Fields longevity in NFL

Although it comes with misery and heartache, we are fortunate that after selecting our franchise QB  few years ago, we are in the postition to do it again.  Fields has a lot of talent and has been looked at as a top QB since HS.  A few bad games in a COVID season shouldn't change his value.    The Clemson game showcased his skill set.

He can run and not only can he throw the deep ball but he showed he can he can place the ball into tight spaces.  You cannot coach that.

Sliding and progression reads can be coached.

2 hours ago, QB1 said:

Fields is the perfect example of people over-thinking things

He has been an elite prospect since highschool, literally right there with lawrence as one of the best prospects ever

Ever since stepping on the field he has been incredible- Heisman finalist last year

Opened this year with 90% comp, 1000 yards, 11 TDs, zero picks in 3 games

Has two "rough" games vs. Indiana and Northwestern. Against Indiana he still had 400 yards and 3 TDs. Vs. Northwestern he was missing half his offense and suffered a hand injury in the second half. 

Produces one of the greatest performances in college football history, throwing 4 TDs after taking one of the biggest hits I've ever seen

6'3, 230, runs 4.4, cannon arm. Great mechanics, incredible deep ball accuracy, one of the best pure throwers I've ever seen. 

If this guy drops I will have no words for us. 

100%.  I'll keep saying it, all world athlete, Ivey league brain all wrapped up into an incredible QB who has done nothing but win and live up to expectations since he was in High School.  #2 prospect in the country, behind the one and only god among men, Trevor Lawrence and he just whipped the floor with him as TL put up another embarrassing big game loss and yet another game where he looked like the lesser QB.  He's the highest rated prospect to ever play for Ohio St.  The one knock on Fields was starts/experience and big game performances.  Well, he's got over 20 starts, is about to play in a Nat'y and now he's got the historic performance to solidify his legacy.  It's like Watson all over again, you watched him have one of the greatest games ever vs. Bama, the choice was obvious and passed on him for Hack/Sam.  Dont be stupid, take Fields and lets go! 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

100%.  I'll keep saying it, all world athlete, Ivey league brain all wrapped up into an incredible QB who has done nothing but win and live up to expectations since he was in High School.  #2 prospect in the country, behind the one and only god among men, Trevor Lawrence and he just whipped the floor with him as TL put up another embarrassing big game loss and yet another game where he looked like the lesser QB.  He's the highest rated prospect to ever play for Ohio St.  The one knock on Fields was starts/experience and big game performances.  Well, he's got over 20 starts, is about to play in a Nat'y and now he's got the historic performance to solidify his legacy.  It's like Watson all over again, you watched him have one of the greatest games ever vs. Bama, the choice was obvious and passed on him for Hack/Sam.  Dont be stupid, take Fields and lets go! 

One correction, Fields was rated above Lawrence as a prep prospect by rivals.com...

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

No, I didn’t.  I never said he couldn’t be a fanatic for 2 teams, I just said it explains a lot.  

Warning: Gays present

4 hours ago, Butterfield said:

No wonder we disagree.  Nothing worse in fandom than someone who roots for more than one team.  

Not worried about Fields’ durability. He is a big, sturdy guy who hasn’t shown any signs of being injury prone in college. Hopefully we bring in a coach who encourages him to run when the lane is open while also being smart with his body. Russ, Josh, and Lamar do not miss games and they’re similar players.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So I fully admit I have not watched many games of Fields.  I did watch the Clemson game and there are several things that stood out as positives

1) Accuracy was spot on

2) Dual threat was able to keep Clemson on their heels

3) Toughness - not doubt he will grit it out

4) Strong arm, but it didn't seem to be a cannon.  Deep passes looked nice.

My biggest concern after watching is his longevity in the NFL.  He took some pretty good pops during that game while running the ball.  Although pretty fast for a QB, his running style reminds me of Cam Newton.  Not as shifty as Russell Wilson, not as quick as Mahomes, and certainly not as fast a Lamar.  Cam over the years has taken a beating and has impacted his on the field health and productivity.

For those that have watched Fields throughout his college, is this a legitimate concern?  and what are your thoughts.

People thought Luck was the 'generational safe pick talent" but career was cut short by injuries while RG3 is still playing....

RG3 was the guy people believed would have a short career.

This type of thinking does no good, because you can't predict the future. Bias and labeling also skew reality......Nobody questioned Wentz longevity, but he is injured more often than Lamar who runs for a living.

https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-injured-most/

• Upvote 1

I think Fields is the pick he will need coaching I think Daboll would be the perfect head coach.  If he can bring in Ken Dorsey as OC they can mold Fields if the Bills allow it.  The one knock I have on Fields is locks onto one receiver, but that is the problem with most college QB's.  He will have to learn his progressions better that's why he will need to be coached up

Fields is built pretty well. My concerns with him are purely as a passer. In an ideal world, a team would allow him to sit on the bench for a year-plus the way the Chiefs did with Mahomes and how the Packers are with Jordan Love. It's not his fault that he's raw cerebrally; he's a victim of circumstance. That's Ohio State... sacrifice player development to maximize present-day production. Unfortunately, the chances are he gets drafted to a team that will expect him to start sooner rather than later, in which case the offense will have to be able to tailor it to do the very thing Ohio State does: maximize present-day production while sacrificing cerebral development. Really good coaches can do both on the fly, but very hard to come by. 

I'm keeping a close eye on Atlanta. There may be an opportunity for them to draft Fields and develop him for a year or 2 behind Matt Ryan, with Ryan getting traded in 2022 or 2023. If you want to talk about a location that gives him the best chance to be successful, I feel it will be there depending on what that coaching staff looks like. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, QB1 said:

Fields is the perfect example of people over-thinking things

He has been an elite prospect since highschool, literally right there with lawrence as one of the best prospects ever

Ever since stepping on the field he has been incredible- Heisman finalist last year

Opened this year with 90% comp, 1000 yards, 11 TDs, zero picks in 3 games

Has two "rough" games vs. Indiana and Northwestern. Against Indiana he still had 400 yards and 3 TDs. Vs. Northwestern he was missing half his offense and suffered a hand injury in the second half. 

Produces one of the greatest performances in college football history, throwing 4 TDs after taking one of the biggest hits I've ever seen

6'3, 230, runs 4.4, cannon arm. Great mechanics, incredible deep ball accuracy, one of the best pure throwers I've ever seen. 

If this guy drops I will have no words for us. 

In that Indiana game I believe he was missing many weapons due to Covid protocols.  The ultimate test was just played against Clemson and Fields blew away his competition.  I'm actually wondering if Jax still takes Lawrence.

13 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Also, serious question.  Does anyone ever, like ever, ask "durability" questions about white QBs?

Why the **** does this question have to be injected here?  Always somebody that has to make a perfect football thread about race.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

Fields is built pretty well. My concerns with him are purely as a passer. In an ideal world, a team would allow him to sit on the bench for a year-plus the way the Chiefs did with Mahomes and how the Packers are with Jordan Love. It's not his fault that he's raw cerebrally; he's a victim of circumstance. That's Ohio State... sacrifice player development to maximize present-day production. Unfortunately, the chances are he gets drafted to a team that will expect him to start sooner rather than later, in which case the offense will have to be able to tailor it to do the very thing Ohio State does: maximize present-day production while sacrificing cerebral development. Really good coaches can do both on the fly, but very hard to come by. 

I'm keeping a close eye on Atlanta. There may be an opportunity for them to draft Fields and develop him for a year or 2 behind Matt Ryan, with Ryan getting traded in 2022 or 2023. If you want to talk about a location that gives him the best chance to be successful, I feel it will be there depending on what that coaching staff looks like. 

If we draft a quarterback, whoever it is, I prefer this method. Let them sit for at least 8 games, preferably the whole year. 

Hell, bring Fitzmagic back for a season while we do it. 

38 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If we draft a quarterback, whoever it is, I prefer this method. Let them sit for at least 8 games, preferably the whole year. 

Hell, bring Fitzmagic back for a season while we do it. 

I agree. I don't think Wilson or Fields are ready, and starting them day 1 would probably do more harm than good. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GothamLurker said:

People thought Luck was the 'generational safe pick talent" but career was cut short by injuries while RG3 is still playing....

RG3 was the guy people believed would have a short career.

This type of thinking does no good, because you can't predict the future. Bias and labeling also skew reality......Nobody questioned Wentz longevity, but he is injured more often than Lamar who runs for a living.

https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-injured-most/

Eh, RG3 has basically been a backup for most/ a lot of his career. Not sure the comparison is entirely valid. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not concerned although every QB is a sitting duck and ultimately one hit away.   He stands tall in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield.  That's what pro QB who are good have to do and it's what puts them at greatest risk.  He looks very solidly built with a good base.  He throws off that base in the pocket.  

Injuries are a fact of life in the NFL.  Athletic QB's as opposed to running QB's is where the league is going.  The fact that he has great speed will simply give him more downfield yards when it presents itself.  

My biggest fear is we draft him and put him in an RPO system where he is a running back.  He needs to be coached in an NFL system.  He's got the tools to be very good.  He's going to get a chance to prove it early in the draft.