Jets HC interview requests

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Arthur Smith is a good candidate. He’s done a lot for that offense in Tennessee 

Has he though? Wasn't he the same OC that completely failed with Mariota? Tennessee has a ridiculously good RB that makes play action exceedingly effective. I would be extremely skeptical of him being as good as he looks now. He really is the stereotype of "hot OC" candidate.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Has he though? Wasn't he the same OC that completely failed with Mariota? Tennessee has a ridiculously good RB that makes play action exceedingly effective. I would be extremely skeptical of him being as good as he looks now. He really is the stereotype of "hot OC" candidate.

He replaced Lafleur in 2019 as OC

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What? 

Coordinators getting interviews based off of their units having good seasons. In terms of criteria, I'd prefer a coach with more experience doing everything. Another coordinator hire just feels like spinning your tires in the mud. There's no real foundation in place here and to date we havent seen Douglas as the strong point person, so our hope is that it's the HC. If the goal is to build a culture, hiring a coach who has done it already would be a good start.

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

That's the Lafleur favored to got to SB with GB right? Its SO hard to extrapolate causality and impact from this stuff. 

With Bienemy, I just think you need to be careful with the character stuff from earlier in his life at Colorado. If you feel he is the guy and that he is a different person now and able to speak to how he has grown on from that period of his life, fine. 

I see a lot of notes on his not being the ultimate playcaller at KC, and others who want a CEO/executive type - it seems from what I've read that he is their glue guy and that people like him both because of his impact on the offense there but also because he has that 'connect with everyone' ability that might allow him to be an effective CEO coach. I just fear our organization is highly likely to be the target of press warfare on his hire if people do some digging and you'd need to really vet this carefully. Given how omnipresent his name has been in the interview processes of the past few season, I think this is likely the sticking issue for the guy.

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Right and he sucked with Mariota, they switched QBs and the offense took off. Maybe Mariota just sucks that bad, but maybe it's just the combination of players as well. Just saying he might not be as strong a candidate as he seems. To be honest, not excited about any of the names today especially Bienimy. Often times the first round are the lesser guys then when they have a lot of free into they interview the ones they are more serious about.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Coordinators getting interviews based off of their units having good seasons. In terms of criteria, I'd prefer a coach with more experience doing everything. Another coordinator hire just feels like spinning your tires in the mud. There's no real foundation in place here and to date we havent seen Douglas as the strong point person, so our hope is that it's the HC. If the goal is to build a culture, hiring a coach who has done it already would be a good start.

Agree with the basic premise (I also don't want a coordinator), but the candidates being discussed aren't all coordinators. 

I have heard Campbell (who I want), Dan Mullen, and even Harbaugh (who I don't believe will come here). 

Also, for what it's worth, Gase was an experienced head coach when we hired him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Agree with the basic premise (I also don't want a coordinator), but the candidates being discussed aren't all coordinators. 

I have heard Campbell (who I want), Dan Mullen, and even Harbaugh (who I don't believe will come here). 

Also, for what it's worth, Gase was an experienced head coach when we hired him. 

I havent seen any interview requests for the college HC's yet.

Gase was a failed Dolphins HC who immediately landed the Jets gig after being fired. That hire was also universally panned. I think everyone would be happy with Campbell.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Gase was a failed Dolphins HC who immediately landed the Jets gig after being fired. That hire was also universally panned. I think everyone would be happy with Campbell.

My fear is that Campbell still has no interest. 

• Upvote 1

Brian Daboll please. If not Daboll, I’d like someone from the college rank. 

One thing we should do is stay away from Bienemy. We truly need a leader more now than ever and he comes with a sh*t load of baggage. In addition, who really knows how much influence he has in KC? 
A. He does not call the plays. 
B. With Mahomes-Hill-Kelce and that entire KC talent, exactly how much do we know how much impact Bienemy is making. 

I rather see a coach get the most out of less talent. 

• Upvote 2

Brian Daboll news is the most exciting for me but I like the list so far.

- Josh Allen, better every season

- 5 rings with NE, 1 with Alabama

- Our former QB Coach under Mangini

- Hope he brings Ken Dorsey the Bills QB Coach to be our OC. Dorsey was the QB coach when Cam won his MVP with the Panthers. Oddly enough he was also the Assistant Athletic Director for FIU when James Morgan (our backup QB) transferred there.

- Weaken a Division Rival while also learning that players weaknesses. I love the idea of adding him especially since the Bills look to be the top dog for the foreseeable future.

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Gase was a desperation hire because the other top candidates rejected the Jets over money/assistant veto rights. The whole Peyton Manning thing was a PR cover to hide that fact.

39 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Basing and conducting the search off of how a coordinators specific unit performed last season is the wrong way to run a search imo, especially if they are truly looking for a CEO type of leader. 

Agree, mostly. We shouldn't just be looking at the top performing offenses and listing the OCs in order. If we go the coordinator route, I want a guy who has created something worth more than the sum of its parts. Daboll fits the bill. Roman and Arthur Smith also to some extent. Bieniemy does not. And I'd have that opinion even if he had full control over the offense, which he also does not. I don't even want to think about Schottenheimer.

5 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

“Joe (Douglas) is the GM we’ve been searching for for years.” - Christopher Johnson

He's GM'ing where football is going.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

is there a Gase 2.0 that we ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT?

Lewis?

O'Brien?

O'Brien for sure IMO.  I'm also not sold on Bienemy and Roman.

I think my list is Matt Campbell (longshot), Daboll (will be tough to get), Arthur Smith (possible).

One thing I was curious about was the connection of Joe Douglas and others in the Jets FO (Phil Savage, Rex Hogan, etc.) to these candidates.  I heard about Hogan and Eberflus, but what others are there?  Can we glean any possibilities based on who Joe and others have worked with in places like Philly, Baltimore, Indy, Cleveland, etc.?