The Next HC Of The NYJ Will Be...

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Robert Saleh is who I want.

I believe it will probably be Arthur Smith or Dan Mullen.

That Mullen name came out of left field the other day, but now it's everywhere.  That seems noteworthy.

I thought Mullens would stay at Assault U.  Surprised his name is being mentioned three years into his tenure.  He's a good coach.

I'll throw a random name out that I don't think has been mentioned.

Dave Toub.  He's been talked about in the past.  Joe Judge across town is seen as a good hire with a similar background.  John Harbaugh is a similar background.  He coached for two franchises Douglas worked for but they never worked at the same time.  No indication he's a candidate, but when the message early in the media is "an extensive search" that makes me think they are saying don't focus just on the main names you see for all the jobs.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Joe Brady support from long suffering Jets fans baffles me.  He has a resume of one item. Joe Burrow.  That LSU team had 13 players get drafted. A record.  with 5 in the first.  Seems like it would be a touch easier to get them to reach successful heights than most situations.  His offense with a less stellard cast of all stars is ranked 20th and they are picking 8th in the 2021 draft.  Seems a bit premature. 

He completely revamped that LSU offense from meh to spectacular in one season with largely the same cast of players. Burrow was good the preceding season but Brady's offense turned Burrow into a star.

He's spent two seasons on Sean Payton's staff , IMO  outside of Andy Reid the best offensive mind to learn from.  And yes as a whole Carolina is ranked 20th in offense , but consider he worked the majority of the season without the centerpiece of their offense - Christian McCaffrey.  That offense lacking star power looked light years better than anything the Jets rolled out this year. 

If you pair him with a Vet DC/Asst HC like a Leslie Frazier/Mike Zimmer/Marvin Lewis/Spags I think its a very exciting play.

Do I think the Jets will do this - no . I feel JD has some connections in this league and those for better or worse will narrow the serious candidates to a handful. I expect Roman or even Martindale not because I think they are better or more qualified but because JD has more familiarity with them. 

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Campbell could have a chance to become the next "Weeb" in terms of SB I mean. Pair him with JD and a good OC/DC and watch the magic...

Seriously people, We need a CEO, not the hot coordinator. I'd love a Daboll type of offense, but what if Campbell brings in an OC with the same competence to run a modern scheme...

We need a guy who runs the entire team and has done it before, someone with a vision on how to build a winning program. PERIOD

The problem with a CEO type is in essence you need to hit on 3 coaches. The HC and his two assistants. While I agree to some extent I'd like someone who could oversee the whole operation , his pick for both OC and DC become more critical. 

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The problem with a CEO type is in essence you need to hit on 3 coaches. The HC and his two assistants. While I agree to some extent I'd like someone who could oversee the whole operation , his pick for both OC and DC become more critical. 

Absolutely correct, but if you trust the hire to know how to build a team, I'm sure in the interview his choice to follow him as OC/DC will be discussed and either you like them or you don't. I'm sure that would be in the decision making process. What identity is the GM looking for in the next HC and his hires will certainly be part of that discussion.

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Absolutely correct, but if you trust the hire to know how to build a team, I'm sure in the interview his choice to follow him as OC/DC will be discussed and either you like them or you don't. I'm sure that would be in the decision making process. What identity is the GM looking for in the next HC and his hires will certainly be part of that discussion.

A prime example of this is Marvin Lewis. I don't think he'd be a terrible CEO type , but if he brings in Hue Jackson as his OC he becomes a least desired candidate in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

A prime example of this is Marvin Lewis. I don't think he'd be a terrible CEO type , but if he brings in Hue Jackson as his OC he becomes a least desired candidate in my opinion. 

Agreed... This will be as usual an interesting next couple of months lol...

8 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

If you pair him with a Vet DC/Asst HC like a Leslie Frazier/Mike Zimmer/Marvin Lewis/Spags I think its a very exciting play.

This right here is the concern for me. because I agree he would need someone around that can mentor him.  He's as raw as they come. And needing someone in the house to "baby" him through it would be a dangerous move. The NY Jets is a job for a man. A Big burley man who can weather the inevitable storm. Not a boy with one year of experience. Especially with this fan base and media waiting to chop your head off lol 

Brady called Redzone plays and worked with Burrow and the WR's at LSU.   He did a great job, but make no mistake he was not the OC at LSU. Ensminger was and still is.(IIRC)  Brady was not responsible for creating, coordinating, adjusting or calling the plays for the offense.  He was a little bit more than a QB coach over there. 

Again, I'm really not bashing the guy,  I think he's on an upward trajectory. but it's amazing that anyone would be ready to watch that young man get crushed by the weight of the NY JETS being his first time having more say than  a contribution to an offensive playbook. 7 years of experience being on the sideline. 1 as a passing game coordinator and 1 as an OC.  HC??   Scaaaaaary :o 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This right here is the concern for me. because I agree he would need someone around that can mentor him.  He's as raw as they come. And needing someone in the house to "baby" him through it would be a dangerous move. The NY Jets is a job for a man. A Big burley man who can weather the inevitable storm. Not a boy with one year of experience. Especially with this fan base and media waiting to chop your head off lol 

Brady called Redzone plays and worked with Burrow and the WR's at LSU.   He did a great job, but make no mistake he was not the OC at LSU. Ensminger was and still is.(IIRC)  Brady was not responsible for creating, coordinating, adjusting or calling the plays for the offense.  He was a little bit more than a QB coach over there. 

Again, I'm really not bashing the guy,  I think he's on an upward trajectory. but it's amazing that anyone would be ready to watch that young man get crushed by the weight of the NY JETS being his first time having more say than  a contribution to an offensive playbook. 7 years of experience being on the sideline. 1 as a passing game coordinator and 1 as an OC.  HC??   Scaaaaaary :o 

I'm a big LSU fan. Ensminger was there before and was OC in name but trust me it was Brady's influence that changed that offense. Ensminger called plays but Brady sat right next to him in the booth and had a big say in more aspects than you believe. This year with Linehan and Ensminger they went with a more conservative approach. 

And FTR Ensminger retired at the end of this season.

I understand the concerns but in today's NFL predicated by offense, you want a fresh and progressive view that's not jaded by how the NFL used to work. Paired with a solid DC like McVay in LA it can work. It's pointless though because I doubt the Jets go that route. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The Texans and Chargers are both better situations than the Jets. Probably Atlanta too. It's going to take some serious selling by Douglas and most likely extra cash from the Johnson's to get a worthwhile guy in here. This is a massive project with the lack of talent on the roster and no QB...along with a serious decision at pick #2 between Fields and Wilson. 

How would you sell the Jets job right now if you can't exceed 4 mill a year?

So it’s interesting. The Texans have Watson but have no 1st or 2nd round pick and are 15 M over the cap. They have some work to do. 

agreed on the Chargers, Falcons, and of course, Jacksonville

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'll throw a random name out that I don't think has been mentioned.

Dave Toub.  He's been talked about in the past.  Joe Judge across town is seen as a good hire with a similar background.  John Harbaugh is a similar background.  He coached for two franchises Douglas worked for but they never worked at the same time.  No indication he's a candidate, but when the message early in the media is "an extensive search" that makes me think they are saying don't focus just on the main names you see for all the jobs.

I am all for interviewing special teams guys they have a lot of advantages in becoming head coaches.

As we know, coordinators can be successful when hired to be HCs.  It is the most common path.  There are coordinators that will be hired as HC this year who will be successful.

Given that we are dealing with the Johnsons and the Jets, I can see Daboll or Arthur Smith getting traction.

Daboll comes from a great coaching tree, and I think he will push the right buttons to demonstrate that he can be a HC.  It will not hurt that he will say that he can coach Fields, and then find an OC for him.  If Daboll is functionally the OC, we are doomed.

Arthur Smith has done a great job, and having Sunday dinner with the Founder and CEO of FedEx will not hurt.  I think that corporate pedigree will go over very well with the Johnsons.

Martindale will remind the Johnsons of Rex.  Saleh looks like a muscle head.  Biennemy has too much baggage.   Roman seems like a permanent OC.  Eberflus seems inexperienced and has never run anything. 

Harbaugh and Campbell would be great as new concepts.  They will want $10mm to coach the Jets.  

12 hours ago, ncjetman said:

i don’t understand the love for daboll - i give him a ton of credit for developing allen and the bills have a terrific offense this year for sure - but he’s one piece of a very functional organization - gm and head coach have done terrific jobs building an embarrassment into a success - would daboll be successful having lead role in making same strides here in ny? douglas is the guy for sure and i’d much prefer a ceo head coach type - culture change has to happen - a guy like matt campbell would work even harbaugh ( i don’t think he’s leaving michigan though) if daboll s the guy at least he’s had success as coordinator not an abject failure like last guy

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ya my choices harbaugh Campbell daboll,, happy with any of 3

44 minutes ago, varjet said:

As we know, coordinators can be successful when hired to be HCs.  It is the most common path.  There are coordinators that will be hired as HC this year who will be successful.

Given that we are dealing with the Johnsons and the Jets, I can see Daboll or Arthur Smith getting traction.

Daboll comes from a great coaching tree, and I think he will push the right buttons to demonstrate that he can be a HC.  It will not hurt that he will say that he can coach Fields, and then find an OC for him.  If Daboll is functionally the OC, we are doomed.

Arthur Smith has done a great job, and having Sunday dinner with the Founder and CEO of FedEx will not hurt.  I think that corporate pedigree will go over very well with the Johnsons.

Martindale will remind the Johnsons of Rex.  Saleh looks like a muscle head.  Biennemy has too much baggage.   Roman seems like a permanent OC.  Eberflus seems inexperienced and has never run anything. 

Harbaugh and Campbell would be great as new concepts.  They will want $10mm to coach the Jets.  

No salary cap for coaches as Parcells told Leon Hess 

12 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

He completely revamped that LSU offense from meh to spectacular in one season with largely the same cast of players. Burrow was good the preceding season but Brady's offense turned Burrow into a star.

He's spent two seasons on Sean Payton's staff , IMO  outside of Andy Reid the best offensive mind to learn from.  And yes as a whole Carolina is ranked 20th in offense , but consider he worked the majority of the season without the centerpiece of their offense - Christian McCaffrey.  That offense lacking star power looked light years better than anything the Jets rolled out this year. 

Do I think the Jets will do this - no . I feel JD has some connections in this league and those for better or worse will narrow the serious candidates to a handful. I expect Roman or even Martindale not because I think they are better or more qualified but because JD has more familiarity with them. 

Marvin Lewis would only leave his golfing/coaching Retitement gift job herm gave him at Arizona St for a NFL HC gig

18 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Robert Saleh is who I want.

I believe it will probably be Arthur Smith or Dan Mullen or Martindale.

That Mullen name came out of left field the other day, but now it's everywhere.  That seems noteworthy.

Hire Saleh as HC and Ken Dorsey as OC

4 hours ago, JetsRay said:

My choices are:

1. Jim Harbaugh

2.  Matt Campbell

3. 'Wink' Martindale

4. Pat Fitzgerald

It’s looking like Harbaugh’s using us to manufacture leverage but if he is genuinely interested if the Johnsons want to prove everyone wrong offer him $100 million to come here 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

It’s looking like Harbaugh’s using us to manufacture leverage but if he is genuinely interested if the Johnsons want to prove everyone wrong offer him $100 million to come here 

Woody is never giving out a 10 year deal like Gruden got. Never. 

Jets job is #5 out of the 6 current openings, with only the Lions job being less attractive.  

I am hoping Douglas hires an unheralded Leader Of Men type motivator/game manager, then gets him some veteran coordinators.  After the clusterf*<& of the Gase tenure, stability is the key, because it will provide the air of competence.