maccagnan to be involved in the hiring search for Bowles’s replacement. They settled on Gase, who reported to Maccagnan and was named interim GM on Wednesday.

 

Heres the story on Rhule. It involved DC as well that involved some of the worst meddling from an owner the NFL has ever seen. Obviously a terrible move.  

Also the Panthers have a college OC in Joe Brady who Rule took and hes already getting HC recognition. Just goes to show you football guys like Douglas need to make these calls. Not the Johnsons

 

Quote

Baylor coach Matt Rhule withdrew his candidacy for the New York Jets' head coaching position when he learned that he wouldn't get to choose his own assistant coaches, according to a report from SportsNet New York. The organization offered a list of assistants they would provide instead. 

Without naming the Jets specifically, Rhule explained his stance on the job opening and his philosophy on a preference to hire his own coaching staff in a radio interview Friday. 

"I don't want to say anything about that job," Rhule said on ESPN 1160 in Dallas. "At the end of the day, I'm never going to be in an arranged marriage. I'm never going to sub-contract out jobs for offense and defense. I'm always going to hire people I believe in —and are going to do things our way, that are going to believe in process, that are going to be part of a program. I truly believe that programs win.”

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

The whole season we have seen actions that would indicate the GM is not running the show here (Starting Gore, Flacco etc while other franchises play younger talent). Up until today Gase reported to Chris Johnson - Not Douglas. Same way it's been here since Rex Ryan. So you're convinced from one random Tweet from Cimini that- that structure is gone? 

Mccagnan was part of the search for Gase. So saying Douglas will lead this search means nothing. 

Start with this part.  What does it mean?  HC's decide who starts, not GMs.  Thats how it works.  Always has and always will.  And yes, I expect JD to lead the search.  Not because Cimini said it.  Or Costello also said id.  Or Hughes just said it on SNY.  Or Vacciano....Please not the old, tired Gase reports to who and not who.  Makes no difference, the theory is goofy. Please the Rams and others do it the same, who cares who Gase reports to, he got fired after only 2 seasons, so what 

 

18 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Heres the story on Rhule. It involved DC as well that involved some of the worst meddling from an owner the NFL has ever seen. Obviously a terrible move.  

Also the Panthers have a college OC in Joe Brady who Rule took and hes already getting HC recognition. Just goes to show you football guys like Douglas need to make these calls. Not the Johnsons

Really?  Where did you read that the owner meddled?  Where has it ever been said that asking Ruhle to consider coaches with NFL experience was on Johnson and not Macc?  I know, doesnt fit the narrative.  

 

18 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Also the Panthers have a college OC in Joe Brady who Rule took and hes already getting HC recognition. Just goes to show you football guys like Douglas need to make these calls. Not the Johnsons

Brady want even a known name at the time Ruhle interviewed, wasnt the guy he was bringing in, Brady made his name a year later at LSU and thats where Ruhle got him from

Regardless, it’s being reported that its JDs hire.  Just sit back and watch.  If it isn’t bitch.  It’s a waste of time today

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

The whole season we have seen actions that would indicate the GM is not running the show here (Starting Gore, Flacco etc while other franchises play younger talent).

On what NFL team does the GM dictate the roster to the head coach? Or, more accurately, what head coach worth his salt would put up with such a thing?

19 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Up until today Gase reported to Chris Johnson - Not Douglas. Same way it's been here since Rex Ryan. 

And the same way it is with about half the teams in the NFL, with the GM and head coach both reporting to the owner. The structure has not been the Jets' problem. It's the people.

You are on quite a roll.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RSJ said:

 


The problem is anyone on this board could make a better football decision than the Johnsons. I know this for a fact since literally no one anywhere wanted Gase. They should just let JD perform the whole thing. It’s literally impossible to do worse than the Johnsons, let alone the Johnsons and the head of ticket sales and merchandising.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Teams hire sh*tty HCs all the time. I didn’t understand the Gase hiring but we had been hiring noobs for a long long time and that’s probably why WJ took a chance with Gase. Regardless, Gase took out possibly the worse GM Jets have had including Izadickwad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you hire someone to be the fry guy at McDonald's for $13 bucks an hour, you don't need an owner's OK.

When you hire someone for a multiyear contract at multiple milliions of dollars per year - it's gonna be OKed by the ownership group.

 

Complete non-story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you own the damn team and pay all the bills...hiring tbe coach is always a final decision for the owner. Unless you'r e he Broncos and have some weird All My Children drama going on in the owners meetings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JTJet said:

That's not what it says. 

It says...

"Johnson will make the final decision"

There is a huge difference between making the decision, and giving something your blessing/money. 

So you think that the owner doesn't have to get sold on the new HC. The owner of the My jets, you think, can just be told who the coach will be? Lol

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

So you think that the owner doesn't have to get sold on the new HC. The owner of the My jets, you think, can just be told who the coach will be? Lol

This.  People don't realize that it will be a huge transition for Woody and his Fredo to merely give approval and let JD have full control of the search compared to the various other ways they have done it in the past.  I just hope they seal the end to meddling by letting the new HC report to the GM and not an owner with an 85 IQ or his dumber brother.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...