Jets HC interview requests

2 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So this tells me that Chris J is more involved than he should be.  I don’t think this is a JD pick. Do you?

You are reading way too much into this.  Rex Hogan is on Joe Douglas staff and has experience

with Eberflus from his time in IND.  To me that's Douglas "quizzing" his staff for candidates and

getting a suggestion, which is what we want

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Put me down for: NOT ANOTHER HOT NAME COORDINATOR

I want an Executive.

A visionary.

A leader of men.  All men.

Enough with the one sided coordinators.  Haven't we learned our lesson already? Christmas.

I'm down for a comeback. Let me talk it over with the boss.

v.jpg

6 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I want an Executive.

A visionary.

Enough with the one sided coordinators.  Haven't we learned our lesson already? Christmas.

I think the presumption is that someone who is a good coordinator can rise to the level of a good HC.

But the key to me is that the HC can't be a de facto coordinator as well.  

Rex, Bowles and Gase were de facto DCs and OC.  Some would argue that Bowles was not, but then Kacy was not doing the job either.   When Chan Gailey was Bowles OC the team looked pretty good.  With Morton and Bates, with bad talent, not as much.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

So this tells me that Chris J is more involved than he should be.  I don’t think this is a JD pick. Do you?

I don’t think it’s fair to jump to that conclusion right now. They’re gonna interview any and everyone to start. Once we get to 2nd interviews and they have a short list then I think it’s fair to gauge who JD likes and what are the outside influences...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Odds-on favorite.

Problem with this is by the time you get through them all, the best candidates are taken. No excuse not to have a short list and start with your top priorities and when you find one, you terminate the process and bring him on board.

Yup.  Good to be thorough but lets make sure we get or top candidates in before they get snatched up by other teams.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I want an Executive.

A visionary.

How many "Executive" and "leader of men" head coaches were not coordinators before becoming head coaches? Anyone available with head coaching experience either failed at a previous team or is coming from college with no NFL experience, unless we get Harbaugh, or Cowher decides to come out of retirement.

7 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well as always it's 2 fold. Even one zoom session to interview him should/would satisfy the Rooney rule, and if there is interest at this time between him and the Jets it maybe can be more than that. Jets may say in confidence they likely will pick one of the top QBs with their pick and that they will spend the cap $ they have to build around the kid along with all the other draft picks this year and next year. I don't see the Falcons or Lions with that kind of situation as we have the higher draft pick then they do not requiring us unlike them to trade up, where if they do to get up that high from where they are they will lose even more of their draft picks. And neither of those teams are really better than the Jets overall other than the Falcons being somewhat more talented  though many of their top players are aging vets. Also those teams do not have the available cap space the Jets have at their disposal.

I just personally do not think they have interest in him as a HC option.  He was underwhelming by all accounts in his interview for the position the last go around.  I believe its more of a picking his brain on the QB and roster than anything else, also covering all their bases.    

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

There was already a report in the media that CJ, Hymie the Robot, and JD will be involved in the search, with CJ making the final decision. So expect many more years of misery...

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Don;t know the guy, have heard the name.  I've gone on record as saying I want an overall builder type of head coach or an offensive guy.  If his big claim to fame is developing  darius leonard then no thanks.

Here ya go Beer - Bob The Builder. Build it and he will come.

Bob.jpg

Bienemy has too much baggage.  Got in trouble for leaving the scene of an accident, charged with a DUI in a separate incident.  Got banned from the Colorado campus for 1 year for harassing and assaulting a parking lot attendant. This was all many years ago but it sticks with you forever. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, viffer said:

The only problem with this is if the guy you finally settle on is hired by another team by the time your 40 interviews are finished. A lot of teams are looking for head coaches; we don't want to wind up with one of the leftovers.

These interviews will go quick bc they're all virtual. Bienemy is doing 2 today which never would have happened any other year. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Bienemy has too much baggage.  Got in trouble for leaving the scene of an accident, charged with a DUI in a separate incident.  Got banned from the Colorado campus for 1 year for harassing and assaulting a parking lot attendant. This was all many years ago but it sticks with you forever. 

#leaderOfMen

4 minutes ago, viffer said:

There was already a report in the media that CJ, Hymie the Robot, and JD will be involved in the search, with CJ making the final decision. So expect many more years of misery...

The owner makes the final decision in every organization on every matter. It's their team. You don't think BB has to get the ok to sign a FA from Kraft? You'd be very mistaken. They're the ones signing the checks. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the presumption is that someone who is a good coordinator can rise to the level of a good HC.

But the key to me is that the HC can't be a de facto coordinator as well.  

Rex, Bowles and Gase were de facto DCs and OC.  Some would argue that Bowles was not, but then Kacy was not doing the job either.   When Chan Gailey was Bowles OC the team looked pretty good.  With Morton and Bates, with bad talent, not as much.  

Yeah?

Rex

Bowles

Gase?

Have we not learned our lesson?

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Didn't know this.  Also what has he done over the past two years to
make himself a more attractive candidate?  People forget he was on the
candidate list when we hired Gase

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The owner makes the final decision in every organization on every matter. It's their team. You don't think BB has to get the ok to sign a FA from Kraft? You'd be very mistaken. They're the ones signing the checks. 

Welcome to corporate America.  The senior manager/executive always has the "final say"...it's 99.9% of the time a stamp of approval.  The direct manager makes the hire.

Nothing to see here folks.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

IMO none of these request are actually going to get the position.  It is completely possible they knock their interviews out of the water and surprise for sure, but the singular one thing I have heard from the middle of the season on is that the jets are looking for a true HC/CEO with a commanding personality and presence.  

So far those names do not necessarily immediately fit that description. 

I'm your huckleberry

g.jpg

16 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Understood, but the report I read earlier made it sound like CJ was running the process, with JD giving input, not the other way around. I know the owner signs the check and has the final say, but this sounded more like the process that landed us Gase.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

That’s true.  However, do you really think Kraft overrides BB often?  Kraft doesn’t need to call around the league or hire headhunters to get his intel.  He trusts BB and for good reason.

24 minutes ago, choon328 said:

BB never wanted to get rid of Garoppolo but Brady went to Kraft and they traded him..

This is good, I want them to interview at least a dozen candidates, then narrow to 4-5 for 2nd interviews. No need to rush this process, there isn’t one guy i believe we have to have. I am fine if this takes a month or more...plus sometimes some people shake lose late. I know, that can also be a bad thing, i.e. Gase!