Vince Lombardi

Al McGuire once told a story about meeting Vince Lombardi in a card room.  Vince said “deal the cards” and the guy at the next table starting dealing!  Now that’s leadership.  The Johnsons probably wouldn’t have hired Lombardi because of his accent.

I don’t care which side of the ball the new coach comes from.  Douglas must find a leader.  

7 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Al McGuire once told a story about meeting Vince Lombardi in a card room.  Vince said “deal the cards” and the guy at the next table starting dealing!  Now that’s leadership.  The Johnsons probably wouldn’t have hired Lombardi because of his accent.

I don’t care which side of the ball the new coach comes from.  Douglas must find a leader.  

And price tag. They'd rather pay two bums at the same time for the same money it would take to get a premium HC in the door.

I heard Bill Curry tell a story about Lombardi when, unfortunately, Curry was HC at Bama....

"We (the Packers) were practicing and one of our players (I can't remember who he said so I'll say "Joe Smith") made a mistake and Lombardi ran over to him and cussed him out, yelling 'Smith, you have to make that block you ugly, dumb, sonofabitch!!' Later Lombardi noticed Smith off to the side all sad looking because coach cussed him out, so Lombardi went over to him and said 'I'm sorry, Smith, you're not that ugly'"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, jgb said:

And price tag. They'd rather pay two bums at the same time for the same money it would take to get a premium HC in the door.

After the year they just went through, I don’t think (hope) the Johnsons are going to cheap out.  The guys that would command huge bucks aren’t likely to be available or wont want to come here.  

I think there could be several guys who kill the interview process and we have to hope Douglas can recognize leadership qualities.  The difference this time around is frauds like Gaze and Peyton and Casserly and Jed Hughes won’t be able to bullsh*t the brothers.

Our only hope lies with Douglas.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

After the year they just went through, I don’t think (hope) the Johnsons are going to cheap out.  The guys that would command huge bucks aren’t likely to be available or wont want to come here.  

I think there could be several guys who kill the interview process and we have to hope Douglas can recognize leadership qualities.  The difference this time around is frauds like Gaze and Peyton and Casserly and Jed Hughes won’t be able to bullsh*t the brothers.

Our only hope lies with Douglas.

Finally we will have a hiring-process that doesn't involve Korn Ferry, failed FO guys, or players that jilted the Jets not once but twice

• Post of the Week 1