The Next HC Of The NYJ Will Be...

Arthur Smith is the guy who took Ryan Tannehill and elevated him to a playoff / Pro Bowl level these past couple years after Tannehill‘s years with Gase. Admittedly, I don’t know a ton about him and he has had some very talented players on that offense to work with (Tannehill, Derrick Henry, AJ Brown, good offensive line, etc.) but he is intriguing.

39 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

“We're not a five-star football factory,” Campbell said. “We don't have any five-star players. And shoot, we’ve only got one or two four-star players. But what we are is we're a group of people that have cared about each other, and are willing to go to work to become the best versions of ourselves we can be.”

The big part of the equation you are missing with this is that is exactly type of mentality a coach has to have when 4 and 5 star recruits don't want to play at your school.  If Campbell woke up tomorrow and got offered the Ohio State job you'd never here that type of 5-Star Culture over 5-Star talent again. 

Campbell is a good coach.  This type of stuff has nothing to do with it.  It's window dressing.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

Sell me on Roman over Daboll 

Well for starters his offenses have never been ranked 32 or 31st which two of Daboll's offenses have.

Roman has an exceptional record of creating, implementing and managing successful offenses for numerous QB's with completely different skill sets, orgs and eras.  Even now with that big hit he took a few weeks back by Lamar Jackson saying defenses were calling out their plays, he responded with a revamped and adjusted scheme which as scored at least 37 points. Today's game included. 

I think Daboll has done a superb job with Josh Allen. Other than that he hasn't done all that much. Lots of experience and I wouldn't be crushed by hiring him, but I would be disappointed. Roman is the clear choice imo. Him or Matt Campbell.  I've also heard some good thing about Fitxgerald but I'd be lying if I claimed to know much about him.  I'm a fan of resume's. Not so much of a recent stint being the catalyst for a hire. No matter how strong. If its a one time thing, I'm out.  We've done that before... 7x. 

• Upvote 4

There’s a lot of good options although I’m sure they will dwindle fast and become very few. 

I like Fitzgerald, Campbell, Daboll, Wink, Brady. 
i wouldn’t be upset with Bienemy or Arthur Smith although prob a bit more nervous about them. 

Hate: Pederson, Jim Harbaugh, Schotty

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Want Joe Brady. Think it will be Roman. 

Joe Brady support from long suffering Jets fans baffles me.  He has a resume of one item. Joe Burrow.  That LSU team had 13 players get drafted. A record.  with 5 in the first.  Seems like it would be a touch easier to get them to reach successful heights than most situations.  His offense with a less stellard cast of all stars is ranked 20th and they are picking 8th in the 2021 draft.  Seems a bit premature. 

Part of this is the assumption that Joe Douglass is either heavily involved or in fact making the coaching decision. What is the official take from the Jets? Is this Joe's search and he takes his final recommendation to Chris and Woody? Is he just a partial player and his input is taken into consideration with others?

I still want Louis Riddick as part of this organization in some manner. Not head coach but in some capacity for football decisions. 

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Sounds a little Disney teen sports movie to me. Hopefully he can adapt his style to fit the pros and won’t introduce a team fight song like Lou Holtz.

Was telling my son how stupid we looked on that MNF game when Cosell ripped Holtz for making the team sing that song.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is kind of where I am.

What are the odds that Campbell even interviews with the Jets? Didn’t he blow off the Jets once before? It feels like a 5% chance the Jets could land him.

I am hoping Campbell will feel his job is done at ISU. I mean, seriously, how much more can he accomplish? He’ll get better recruits, but no 5 star guys are going to ISU.

if he feels that way, he can move on to the next challenge and I think the Jets are precisely the type of team he’d want to take over. They stink, have no tradition of winning and are hungry to write a new story. This is a good test of JDs persuasive powers, thank God he is a real football guy so he will at least be speaking the same language as Campbell. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I am hoping Campbell will feel his job is done at ISU. I mean, seriously, how much more can he accomplish? He’ll get better recruits, but no 5 star guys are going to ISU.

if he feels that way, he can move on to the next challenge and I think the Jets are precisely the type of team he’d want to take over. They stink, have no tradition of winning and are hungry to write a new story. This is a good test of JDs persuasive powers, thank God he is a real football guy so he will at least be speaking the same language as Campbell. 

Campbell could have a chance to become the next "Weeb" in terms of SB I mean. Pair him with JD and a good OC/DC and watch the magic...

Seriously people, We need a CEO, not the hot coordinator. I'd love a Daboll type of offense, but what if Campbell brings in an OC with the same competence to run a modern scheme...

We need a guy who runs the entire team and has done it before, someone with a vision on how to build a winning program. PERIOD

The Texans and Chargers are both better situations than the Jets. Probably Atlanta too. It's going to take some serious selling by Douglas and most likely extra cash from the Johnson's to get a worthwhile guy in here. This is a massive project with the lack of talent on the roster and no QB...along with a serious decision at pick #2 between Fields and Wilson. 

How would you sell the Jets job right now if you can't exceed 4 mill a year?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The Texans and Chargers are both better situations than the Jets. Probably Atlanta too. It's going to take some seriously selling by Douglas and most likely extra cash from the Johnson's to get a worthwhile guy in here. This is a massive project with the lack of talent on the roster and no QB...along with a serious decision at pick #2 between Fields and Wilson. 

How would you sell the Jets job right now if you can't exceed 4 mill a year?

Wait for music to stop. Low-ball offers to anyone left without a chair. See who accepts. You know, how we narrowed the field to Gase and McCarthy last time.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Wait for music to stop. Low-ball offers to anyone left without a chair. See who accepts. You know, how we narrowed the field to Gase and McCarthy last time.

I forgot the Jaguars too. The Jets out of the four openings are last. Not great!

• Upvote 1

Jim Harbaugh has a contract extension waiting for his signature.  He has not signed it because he is wanting to see if he gets an offer from an NFL team.  He is rumored to want the Jets job.  I am not sure he is the right person for the job.

“We're not a five-star football factory,” Campbell said. “We don't have any five-star players. And shoot, we’ve only got one or two four-star players. But what we are is we're a group of people that have cared about each other, and are willing to go to work to become the best versions of ourselves we can be.”
Sounds like everyone gets a trophy ..

im half joking

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Sounds like everyone gets a trophy ..

im half joking

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I half agree. But I think the stuff the real leaders in sports say to get guys to buy in and work ridiculously hard toward a common goal are often "corny" when simply put in print. The bottom line is that football players clearly buy what Matt Campbell is selling, and he has demonstrated a year in and year out ability to make a collection of football players perform better than the sum of their parts.

i don’t understand the love for daboll - i give him a ton of credit for developing allen and the bills have a terrific offense this year for sure - but he’s one piece of a very functional organization - gm and head coach have done terrific jobs building an embarrassment into a success - would daboll be successful having lead role in making same strides here in ny? douglas is the guy for sure and i’d much prefer a ceo head coach type - culture change has to happen - a guy like matt campbell would work even harbaugh ( i don’t think he’s leaving michigan though) if daboll s the guy at least he’s had success as coordinator not an abject failure like last guy

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app