Fields longevity in NFL

2 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I love Justin Fields but people who just watched the Clemson game should know Ryan Day the HC executed his team plan perfectly and that obviously was a huge factor in why Fields made the plays he did. 

but I don’t take anything away from Fields because of that because ideally he gets a coach who sets him up to succeed the way Ryan Day does, a la Josh Allen and Daboll. 

Would you say the same about Pat Fitzgerald and the gameplan they deployed against OSU. You know the game after which everyone labeled him a bust .

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Its fine to have your personal QB draft favorite, but the nitpicking of
Fields performance against Clemson is beyond silly.  He basically was
perfect, showed incredible toughness and outplayed Lawrence.  Personally
I can't wait to see how he plays against Alabama  

absent a real clunker it's hard to see fields not being the 2nd pick in the draft.  also difficult to see darnold returning with how bad he's played, a new HC and picking 2nd.  how this all factors into the probability that fields is the new jets qb, seems high right now though obviously there are surprises along the way.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There's a lot to be concerned about with Fields...

That would be pretty low on the list - well, no more than any other candidate.

Trevor Lawrence is 6'6 with a smaller frame and rushed almost as often as Fields in College. So yeah, while there is some concern I wouldn't be any more/less concerned than if we were taking Lawrence. 

• Upvote 1

Fields torched the very same defense that gave him fits last year --The 3 High Safety look. At least it shows he is able to adjust what a defense has shown him before, and digest a game plan in doing so. 

Bottom line, the kid just looks to have moxie and has had it at a young age (watch his season on QB1).

I will be interested to see what his 40 time is at the combine (hopefully approaching under 4.5). FYI Jalen Hurts ran a 4.54, Trace Mcsorley a 4.57. 

The arm strength and drive look real. He has always been accurate.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Fields torched the very same defense that gave him fits last year --The 3 High Safety look. At least it shows he is able to adjust what a defense has shown him before, and digest a game plan in doing so. 

Bottom line, the kid just looks to have moxie and has had it at a young age (watch his season on QB1).

I will be interested to see what his 40 time is at the combine (hopefully approaching under 4.5). FYI Jalen Hurts ran a 4.45, Trace Mcsorley a 4.57. 

also he speaks well and sounds very composed.  seems like he would really be a good face of the franchise.  of course we thought that about darnold too.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will be interested to see what his 40 time is at the combine (hopefully approaching under 4.5). FYI Jalen Hurts ran a 4.54, Trace Mcsorley a 4.57. 

The 40 is rumored to be 4.3-4.4. But does it matter? His speed pops off the screen. He looks like one of the fastest players on the field when he takes off. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

also he speaks well and sounds very composed.  seems like he would really be a good face of the franchise.  of course we thought that about darnold too.

Yes, again watch QB1 on Netflix. He has been under the spotlight since a young age.  That is what we as fans don't get to see often, the personality and make-up of the college athlete. Their temperament and confidence. 

Darnold does not seem to pass the confidence test, at least in the way he plays.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Trevor Lawrence is 6'6 with a smaller frame and rushed almost as often as Fields in College. So yeah, while there is some concern I wouldn't be any more/less concerned than if we were taking Lawrence. 

Trevor's running ability is way overrated. He will not be a rusher at the next level IMHO.

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

absent a real clunker it's hard to see fields not being the 2nd pick in the draft.  also difficult to see darnold returning with how bad he's played, a new HC and picking 2nd.  how this all factors into the probability that fields is the new jets qb, seems high right now though obviously there are surprises along the way.  

The only way Fields is not the week 1 2021 starter for the NYJ is if JAX shocks everyone and drafts him #1.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will be interested to see what his 40 time is at the combine (hopefully approaching under 4.5). FYI Jalen Hurts ran a 4.45, Trace Mcsorley a 4.57. 

The only reason Fields is not a lock to go #2 is because there is a small chance JAX takes him at #1. The upside is just too great for a GM to pass.

• Upvote 3

Just now, jgb said:

Trevor's running ability is way overrated. He will not be a rusher at the next level IMHO.

The only way Fields is not the clear favorite to start week 1 2021 for the NYJ is if JAX shocks everyone and drafts him #1.

Almost a lock Fields goes #2 in draft. It is a lock that Trevor and Fields go 1-2 in any order.

i think jax is basically locked into TL at 1 b/c of the fear of what he does if they take fields.  and yeah, fields seems locked into the 2 slot.  you'd have to think that all these coaching candidates would go to douglas and the johnsons and say they're only taking the job if they get TL or fields. 

• Upvote 1

My initial comparison to Cam was not meant to be a knock.  I actually was very high on him and thought he was a freak coming out.  Played well at times but the early years of getting hit often hurt him eventually.

My concern is not that Fields is a “running QB.” My concern is more about will/can he avoid the contact. In the heat of the moment it is instinctive to try for more yardage or not. Toughest thing for a competitive person who believes they can run and get the additional yardage, is to give up... hence more hits

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i think jax is basically locked into TL at 1 b/c of the fear of what he does if they take fields.  and yeah, fields seems locked into the 2 slot.  you'd have to think that all these coaching candidates would go to douglas and the johnsons and say they're only taking the job if they get TL or fields. 

Good point about coaching candidates. Job a lot more attractive with TL/Fields. Can't see a coach with options tethering himself to Darnold.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yes, again watch QB1 on Netflix. He has been under the spotlight since a young age.  That is what we as fans don't get to see often, the personality and make-up of the college athlete. Their temperament and confidence. 

Darnold does not seem to pass the confidence test, at least in the way he plays.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Good point about coaching candidates. Job a lot more attractive with TL/Fields. Can't see a coach with options tethering himself to Darnold.

there has been so much overhype of TL and tanking all year that the national stupid narrative for the jets was that the season would be an abject failure if they didn't get TL.  now all of a sudden the 'consolation prize' looks fantastic.  what college coach wouldn't want to walk into a situation where you get fields on a rookie deal, presumably a slimmer/healthy bechton protecting him and a gm who is committed to building an offense around that, with a very favorable cap situation.  that's what's going to attract quality coaches, the prospect of getting fields and having 3 more picks in the 1st/2nd rounds to accumulate talent.  they could draft harris in the 2nd and you have another beast.  but i do expect that guys like fitzgerald who are in very good situations will basically pound the table for their qb, given how pathetic the jets have been.  who would want the jets job if douglas said they're keeping darnold and trading out of 2?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

there has been so much overhype of TL and tanking all year that the national stupid narrative for the jets was that the season would be an abject failure if they didn't get TL.  now all of a sudden the 'consolation prize' looks fantastic.  what college coach wouldn't want to walk into a situation where you get fields on a rookie deal, presumably a slimmer/healthy bechton protecting him and a gm who is committed to building an offense around that, with a very favorable cap situation.  that's what's going to attract quality coaches, the prospect of getting fields and having 3 more picks in the 1st/2nd rounds to accumulate talent.  they could draft harris in the 2nd and you have another beast.  but i do expect that guys like fitzgerald who are in very good situations will basically pound the table for their qb, given how pathetic the jets have been.  who would want the jets job if douglas said they're keeping darnold and trading out of 2?  

Daboll or Roman would have to salivate at the prospect of being HC of a team with Fields to mold.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Daboll or Roman would have to salivate at the prospect of being HC of a team with Fields to mold.

yes, on a rookie deal with decent wrs to start with.  between FA and the draft douglas could completely revamp the weapons on this team.  imagine having fields and harris there and adding a wr.  good luck covering everyone and keeping tabs on fields.  

yet if they kept darnold, traded back and balanced out the draft picks on defense the job all of a sudden becomes unattractive.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yes, on a rookie deal with decent wrs to start with.  between FA and the draft douglas could completely revamp the weapons on this team.  imagine having fields and harris there and adding a wr.  good luck covering everyone and keeping tabs on fields.  

yet if they kept darnold, traded back and balanced out the draft picks on defense the job all of a sudden becomes unattractive.

If we stick with Darnold, @SAR I is actually right that keeping Gase and firing him next year better than bringing in whatever-HC-with-no-options is willing to tether himself to Darnold and then have to fire him again in two years after they both suck.

• Upvote 1

Running QB's just get hurt. You can't rely on that constantly.  Lamar is the only possible outlier because he is amazingly aware and fast but even his time will come one day.  If we get Wilson, i wouldn't want him to run too much either.  His small frame doesn't look durable.  Imagine him taking that shot Fields took??

4 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So I fully admit I have not watched many games of Fields.  I did watch the Clemson game and there are several things that stood out as positives

1) Accuracy was spot on

2) Dual threat was able to keep Clemson on their heels

3) Toughness - not doubt he will grit it out

4) Strong arm, but it didn't seem to be a cannon.  Deep passes looked nice.

My biggest concern after watching is his longevity in the NFL.  He took some pretty good pops during that game while running the ball.  Although pretty fast for a QB, his running style reminds me of Cam Newton.  Not as shifty as Russell Wilson, not as quick as Mahomes, and certainly not as fast a Lamar.  Cam over the years has taken a beating and has impacted his on the field health and productivity.

For those that have watched Fields throughout his college, is this a legitimate concern?  and what are your thoughts.

4 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Yes, it is my biggest concern with Fields.  He is going to get beat up.  

Any coach with a brain will see that Fields is an elite arm talent .... He will be taught how to avoid unnecessary contact in the NFL I think he was just pumped up vs Clemson and could have avoided that big hit. As for his arm ? Its an absolute rocket he was throwing 20 yard darts in that game fitting the ball in small windows and he was doing it with ease. He certainly made me a believer in the way he approached this game he opened it up and played very aggressively compared to last year vs Clemson. And last years game was my biggest knock on him since it was a big game with a lot of pressure from the D.