Jets HC interview requests

25 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If you're at interview to be HC and you're asking for staff recommendations....I gotta think he ain't ready to be a HC.

If you have people in mind and they either dont want to leave or their team blocks the move?

18 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

These days, Glenn sometimes tells Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore he’s going to have to give him help against a particular wide receiver, as Parcells used to tell Glenn. Lattimore bristles, as Glenn once did. But then he usually balls out.

After 11 years in the league, safety Malcolm Jenkins returned to the Saints this year with a preference for being near the action — in the box, part of the run fit, blitzing or in press coverage. Glenn needed him to play deep more, and he and Jenkins have had an ongoing conversation about the mental aspects of expanding his role. It’s stretching the player, a Parcells hallmark.

“His ability to really fine-tune how I need to play each game based off the strategy is something that has helped me be more engaged and make more plays doing things outside of my comfort zone,” says Jenkins, who watched Glenn play for the Jets as a kid in New Jersey. “I like to think I know a lot about the game, but Aaron finds ways to improve my game, teaches me areas I can work on and teaches me new things, which is rare. I appreciate that.”

Parcells never shied from confrontation, and he always was comfortable dealing in uncomfortable truths. Two years ago, when it became apparent that Vonn Bell had to play ahead of veteran Kurt Coleman, Glenn didn’t force Coleman to read the tea leaves to find out about it. He told him frankly and pointedly.

Glenn’s messages to his players are more likely to be coated with salt than sugar. “I’m appreciative of how direct he is, whether he thought we had a good game, a good practice, bad practice,” Jenkins says. “He’s going to keep it real.”

Sometimes, that means being “easy to hear,” according to Payton. Glenn can get loud if the circumstances call for it. But he won’t do it indiscriminately.

Glenn had his share of blisterings from Parcells, like the time Parcells found out he was sitting out a practice through an athletic trainer instead of directly from Glenn. After lambasting a player, Parcells usually found him later in the day, put an arm around him and calmly explained why he had been upset. Glenn does it the same way.

Glenn deals with players based on an individual-by-individual basis. “Marshon needs me to be tough on him,” Glenn says. “He needs me to be stern and let him know exactly where he stands and what he needs to do. Then you take my nickel, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. … He’s a guy you don’t want to yell and scream at because he doesn’t respond to that really well.”

At 5:30 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 28, Glenn’s phone rang. He knew who it was, and he knew what was coming. His defensive backs had allowed three touchdowns in a loss to the Packers the previous day.

Glenn: “Hello.”

Parcells: “What the hell happened?”

Glenn: “How did you see it?”

Parcells: “You gotta get your guys to play with more eye discipline.”

Glenn: “I know it, Coach, you’re right.”

Parcells: “They’re trying to defend the run, and they’re not looking at the guys they are covering. They have to have better eyes.”

Glenn: “Coach, I’m on it.”

Parcells: “You shouldn’t have lost that game. All right, bye.”

That was the whole conversation, start to finish.

The calls regularly come after Saints games. Glenn looks forward to them, part of his continuing education.

The voice on the phone is a voice in his head anyway.

Glenn wants to know everything he can about the game. He sits in on the Saints’ special teams meetings just to learn. Glenn frequently questions college coaches such as Florida Atlantic defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt about the game’s progression at that level. During his downtime, he researches trends. Last offseason, he looked at why passing yards and points were increasing. He recently did a study on how Belichick’s defensive philosophy was evolving.

Glenn and Belichick often spend time together on the draft workout circuit. He acknowledges they have spoken about working together someday, and he was rumored to be a candidate to replace Matt Patricia as Belichick’s defensive coordinator in 2018.

Belichick is one of many who have been mentors to Glenn. Others whom he still seeks counsel from include Carroll, Crennel, Groh and Darrell Wade, his coach at Nimitz High School.

In the offseason, Glenn visits some of them. And he almost always takes a trip to see his primary mentor in Florida. They will either meet at Parcells’ home or in a private area of a restaurant. A stack of Glenn’s notebooks will be on the table. For three or four days, they talk football and only football. Parcells proposes a hypothetical game situation and asks Glenn what he would do. Parcells tells stories from his coaching days. They analyze systems. They talk about how front-line play and linebacker play blend with back-end play. They break down offenses, defenses and special teams. Parcells talks about what to say in front of a team. They discuss discipline options. Parcells goes over questions an owner might ask him.

“I will tell you unequivocally, Aaron tries to prepare himself for all the options,” Parcells says. “He wants to know everything.”

It’s one of the reasons Parcells and Payton believe Glenn will be a head coach in the NFL.

The only unknown, it seems, is when. Glenn never has been a coordinator. He has called defensive plays, and Saints coordinator Dennis Allen — his college teammate at A&M — gives him the reigns from time to time. At 48, with 24 years of NFL experience, he hardly is green.

Glenn always has been ahead of where he was supposed to be. As a high school freshman, he started on varsity both ways. He started his first game in junior college, his first game at A&M, and his first game with the Jets.

There was a reason for all of it.

“It’s so important to him,” Payton says.

“I don’t really know anyone who works as hard as my husband,” Devaney says. “He’s very passionate about it. Like Parcells.”

“The thing I would say is Aaron really likes football, and I really like football,” Parcells says. “You’d be surprised. Not every coach likes it as much as guys like Aaron and myself.”

Parcells, who talks about “the narcotic” of his profession, tried to walk away from football, too. But he couldn’t. He returned three times after retirements.

The gene they share? It’s the one that makes them addicted to football.

Great article, Thanks

Maybe Glenn is a top candidate for the HC spot instead of the DC spot.   i know the article is a fluff article, but very interesting none the less.  I'd love to see Glenn come in.  Mostly because I loved him as a player, really don't know what he would be as a HC, but he's certainly talking to the right people.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

Former Jets star and current DB coach in New Orleans, Aaron Glenn just added to the list of interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Smart move interviewing position coaches. The fact is the qualities that make you a great HC may not have much of a bearing on whether you have ever worked as an OC or DC. If you've been around football your whole life as a player and coach, that is all the "football experience" you really need. The question of whether you would make a great HC should be focused on your skills and god given talents as a leader and organizer. It may sound silly, but the great coaches are uber-organized and just have "it" when it comes to leadership. The other important consideration are the candidates football "philosophy" and how they would intend to build a winning culture.

As an example, Rex had some pretty solid leadership skills. But he was not really very organized. It was a perpetual fire drill with him at the helm. It is tough to succeed long term with that type of unfocused urgency. On the other hand, Eric Mangini was a model of organization, but the guy would have a problem leading cub scouts.   

I applaud the Jets for casting a wide net and interviewing position coaches. People forget, Herm jumped the line and his deficiencies had nothing to do with the fact that he was never a co-ordinator. They had more to do with his frustratingly conservative philosophy and inability to understand the minor complexities of the time clock and time outs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

21 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Glenn deals with players based on an individual-by-individual basis. “Marshon needs me to be tough on him,” Glenn says. “He needs me to be stern and let him know exactly where he stands and what he needs to do. Then you take my nickel, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. … He’s a guy you don’t want to yell and scream at because he doesn’t respond to that really well.”

This was one of Parcell's greatest traits.  And the best High School sports coach I had ever played for was the same way. He knew how to get the best out of every kid -- which ones to praise, which ones to ignore, which ones to berate and which ones invite over his house for dinner. I really don't think that type of EQ is something you can learn. It is God-given.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I’m surprised Saleh is even interviewing here to be honest. He’s probably the top candidate, especially with the potential to bring LaFleur or McDaniels over from SF as an OC. Seemed like he was automatic for Detroit and probably still is...

...but the fly in that ointment for that is they still need to hire a GM. Which will come first and how would that GM feel about their own HC, etc.

Who knows maybe Saleh hits it off with Douglas?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I wonder if some of the college coaches prefer to keep their interest silent, so as not to impact recruiting.  With zoom interviews, nobody is going to see college coaches at or near the facility to report thier interest.

I think with the Pandemic going on this might work in our favor keeping things close to the vest and being a bot more methodical.

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

they interviewed Marvin Lewis?! The heck is goin on 

Not really a surprise, there have been murmurings for weeks that he would be a candidate.

Maybe a fallback option. We could do better, but we could also do worse.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Great article.  It seems like, unlike the last time we were looking for a head coach, there is a pretty long list of good candidates.  In the assistant coach realm I like Staley, Saleh, Daboll, Smith, and even Martindale.  I like Aaron Glenn a lot too, if he's ready.  And then there are a few college coaches like Campbell, Shaw (maybe the Douglas connection will finally draw him out), Fitzgerald and Harbaugh.

Last time, the main choices seemed fewer and were either weak, damaged, or a reach.  I liked Rhule and Monken the best, but I wasn't completely sold on them.  It always seems that our coaching searches end with the best possibilities falling off for whatever reason and we get stuck picking from the bargain bin. I feel like this time the pool is so deep that we can miss out on a couple and still have strong options to choose from.  Here's hoping.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Wow. I love Aaron Glenn. Was praying we would get him in that draft, and was ecstatic when he fell to us. He had a really good career with us and then the Texans.

Hadn't considered him at all for the HC job (I was hoping he might be a DC candidate) but I'm not opposed, if JD feels he's ready. It would be amazing to have a former Jets' great as our HC.

Despite positive reviews for his coaching work so far, this would be quite a jump to head coach for #31.  Kudos to Jets management for reaching out to him, though.  Even if he's not quite ready, it shows that they're looking for diamonds in the rough, and also demonstrates respect for our history. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I’m very encouraged by this list. Can’t wait to have a new coach & get back to the business of free agency when it starts. 
On a side note, imagine if we hire Saleh & he hired Aaron Glenn as DC? 
THAT could lead to a trade for Marshon Lattimore & THAT WOULD MAKE ME A HAPPY JET FAN! Lattimore- Hall- Poole- Davis- Maye 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

These days, Glenn sometimes tells Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore he’s going to have to give him help against a particular wide receiver, as Parcells used to tell Glenn. Lattimore bristles, as Glenn once did. But then he usually balls out.

After 11 years in the league, safety Malcolm Jenkins returned to the Saints this year with a preference for being near the action — in the box, part of the run fit, blitzing or in press coverage. Glenn needed him to play deep more, and he and Jenkins have had an ongoing conversation about the mental aspects of expanding his role. It’s stretching the player, a Parcells hallmark.

“His ability to really fine-tune how I need to play each game based off the strategy is something that has helped me be more engaged and make more plays doing things outside of my comfort zone,” says Jenkins, who watched Glenn play for the Jets as a kid in New Jersey. “I like to think I know a lot about the game, but Aaron finds ways to improve my game, teaches me areas I can work on and teaches me new things, which is rare. I appreciate that.”

Parcells never shied from confrontation, and he always was comfortable dealing in uncomfortable truths. Two years ago, when it became apparent that Vonn Bell had to play ahead of veteran Kurt Coleman, Glenn didn’t force Coleman to read the tea leaves to find out about it. He told him frankly and pointedly.

Glenn’s messages to his players are more likely to be coated with salt than sugar. “I’m appreciative of how direct he is, whether he thought we had a good game, a good practice, bad practice,” Jenkins says. “He’s going to keep it real.”

Sometimes, that means being “easy to hear,” according to Payton. Glenn can get loud if the circumstances call for it. But he won’t do it indiscriminately.

Glenn had his share of blisterings from Parcells, like the time Parcells found out he was sitting out a practice through an athletic trainer instead of directly from Glenn. After lambasting a player, Parcells usually found him later in the day, put an arm around him and calmly explained why he had been upset. Glenn does it the same way.

At 5:30 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 28, Glenn’s phone rang. He knew who it was, and he knew what was coming. His defensive backs had allowed three touchdowns in a loss to the Packers the previous day.

Parcells: “They’re trying to defend the run, and they’re not looking at the guys they are covering. They have to have better eyes.”

The calls regularly come after Saints games. Glenn looks forward to them, part of his continuing education.

Glenn wants to know everything he can about the game. He sits in on the Saints’ special teams meetings just to learn. Glenn frequently questions college coaches such as Florida Atlantic defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt about the game’s progression at that level. During his downtime, he researches trends. Last offseason, he looked at why passing yards and points were increasing. He recently did a study on how Belichick’s defensive philosophy was evolving.

Glenn and Belichick often spend time together on the draft workout circuit. He acknowledges they have spoken about working together someday, and he was rumored to be a candidate to replace Matt Patricia as Belichick’s defensive coordinator in 2018.

Belichick is one of many who have been mentors to Glenn. Others whom he still seeks counsel from include Carroll, Crennel, Groh and Darrell Wade, his coach at Nimitz High School.

In the offseason, Glenn visits some of them. And he almost always takes a trip to see his primary mentor in Florida. They will either meet at Parcells’ home or in a private area of a restaurant. A stack of Glenn’s notebooks will be on the table. For three or four days, they talk football and only football. Parcells proposes a hypothetical game situation and asks Glenn what he would do. Parcells tells stories from his coaching days. They analyze systems. They talk about how front-line play and linebacker play blend with back-end play. They break down offenses, defenses and special teams. Parcells talks about what to say in front of a team. They discuss discipline options. Parcells goes over questions an owner might ask him.

“I will tell you unequivocally, Aaron tries to prepare himself for all the options,” Parcells says. “He wants to know everything.”

It’s one of the reasons Parcells and Payton believe Glenn will be a head coach in the NFL.

The only unknown, it seems, is when. Glenn never has been a coordinator. He has called defensive plays, and Saints coordinator Dennis Allen — his college teammate at A&M — gives him the reigns from time to time. At 48, with 24 years of NFL experience, he hardly is green.

Glenn always has been ahead of where he was supposed to be. As a high school freshman, he started on varsity both ways. He started his first game in junior college, his first game at A&M, and his first game with the Jets.

“I don’t really know anyone who works as hard as my husband,” Devaney says. “He’s very passionate about it. Like Parcells.”

“The thing I would say is Aaron really likes football, and I really like football,” Parcells says. “You’d be surprised. Not every coach likes it as much as guys like Aaron and myself.”

Parcells, who talks about “the narcotic” of his profession, tried to walk away from football, too. But he couldn’t. He returned three times after retirements.

I’m sold 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Interview requests:

• Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy 

• Titans OC Arthur Smith

• Bills OC Brian Daboll

• Colts DC Matt Eberflus 

• Rams DC Brandon Staley 

• Giants DC Patrick Graham 

Saints Secondary Coach Aaron Glenn

• 49ers DC Robert Saleh

• Marvin Lewis

Interviews completed:

• Marvin Lewis

Signed with other teams:

• Giants DC Patrick Graham - back to NYG

I'm loving how they are handling the head coach search so far! Leave no stone unturned and kick every tire you see JD. That's how real organizations get the job done and not just hire the first coke whore that came along after robbing his last john.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I am kinda convinced we are going after a college coach but still interviewing all the potential NFL guys. My gut tells me they are in full press mode for Campbell. I felt that reading through the lines CEO type, NFL experience not required, etc,,,it screamed college coach. Could be Harbaugh I guess to but I see Campbells and JDs personalities matching real well. Plus I think Campbell would handle the NY Press well. We will see. Anyone other than Daboll or Bieniemy

I am thinking the same way you are as to the college ranks, but I think the target is Fitzgerald.

Interview requests:

• Titans OC Arthur Smith

• Bills OC Brian Daboll

• Colts DC Matt Eberflus 

• Rams DC Brandon Staley 

• Giants DC Patrick Graham 

• Saints Secondary Coach Aaron Glenn

• 49ers DC Robert Saleh

• Marvin Lewis

Interviews completed:

• Marvin Lewis

Signed with other teams:

• Giants DC Patrick Graham - back to NYG

Scratch Patrick graham off the list, he’s staying with the giants

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I’m very encouraged by this list. Can’t wait to have a new coach & get back to the business of free agency when it starts. 
On a side note, imagine if we hire Saleh & he hired Aaron Glenn as DC? 
THAT could lead to a trade for Marshon Lattimore & THAT WOULD MAKE ME A HAPPY JET FAN! Lattimore- Hall- Poole- Davis- Maye 

That would be a great combo. But who would we get to run the offense?

7 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I think it moved....

Oh come on man don’t get me more excited about someone I’m already overrating because I loved him as a player.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jgb said:

Should bring in Gregg Williams for an interview as a total denunciation of the Gase era. 

Would we be asking him to graph out on PowerPoint how his defense got rocked for a 14-46 record over the last 4 years? 

That would be fun to watch in a meeting room. 

• Haha 1

I love the Aaron Glenn story but I have to wonder if he’s ready to be a head coach. I definitely wouldn’t mind bringing him in  to run the defense. 

Just stay away from Marvin Lewis. I’m really hoping the Bills lose Saturday. I want our focus to shift strictly on Brian Daboll. He has done a FANTASTIC job with Allen. I cannot get over it. 

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

I love the Aaron Glenn story but I have to wonder if he’s ready to be a head coach. I definitely wouldn’t mind bringing him in  to run the defense. 

Just stay away from Marvin Lewis. I’m really hoping the Bills lose Saturday. I want our focus to shift strictly on Brian Daboll. He has done a FANTASTIC job with Allen. I cannot get over it. 

Daboll has done a very good job with the Bills' O, but I do wonder about his personality as a potential HC candidate.

He just seems like a fairly low-key, soft-spoken guy. Whether he has the dynamic leadership qualities required of a head coach is a big question for me.