Jim Harbaugh possibly interested in Jets?

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Harbaugh couldn't win at Michigan where he's in control of everything about that roster why does everyone assume he'd win here. 

Because Joey D is gonna get him the best players.

Joey D is the booster supreme.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Barkus said:

I’m good with Harbaugh. He is a culture builder and proven winner. He made it to Super Bowls and championship games with Alex smith and kaperdoofus. Draft fields, pair with him Harbaugh and LFG! 

He is no Parcells but may be the closest thing out there I think. It would similar to parcells replacing Kotite.

Everyone is blowing Arthur Smith for turning Tannehill around when Harbaugh literally took one of the biggest busts in Nfl draft history and turned him into a really good player in Alex Smith.  He knows how to coach QBs, and mobile QBs, and his system is very QB friendly.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not sure that's the truth.  it clearly hasn't happened in Michigan.

He did have some problems with the SF GM but there are a lot of reports it was more on the GM than Harbaugh.

Moreover, like anyone else - he can learn from mistakes.

I would love to hire him...

This is 100% correct. The GM Baalke was a raging douchebag and sucked at his job. 

Harbaugh could see all of this, so went to ownership for more control, Baalke threw him under the bus and got him canned. 

Harbaugh went on to keep winning football games and Baalke subsequently got fired from SF for continuing to suck. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Harbaugh couldn't win at Michigan where he's in control of everything about that roster why does everyone assume he'd win here. 

Which other current Jets coaching candidates have won more games? In college or the NFL. He's literally the ONLY one that has proven anything at this level.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Which other current Jets coaching candidates have won more games? In college or the NFL. He's literally the ONLY one that has proven anything at this level.

He won with a stacked niners team. This Jets team is far from stacked. His winning % at Mich against top 25 teams is .440 and .154 against top 10 teams.  Sorry I'm not enthused with a guy just because he's a familiar name. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Everyone is blowing Arthur Smith for turning Tannehill around when Harbaugh literally took one of the biggest busts in Nfl draft history and turned him into a really good player in Alex Smith.  He knows how to coach QBs, and mobile QBs, and his system is very QB friendly.

What young QB has Harbaugh developed at Michigan ? . 

I'm not too thrilled about this.

I'm a Michigan fan, and was thrilled to see him come to college. His recruiting has been decent, but he's barely turning them into talent. You see someone like Donavan People-Jones or Tarik Black be highly recruited and pretty much do nothing there.

His offensive philosophy is so old school, I think even Rex Ryan would hit refresh. I know he had success with the 49ers, but he's been a disappointment in Ann Arbor.

It's not that he doesn't beat Ohio State (their recruiting is next level), or be a championship contender, but the fashion in which the team fails. Offense doesn't develop anyone. Without looking it up, who was the highest picked skill position player from Michigan, while he was there? I'm not saying he should be a draft factory, but his system doesn't work in elevating the talent, but rather trying to fit the talent to his system. This is the exact same issue we just fired.

I know he helped develop Luck, but what percentage is the Peyton Manning effect with Gase?

He helped develop Smith to an extent, but how much did the surrounding cast help? They had Delanie Walker, Vernon Davis, Crabtree, Ginn Jr. and a much younger Frank Gore. That's a team custom built to be great based on a ground and pound system. Two TE match up nightmares in Walker/Davis with a good receiver. How much of it is him, and how much is it that team?

I'm not going to be pissed if he's hired, because maybe he hires good assistants, but I don't understand why he's considered a genius.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I wanted Jim Harbaugh for Trevor Lawrence and I still want Jim Harbaugh (for Justin Fields). 

fields.harbaugh.thumb.jpg.75c4629f2cfad326146ca3494b88ef51.jpg

jim_harbaugh_new_york_jets.thumb.jpg.8d2c1d227ddfa285567990709d0cf3f3.jpg

1761922953_download(5).jpeg.b604d17175bc529d6ccd4b8470d7e691.jpeg

Jim Harbaugh has been #1 on my list for many of years now. 

Please JD. Make it happen.

It’s looking like he’s using us to get an extension but who knows?

Harbaugh is absolutely who we need to hire.  Hire Harbaugh then sure go ahead and draft Fields I have the utmost confidence in Harbaugh’s ability to get the most out of Fields or even Sam

9 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

He won with a stacked niners team. This Jets team is far from stacked. His winning % at Mich against top 25 teams is .440 and .154 against top 10 teams.  Sorry I'm not enthused with a guy just because he's a familiar name. 

Maybe you can answer the original question: which other candidate has proven that he can win as a head coach on this level?

10 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Harbaugh is "just" a familiar name? This comment shows you know absolutely nothing about what he has done. Way to go, you singled out a bad winning percentage at just one of his coaching stops, and a selective winning percentage at that, while ignoring all the factors you know fully well exist in the college ranks in regards to recruiting, competition, and school location. 

The guy has had two losing seasons in his entire coaching career. One of them a shortened Covid season that the Big10 botched, the other his first year at Stanford taking over a sh*t team. 

The 49ers teams he coached became elite because HE turned a bust QB and crappy Kaepernick into respectable QBs that elevated those Niner teams. 

He is directly credited with developing Smith, Kaep, Luck at Stanford. And credited with turning SF elite. Not surprisingly after he left SF, that "stacked" team immediately dissapeared. 

2007 5-11 (Nolan)

2008 7-9 (Nolan)

2009 8-8 (Singletary

2010 6-10 (Singletary) 

2011 13-3 (Harbaugh)

2012 11-4-1 (Harbaugh)

2013 12-4 (Harbaugh)

2014 8-8  (Harbaugh)

2015 5-11 (Tomsula) 

2016 2-14 (Kelly)

2017 6-10 (Shanahan) 

2018 4-12 (Shanahan)

Sooo let's see, the 4 years before AND after he was there between 4 different coaches, SF never had a winning season. The 4 years he WAS there, all they did was win. Guess that's just a bit of a coincidence. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He will. This is 100% him negotiating a better deal. 

The AD offered Harbaugh only a 5 year extension with lower base pay than his current contract and a lower buyout for both sides. That is not the kind of new contract offer an AD makes to his football coach if he REALLY wants to keep him. It's more like a signal to the coach to look for a job elsewhere.

Here is basically a summary of what he's done as a coach:

In his first head coaching job, he went 11-1 in back-to-back seasons at San Diego. In 2010, he led Stanford to a 12-1 record, while finishing with the No. 4 ranking in the nation. His 49ers were a pair of fumbled punts away from reaching the Super Bowl the next year. In the 2012 season, the 49ers were five yards from scoring the go-ahead touchdown in the final minutes of the Super Bowl. The next season, he reached the NFC Championship for a third straight season.

Inheriting a team which went 5-7 in 2014, Harbaugh went 10-3 in his first season as coach at Michigan. In 2016, a double-overtime loss to Ohio State stopped the Wolverines from reaching the Big Ten title game. In four of his first five years in Ann Arbor, Michigan finished ranked in the top 20 in the nation.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

stacked 49ers team?

the niners record in the years before harbaugh took over:

6-10, 8-8, 7-9, 5-11, 7-9, 4-12, 2-14, 7-9

you have to go back 8 years to mariucci's last season to find a winning record and playoff appearance.

harbaugh shows up and they go 13-3, 11-4-1, 12-4, making 3 straight nfl title games.

if you want to criticize his lack of success against o$u and other ranked teams at michigan, it's a fair criticism.  but let's not diminish how successful he was as an nfl head coach.  

46 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Harbaugh is "just" a familiar name? This comment shows you know absolutely nothing about what he has done. Way to go, you singled out a bad winning percentage at just one of his coaching stops, and a selective winning percentage at that, while ignoring all the factors you know fully well exist in the college ranks in regards to recruiting, competition, and school location. 

The guy has had two losing seasons in his entire coaching career. One of them a shortened Covid season that the Big10 botched, the other his first year at Stanford taking over a sh*t team. 

The 49ers teams he coached became elite because HE turned a bust QB and crappy Kaepernick into respectable QBs that elevated those Niner teams. 

He is directly credited with developing Smith, Kaep, Luck at Stanford. And credited with turning SF elite. Not surprisingly after he left SF, that "stacked" team immediately dissapeared. 

2007 5-11 (Nolan)

2008 7-9 (Nolan)

2009 8-8 (Singletary

2010 6-10 (Singletary) 

2011 13-3 (Harbaugh)

2012 11-4-1 (Harbaugh)

2013 12-4 (Harbaugh)

2014 8-8  (Harbaugh)

2015 5-11 (Tomsula) 

2016 2-14 (Kelly)

2017 6-10 (Shanahan) 

2018 4-12 (Shanahan)

Sooo let's see, the 4 years before AND after he was there between 4 different coaches, SF never had a winning season. The 4 years he WAS there, all they did was win. Guess that's just a bit of a coincidence. 

I personally think Harbaugh the coach is exactly what the Jets need. He's a terrific coach with a proven ability of getting the most out of his players. I just don't know it his politics would work. 

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

The Jets arent going to be employing high school QBs

The point is he and his staff control 100% who they select for their QB's from among the 50 states and beyond. If he was such a proficient QB developer , why hasn't Michigan had a great QB during his tenure. Its not like he's HC at Albany St, its Michigan , Sorry hard pass .

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Maybe you can answer the original question: which other candidate has proven that he can win as a head coach on this level?

Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell, Jim Spagnolo, . We don't know the complete list yet , so some other guys may surface. But just because a guy won many years ago, it doesn't guarantee anything in the Jets current situation. McCarthy in Dallas is a prime example , he won before and had one of the best QB's in the game in GB , way better than Alex Smith or Kap - and he's falling flat on his face in Dallas. Just because a guy has a name and it worked in a different location, means nothing. 

13 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

What did that "stacked" Niner's team do with Mike Singletary before Harbaugh got there ?

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

2007 5-11 (Nolan)

2008 7-9 (Nolan)

2009 8-8 (Singletary

2010 6-10 (Singletary) 

2011 13-3 (Harbaugh)

2012 11-4-1 (Harbaugh)

2013 12-4 (Harbaugh)

2014 8-8  (Harbaugh)

2015 5-11 (Tomsula) 

2016 2-14 (Kelly)

2017 6-10 (Shanahan) 

2018 4-12 (Shanahan)

The 49ers parlayed years of losing to stock  up and build a stacked roster. Harbaugh was a benefactor of those bad seasons just like Parcells was the benefactor of the Jets poor seasons . And I'll ask the question again who was responsible for the QB turnaround , was it Harbaugh or was it Greg Roman , who is doing similar things with Lamar Jackson in Baltimore.