Jets HC interview requests

From Colts.com:

https://www.colts.com/team/coaches-roster/matt-eberflus

Eberflus enters his third season as defensive coordinator for the Colts. He has 28 years of coaching experience, including 11 seasons in the NFL.

With a coaching background rooted in the linebacker position, Eberflus has helped develop Darius Leonard into one of the most productive linebackers in the NFL. Since being selected by the Colts in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft, Leonard is a two-time Associated Press All-Pro and was named to the Pro Bowl in 2019. His career totals include 284 tackles (182 solo), 19.0 tackles for loss, 12.0 sacks, seven interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 15 passes defensed, six forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Since 2018, Leonard ranks in the top-five in the NFL in total tackles (third), solo tackles (second), forced fumbles (tied-fourth) and interceptions (first) among linebackers.

Coaching Career

1992 Toledo Student Assistant Coach

1993 Toledo Graduate Assistant

1994-1995 Toledo Recruiting Coordinator/Outside Linebackers

1996-1998 Toledo Outside Linebackers

1999-2000 Toledo Defensive Backs

2001-2005 Missouri Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs

2006-2008 Missouri Associate Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/Safeties

2009-2010 Cleveland Browns Linebackers

2011-2015 Dallas Cowboys Linebackers

2016-2017 Dallas Cowboys Passing Game Coordinator/Linebackers

2018-2020 Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator

• Upvote 3

Admittedly not a name I'm familiar with much.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/EberMa0.htm

Two top 10 (barely) Defenses in 2018 & 2020, a mid-ranked D in 2019.

Coaching History

Year Age Level Employer Role
1992 22 College (FBS) Toledo Student Assistant
1993 23 College (FBS) Toledo Graduate Assistant
1994 24 College (FBS) Toledo Outside Linebackers
1995 25 College (FBS) Toledo Outside Linebackers
1996 26 College (FBS) Toledo Outside Linebackers
1997 27 College (FBS) Toledo Outside Linebackers
1998 28 College (FBS) Toledo Outside Linebackers
1999 29 College (FBS) Toledo Defensive Backs
2000 30 College (FBS) Toledo Defensive Backs
2001 31 College (FBS) Missouri Defensive Coordinator
2002 32 College (FBS) Missouri Defensive Coordinator
2003 33 College (FBS) Missouri Defensive Coordinator
2004 34 College (FBS) Missouri Defensive Coordinator
2005 35 College (FBS) Missouri Defensive Coordinator
2006 36 College (FBS) Missouri Defensive Coordinator
2007 37 College (FBS) Missouri Defensive Coordinator
2008 38 College (FBS) Missouri Defensive Coordinator
2009 39 NFL Cleveland Browns Linebackers
2010 40 NFL Cleveland Browns Linebackers
2011 41 NFL Dallas Cowboys Linebackers
2012 42 NFL Dallas Cowboys Linebackers
2013 43 NFL Dallas Cowboys Linebackers
2014 44 NFL Dallas Cowboys Linebackers
2015 45 NFL Dallas Cowboys Linebackers
2016 46 NFL Dallas Cowboys Linebackers
2017 47 NFL Dallas Cowboys Linebackers
2018 48 NFL Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator
2019 49 NFL Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator
2020 50 NFL Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

From Colts.com:

https://www.colts.com/team/coaches-roster/matt-eberflus

Eberflus enters his third season as defensive coordinator for the Colts. He has 28 years of coaching experience, including 11 seasons in the NFL.

With a coaching background rooted in the linebacker position, Eberflus has helped develop Darius Leonard into one of the most productive linebackers in the NFL. Since being selected by the Colts in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft, Leonard is a two-time Associated Press All-Pro and was named to the Pro Bowl in 2019. His career totals include 284 tackles (182 solo), 19.0 tackles for loss, 12.0 sacks, seven interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 15 passes defensed, six forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Since 2018, Leonard ranks in the top-five in the NFL in total tackles (third), solo tackles (second), forced fumbles (tied-fourth) and interceptions (first) among linebackers.

Coaching Career

1992 Toledo Student Assistant Coach

1993 Toledo Graduate Assistant

1994-1995 Toledo Recruiting Coordinator/Outside Linebackers

1996-1998 Toledo Outside Linebackers

1999-2000 Toledo Defensive Backs

2001-2005 Missouri Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs

2006-2008 Missouri Associate Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator/Safeties

2009-2010 Cleveland Browns Linebackers

2011-2015 Dallas Cowboys Linebackers

2016-2017 Dallas Cowboys Passing Game Coordinator/Linebackers

2018-2020 Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator

Pass! No more wannabees! Let's get a real fking coach!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Eberflus appears to be a capable, experienced person, but there is no evidence from his resume that he can be a HC/CEO.  Not that he can't, but there is no evidence that he can.  

I have to think though that one reason the Jets HC don't become what we want them to has to be somewhat related to how the Jets operate.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The only intrigue is which team takes a shot on Bieniemy. The rest of these candidates are the same guy.

from what I have heard there really only is one team (houston), that is seriously into him as a coach.  I know there are several red flags in his past that has given organizations pause, but it just seems like he's bombed so many coaching interviews at this point a lot of organizations arent interested.   Despite the mainstream media's obsession with him and constant pushing for him to be e HC. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

The jets search is going to be very very thorough and I expect it to take all of three plus weeks to come to a conclusion.  Could be less, if someone seriously impresses. 

To be honest, I am not necessarily convinced that "thorough" gets you a better HC.

JD and Co. should have been thinking about candidates for months.  Does a day long interview, if that, really dictate who the best candidate is?

I think what will happen is that the teams with their acts together will grab the best candidates, leaving the Jets with the scraps.

If Jim Harbaugh calls and says he will take the job and let JD handle the roster, does CJ say great, but we need to interview Eberflus and Biennemy first?  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I’m not going to overreact to every name we interview. I’m pretty lukewarm on this one but I don’t know much about him if anything so who am I to say. This is going to be a long process boys. 

Agreed. If we do hire a defensive coordinator. We gotta see who they bring on as the OC.  

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

To be honest, I am not necessarily convinced that "thorough" gets you a better HC.

JD and Co. should have been thinking about candidates for months.  Does a day long interview, if that, really dictate who the best candidate is?

I think what will happen is that the teams with their acts together will grab the best candidates, leaving the Jets with the scraps.

If Jim Harbaugh calls and says he will take the job and let JD handle the roster, does CJ say great, but we need to interview Eberflus and Biennemy first?  

I think if they feel one individual is better than all the rest they will act quickly.  For instance if Matt Campbell says he is interested, I think this ends pretty quickly as everything I've heard is he was their top candidate.  I think for sure they have a short list of guys they are much higher on than others, but that does not mean they wont at least hear guys out.  

But to answer your question, no if one of their top candidates wants the job, they will not be saying hold on we need to interview Eberflus.