Fields longevity in NFL

So I fully admit I have not watched many games of Fields.  I did watch the Clemson game and there are several things that stood out as positives

1) Accuracy was spot on

2) Dual threat was able to keep Clemson on their heels

3) Toughness - not doubt he will grit it out

4) Strong arm, but it didn't seem to be a cannon.  Deep passes looked nice.

My biggest concern after watching is his longevity in the NFL.  He took some pretty good pops during that game while running the ball.  Although pretty fast for a QB, his running style reminds me of Cam Newton.  Not as shifty as Russell Wilson, not as quick as Mahomes, and certainly not as fast a Lamar.  Cam over the years has taken a beating and has impacted his on the field health and productivity.

For those that have watched Fields throughout his college, is this a legitimate concern?  and what are your thoughts.

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

That's your biggest concern? My biggest concern is that he busts. If he's great and has a shortened career, that's nowhere close to the worst-case scenario.

If he gets beat up early, he will bust.  Thats why I am a proponent of trading down for a haul and building the team before the jets ruin another qb.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

With all this QB talk it sounds like a lose-lose situation. Fields with his inconsistent play, Wilson with his small frame and injury history, and 3 years of subpar Darnold. Bottomline no QB is a sure thing even Trevor Lawrence. You know where I stand. I’ve seen enough of Sam and it’s time for a change. It’s a shame cause when he was drafted I thought we finally found our franchise QB. Good kid and team player but it just didn’t work out. I hope JD realizes that and moves on. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

With all this QB talk it sounds like a lose-lose situation. Fields with his inconsistent play, Wilson with his small frame and injury history, and 3 years of subpar Darnold. Bottomline no QB is a sure thing even Trevor Lawrence. You know where I stand. I’ve seen enough of Sam and it’s time for a change. It’s a shame cause when he was drafted I thought we finally found our franchise QB. Good kid and team player but it just didn’t work out. I hope JD realizes that and moves on. 

JD realizes that the economics and Darnold’s performance to date make moving on unavoidable. There are no sure things in the draft of course this is true. But a chance is better than the known quantity in this case.

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So I fully admit I have not watched many games of Fields.  I did watch the Clemson game and there are several things that stood out as positives

1) Accuracy was spot on

My biggest concern after watching is his longevity in the NFL.  He took some pretty good pops during that game while running the ball.  Although pretty fast for a QB, his running style reminds me of Cam Newton.  Not as shifty as Russell Wilson, not as quick as Mahomes, and certainly not as fast a Lamar.  Cam over the years has taken a beating and has impacted his on the field health and productivity.

For those that have watched Fields throughout his college, is this a legitimate concern?  and what are your thoughts.

Nothing wrong with his arm.  Makes deep throws effortlessly and accurately.

I dont see how hes not as quick as Mahomes.  

But I do agree, college QBs play more recklessly than NFL QBs.  Lawrence is the same, runs almost as much, I dont care that hes 6-6.  Look at Allen, hes 6-5 and solid yet has really cut back on the runs and runs into defenders like earlier in the season.

Trade down and pick up more picks... You can probably get Trey Lance, or someone else moving down between 5-10. He's got a bigger frame than Fields, can pass just as well, and he's probably just as fast if not faster than Fields.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Josh Allen ran like a wreckless deer. Let's hope they hire Daboll & draft Fields. He'll put together an offense that uses his mobility to maximize his talents like a good head coach should do. Roman could probably do the same along with Bienenemy. 

Though Allen, Mahomes, and Jackson all bring different attributes to the NFL, they all have quick twitch attributes to get on the move when they have to. That's where coaching comes in, ala, sliding, throwing the ball away. 

9 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Every QB in every draft has question marks. Mahomes got drafted 10th. 9 teams passed on him (and technically a tenth did too as they traded the pick). Many / most of those teams needed a QB. All those teams would bite your hand off for a do-over.

You just have to hope you get the guy that has question marks that can be addressed - and the coaching staff that can address them. Look at Josh Allen - he was the biggest question mark that draft, and is arguably the best player now, because his questions have been overcome and his strengths have been brought to the fore.

• Upvote 3

Fields has always been a passer first. Trevor Lawrence ran for more yards last year. Though fields is a better runner. He is good about sliding and protecting himself, though he does occasionally try to be Superman to get in the endzone. He was more aggressive running the ball because of the importance of the game- I like that. Like all prospects he needs more coaching. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Not sure why concern that Fields would be another Cam Newton is a dig, either. Can Newton — in his prime — was very often the best player on the field. His MVP/SB year he had the worst weaponz in recent memory and he put that team on his back and willed it to overachieve. Was he perfect? No. Did he win a ring? No. But if Fields is Cam Newton part deux, that’s a homerun.

Again, disagree.  Newton was a failure.  

43 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

If he gets beat up early, he will bust.  Thats why I am a proponent of trading down for a haul and building the team before the jets ruin another qb.  

Not that I want to speak of his name but as a Penn State fan, this is exactly what happened to Christian Hackenberg in college. Due was on an absolute tear and looked like a star and then his OL graduated and those who replaced him were not near the same level of talent. 

he took so many unnecessary hits the next 2 years and started playing scared in my opinion. 

Not that they are the same QB by any means, but that’s always been the eye opener for me and believing you need to solidify the line for anyone to have success. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Not that I want to speak of his name but as a Penn State fan, this is exactly what happened to Christian Hackenberg in college. Due was on an absolute tear and looked like a star and then his OL graduated and those who replaced him were not near the same level of talent. 

he took so many unnecessary hits the next 2 years and started playing scared in my opinion. 

Not that they are the same QB by any means, but that’s always been the eye opener for me and believing you need to solidify the line for anyone to have success. 

Well that, and James Franklin tried to turn him into a WR screen type of passer.

I love Justin Fields but people who just watched the Clemson game should know Ryan Day the HC executed his team plan perfectly and that obviously was a huge factor in why Fields made the plays he did. 

but I don’t take anything away from Fields because of that because ideally he gets a coach who sets him up to succeed the way Ryan Day does, a la Josh Allen and Daboll. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

By what measure? I know we're not going to agree on this. Genuinely interested by why you think it.

Average qb at best.  To be honest, I don’t like that style of qb play.  I don’t think its sustainable.  If you know any Panthers fans, and I know a bunch, they have been down on him for a decade.  Even in the super bowl year.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

Average qb at best.  To be honest, I don’t like that style of qb play.  I don’t think its sustainable.  If you know any Panthers fans, and I know a bunch, they have been down on him for a decade.  Even in the super bowl year.  

I'm a Panthers fan. Grew up in NC. Thanks for the explanation.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

That's your biggest concern? My biggest concern is that he busts. If he's great and has a shortened career, that's nowhere close to the worst-case scenario.

Seriously.

Oh no, he only had a 8 year career as a good NFL QB.   I've been watching the team since 1982, I haven't see a total of 8 good years in all that time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

1) Accuracy was spot on

This felt like it could have been 2 yards longer but I am seriously not going to nitpick...

Arm strength looks perfectly fine.