Jets HC interview requests

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

To be honest, I am not necessarily convinced that "thorough" gets you a better HC.

JD and Co. should have been thinking about candidates for months.  Does a day long interview, if that, really dictate who the best candidate is?

I think what will happen is that the teams with their acts together will grab the best candidates, leaving the Jets with the scraps.

If Jim Harbaugh calls and says he will take the job and let JD handle the roster, does CJ say great, but we need to interview Eberflus and Biennemy first?  

They have been vetting candidates internally for several months.  The list is being drawn up by Douglas.  That’s a good thing.

The problem with the Johnsons has always been they have no football knowledge and no business sense.  They couldn’t identify a leader under any circumstances.  If they met George Patton they wouldn’t recognize his leadership qualities.

• Upvote 3

Also something to keep in mind during these interviews.  Even though JD has an opinion on Sam, the QB decision in general will largely be a collaborative effort.  During these interviews, it will allow JD to get multiple opinions on the decision from a lot of outside sources, which while they may not sway his decision, will certainly give him better context for it.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I was intrigued that in addition to all of his defensive experience, he was the passing game coordinator for the cowboys in 2016-2017, but then I looked and saw the Cowboys had the 23rd and 26th ranked passing O in those seasons. 

Passing O?  He was the defensive passing game coordinator.  They were 26 and 11 in passing yards.  I think their TD allowed was pretty bad, but it is tough to judge him on that.  They were very stout against the run those years.  I think their net yards per attempt was pretty good both years, and was better than before or after he got the job.

IMO none of these request are actually going to get the position.  It is completely possible they knock their interviews out of the water and surprise for sure, but the singular one thing I have heard from the middle of the season on is that the jets are looking for a true HC/CEO with a commanding personality and presence.  

So far those names do not necessarily immediately fit that description. 

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

Eberflus appears to be a capable, experienced person, but there is no evidence from his resume that he can be a HC/CEO.  Not that he can't, but there is no evidence that he can.  

I have to think though that one reason the Jets HC don't become what we want them to has to be somewhat related to how the Jets operate.

Can’t the fact that there is no evidence that he can be a HC/CEO be said about any coordinator that hasn’t been ahead coach?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Odds are only one of these "hot coordinator" types will ever amount to much as a successful head coach in the NFL.  And a lot of that will have to do with the roster that's built and the talent they have to work with.

Which is a long way of stating the obvious:  we just have to hope that Douglas is the right guy to identify the correct coach and build him a roster that he can have sustained success with.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Also something to keep in mind during these interviews.  Even though JD has an opinion on Sam, the QB decision in general will largely be a collaborative effort.  During these interviews, it will allow JD to get multiple opinions on the decision from a lot of outside sources, which while they may not sway his decision, will certainly give him better context for it.  

Also,  it'll give JD an outside perspective of what other feel about the current roster and their plans moving forward. It can help identify strengths and weaknesses of your organization that you may not have otherwise seen from inside the bubble. The more opinions the better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Eberflus is interesting....

He was an unknown position coach when Frank Reich brought him in, but he’s overachieved with that Colts D(IMO) since he’s been there and they don’t run an over complicated scheme....He’s been highly regarded around the league since his 1st season as DC and Darius Leonard had that breakout rookie season...

This go around I don’t believe the coach should HAVE to come from the offensive side of the ball. I just think the guy needs to be a leader of men, a culture changer, and can hire an excellent staff 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Passing O?  He was the defensive passing game coordinator.  They were 26 and 11 in passing yards.  I think their TD allowed was pretty bad, but it is tough to judge him on that.  They were very stout against the run those years.  I think their net yards per attempt was pretty good both years, and was better than before or after he got the job.

My bad, it did not say "Defensive" Passing Game Coordinator, so I assumed it was Dallas's passing game he was coordinating. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Matt Eberflus is someone to watch. Joe Douglas has signed/traded for 3 Indy DB's since taking over as GM of the Jets.

There's a connection there. 

Yeah it's thru Rex Hogan, who I forgot about honestly.  Think Hogan is going to have a lot of influence on Douglas in this HC search.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

They have been vetting candidates internally for several months.  The list is being drawn up by Douglas.  That’s a good thing.

The problem with the Johnsons has always been they have no football knowledge and no business sense.  They couldn’t identify a leader under any circumstances.  If they met George Patton they wouldn’t recognize his leadership qualities.

Agree with sentiment but Johnsons might be the most business-savvy owners in the NFL if profitability is the measure of business sense, which it usually is.

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

My bad, it did not say "Defensive" Passing Game Coordinator, so I assumed it was Dallas's passing game he was coordinating. 

Can't imagine that Jason Garrett would let a LB coach run his passing game.  ;)  I think he took over from Kris Richard who was considered a somewhat credible candidate at some point and I think their pass D improved.  The Cowboys had a bunch of talented guys blocked by Marinelli and Linehan.  Normally with success the coordinators get hired up by others, but those two are older guys nobody wanted for head coach.  The Cowboys countered with titles like defensive passing game coordinator.  It may not have amounted to much more than a sign of respect.

25 minutes ago, Icer said:

They are going to interview everyone under the sun per reports. It will be a long drawn out process, lets hope JD picks the right guy and the Johnson's listen

Usually when this happens I’m in such a rush to find out who the new hire will be. This time around, I’m not even going to sweat it. I’m going to enjoy the Jets going through this process and wait and see what happens. Sounds like it will be a long process indeed. 

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Sounds like Jets put in a request for Bienemy. @T0mShane

Odds-on favorite.

6 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I hope they interview everyone and anyone.

Interview 40 candidates.

Do not care.

Problem with this is by the time you get through them all, the best candidates are taken. No excuse not to have a short list and start with your top priorities and when you find one, you terminate the process and bring him on board.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

37 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

from what I have heard there really only is one team (houston), that is seriously into him as a coach.  I know there are several red flags in his past that has given organizations pause, but it just seems like he's bombed so many coaching interviews at this point a lot of organizations arent interested.   Despite the mainstream media's obsession with him and constant pushing for him to be e HC. 

Well as always it's 2 fold. Even one zoom session to interview him should/would satisfy the Rooney rule, and if there is interest at this time between him and the Jets it maybe can be more than that. Jets may say in confidence they likely will pick one of the top QBs with their pick and that they will spend the cap $ they have to build around the kid along with all the other draft picks this year and next year. I don't see the Falcons or Lions with that kind of situation as we have the higher draft pick then they do not requiring us unlike them to trade up, where if they do to get up that high from where they are they will lose even more of their draft picks. And neither of those teams are really better than the Jets overall other than the Falcons being somewhat more talented  though many of their top players are aging vets. Also those teams do not have the available cap space the Jets have at their disposal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

A decent article on Eberflus: https://horseshoeheroes.com/2020/12/03/colts-would-be-crazy-to-let-matt-eberflus-leave-for-head-coaching-job/

Another rock solid candidate that a lot of people aren’t talking about too much yet

A DC. Great. Frank Gore licking his chops in his chase of Emmitt. Another 4 years should do it. 

9 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I hope they interview everyone and anyone.

Interview 40 candidates.

Do not care.

The only problem with this is if the guy you finally settle on is hired by another team by the time your 40 interviews are finished. A lot of teams are looking for head coaches; we don't want to wind up with one of the leftovers.

• Upvote 1