Report: Jets Are Incapable Of Learning, Will Never Be Good

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Im not complaining at all.. Chris has all the rights. I am saying GOOD ownership should look at their skill set and recognize that THEY do not have the skill to identify talent and GIVE the process to Douglas. Could we do worse than Gase and Bowles??  Chris saying "Gase and I sync... we're on the same page etc"  leads any reasonable person to believe Chris believes what HE thinks is important, history shows he is as dumb as a rock.  What Chris thinks is about as important as what my daughter thinks.  He writes the checks.. good for him. He has shown himself to be borderline retarded. he not only adds no value, he decreases it. 

Exactly what having JD lead the hire and Chris just sign off on it says.  

Bowles being a Woody hire, not a Chris hire, that didn't work out has nothing to do with JD hiring a HC that fits what he wants.  

Saying theyre on the same page, well every owner says that with every hire theyre GM makes, have no idea why anyone would expect differently or that it means the owner thinks hes more than what he is, a check off.  And then lets really go full out and say this makes him dumb as a rock.  But then again, hes border line retarded and signing off decreased the value of the pick.  LOL, once again

I will believe JD has more power and influence than the GMs before him if the new HC reports to him. Until then, I'm assuming more of the same. Still think the Johnsons are gonna give him a Hamburger Helper budget and ask for steak, though...

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Could be a phrasing thing. Costello’s makes the process sound a little different: 

I stand by my thread title.

Hymie Whatshisname in the mix-WTF.

HYMIE'S QUALIFICATIONS ARE.....? If you told me he was some analytics genius, the NFL equivalent of Theo Epstein, I could buy that. But he's just some guy giving courtesy reacharounds to the Johnson brothers and telling them drumlines and CFL jerseys are going to solve all their problems. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Hymie Whatshis name in the mix-WTF

We've never really gotten a straight answer from the Jets on how much influence this position has over the team and what his overall goals are. The Johnson's seem to love this guy. The business side from all reports is doing well...the tail wagging the dog here wouldn't shock me at all. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

We've never really gotten a straight answer from the Jets on how much influence this position has over the team and what his goals are. The business side from all reports is doing well...the tail wagging the dog here wouldn't shock me at all. 

It's impossible to fail in a business sense running a New York football team.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I find the tweets confusing because they don’t address Peyton Manning’s role in the process.

"Yeah, Woody,  I'm between the back 9 at Pebble Beach, and an insurance company ad shoot. Sounds great..."  

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Hymie Whatshisname in the mix-WTF.

HYMIE'S QUALIFICATIONS ARE.....? If you told me he was some analytics genius, the NFL equivalent of Theo Epstein, I could buy that. But he's just some guy giving courtesy reacharounds to the Johnson brothers and telling them drumlines and CFL jerseys are going to solve all their problems. 

You guys read way too much into these names. He's not making any big decision.

• Upvote 1

If Christopher Johnson has the final say, this team is doomed!!!!

I would write down the names of every coach that was interviewed by this Jets team and hired by other teams. The reason for this is to see and compare their winning records against the Jets record.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if already Christopher Johnson has someone in mind for the head coaching position.  Let's also see how many candidates drop out of the running to be the Jets head coach. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, jgb said:

We will see who the new coach reports to. Only then will we know.

The team structure is unlikely to change. How much more appealing is the Jets' head coaching job when, instead of reporting directly to the owner, you report to the GM? However you slice it, that makes the HC at least seem less powerful. They have Joe Douglas under contract in a co-chair role, and now it's up to Joe Douglas to find the best co-chair candidate, with whom he feels he can best work. 

I've long been critical of the management structure in their football operations -not that it's unique- but the time to change is when they're truly going "big game hunting," for one guy to run the whole show from either the HC or GM seat. 

Joe Douglas appears to be very well respected around the league. He shouldn't have too much of a problem finding that partner. I expect the Johnsons to pretty much rubber stamp whoever JD's top candidate turns out to be. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We've never really gotten a straight answer from the Jets on how much influence this position has over the team and what his overall goals are. The Johnson's seem to love this guy. The business side from all reports is doing well...the tail wagging the dog here wouldn't shock me at all. 

I've met Elhai and he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who's going to step on any toes.  Seems like a very sharp and self-aware guy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why is the guy who adds up the parking lot receipts and hires the luxury suite meat station guys involved at all in the HC decision. 

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

You have no idea what kinds of decisions that person makes. You don't know how teams work. You think a general manager is a person with the director of pro player personnel's job description and a minor deity's clout. These stories they tell you aren't real.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

The team structure is unlikely to change. How much more appealing is the Jets' head coaching job when, instead of reporting directly to the owner, you report to the GM? However you slice it, that makes the HC at least seem less powerful. They have Joe Douglas under contract in a co-chair role, and now it's up to Joe Douglas to find the best co-chair candidate, with whom he feels he can best work. 

I've long been critical of the management structure in their football operations -not that it's unique- but the time to change is when they're truly going "big game hunting," for one guy to run the whole show from either the HC or GM seat. 

Joe Douglas appears to be very well respected around the league. He shouldn't have too much of a problem finding that partner. I expect the Johnsons to pretty much rubber stamp whoever JD's top candidate turns out to be. 

Maybe Johnsons feel the reports-to-owner thing is a selling point they need to compete in the hiring market. I'd argue $$$ talks more than org chart, though. I hope you're right and Johnsons put a blank check in JD's pocket and just rubber stamp the finalist. Then I suppose it doesn't matter as much.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Maybe Johnsons feel the reports-to-owner thing is a selling point they need to compete in the hiring market. I'd argue $$$ talks more than org chart, though. I hope you're right and Johnsons put a blank check in JD's pocket and just rubber stamp the finalist. Then I suppose it doesn't matter as much.

They have to open the wallet to get the best guy. They did that for Douglas. Maybe that was the start of something new. I don't know, either. For now, I'd rather be a little optimistic rather than completely cynical. :) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, dbatesman said:

I’m not crying at all. For me personally, it is Extremely Good that our brainless pencilneck owners are likely to screw up this head coaching hire just like they’ve screwed up literally everything else with this franchise

just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living? i love the self-unaware internet tough guys calling successful people dumb. running a football team like running anything else is difficult and not black or white...lots of smart people in that building regardless of what YOU think.

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly what having JD lead the hire and Chris just sign off on it says.  

Bowles being a Woody hire, not a Chris hire, that didn't work out has nothing to do with JD hiring a HC that fits what he wants.  

Saying theyre on the same page, well every owner says that with every hire theyre GM makes, have no idea why anyone would expect differently or that it means the owner thinks hes more than what he is, a check off.  And then lets really go full out and say this makes him dumb as a rock.  But then again, hes border line retarded and signing off decreased the value of the pick.  LOL, once again

If you see any redeeming qualities in Chris you sir are delusional.

22 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

You have no idea what kinds of decisions that person makes. You don't know how teams work. You think a general manager is a person with the director of pro player personnel's job description and a minor deity's clout. These stories they tell you aren't real.

And neither do you, so why are you crying about it? 

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living? i love the self-unaware internet tough guys calling successful people dumb. running a football team like running anything else is difficult and not black or white...lots of smart people in that building regardless of what YOU think.

I shoot birds at the airport

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Or bafoons who are doing it the right way until they F it up?

I'd prefer Douglas puts together a list of his top 5 and what it will cost to get them.  Get the budget approved by the buffoons in advance and go get a HC he can work with.   There is no reason to have the buffoons sign off on the hire.  None.  

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He didn't cheap out when hiring JD. That's all I got. And it's a key differentiator from his brother. Overall his brother is better, though. Can't believe I'm saying it but it's true.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

The other tweets made it sound like it was Joe Douglas's show to run.

In the end it's always the owner.  On paper at least.  If Douglas is sold on any candidate, C J wil write the check. When Macc got fired CJ admited he didn't have a clue, and that's why he didn't fire Macc right away. 

Because of ego, the "official" structure as far as the media is concered is C J is in charge.  The reality will be Douglas is running the team....................At least I hope. Or the Jets are in big trouble.  lol

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

If you think my post saying that JD leading the search and CJ signing off on it as the normal process as a redeeming quality you’re beyond delusional and just a hater once again.  There is nothing about the process and understanding the process that deserves your response 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Coordinators. See problem is the Johnsons are really guiding this; what kinds of coaches are proscribed and chosen. High end big tickets options aren't options at all. It's early but suspect it won't get any better. This  needs to start with a call to Cowher. That hasn't happened. Not saying that's a guarantee, but it needs to start there. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bugg said:

Coordinators. See problem is the Johnsons are really guiding this; what kinds of coaches are proscribed and chosen. High end big tickets options aren't options at all. It's early but suspect it won't get any better. This  needs to start with a call to Cowher. That hasn't happened. Not saying that's a guarantee, but it needs to start there. 

Ironically, Jets will be paying Gase/New Guy more than Belichick is getting annually in New England. Hire the right dude for a fair price and you don't have to continually pay two bargain options at the same time.

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'd prefer Douglas puts together a list of his top 5 and what it will cost to get them.  Get the budget approved by the buffoons in advance and go get a HC he can work with.   There is no reason to have the buffoons sign off on the hire.  None.  

They’re not hiring within a budget.  And owners always sign off on new coaches, any sport.  Don’t get the shock to the obvious

• Upvote 1

Everyone seems to be panicing about the Cimini tweet.  This follow up tweet was posted before, but it seems like no one read it.  Douglas is runnig the search for a HC

I think people are reading too much into this. Of course Johnson has to sign off; he’s the owner. That’s how it works in the NFL and in business. From all indications, it will be Douglas’ guy.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I will believe JD has more power and influence than the GMs before him if the new HC reports to him. Until then, I'm assuming more of the same. Still think the Johnsons are gonna give him a Hamburger Helper budget and ask for steak, though...

Yeah, I'm with you on this.....the Owner signing off on the HC is standard operating for all teams.  The issue is more what you said earlier, we're going to take our time, cast a wide net ie; we have no clue what we're doing or where we're going but we certainly dont want to battle for the top candidates. 

My only hope is this is just fan food.  Give them something that makes it sound like they've ironed our a process and that JD has his top 3 in mind.  I dont see why on earth you need a wide net, you hired JD for his connections and experience in the league, you would think he's had a list since the day he was hired....unless he had unabashed confidence in Adam Gase...which would be concerning to say the least.

• Upvote 2

When you look at the successful coaches in the NFL, many if not most of them are former coordinators and many first time HCs.  Promoting a successful coordinator is not a recipe for failure.  But you need the right coordinator, the right staff and the right organization.

Vrabel, LaFleur, McVay, Flores, Pedersen (ignore this year), Reich, Kyle Shanahan, for example.

We have seen college HCs transition well to the NFL-Jim Harbaugh, Carroll, Kingsbury, for example.  People like Rhule, but his results have not shown up yet.  

But for whatever reason, the HCs the Jets hire have not worked out.  Wouldn't it be nice to hire a HC that is here for 5 years or more, like the Seahawks and Steelers?

But if the Jets keep their organizational structure (which also is not a recipe for failure), it just seems to me that they need a HC who can really be CEO of the football team.  That will require a larger investment in coaching.  That is 2 real coordinators, and a QB coach, for starters.  Not an HC who is actually a coordinator on one side of the ball.

My gut tells me that some of these coordinators carry themselves as future HCs.  Some of them don't.  

I think we will know in a month where the Jets are at here.  

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Do we think that Joe Douglas doesn’t already know who he’s gonna hire?

I suspect he's been thinking about this for weeks, if not months.  Yeah I think  he knows who he wants.  i also think a lot of the board is going to be upset with it.  

Strongly doubt it will be any of the board's favorites, like Crowder, or Hardon.  IMO, being a first contract GM it will be some one he has had connections with in the past.  Eagles, Ravens or Bears in their history.